Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2015

^ confirmed. source: am asian

DQ: I didn't want to buy shitty premade slats for my platform bed frame, and I need help on whether I should purchase 1x4 or 1x6 hardwood and run it across the width of the frame over the middle metal support beam? Or, I should cut the slats in half so that the slats meet in the middle atop the support?
    If you want to sleep fast, you gotta go crabonYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    I have a friend who claims if he ever feels sleepy on a long drive he scalds his mouth with coffee then whenever he gets sleepy he eats a couple Doritos.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2015

^HAHAHA. I always just rolled the window down and stuck my head outsideI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Anyone need a lift down to DC or Bmore tomorrow?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i wish...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2015

Would paying for a bike on a plane (usually $50 I think) be cheaper or about the same as shipping it regular between Buffalo and Boston?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2015 edited

no, check out bikeflights.com for shipping. I shipped my touring bike ~1000 miles for about $30gone
    • CommentAuthorMJ

gc:no, check out bikeflights.com for shipping. I shipped my touring bike ~1000 miles for about $30

+1 for bikeflights, Buffalo to Boston should only be in the area of $30
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Whoa. How the fuck does that work? Are they subcontracting it to some UPS style logistics network? Who is actually doing this work? That's stupid cheap."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorMJ

Nandy:Whoa. How the fuck does that work? Are they subcontracting it to some UPS style logistics network? Who is actually doing this work? That's stupid cheap.

Not 100% on that, Baumann was the one who got me using it and I honestly wouldn't use anything else at this point.

Bought and sold two bikes over the past 2 months, $23 to ship a frameset down to Miami, and $50 to have a complete bike shipped up from Atlanta.

You put in the info, pay, and they give you a shipping label, drop it off at fed ex and done. I'm guessing that you're using a freight account that they have or something along those lines. Works wonderfully, although the last time I went into Fed Ex the guy even told me that they're starting to carry bike boxes in the store so it seems that fed ex wants to get in on that.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Nandy:Would paying for a bike on a plane (usually $50 I think) be cheaper or about the same as shipping it regular between Buffalo and Boston?

Check your carrier. Usually more like $100 or $150. Almost always better to ship.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015

Yep, had one of those carriers who screwed us over for like $300 on the way back from Amsterdam even though the bromptons were well within size requirements, but we do jet blue around here which is $50 exempting folders, which I guess isn't bad if you need it there real quick- bikeflights gets pricey fast for speed, but looks awesome for regular shipping."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015

If you keep if it from being oversized, ie split it into two boxes, you could make them your two free checked bags on Southwest and take it for free. I usually travel out of a 45L backpack which I stuff under the seat. You could probably get away with a carryon that sized plus a smaller backpack.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015

also bikeflights has a $5 off coupon until the 15thgone
    I have had bad results with bikeflights on a receiving end. A bunch of their boxes arrived badly damaged at the shop this past summer, and a couple arrived days or a week past the "guaranteed" date. Plus, they try to pigeonhole you into buying THEIR boxes...that's where they make money, I think.

UPS has never done me wrong. A lot of bike shops have commercial UPS accounts that can get you a discount on shipping (we get 5-10% depending on where/what here) and I let customers use it if they buy me beer or a pizza.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015

Craigglesofdoom:I have had bad results with bikeflights on a receiving end. A bunch of their boxes arrived badly damaged at the shop this past summer, and a couple arrived days or a week past the "guaranteed" date. Plus, they try to pigeonhole you into buying THEIR boxes...that's where they make money, I think.

UPS has never done me wrong. A lot of bike shops have commercial UPS accounts that can get you a discount on shipping (we get 5-10% depending on where/what here) and I let customers use it if they buy me beer or a pizza.

That's strange, I can understand the issue with getting boxes from them, but otherwise I've just been getting shipping labels for fed ex.

I've had issues with UPS messing up my packages over the years and I tend to avoid them myself. But I'm sure there's issues with every carrier that give anyone enough reason to go somewhere else.
    boooo upssomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015 edited

My upstairs neighbor is really loud, and it's both annoying, and has started waking me up in the middle of the night frequently. This started in October, but I don't know if it's a new person or not. It's like 5 minute bursts of what sounds like dropping workboots from waist-height every 15 to 30 seconds - loud, sharp, often unexpected thuds. So I know the "right" thing to do is go knock on their door and say "Hi I am your neighbor, fyi the floors are thin, every little bit helps" BUT I live in a building with a lot of elderly people, and so I'm afraid that I'll go knock on the door and it will turn out the noise is being caused by a mobility problem (walker, poor balance, etc) and it will be really awkward cause I can't ask them to not be old, but then WHY AM I THERE? edit: I did go up once and knocked and got no answer, despite ongoing thuds, so that reinforced the idea that it might be an old.

what should I do?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015

go equipped with tennis balls to put over walker feet
    Not badi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015

questions for an upcoming build

i have sram x7 9 speed shifter and rear dr, dr is med cage 11-36t

i just got wheels, came with shimano duracé 10 speed 12-21t cassette

can i use this cassette with the shifter and dr i have?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2015

I don't think so, length of cable pull between shifts is shorter for 10sp than 9sp."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

dq : have you ever needed both tire levers?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

every single time? but i have 0 arm/thumb strength...
    I always need tire levers
    COME AT ME BROYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    I think when I had 25s I needed the second one to keep the tire off the rim, but with 28+ I think I only need one, and with the 38s it just falls out.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2015

what do you do if the stuff you poured down the sink was maybe more animal fat than you realized and now half your kitchen sink is clogged?
    Lots dish soap and water as hot as you can get it. If that doesn't work you might have to snake it or maybe find some enzyme solution to use.

I almost always use 2 tire levers.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    boiling water and/or hair drier on the p trapYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

hot water is limited cuz it's not draining AT ALL so eventually you'll flood... just tried the first half of a bottle of drano with no success...

broke the house, time to move out of wyoming
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

My fix it book says draino is pretty bad and eventually wrecks your pipes. I guess keep trying boiling water and grab a snake next time you drive 400 miles to the nearest store?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

so, i left the house for 1000 hours to check out the US's #1 resort (#2 in the world, and it's in this fuckin state. tom hanks officiated a famous people wedding there this summer!) and when i came back, the hot water/draino mess i had left i guess worked? sorry, landlord, about the eventually wrecked pipes.

also, i didn't see paul's suggestion before, but maybe (since water wasn't even gettin in it) hair dryer would have been a decent idea. hopefully there won't be a next time to try it out!
    Nandy:My fix it book says draino is pretty bad and eventually wrecks your pipes. I guess keep trying boiling water and grab a snake next time you drive 400 miles to the nearest store?

This is not entirely true, it CAN harm pipes if you use it like every week. It won't harm pipes when used occasionally and correctly (i.e. flushing with lots of water afterwards)Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    resort pix plzYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2015

ain't we fb friends? i am bad at putting pictures on this board.
    also...wow not worth $1,100/night (4 night minimum) unless you're famous and really need the isolation/privacy/money burning.
    oh yeah. we totally are. even the jackelopes at that place look like they make more money than me.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

for such a fancy place, it's crazy that we put the slippers we wore around the main lodge back on a shelf to be worn again, not washed! maybe they wash them every time when they're actually open, but to expect a those ridiculous rich people to put their feet where some other ridiculously rich person had previously put their feet? outrageous!
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2015 edited

google answered my dumb question, after like half an hour of searching. i hate it when this happens.
    random dumb question: are there are stores that sell welding supplies like at an actual store?
    • CommentAuthorMJ

smoothness:google answered my dumb question, after like half an hour of searching. i hate it when this happens.
    random dumb question: are there are stores that sell welding supplies like at an actual store?

Although I assume you've answered it yourself.

Airgas.
    https://www.airgas.com/
    http://arcoweldingsupply.com/

it's in malden next to the bike path.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorgc

tolman welding, 61 dot ave in fort point.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

igo's welding supplies
    next to mount auburn
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2015

6kidz:I don't think so, length of cable pull between shifts is shorter for 10sp than 9sp.

What 6kidz says, but to be clear, the indexing is in the shifter, not the derailleur, so you can use the same derailleur as long as you swap in a 10 speed 1:1 actuation (SRAM pull) shifter instead of the 9sp shifter.

Or you can just throw a 9sp cassette on that wheel and keep both the derailleur and shifter. (The freehubs for 8, 9, and 10 speed Shimano/SRAM are the same.) Replacing the cassette should be cheaper than replacing the shifter unless you happen to have a 10sp SRAM shifter just lying around.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

is anyone interested in trading wrapping papers? I have two v nice ones to trade for pretty much anything that isnt these. Just need some variety. One is leopard print, the other is a nice, red one.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

i replaced the cassette, the 10 speed will soon be up for sale
    I have to bite the bullet and use a car sharing type service to get to a party tomorrow cause I'm bringing a big heavy pot of soup. Which one is the cheapest/least rapey/most recommended for whyever?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015

Is there a bullitt sharing service?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with any of them, but they all seem about the same. Can't get a ride with any other guests?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015

DQ: I don't know if this is happening for anyone else, but this obnoxious thing started happening where facebook pops up notifications in other browser windows. How the fuck do I turn that creepy shit off?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I don't know any of the other guests. I just decided to put the soup in a bunch of tupperwares so I can bike with it better. I didn't really want to deal with a stranger getting mad at me because they drove out to the sticks to pick me up and then only got paid to drive me 1.7 miles.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy