Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMadden
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009

hey, I noticed there isn't a general travel thread. I am going to Australia at the beginning of July for my sister's wedding, and was just curious if anyone has been there, or was aware of any bike shops/locations or anything else that is worth checking out. I don't think I am going to bring my bike, but I was thinking about possibly renting one or something. any feedback is appreciated, thanks.http://petermaxfield.blogspot.com/
    • CommentAuthor.

I hear there's actually Outback Steakhouses in Australia and one shouldn't eat at a place called Taco Bill's.

Thats all the info I have on this subject.
    • CommentAuthorlissaandy

where in australia?fuck art, let's ride bikes
    • CommentAuthorMadden

Im staying in a small town that my sister's soon-to-be husband is from, I dont remember the name, but it is closer to melbourne, rather than sydney.http://petermaxfield.blogspot.com/
    • CommentAuthorlissaandy

Welp from what I know of Melbourne (say it like mel-bin, not mel-born or peeps will laugh at you) it's a lot like New York City. Lots of little neighborhoods that are wildly different from each other and that kind of take spending time there to understand and stuff. If you have Bank of America, I think Westpac exists out there (it's definitely in Sydney, though I know that doesn't help you at all) and they're in cahoots with BOA so that you can withdraw monies with no penalty.

That being said, Chapel Street is kind of like Newbury St/5th Ave/Champs élyssée, the Yarra River is pretty gorgeous, and QVB has a nice market.fuck art, let's ride bikes
    • CommentAuthorMadden

awesome, thanks for the heads up, that's going to be a huge help.I am curious to see what the bike crowd is like over there, so it sounds like I might get a taste of it in melbourne. and on a separate note, i dont think there should be outback steakhouses anywhere, especially australia.
    thanks againhttp://petermaxfield.blogspot.com/
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

Anyone know oceanside ca, prescott or flagstaff az, durango co, Taos or Albuquerque nm?
    specifically the bike stores in all and drinking establishments in oceanside or Albuquerque?

I'll be in all of them next week
    not Australia, but on travel ... I'm flying out to British Columbia this weekend to visit family and do a 650 mile ride across Vancouver Island. I just dropped off my bike at UPS to be shipped to my folks' place and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll see it when I get there.

also, just went up to Montreal a few weeks ago to hang out on Victoria Day weekend, and the bike paths in that city are sometimes nice and sometimes awkward; but riding around there is always fun. They've got the new Route Verte up there which is a completely off-street bike path that crosses the length of Quebec. Tempting to plan another tour up there sometime soon.
    • CommentAuthorLyzard
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

I'm going to Yellowstone this summer. for a week or so mid to end of august.
    anyone ever been there with a bike? My parents live there and dad rides the old raleigh around.

I could either ship it to Wyoming beforehand or try to fly with it. (another thread)
    Just wondering if it's worth bringing it out there or what.

Also, I am travelling to San Fran before Thanksgiving.
    For the simple reason that I need to visit California before I turn 30.
    I just need to go.
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

I've driven through Yellowstone, but have not ridden. Jawdroppingly gorgeous place. A friend of mine did a bike tour through Wyoming that included Yellowstone and said that while the scenery was gorgeous, the riding itself was wretched. The local roads in the park are really tight, have no shoulders and they're choked with RV's and mobile homes driven by folks who aren't paying any attention because they're all going "OMG Geyser!" or "O HAI MOOSE!" all the time.

oh, yeah, and check with your airline for their new oversized baggage fees. United wanted to charge me $175 each way to check my bike in. UPS was willing to ship my bike to Canada for $160. When I flew last year, the flight baggage fees were only $75 or $80 each way, but they've been hiking them up steadily over time.
    • CommentAuthorkayak

FYI: The bicycle fees for many major carriers is $175 *each way*.

Examples:
    United Airlines: $175 http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52906,00.html#bicycle
    Delta: $175 http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/fragile_bulky/sporting_goods/index.jsp#bicycles
    Continental : $15-$125. http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx
    Jetblue: $50 http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(2236)#s16
    i think our very own endurance nirvana has toured through there. he posted a thread about it, i think.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

can you pay for bike transportation with frequent flier miles? my stepdad has over half a million and I'm thinking of taking a day trip to chicago or SF...http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

afaik, you can't use frequent flier miles to offset baggage charges with either Star Alliance (United/US Airways) or SkyTeam (Delta/Continental). No idea about OneWorld or any of the other programs since I don't have miles with any of those guys. Elite status gets you benefits like one or two free checked standard sized bags; but they don't let you off the hook for oversized stuff like bike boxes.

Seriously, for a day trip? Fly into the city and rent something from a shop. That's what the girl and I did when we decided to cash in a bunch of miles for a weekend getaway to Boulder. Yeah, it's not your bike, but unless you've got some gimpy anatomical requirements that force you into using some uber-custom build, any rental is going to be more economical than paying to haul your bike across the country.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRob Gigantic
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited

Or just rent my flight case. It's small enough to fit within the allowable size limits.Word nerd
    I'm trying to decide on whether or not to bring my track pro or my Look when I go to England later this year and visit Manchester drome.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    • CommentAuthorstephen

i guess i've "lived" in australia for a while.. in melbourne.. and am moving back there in about a year or two.

here is this:

fixed.org.au/forum

shifter, abbotsford cyclery, bicycle recycles, bsc, cecil walker - these are decent shops in melb. there's another one too but i forget it's name. it's south of the yarra.

watch out for tram tracks. and i've always thought it to be awfully cloying when americans say "melbin" -- "melburn" is a lot less noticably out of alignment with the rest of your american accent.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

i'm leaving tomorrow for a Dublin-Belfast-Rotterdam/Amsterdam-Berlin-Swiss Alps-S. France-Paris vacation. Then instead of coming home i'm going to live in Paris for as long as possible (a month? six months? who knooooows....).

i don't have any questions or anything, but i'm excited and this thread was bumped so i posted. woo!
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

^that is nearly exactly what I want to do with my life. good luck.
    • CommentAuthorMadden

^^that does sound awesome, i want to go to europe at some point in my life, especially ireland. thanks for all the information on aus too, this has been really helpful and i really want to check out those shops when i'm over there.http://petermaxfield.blogspot.com/
    • CommentAuthorMadden

• CommentAuthorMadden

wow, much larger photo than i thought it was going to be. sorry. I'm probably the only kid that goes to art school and still doesnt know how to use photoshop, or anything else to resize it......sorry.http://petermaxfield.blogspot.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbshea81
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

leaving for argentina/peru in 6 hours!!!fool me once, shame on me. fool me twice, i guess im into trannies
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^snort some coke for me, mang! have a great time!
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

^ snort it? How eighties of you, ol 'nop. Cook that shit down with some baking soda and smoke it!We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJennyBee
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

I'm going to San Francisco next week to visit my brother and I am looking for biking tips. Anyone used to live there or know anyone who lives there that I can ride with? I am staying in the tender nob.
    So I almost posted this in the dumb questions thread, but then remembered there was a travel thread...Anyone have any suggestions for things to do in Berlin? I'm going next week and would appreciate any tips. Also, perhaps a long shot, but anyone know anyone with a bike in Berlin (or suggest a good place to rent one?)I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    Hey!

So a couple friends of mine and myself are going on a ride from Brookline to Brooklyn this summer, and we want you to come! We're leaving in early July, not sure when (I'll let yall know, it's not exactly the easiest thing for me to take of a flippant week of work, either) and taking an EASY RIDE over the course of about a week. Plan is to expect the full week for riding, then a few days to see respective (or collaborative!) heads in New York, stay a few days and truck/train it back over about 3 days (so yeah, like 11 days total for this trip) If you are interested let me know. These pallies, [Bryce Brashears and Anthony Boston] did here to Connecticut last summer (I couldn't go) in like 3, and have a pretty comprehensive list of bare necessities required. So you know, lemme know!Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    stingobango:So I almost posted this in the dumb questions thread, but then remembered there was a travel thread...Anyone have any suggestions for things to do in Berlin? I'm going next week and would appreciate any tips. Also, perhaps a long shot, but anyone know anyone with a bike in Berlin (or suggest a good place to rent one?)

Is it too late to suggest things in Berlin?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Nope, suggest away! I leave today at 6pm (but will probably have some internet access while there). Any suggestions are greatly appreciatedI thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    Woot! Whenever I get asked about Germany I end up sending a link to the blog I kept while I was studying abroad (omg i'm a unique snowflake!), which is dorky, but since it's so detailed and "omg we did this, and this, and this" you might get a better sense: http://mariannainregensburg.vox.com/library/posts/tags/berlin/

The Sammlung Berggruen is kind of awesome if you're into art, it's really tiny, but the work is pretty impressive. The Museum Insel flea market might be open, which was really amazing, better than a lot of museums. The statue of Marx and Engels is funny. East Side Gallery is cool to go and see what the wall looked like. The Jewish museum is notably NOT all about the holocaust. The Pergamon Museum is jaw-dropping, but not a necessity if you're not into history. If you eat meat you have to get Currywurst. And Doener Kebab if you've never had it. Prenzlauerberg and Kreuzberg are apparently the happnin' spots, but that's about all I know about happnin'-ness. There's also just a lot of really awesome, totally on-the-beaten-path stuff to see, like the Reichstag and the Brandenburg Gate and Checkpoint Charlie etc. etc. etc. If you want to do the "beer garden culture" stuff, that's more Southern German, but they know in Berlin that you might only have a chance to see Berlin, so they are willing to play it up. If you're into the wurst'n'sauerkraut'n'wheatbeer, Brauhaus Mitte in Alexanderplatz is good. Friggin Berliners only seem to drink Pilsner.

oh and there's this, like, art collective house called Tacheles, everyone told me to go there, I didn't, you can google for it.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorbird
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010

I'm heading to Acadia next weekend and I've never been before but I was hoping maybe I could get some suggestions of what campground is better, trails to take yada yada. Inside the park there are two campgrounds seawall and blackwoods pro/cons? or are there any better campsites outside the park?
    Was thinking about renting a bike up there since I don't have a moutian bike ---
    whatda think?
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited

I liked blackwoods. the girl and I camped at a KOA our first time out there and that was ... less than ideal. more like a dirt RV parking lot than a real campground. Blackwoods had decent privacy and noise levels. It's also not too far from Seal Harbor in cases of boy scout breakfast campfire fail and you just want to ride into town for a friggin' cup of coffee. Not that I speak from experience or anything ...

We took our bikes around the carriage roads by Jordan Pond, Eagle Lake and Bald Peak and had a lot of fun. You don't necessarily need a mountain bike, just relatively wide cyclocross-y tires. At the time, I was on a Trek 520 with 700x28's and she was on a hybrid with 700x32s.
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW

bird:I'm heading to Acadia next weekend and ...

I am from 20mi north of MDI. I agree, Blackwoods is great, you can hike Cadillac Mtn from the campground. Seawall is on the southern side of the sound, and i have always felt like it is just not as fun over there and just feels like it is too far away. If you can, hike (or ride up if you can handle it) cadillac mtn for sunrise. In the summer it is the first point that sees sunlight in the continental us. If you do rent bikes, check out Bar Harbor bikes downtown bar harbor. The visitors center at the head of the island (when you are going over the bridge) has free trail/biking/carriage path maps. They also have bike specific ones that are neat, and have elevation change and mileage. Anything around Jordan Pond is pretty cool, and they have awesome pop-overs. go here for hikes. Oh, and be aware that it my take you a long time to get onto the island, since it is memorial day weekend, and there is only 1 road in, and it is 1 lane.boooyah
    • CommentAuthorbird

great thanks for the info -- and we'll be headed there the weekend after memorial --- i thought it might be a zoo this weekend.
    It's been too long since I last camped --- I think I might like this get outa the car set up camp kinda thing though!
    It is really hard to "do work" when you're getting laid off in two weeks. So I am intertubing.

What suggestions do you all have for me as far as Wales (Conwy area) and Edinburgh?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I'm going to Barcelona with a lady friend for New Year's. Anyone ever been/have any suggestions?
    My friends from B-Lona gave us plenty of ideas, along with some internet researchin', but the more shit I can blow money on the better.Young, dumb, and full of cum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010

^just spend all your money before you get pick-pocketed.
    boundgear:Anyone know oceanside ca, prescott or flagstaff az, durango co, Taos or Albuquerque nm?
    specifically the bike stores in all and drinking establishments in oceanside or Albuquerque?

I'll be in all of them next week

may be too late, but Albuquerque blows...
    • CommentAuthorgrev
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010

a friend of mine has said abq is an awesome place. he's also homeless, fwiw.not another pitcher!
    barcelona has very skilled pickpockets.
    i recommend the sangria at la oveja negra. also the outdoor/indoor food market on Las Ramblas. Get some bread, cheese and fruit and CANDY and you are set for the day.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    We're staying pretty close to Las Ramblas.

Not too worried about pickpockets to be honest. I survived Europe intentionally trying to get a wallet (with folded paper in it) stolen. From the Netherlands to Rome and back, no bites!Young, dumb, and full of cum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited

^eat some octopus. go to the big effing park. buy some hash. party.
    grev:a friend of mine has said abq is an awesome place. he's also homeless, fwiw.

i wonder if he is the homeless man that dates my mom and has now made her homeless ... :-P \
    barca is one of my favorite places in the world. its incredibly international. you will hear so many languages spoken on the streets and everyone seems to speak english, and definitely catalan. the best thing to grab some food from that place and walk around everywhere. don't take your ipod. go to the beach. watch the surfers. i would go back in a heartbeat.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    I love Barcelona, too, but we were in the city for, like, three hours before my sister got herself picked on the subway. Seriously, check your shit while you're there. Wandering Las Ramblas is great for people watching. The Sagrada Familia is jaw dropping. There's a lot of other random Gaudi stuff scattered through the city if you like his work. The Picasso museum wasn't bad if you like Mr. Pablo's work. There's a boardwalk near the beach that is retardedly full of tasty paella places.

For Edinburgh and Wales -- The Globe Bookstore in Harvard Square is back to selling the Lonely Planet Cycling Guides. Their Cycling Britain series is pretty useful. You can probably freebie most of the tips from http://www.cyclingedinburgh.wordpress.com (which is a little MassBikey, but also includes a bunch of suggested routes for riding around the area)
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014

anyone ever been to cardiff? know anyone there?
    thats where Torchwood is. You could stay with Jack Harkness.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK