Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

robotbuilder:So who can fix / modify messenger bags & fanny packs?

Seriously, I am serious this time!

I need a 72hr turnaround on this. . . Please.
    Will pay cash, or trade bike parts.

Call me if you can help me out.
    Thanks!
    [:|]

[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

true my rear wheel and i will buy you beer !
    whisper memrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

robo - fix, probably. modify, maybe. what do you need done?Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUm,Bro?

if anyone can replace a busted spoke ill buy em a beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorUm,Bro?
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009

ah, cool, ill check it out
    • CommentAuthorgemathy
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Is anyone good at putting up shelves?! I've spent the past four days in the throes of a shelving crisis. Posting this here means I'm desperate. I would love your skill to be shared, but I can also pay you money. Because I'm so fucking rich and don't know what to do with my millions. I live in JP. I need to put up four more floating shelves into the outdated walls of my apartment. I currently have half of one of the four shelves up...and now there's a screw stuck half way into the wall possibly in some sort of metal stud? the head is stripped and it's covered in disaster. Would need to do this Thursday night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

i have outdated walls as well, they too have dry wall over strips of metal. there is no such thing as a stud to screw into, i have to use plastic mollies that i drill into. i don't know if you've tried that yet, you can pick them up at most hardware stores. here is an article that explains how to mount things in drywall, it only shows metal molly bolts but there are tube-like things that go in the way and then grab in, like how the metal one pictured does. i would recommend going with that, and probably just spackling over the one that's stuck already.
    I could probably do this for a beer or something. I'm strangely handy with most things and also cars. As long as you have a level, I have a stud finder, a drill, and might have a pair of pliers? Will also need a hammer. I think I lost mine in a move.Girls on bikes really turn my crank
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

yeah i just checked this thread for the first time in a while and i see people need spokes replaced and wheels trued. i can do this. hit me up.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

whispered u streettumbler.

yeah, lauren, thanks for that article! I have been using the toggle bolts and I think the hardware store guy, while the toggles were good advice, set me up with inadequate screws....they seem too short and the head is too small. (giggle) and they're just so time consuming...switching drill bits and getting the toggle to click open and then hand screwing to tighten... I can't use the mollies cause they are more permanent and these will prob come down when I move who knows when.

but anyway, I spent the day venting about it all to my captive audience of a full day of brazilian waxes today so, I feel better and didn't do shit about it tonight and I think I swindled my momma into coming in to help so I'm 50% less desperate to get these things up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009

haha. ok. if you've got metal behind your walls, though, a stud-finder will be useless. sadly, you are likely lacking in studs, and thus unable to just screw/hammer into the wall and expect it to not rip out. i had to come to the same sad realization about my apartment and got free-standing bike racks since i couldn't feasibly do hooks. i would just use the mollies and then spackle/paint over them before you leave.
    • CommentAuthorbrittle
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009 edited

can someone help my roommate build up her bike? she just got it powdercoated and needs (probably) a new bottom bracket and all of the tools that put bikes together. it is a nishiki 10spd.

a day this week (like, asap) would be the best. she is cool and there will be many beers involved for your efforts! also she would pay for any parts that need to be purchased to make it go together.

if you can do this someday after 4 30 pm at our house in JP, whisper me and i'll give you her info to set up an exact time.

thanks!disco visp
    If she can wait till next Thursday she can do Tool Time at Bikes Not Bombs...access to more tools than she needs, mechanics on hand...extra parts and what not...in general Tool Time is every other Thursday...will let everyone know when it's coming up.I haven't gotten to that part of the poop yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

Who can cut hair and wants to cut mine? I have some sweet skillz (see earlier in this thread), so I can help you with something and we can do a skill tradesie. Or something. HOLLABehind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    • CommentAuthorgrev
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

i will murder your head caitnot another pitcher!
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009

anyone know their way around old 35mm cameras? i have an old fujica 35-SE. i've tried following the manual but the shutter seems to be stuck-- film loads and can be advances, and when i click the shutter i can hear it release, but the shutter doesn't open. how do i shot web/halp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

^^^dont cut your hair.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorben

(i think you're a month too late)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotosan

^^^ Xue, your shutter plane is off. Take it to EP Levine's, they're located on the dry docks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

hah wow that was a month ago. dang. oh well. her hair looks pretty damn good right now.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorCarter
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009

Could someone help me make a polo mallet or trade beers or legal tendrr for a somewhat jankety one that might be kicking around? Just got back from NYC and have since become polo curious.It's not francois' fault that you weren't looking hard enough.
    • CommentAuthorbrittle
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009

^ haha polo curiousdisco visp
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

hey does anyone on here know how to cut hairs? i need to have my hairs cut.
    alternatively, does anyone know of a good and cheap (around $20) barber?
    thanks in advance!RIDE METAL
    if you don't find any cutters from the board ill say floyds on mass ave by the csc is pretty solid for a quality inexpensive cutsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Can someone mend a wool hoodie of mine. It needs some serious time/love/attention. I will happily keep company while it's mended and/or supply booze to consume after then mending - as consumption during the mending will likely end in my hoodie, and other articles of clothing on fire (wouldn't be the first time).

Basically I need the edges around a hole stitched, the cuffs stitched, and then a patch and some fabric sewn on. I'll cover costs of materials.

<3's anyone?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010

i am filing taxes for the first time as a self employed (sole proprietor) photographer.
    i know little to nothing about the process and its kinda stressing me out.
    do any of you have any experience with this stuff or know anyone who could maybe help?
    it would be VERY MUCH appreciated and I would certainly make it worth your while.
    thanks!RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

eBAUMANN:i am filing taxes for the first time as a self employed (sole proprietor) photographer.
    do any of you have any experience with this stuff or know anyone who could maybe help?
    it would be VERY MUCH appreciated and I would certainly make it worth your while.
    thanks!

If you don't have too complicated of a tax situation, TurboTax is good. I used it the past couple of years. All you need are your W2s, and it's a really simple interface that's prompts all the input. I believe the federal is free and they charge a little for the state, but WAY less than H&R block.

Unfortunately I can't use them this year cause I worked for 6 different places and am considered an "independent contractor" so it's a bit more complicated..hope it helps!
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited

tanooki:
    eBAUMANN:i am filing taxes for the first time as a self employed (sole proprietor) photographer.
    thanks!

If you don't have too complicated of a tax situation, TurboTax is good. I used it the past couple of years. All you need are your W2s, and it's a really simple interface that's prompts all the input. I believe the federal is free and they charge a little for the state, but WAY less than H&R block.

Unfortunately I can't use them this year cause I worked for 6 different places and am considered an "independent contractor" so it's a bit more complicated..hope it helps!
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/

thanks for the reply, i looked into turbo tax but my stuff is gonna be a little more involved (I have about 10-15 clients and only have and a ton of write-offs and deductions and such).
    i have asked friends in similar situations and they all seem to have a friend of the family or something who is doing their stuff for free.
    i dunno, just feelin kinda lost at the moment, searching for someone who can make sense of all this for me... (that sounds so religious)RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

calling ella - my stuff is way less complicated, just annoying b/c i had four jobs in the past year. but she gave me a lot of good advice on where to find free help (provided that you made less than $50,000) that i clearly did not heed, as i do not remember where to go. but perhaps she will chime in and give you the details.

also, eric, do you still need that hoodie mended? if so, i can do that.
    OOOOOOOOO yes yes yes yes a thousand times yes. Can we work out some sort of trade since I'm all poor right now? Maybe a spiderplantling or something?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthordub

The skill I'm proud of is building my first bike, and doing so in a way that gave mea damn-near perfect chainline. For a first build, I'm fucking proud!I have a two part question: 1. Why is he doing that? And 2. Should we light him on fire.
    thanks!

people in boston get free tax prep assistance if you make less than 49k for the year... these are all the sites you can go to...
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010

a spiderplantling is all that i could ever want!!!
    Anybody have any experience/skills bending conduit? I have a conduit bender, and have dabbled, but I'm really not any good at it.I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    • CommentAuthorslowski

it's best to learn the math so when making a full hoop, square, rectangle you don't run out of tube or make retarded shapes. I have a sheet of paper somewhere with instructions. basically start with a test bend to record the data. use a 3' piece of material, make a mark 1' down the length. line your 1' mark up to the shackle/beginning of the die, make a 90* bend (make sure it doesn't slip or the #'s will be off) take your bent piece and place it in a carpenter square, the side with the 1' mark will now be some amount of inches more than 1' and the remaining 2' will be some amount of inches less. write down these measurements for your calculations. different diameters and wall thicknesses will produce different data.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    ^If you have the EMT bender I'm not sure what else you need other than practice. I'm only okay at making bends, in that I often enough don't plan my bends ahead of time. What's your question?[all your base are belong to us]
    You're right, practice is what I need, and a basic understanding of how to plan and calculate, etc. I just thought if there was someone who really knew their stuff, having a person as a teacher is easier than trying to read up on it or find youtube videos. I may be trying to build a bike trailer to pull a kayak. I have a current set-up but it's not quite perfect...gets a bit wobbly laterally at speed, so I was thinking of trying a different design, with a seatpost attachment rather than onto the chainstay. This would mean the trailer tracked directly behind the bike, but requires a few bends to accomodate the back of the bike, if ya know what I mean.I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    ^Sounds like a cool project. . . but when it comest to actually making stuff, slowski is an order of magnitude more experienced than I. Good luck.[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

Is anyone really good at drawing crows? I have had a sick fascination with them for the last couple of years and I need a very specific style/drawing made. I can trade a headbadge for the drawing.this wont hurt a bit...
    ^i feel like alex (killersim) would be able to do a badass crowsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010

Can any of you folks help me tune my 9-spd road whip, brifters/derailleurs and such? I know only the basics and while its almost functional, its not perfect. Thanks in advance!RIDE METAL
    Shimano, campy, sram? I've tuned my shimano mountain stuff more times than I can count, but I don't know about any others.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I will trade use of a basement bike shop in Lower Allston for any knowledge about bikes. Specifically wheels (builds etc) and fixie components.

I have a Park stand, good starter set of tools, plus a decent amount of room. I'm hungry for knowledge so hit me up if you're wicked smaat about bikes kid.aka BikeNinja - Always wear protection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010

eBAUMANN:Can any of you folks help me tune my 9-spd road whip, brifters/derailleurs and such? I know only the basics and while its almost functional, its not perfect. Thanks in advance!

I can help you out. Out of town racing this weekend but early next week? I assume basically the main thing is dialing in the shifting?"You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    • CommentAuthorbird
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

so i took my bike apart to paint it ---- i got everything back together, and have been riding for awhile now.
    Now my fork has a lot of play. I'm thinking I didn't put my headset back together properly. Could anyone help me in the cambridge/somerville area? If not when is the next basement bike fixin party?
    I keep riding it with the play, and I have a bad feeling that I may end up face first in the road losing front teeth again
    :-(
    •  
      CommentAuthorthepeo
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

im not a pro but here's what i got for ya.

THREADLESS
    Make sure to tighten the top cap BEFORE tightening the stem. The top cap adds pressure to the stem, any spacers, and the headset. If you do it AFTER the stem, stem wont move and it won't add any pressure. too tight - fork won't rotate, too loose - you'll have play

I've also been in a scenario where I forgot this lil plastic spacer that went on the inside of my headset (top bearing). It took away a lil extra play between the headset and the steerer tube.

THREADED
    Should have two nuts with a lock washer in between. loosen the top lock nut so you can tighten/loosen the larger nut. again- too tight, cant rotate, too loose, have play. then tighten the lock nut on top again to secure its position.

Or you put your headset in wrong.

Not sure im tellin ya anything you don't already know but hey, maybe it helps!http://www.grafikmag.com/index.php?m=GR&sub=GRdetail&id=430
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010 edited

anyone here expecially good at fixin computers?

the wireless on my laptop suddenly decided to stop working.

its an toshiba satellite a35-s159 computer.

please?

nvm, wireless works again. i guess i'm just a dummy at this.gone
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010 edited

anyone have a sewing machine/the talent to sew a patch/crotch reinforcement into a pair of my shorts?

edit: gonna try iron-on patch firstRIDE METAL
    eBAUMANN:anyone have a sewing machine/the talent to sew a patch/crotch reinforcement into a pair of my shorts?

edit: gonna try iron-on patch first

i certainly don't have a sewing machine or sewing talent but i've had success with doing the ol' over/under with a needle and thread after ironing on the patch. go at it from both sides, ya know?