Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2015

Pretty sure that Boa strap you linked to will mount properly to the rear tower. Here's an exploded diagram of the missing part:

(Which Amazon has available for $74, so there's always that option I suppose.)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015

Wireless in my apartment sucks, and it always has. Some rooms get signal, others don't. It sucks and I want to fix it. I want to get full signal in all rooms of the apartment.
    The router we have has been here since before I moved in 5 years ago, and probably much longer than that.
    The connection is perfectly fine when I'm wired, so it doesn't seem to be the internet connection's fault.

DQ: Would getting a new, presumably more modern router fix this?

If so, which one should I get?

If not, what might fix this?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorben

New router will definitely help. It should broadcast stronger signal, possibly at a different channel.

Other option is to get a wireless extender, but that is really only a good idea if you have a strong initial signal and need to get it someplace too far for a reasonable router to reach. And it doesn't sound like that's your issue.

As for which one, I would say just go to Microcenter and explain your situation. When I went looking for an extender they were really helpful about explaining the different options and technologies. But if yours is 6+ years old, I imagine just about any router will be better. Just make sure you know if you need a router or a router/modem combo.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Thanks, Ben. Good looks. I'll stop by Microcenter today.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015 edited

Read http://www.geckoandfly.com/10041/wireless-wifi-802-11-abgn-router-range-and-distance-comparison/. Then read this: http://www.geckoandfly.com/10213/wireless-router-antenna-distance-coverage-comparison/

If your older router has removable antennas or a socket for an external antenna, try an external antenna first, particularly if your old router already supports 802.11n, which became available in 2009 and is still the highest-range standard. Microcenter sells these external antennas, and this will likely boost the signal enormously. (Remember, if you're within the 150ft range of 802.11g and you're not getting enough signal, what you need is more SIGNAL, not more RANGE.) If your old router doesn't support 802.11n, then that's the standard you want to make sure your new router has if the antenna alone won't be enough, but you want to make sure that all of your portable computers' and devices' wireless cards are compatible with it. (If not, your cards will fall back to 802.11g compatibility and your range will not necessarily get boosted at all, and you may wish to buy some USB WiFi dongles for laptops whose built-in WiFi is not n-compatible.) I strongly recommend buying a router with removable antennas or a socket for an external antenna, and also supports DD-WRT so you can load superior firmware on it versus what the company ships it with.

Note that the newest standard, 802.11ac, does not increase range over 802.11n, and it is very unlikely that you need your internal LAN to be hundreds of times greater in bandwidth than your cable modem, so ac won't actually buy you anything. Be careful of the marketing hype -- ac provides better range than n on the 5GHz band, but you don't want to be on that band anyway if range is the concern -- you want to stick to 2.4GHz, where n has superior range.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

i second what pocky said; if you're somewhat comfortable with flashing ROMs, buy the cheapest nicest router at microcenter. don't let them upsell you anything; most people don't need a NAS, the ability to serve content, or remote itunes/time machine backup. i only think VPN and QoS are useful for most people. the VPN would allow you to remote dial into your computer, and the QoS is for dividing the bandwidth up equally (no more lagging games/videos). my super dumb solution was to just to buy whatever wirecutter said was good at the time. set a hard price limit for yourself, and just find the best one.
    • CommentAuthorMJ

smoothness:i second what pocky said; if you're somewhat comfortable with flashing ROMs, buy the cheapest nicest router at microcenter. don't let them upsell you anything; most people don't need a NAS, the ability to serve content, or remote itunes/time machine backup. i only think VPN and QoS are useful for most people. the VPN would allow you to remote dial into your computer, and the QoS is for dividing the bandwidth up equally (no more lagging games/videos). my super dumb solution was to just to buy whatever wirecutter said was good at the time. set a hard price limit for yourself, and just find the best one.

Agreed, although I'd personally recommend avoiding TP-link as I've had nothing but issues with the one I bought simply because it was budget friendly. Although the reviews were fairly positive about it initially, I had to go as far as having 2 RMA'd and putting a beta firmware on it directly from their devs because of how problematic their hardware was.

If I was to buy another I'd probably go with an Asus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

I have a Asus I bought at the recommendation of the sales person at microcenter (it was actually cheaper than they one I was looking at when he asked if I needed help), it's worked great so far, major up grade over my old linksys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015 edited

Hardware recommendations and built-in firmware features are all well and good, but seriously, since signal penetration is the ONLY issue that you've described here, and your existing router otherwise works fine, check if it already supports 802.11n and if it does, and it can take an external antenna, get that at Microcenter FIRST because a new router may not help your signal at all, but an external antenna definitely will. If your existing router doesn't have 802.11n and/or it doesn't have either removable antennas or an antenna socket, let the Microcenter person recommend a router to you that has those things and is also supported by DD-WRT.

Hell, get both the antenna AND a new router and return whichever one you end up not needing. Microcenter has a great return policy.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2015

nerdo:
    (Which Amazon has available for $74, so there's always that option I suppose.)

Oh, so you're not missing the boom tube tower, you're only missing the boom tube holder and the hardware that mounts it to the cradle? In that case, I take back what I say about catastrophic failure. I totally think you could engineer it out of a tray mount with two boa straps and some rubber tape along with a couple of nuts, bolts, and washers from the hardware store. Though for $45 on eBay, you can get the newer Sidewinder boom tube mount and that seems like they haven't changed the way that fits (one horizontal hole), so it should be a perfect replacement. Doesn't look like that one comes with the ratchet straps themselves, but you can get those on eBay for $5.20.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

joe have you tried pouring milk on your router?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

How about hot sauce from an automatic soap dispenser?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Just not both at the same time, they'll neutralize each other and then you're fucked.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015

Is there some serious clear enamel or something I can coat the Circle A with? If you look at it the wrong way paint just fucking flies off, it's ridiculous."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries

money answer: take it to a powdercoater that's done bikes, ask them to clear it.

ghetto answer: there's gotta be some HPLV sprayer and compressor at harbor freight, with which you could maybe spray epoxy clear? i mean...i have no clue how much it weighs, or whether it's hard. i know roburrito used an HPLV to spray his bike gray.

super ghetto, bad idea: buying a ton of spray cans of clear. that shit is dumb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Can you put powder on top of paint and have it not get fucked up in the oven?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries

me no scientist. i guess it would all depend on whether you wanted a patina of "toast," aka: hopefully the temperatures at which each adheres is different. but the easiest answer i just thought of would be to ask circle A; paint from a place like that shouldn't flake at a mere furtive glance. maybe they'd cut you a deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

i know you can paint over powder but im not sure about the other way around.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

pocky:My new bike dork forum in Rochester has been talking about axes, too, for the past two weeks now. What is going on?

Pocky, what is your local bike dork internet hangout? I can't find a Buffalo one and I'm starting to panic."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Whispered.
    WNY folks only on a need-to-know basis. We can't have Massholes crashing our safe space. ;)::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2015

DQ: How the fuck hard is it to stamp the stem clamp size on bars? Why do I have to try 4 different (unlabeled) quills before figuring out that this Specialized bar is a 26.4 and get the sharpie out to fucking label it myself? WHY, BIKE INDUSTRY?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2015 edited

^ yes I suffer with this as well. if only there were an easy way to measure...MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

or perhaps some simple way to stamp numerical characters in metal...

Fuck, maybe I'll just buy a set of those since it's so hard to do it at the factory."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

could buy a pair of calipers:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-784EC-Digital-Caliper-Metric/dp/B003MA08VQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438559057&sr=8-3&keywords=vernier+caliper

or you could go by common standards

31.8 is "Oversized" and is noticeably bigger than 25.4mm or 26.0mm stuff and can be used on both road and mtb
    26.0 is older road stuff, this includes most bull horns/tt bars and drop bars
    25.4 is old mtb, riser or cruiser bar stuff

there are a few exceptions to those rules but generally that knowledge will help you out 95% of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

i never trusted measuring this with calipers since the measurements could vary depending how tight the clamp screw is and where exactly you're measuring. I guess if you take the average of a few different spots, you should be able to determine if its 25.4 or 26.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2015 edited

If you're measuring outer diameter of a tube with a caliper that's big enough for its jaws to go all the way around the tube, it's hard to get wrong. Inner diameter is trickier but just put some tension on the sizing wheel while you shift the caliper around in there. The biggest measurement you're able to get is going to be the correct number. Identifying the I.D. of surfaces that are actually designed to change in diameter (like stem clamps) is non-trivial but hard to get wrong if you follow the rules that Morgie outlined. And aluminum stems, particularly threadless ones, often have the clamp diameter, rise, and recommended bolt torque clearly screenprinted inside the clamping surfaces.

What we have at the shop here is a wooden plank that someone mounted a bunch of cut-off seattubes, headtubes, and handlebars in, labelled in increasing size order. Grab the part you want to test and stick it in the appropriate hole. Size identified quickly and accurately.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2015

I guess I really didn't expect a non-cinelli 26.4."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2015 edited

they never expect the spanish inquisition? b/c...the stem was italian? i dunno. i once found a pair of riser bars with road diameter. that was a pain in the brain. i just gave them to graham, telling him "these are stupid diameter bars. have fun."

DQ: dudes seem to like the turbo, selle san marco, etc. what is the most generic, yet mostly loved saddle by women? building a hybrid for someone who doesn't really know the difference. am not just going to assume terry, b/c that's stupid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

A giant padded cutout Terry would probably be fine for a hybrid. Cutouts are the shit. Cutouts 4 lyfe."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries

i forgot to add that this person runs at least 40 miles a week, and rides from arlington to brookline at least three (will actually be using the bike; do not want to saddle her with heaviness.) does that change the recommendation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Is it a road/cross bike? I really like most of the Specialized designs - the Romin, Riva, etc. you can usually find them cheapish on ebay. If it's a more upright hybrid then some padding or something like a brooks might be beneficial, imo. Maybe get their sit bones measured so you get the proper size.

Edit: FWIW, my ass was fine with any saddle for several years. It's a fairly recent thing that I have more of a preference, but that might be related to the probably hundreds of miles I do some weeks. Ones that are too rounded on top cause me lots of problems now, flat ones are better, good cutouts are better than that, and my favorite is my Romin that also has a slight wave to it, if that helps at all."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I think the butterfly is the Terry I see recommended a lot, and like half the women on bfixed ride or have ridden Specialized Jetts...which they apparently stopped making because of course they did. FWIW, My junk was NOT fine with any saddle at any point. I ride exclusively Selle Anatomicas now. I think it might be a losing battle trying to find "the" best saddle for women. But something that will actually accommodate sit-bone width is a must.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    i think i'll just commit the ultimate social faux paus and ask a lady i'm not in congress with about how her pelvic bones are today, and ask whether she's found jesus. this got way too complicated with the sold-out saddles, and the "my junk is never happy." i'll just gift her a random selle anatomica for ladiez that i have, with the caveat that the sweat stains are probably twice as old as her. ty for the input - i will relay it along.
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Nandy:DQ: How the fuck hard is it to stamp the stem clamp size on bars? Why do I have to try 4 different (unlabeled) quills before figuring out that this Specialized bar is a 26.4 and get the sharpie out to fucking label it myself? WHY, BIKE INDUSTRY?

I think old Specialized parts are mostly rebranded Japanese parts (like pedals by MKS, and cranks by Sugino) and I think their stems and maybe bars are from Nitto (like the rebranded Dura Ace Ax bars and hidden bolt stems) but I guess it's not impossible that they slapped their name on some Cinellis. By the way, if you used a 3t quill stem to determine your bar clamp diameter, it could be throwing you off because 3t was doing 25.8 for a while.
    smoothness:i think i'll just commit the ultimate social faux paus and ask a lady i'm not in congress with about how her pelvic bones are today, and ask whether she's found jesus. this got way too complicated with the sold-out saddles, and the "my junk is never happy." i'll just gift her a random selle anatomica for ladiez that i have, with the caveat that the sweat stains are probably twice as old as her. ty for the input - i will relay it along.

Well, it wasn't clear from the outset how close you were or whether she was interested in participating in saddle selection. Given this information, yeah, cheapest thing available.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

ryan t:
    Nandy:DQ: How the fuck hard is it to stamp the stem clamp size on bars? Why do I have to try 4 different (unlabeled) quills before figuring out that this Specialized bar is a 26.4 and get the sharpie out to fucking label it myself? WHY, BIKE INDUSTRY?

I think old Specialized parts are mostly rebranded Japanese parts (like pedals by MKS, and cranks by Sugino) and I think their stems and maybe bars are from Nitto (like the rebranded Dura Ace Ax bars and hidden bolt stems) but I guess it's not impossible that they slapped their name on some Cinellis. By the way, if you used a 3t quill stem to determine your bar clamp diameter, it could be throwing you off because 3t was doing 25.8 for a while.

Man, fuck the bike industry."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

tinyhonkshus:I think the butterfly is the Terry I see recommended a lot, and like half the women on bfixed ride or have ridden Specialized Jetts...which they apparently stopped making because of course they did. FWIW, My junk was NOT fine with any saddle at any point. I ride exclusively Selle Anatomicas now. I think it might be a losing battle trying to find "the" best saddle for women. But something that will actually accommodate sit-bone width is a must.

very very sad a month or so ago when i was trying to get a new saddle and found out they no longer make Jetts. ended up getting something that is no better than the uncomfortable thing i was trying to leave behind =(
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Wait, it was the Ruby I was thinking of, the Riva is just okay. It looks like the most similar to the Jett. I like mine a lot, but I still prefer the Romin."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yo i just found out about 35mm handlebars. that shit is bananas.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    conor! for mod:yo i just found out about 35mm handlebars. that shit is bananas.

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Best cheap chinatown spot. Go.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

We already discussed this. It is 163 Vietnamese Sandwich, or My Thai if you're feeling fancy."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    actual asian person says: go eat at great taste. real restaurant. facing i-93 through the gate, turn right. cheap, makes good dim sum till like...4. they prolly have lunch specials, but i have never had them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

So much cattitude up in here.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015 edited

i meant real as in "not a take out;" the 'actual asian' was spoken hyperbolically. (i just made that word up. deal with it.) the best way to tell: if some NYC chinatown/white plains person doesn't immediately shit on it, b/c they're the hipsters of chinese food.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015

Pho Pastaur is really good. Service sucks but that's what I've come to expect from Chinatown restaurants.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

smoothness, that was a response to Andy's "We already discussed this" line.
    Also, hyperbolically is a real word already.
    Also, thanks for the suggestions.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Avana Sushi at the intersection of Beach/Harrison. It's a space w 3 other restaurants. $7 lunch special that comes w miso, a full roll, and choice of two sides. But only get sushi if the shorter loud guy is behind the counter. He calls everyone "buddy!"

Dumplings from Taiwan Cafe are better than Gourmet Dumplings. Be wary of lines.

IDK the name of this place but it is unapologetically cheap. Corner of Harrison and Kneeland. $2 for a "small" take out plate of noodles or rice, plus veggies and meat. Yes, it's like food court food. It's TWO dollars. A hungry friend and I couldn't finish the large together.

163 Harrison has great Bahn Mi and get the little rice take outs for $2 w/ pork or beef. Spring rolls are wicked fresh.

Pho Pasteur is wonderful. Small 19 plz!

This is not AT ALL authentic or "nice" food. It's everyday Im-hungry-now-but-I-only-have-a-five kind of food.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

163 is actually 66 Harrison. Nobody knows what "163" stands for."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries