Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

maybe i don't understand what you're explaining, but the purpose: more upright riding position, i suppose.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

If you've seen quicksilver you'd know that the upside-down bars are crucial for advanced bicycle dancing moves.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited

^when lawrence fishburn got hit in that movie I dont think I could have laughed harder
    • CommentAuthorgemathy
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

how do YOU get chain grease out of your clothes?
    you don't. you leave it and wear it as a badge of honor.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

conor!:you don't. you leave it and wear it as a badge of honor.

Im considering getting a rookie mark tattoo for exactly this reason.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorUm,Bro?

I've got one, how long can you ride on a back wheel that's got a busted spoke? It was a shitty wheel to begin with and it seems like its starting to just distintegrate. The spoke just popped out so I wrapped it around the nearest one that kinda supports the same area and it seems to be ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRob Gigantic
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited

I used to do that all the time. You'll trash your rim eventually but you can get away with it for a day or two. I wouldn't put any real mileage. It'll get you to the bike shop, though.Word nerd
    • CommentAuthorunit

If the threaded pin of a presta valve (the thing the cap tightens and loosens on) is bent at about a 20 degree angle, Is that going to hamper the tubes ability to hold air?
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

gemathy:how do YOU get chain grease out of your clothes?

dish soap and a old tooth brush

unit:If the threaded pin of a presta valve (the thing the cap tightens and loosens on) is bent at about a 20 degree angle, Is that going to hamper the tubes ability to hold air?

yes, unless you can get it pulled up high enough to seal off the valve in which case it will be fine.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorRMM
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009

gemathy:how do YOU get chain grease out of your clothes?

My strategy on this involves not getting the grease into the clothes in the first place.

I have clothes that I work on bikes in (sometime wear an apron, though not recently).

Also, I keep my bikes pretty clean to avoid inadvertantly getting grease on me.

Lastly, I keep a cleanup kit in my bag so that I can degrease my hands after fixing a flat on the road.

That said, if you grease up your stuff, presoak in Oxiclean, then wash on high, hot with very few clothes in the washer.

Also, scrubbing with Goo Gone, BEFORE laundering will get any grease out.http://euphoriabeforetotalimplosion.blogspot.com/
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

well, my favorite cardigan fell off my bag and got tangled in my rear hub, so it's not like I was all rubbing up on my bike and wiped my hands on my pants.

thanks for the suggestions cause Iove this thing and there's 345678345678 too many suggestions on the internet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

did anyone say buy only black clothing yet?dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009

ok I am working on a secret project that involves bike tubes (if it workes I will be showing it off later, if it fails forget I said anything), and I need to do the following...stick with me here even though this sounds really stupid I want to do it anyway...

I need to be able to take two tube, and cut the valve off of one, then splice that tube into the second, so in essence creating a "double long" tube with one valve stem, this resulting hybrid tube must be able to hold air, so my dumb question is...

what kind of glue should I use to seal up the splices? I need something I can get in moderately large quantities (think bottle of Elmer's size) and it has to be strong enough to hold the tube together. also can not melt the rubber.

Rubber cement? Super glue? I mean I have used patch kits before, but I think this might need something a bit stronger.

HELP ME GLUE PEOPLE!!!this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited

^super glue works perfectly, I used tire tubes and super glue to patch my shoes...theyve been holding strong for like 3 weeks now
    also get the liquid stuff if you can
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^will super glue hold air? I guess I will have to find out, also did it fuse the rubber to your shoe or just glue it (aka did it melt the rubber at all?)this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited

^It just glued it firmly...if you want some hardcore stuff pvc cement should do the trick, just make sure your outdoors when you use it
    • CommentAuthorunit

Dont know if this qualifies as a dumb question but do 700 and 650c tubes have the same recommended psi rating? also if thats the case what would it be?
    • CommentAuthortristan

tubes dont have psi ratings, tires do - they list it on the tire sidewall.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    stilgar:ok I am working on a secret project that involves bike tubes (if it workes I will be showing it off later, if it fails forget I said anything), and I need to do the following...stick with me here even though this sounds really stupid I want to do it anyway...

I need to be able to take two tube, and cut the valve off of one, then splice that tube into the second, so in essence creating a "double long" tube with one valve stem, this resulting hybrid tube must be able to hold air, so my dumb question is...

what kind of glue should I use to seal up the splices? I need something I can get in moderately large quantities (think bottle of Elmer's size) and it has to be strong enough to hold the tube together. also can not melt the rubber.

Rubber cement? Super glue? I mean I have used patch kits before, but I think this might need something a bit stronger.

HELP ME GLUE PEOPLE!!!

a patch kit should actually do fine, its made to bond rubber to rubber, and patches are technically stronger than the tube ever was, or so I hear
    you could also try epoxy it is pretty strong...you can get it in the hardware store i.e. not the art/craft store so muchI haven't gotten to that part of the poop yet
    • CommentAuthorDana
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

i'd imagine patch cement being some kind of contact cement, not rubber cement. rubber cement really isn't that great and is designed for temporary bonds. epoxy is strong but wont flex. cyanoacrylates (crazyglue) could work but i'm not sure if that stays flexible...but dries instantly when pressed together... yeah i'd go with contact cement try barges or something. oh, amazing goop might work, there's like 5 types...they're silicone based so it will stretch tooRecluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

thanks guys, I am gonna go to the hardware store and the bike shop and try all this out on some old tubes before I make what I am thinking of making...heres to the loss of brain cells!this wont hurt a bit...
    itt dana drops knowledge.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorDana

i think adhesives are the best things to know for DIY stuff. you can waste a lot of time not knowing what to use for fixing shit.Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009

who was looking for fancy 26" tires?
    not the fanciest, but pretty colors- and free shipping if you get.. a bunch.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthornick92gto
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

How much does a geekhouse powder coating job usually run?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^$150-ish

My question is: are sun rims made in America? If not all of them, which ones are?

Pretty much I just want to know if ryhno lites are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

Thanks danny. My boss also said he might be able to find something overseas that fits what I want.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    nick92gto:How much does a geekhouse powder coating job usually run?

call joe. i think its like $200 or something.
    http://www.sugarcoatboston.com/YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthordrags

Rob Gigantic:I used to do that all the time. You'll trash your rim eventually but you can get away with it for a day or two. I wouldn't put any real mileage. It'll get you to the bike shop, though.

sez the man who goaded me into riding his "lets carry 60 pounds around the city" race on a broken spoke

U MEEEEEEN!

(actually it was foine the whole race.. only got the tiniest bit more out of true (to the eye) and I got it fixed up right the next day)cdrebbel: STOP TYPING 'BREAKS' YOU FUCKTARDS. YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

banana truffles:

http://www.sugarcoatboston.com/
    for that much you might as well get a reai automotive paint job from circle A.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

CACTUS FRANKIE:MTB tires. I want something that is a semi-slick for commuting. My Tioga Psychos are half decent for trails but drag way too much on pavement. I guess I will have to compromise and choose something remotely practical over what looks goofy as shit...

There's some company that makes ridiculous slick mtb tires in crazy colors and snakeskin patterns and such.
    I think it's like sweet skinz or something.
    They always advertise on the back cover of BRAIN.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    CACTUS FRANKIE:
    banana truffles:

http://www.sugarcoatboston.com/
    for that much you might as well get a reai automotive paint job from circle A.

plz dont quote me. call joe and find out.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

http://www.sweetskinztires.com/sweetskinztires/

The lord givethe-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

•  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited

Thank you everyone, for not answering my question.

Also, when it comes to paint vs. powder, it really depends on your need for the bicycle. Brian at Circle A is a great guy, and a great painter, but if you want a finish that will not chip when crashed powder is the best. If you want pretty, wet paint is beautiful, or Spectrum can come very close with powder (but for a price + shipping).
    • CommentAuthorgemathy
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

Pete, they are no longer made in America. They are made in China.
    dear pete,
    fuck you very much. dont you work at a bike shop?
    143!!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

Is there a place in the boston area where I can buy cordura, and maybe some duck cloth? I want to try my hand on a project I've had in mind for a bit. Also, its about damned time I learn how to sew.

And, uh, anyone have any tips for sewing cordura/duck cloth?ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

pete! gigantic: a finish that will not chip when crashed powder is the best.
    \

Close. Anodized alu would be a step up from that.

•  
      CommentAuthorRob Gigantic
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited

^^I know that Win Mill Fabrics in Chinatown has cordura. I don't know what quality, though.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

It's shitty ass cordura. Look closely and you can see through the weave. Real cordura you need to buy online and it's not cost effective at all in lower quantities.

I made my own waxed canvas in my old apartment's oven and some paraffin wax. Grate it on evenly and heat it with your oven or a hair dryer. It's also possible to melt together mineral spirits and the wax and paint it on. Plain old cotton duck you can get by the yard at Blick, but it's not dyed, and nobody in Boston sells waxed as far as I know.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    • CommentAuthorDana

winmil doesn't have cordura... they think it is...but its not. you can't see through it but its just crap nylon. it has no abrasion resistance that cordura is known for. anywho the last time i was in they didnt have any of that stuff left.

it's only not cost effective if you fuck up a bunch or are just buying a shit ton without intention to sell it afterwards. expect to pay up to 15 a yard for the real deal. every place is different though, just shop around. liner material is just as expensive. and a yard is usually in a 52 inch or 60 inch roll, not 36"by36", so for 15 bucks you can get quite alot.

as for tips on sewing canvas...finish edges with binding tape or double fold a hem, canvas frays like crazy if you don't...and get a machine that can handle it. blick painting canvas is far heavier than whatever "duck" you could buy at joanns in the upholstery section. if you're using a home machine then i'd go with the thinner canvas..if youre using a home machine use a demin needle, its usually a size 18 or something. that should be enough to get you startedRecluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    • CommentAuthortristan

The waterproofing bit is not so essential to what I want to make - but the waxing is interesting. Cordura seems like it'd be nice for something a little longer lasting, but it's probably harder to sew, too. Being as I dont have a sewing machine, I'll probably be struggling to get anything at all together, so every little bit helps.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorDana

cordura is alot easier to sew than canvas. it's much, much thinner than canvas. it wont fray as easy and you can get away with only folding over once if you had to.Recluse Designs (constantly under construction)
    • CommentAuthortristan

Thanks for the input everyone - I'm gonna try to grab some supplies in the next few days, and I'll let you know how it turns out (hopefully in the accomplishments thread!)ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

banana truffles:dear pete,
    fuck you very much. dont you work at a bike shop?
    143!!

Yes, I do work in a bike shop, but have you ever tried to get in touch with and cycling related company? It is quite hard, and for the most part, their reps are not the most helpful bunch in regards to complete product information. Yes I am willing to ask a surly group such as you, Bostonfixed.us, but no I will not take your word as gospel.
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

I think you're ignoring my reply, but it's legit. And it was not hard to get that information at all.
    • CommentAuthorgrev
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

how do i shot webnot another pitcher!