Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Dana is the man for sewing type things. Did you see the amazing bags he did for Le Tour De Geek?[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorDana
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010

eBAUMANN:anyone have a sewing machine/the talent to sew a patch/crotch reinforcement into a pair of my shorts?

edit: gonna try iron-on patch first

haha thanks joshua
    yeah i'd go with ted and just handsew it. maneuvering a pair of pants/shorts around a sewing machine like that isn't fun. hand sewing is just the answer sometimes.Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    • CommentAuthorcorter
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010

I'm not sure where to put this, I figured yall are crafty folk so someone might know. I'm a leather smith, and I've been thinking it might be nice to get out of my workshop on the weekends. I was thinking about taking some stuff over to Harvard Square and setting up a blanket or small table on the sidewalk, just selling simple belts and a few wallets. I'm pretty sure there should be permits involved, so does anyone know what I have to do to get the right stuff and to be legal with this- or if it's even allowed? My Dad used to do it in the 70's, I'm just not trusting his "sell sandals, even cops love sandals" advice haha
    • CommentAuthorpete

corter:I'm not sure where to put this, I figured yall are crafty folk so someone might know. I'm a leather smith, and I've been thinking it might be nice to get out of my workshop on the weekends. I was thinking about taking some stuff over to Harvard Square and setting up a blanket or small table on the sidewalk, just selling simple belts and a few wallets. I'm pretty sure there should be permits involved, so does anyone know what I have to do to get the right stuff and to be legal with this- or if it's even allowed? My Dad used to do it in the 70's, I'm just not trusting his "sell sandals, even cops love sandals" advice haha

There's a story on the homeless dude who used to sell books in Harvard from last year from that has some info -- you'd have to start with a peddler's permit and a sidewalk obstruction permit it sounds like, and Harvard might not be easy to do legally.
    • CommentAuthorcorter

cool, thanks! Harvard was the first area that came to mind, so I'll keep researching permits and stuff- I'm sure there are plenty of areas in the city
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I have a patch that I would like sewn on one of my bags.
    Who's going to do it and what's it going to require in trade?e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    ^I'll do it for a beer or two.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorbrittle
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

to corter and other crafty types: if you want to bring wares to the clothing swap for the possibility of selling, please feel free! tiny house, in jamaica plain.. pm for address if you needz it!disco visp
    • CommentAuthorgc

corter i want/need you to repair two belts i have.
    (need a buckle sewed on one, the other needs to be shortened or have more holes punched in it.)gone
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Can you actually sew?
    I'm a bit old for punk rock style stitched on patches.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorcorter
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010 edited

brittle:to corter and other crafty types: if you want to bring wares to the clothing swap for the possibility of selling, please feel free! tiny house, in jamaica plain.. pm for address if you needz it!

Thanks for the invite! Unfortunately I'm going to be in Maine riding, but I'll absolutely pack a backpack full of stuff for the next one if you have one.

grey ham:corter i want/need you to repair two belts i have.
    (need a buckle sewed on one, the other needs to be shortened or have more holes punched in it.)

cool mate, that's no problem. I'll be gone next week but the week after I can do it for sure, just let me know when you want to. You'll have to come to my place- there's a bit of hammering involved and I'll need my tools.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

mrotown:Can you actually sew?
    I'm a bit old for punk rock style stitched on patches.

i can if craig can't. assuming you mean a bike bag i'd still handsew it over using a sewing machine so the lining doesn't get punctured. i could even embroider you something pretty, if you like. :)
    Who (if anyone) on this board mills their own circuit boards?
    I'd like to equip myself to have this capability but want to pick a knowledgeable brain before spending the money on a setup.

[:|][all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010

^I know how to etch copper does that count?

also would anyone be interested in having some sort of crafter-noon type thing where we all got together and made things?this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010

yes!
    who can teach me how to weld, solder, braze, or whatever. i just want to learn.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010

I can teach you how to solder for electronics and for jewlery/fine metals type stuff.

don't know brazing or welding.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010

also I would need a torch to make half that statement come true.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorlmaligaya
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2010

I can sandblast parts. Email me at lawrence.maligaya (at) gmail.com
    hahah, thanks shane. if that 2nd bit ever happens for you, lemme knowsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    i can basically build a house wire it plumb it and all... also weld.

got 2 migs, a stick, oxy-acetylene, and with in the next few months i plan on investing in a tungsten inert gas welding device.

my friend taught me how to weld when i was 17 in the basement of the smfa and im 24 now...

been doing construction shit since i was 8 with the dad.he also taught me how to work on motorcycles and engines that have carborators

also i fux wif elektrunekz 4 funz.

I'm gonna build a legit welding table and ventilation system when i get the tig so i guess i could teach khedz in the future on a buy your own stock and rods basis.

I cant wait to put stupid gussets on my bikes... I do not have aluminum/stainless experience because it's pretty bad for you.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2010

anyone know of a competant/cheap place/person to record some musics? either in boston or nyc. my brothers band is in need.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthordub
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010

^you have a Berklee kid capable of renting the studios for up to Four hours here. Cheap, capable, and an excellent mix engineer/producer.I have a two part question: 1. Why is he doing that? And 2. Should we light him on fire.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010

can anyone help me out this week and cut my fork? I don't have a vice, nor hacksaw and haven't done it before :'O
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010

I've had good recoding experiences at godcity, outpost and new alliance. Lots of bad experiences at cheap spots. Depends what your budget is. My advice is spend shitloads or you will hate the end product.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2010

does anyone have access to a headset press I could use today or tomorrow? I really want to get my build together asap!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^you can get a piece of pvc pipe that is the rite size and use it + rubber mallet if you can't find a pressthis wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2010 edited

^^I just posted a how-to for a diy headset press about 3 days ago...$10 materials. Or come over and use mine tomorrow whenever you want.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

Just got a new sewing machine finally. Can help with things in exchange for things. Also, entertaining opportunities for a stitch 'n bitch.enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010 edited

I can chop bars down pretty quickly with an angle-grinder I'm borrowing. Easier/faster than hacksaw or pipe-cutter. Also the sparks are a bonus."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010

Hey can anyone true my rear wheel/teach me how? I can offer other mechanic skills, handyman skills, "cigarette" rolling prowess, cooking, whatever. I am currently unemployed so i'm around always. Preferably someone in the JP area because i'm pretty much on foot. If someone wanted to do this today that would be greatThere's always money in The Banana Stand
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011

^just seeing if anyone changed their mindThere's always money in The Banana Stand
    I need some strategies for getting a stuck zipper unstuck, otherwise I'm riding home in socks.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    i've heard you can rub a bar of soap on it? is it metal-on-metal stuck, or fabric-in-metal?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i did that once. i can't remember why i had to, but it was wet out and awful. i have no strategies, but i do advise you avoid it at all costs.
    It's plastic teeth metal zipper stuck. The worst kind. I think salt might be gumming up the works so I'ma hand wash it.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorDrscumphd

So Im always lookin for extra work if need be skills are as listed

Most things bike related example Fork overhauls manitou,rockshock some fox hydrolic brake overhauls Magura, shimano avid hayes wheel builds, tune up overhauls stuck stuff(seat post stems bbs)
    I work at superb

Cooking baking BBqing smoking whatever (Bachelors in culinary arts) Cromelugs also has this degree

teach ya how to swim if need be (was a swim team coach for a 5 years)
    Anyone ever dried orange peels for use as air freshener?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Yep. Works best if you dry them in a shallow amount of water and boil it down.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^more details. Wanna do this with all the peels from my clementines and soon to arrive fl citrus (thanks mom and dad!)clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011

When I was in college, I used to shred them fresh with a cheese grater and then simmer them on the stove (or in a cup on a hotplate when I was in the dorms). Add a little whole cloves and powdered nutmeg if you want to make it "orange spice."We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^thanks for the tip.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011

My personal favorite thing to do in the winter with a plethora of citrus fruit is to make candied orange (grapefruit, lemon, etc) peel:

wash fruit.
    remove peel, in the largest pieces possible. Eat fruit.
    Cover with water, bring to simmer, and simmer 30 min, drain, and simmer in fresh water until tender. Rinse in cold water & remove any goopy pith with a spoon. Cut into strips.
    make simple syrup with sugar equal to volume of peel. Add peel and cook over low heat until all the syrup is absorbed- don't let it burn at the end!

spread out on wax paper and roll in sugar. let dry for 1 hr. consume.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited

need someone with a heavy-duty sewing machine to repair/reinforce my baileyworks bag.

will fix yr bike buy you beers make you cookies trade you bike parts.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012

I'm bumping this because I'm in need of help.

I have a huge hole in my wall. My wall is made of horse-hair plaster. Does anyone know the best way to fix this? I'm looking to start working on it this week, maybe next.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012

i would imagine some kind of wire mesh patch and then spackle over it.
    there's mesh drywall tape exactly for this kind of thing: here.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorgc

ugh, fucking horsehair plaster. the worst.gone
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

my suggestion: cut your hole so it's relatively square. then cut out a new piece of drywall with the same thickness as the horse hair plastered wall, mount it to a piece of strapping, and then put the piece of strapping into the hole, with the new piece of drywall mounted outwards, filling your hole. secure the strapping to the wall with two screws, fill in the screw holes with spackle, and then plaster over the edges between your drywall "plug" and the hole. no one will know that there was a giant hole there previously. if this is terribly confusing, i can draw a picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012

1. Knock the wall down.

2. Build secret room behind wall.

3. Start evil empire.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)