Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015

It doesn't really work that way. For Uber and similar "car service" type services, they see exactly what they're signing on for BEFORE they choose to take the fare and pick you up. If it involves a substantial amount of driving for them to even get to your location, they will either choose to not accept the fare, the price will get increased accordingly higher to make it worth somebody's while to pick you up. If you can't get one of the new-school services to pick you up, you can always phone in a yellow cab or traditional phone-based car service. Those things aren't actually extinct.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    From what I could tell from the Uber website, you only actually input your pickup location? I guess maybe that's wrong. Also cabs are even MORE notoriously unwilling to pick up low fares.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015

my scale of preference is lyft > fasten > uber if I'm not somewhere where I can flag a cab down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015

I haven't used Uber in Boston, but when I used it in Austin, I input both start and end location and it quotes me an expected fare for the entire trip BEFORE I choose to request the pickup. I assume it works the same way in all cities.

The fact that it works this way is especially important during times of "congestion rates", when you want to make sure people see that the fare is gonna cost $100 before they agree to take it.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

^^you put in a pick up address and if you want you put in the drop off.
    you don't have to though. but it helps for them to have the route mapped once you get in the car.
    aha! the whole story!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:From what I could tell from the Uber website, you only actually input your pickup location? I guess maybe that's wrong. Also cabs are even MORE notoriously unwilling to pick up low fares.

You can input an end point but you don't have to.

Edit: late passNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    the latesti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015

tyler:dq : have you ever needed both tire levers?

Maybe you've just never had to take a marathon off a 20" rim. I have 3 in there now (taking a break because I've smashed my hand so much) and have already snapped 2. I don't even want to think about putting it back on :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015 edited

For real, this is the most impossible tire I've ever seen. Would heating it up somehow help? Is there any hope for my hands or stock of levers? If I leave 3 levers in it for a week will it stretch out enough to actually use?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

I'm glad my DQ was so compelling!
    I've definitely busted a couple knuckles -- but that's usually because I'm road side and it's an hour later than I wanted to be home and my hands are freezing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

did you try squeezing the beads together around the whole tire? that usually does it.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Yup, that was the first thing I did. It's really, really bad and tiny.

Also I was dumb and started on the rotor side and cut my hand a bit. Don't do that. Then I quit and made lunch. May try again later."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Extremely strong but thin tire levers help a lot. What brand/type are you using? I like the Pedro's ones best and I find the Park Tool blue ones are often too thick and brittle. I've found that the generic long skinny black ones that you often get for free are pretty good for squeezing into tight fitting rims, but you should expect to snap them pretty frequently, which is fine because you probably have like ten of them somewhere.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I'm also not ashamed to admit I've used the metal Park Tool ones at the shop or the lever part of the metal Origin8 PB&J tool that I own when all else fails.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I started with some garbage off-brand black ones, snapped 2, then went looking for the Pedro's which can manage to get it over, but is a little too thick to grab another edge with part of the tire over the rim and I'm just bashing my hand trying to slide them. I tried a metal one, but it immediately started to dent the rim :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Those are the situations for which I own a Crank Brothers Speed Lever, which clamps to the hub for increased slide-the-bead leverage. I know this doesn't help you if you don't have one on hand right now.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2015

Update: I left it stretching out over the rim for the night and Nat tried it this morning and was all "uh, what's your problem? That was easy", so either letting it stretch out worked or I'm a dumbass with noodles for arms."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2015

working on building a winter beater, first problem arose.
    theres an adapter on the rear brake posts thats preventing me from getting my canti brake calipers on
    it also blocks the original pin holes

any tips on removal, it has flat edges behind the "washer" but i cant get my wrench into the narrow profile

•  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2015

those aren't adapters they're stuck-on pieces of the last brake that was on there

penetrating oil, a crowbar or claw hammer, vise grips
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

Thanks
    Any idea if they're press fit, or threaded on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Those are just bushings that slide on to a smooth stud. Move them side to side to loosen and eventually they'll come off. Polish the studs with emery cloth and grease them before installing the new brakes
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015

So I recently got some Serfas lights (these) but they appear to not work. Whatsoever. Which I don't understand because I'm not a dumb guy and Serfas generally makes good stuff. They charge via USB, so I plug them in to the same usb charger I use for my phone. Confirm its charging, I can turn it on when its charging and see the LED just fine. But as soon as I take it off the charger it won't turn on. Even if I've left it charging for over 24hrs. Has anyone encountered this at all? How dumb am I right now?I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Well, I have those and they do work...I'm guessing you either got a dud, or like, unplugged them and forgot and they hadn't actually been charging that long, etc etc. When they're charging, is the blue circle flashing? After they've been charging for a long time, does it become solid?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Is your outlet's power linked to a light switch?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I was gonna ask that too and wasn't sure if that was a thing outside my parents' house. TIL.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

Its a bad battery. Just not holding a charge. Common. Get replacements.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015 edited

update: soaked them for 24 hrs, shocked it with a hammer blow, grabbed it with vice grips and they shattered. i guess thats one way to remove them. the original posts have pitting from the amount of rust underneath.

@Obo, if youre charging them using the usb from a computer, when the computer is powered off they wont receive any electricities. i often forget this when im charging my lights overnight
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Same for when your laptop is asleep? I feel this has happened to me.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I demand a blinky updatei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2015

Grrrr, they *used* to blink blue. But I'd never seen them solid blue. I have two of them. I've plugged them both in, into sockets on my power strip that I've confirmed are working. No blinking. No turning on even while plugged in. This is getting odder by the second!I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2015

I've heard Serfas has excellent customer service and will probably just send you a new one if you call them. Nat's had that model for years and it's still going fine."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2015 edited

It sounds like a dud battery to me, but just to be sure, have you tried plugging it directly into a computer USB port with the computer on, using a known-working USB cable that you've successfully used to charge other devices? I assume you're already using the cable that the light came with, but if you're not, make sure you do that. Some devices are "finicky" about particular brands of USB chargers and USB cables (like, some cables won't necessarily fit IN all the way and some chargers don't provide enough amperage), and those micro USB cables have a tendency to flake out in ways that aren't easily debuggable.

As for charging from a computer USB port, with recent versions of MacOS, USB power will stay on while the laptop sleeps and then turn off when the laptop moves from sleep to hibernate. I believe the default on late-model Windows is to turn it off in sleep mode too, but you can adjust that setting easily.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016

Haven't read every light post here, but it sounds like something similar I had happen to an L&M light - except mine worked for months, and then stopped working. It would appear to be charging, and would turn on when plugged in and for about 3 seconds after unplugging, but then wouldn't turn on.

Sent it back in for warranty. Can't remember if the issue was a bad connection or bad battery, but they repaired it free of charge. Sounds like you have a similar issue.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016

this is why i dont like the idea of rechargeable lights.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016 edited

Who here can sanity check me on something about MTB geometry?

I had been thinking for a while about turning my 26er hardtail, "Tony Montana", a '96 KHS Montana Descent, into a 69er. My friend made one, and loves his. He used a rigid carbon fork, but I wanted to have some squish, so I eBayed a Fox Float F29 80mm travel 29er fork with the G2 offset (52mm rake). The Rock Shox Mag 21 fork that was originally on there had 420mm axle to crown and 38mm of rake, and those old forks were setup without sag and yielded a 72 degree headtube angle. Post-sag, the Fox should give approximately 470mm axle-to-crown, and then adding in the additional 30mm for a 29er wheel, this should bring the headtube angle to 68 degrees. I understand that each additional 5mm of rake should shorten trail enough to quicken steering about the same as 1 degree steeper headtube angle would do, so the additional 14mm of rake on the G2 offset Fox should change the trail so much as to make the front end steer as quickly as it would with the original fork if the bike had a 71 degree headtube. So I'm thinking this should keep things enough the same so as to preserve the original front-end handling pretty well, and in fact make it ride more like a modern trail bike, without making it feel like a "chopper". I'm not worried about added stress on the headtube because this bike is made of True Temper AVR with really nice welds.

Does my math make sense? Am I missing anything in this equation? Maybe swap in a 0-setback seatpost and flip the stem?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016

I have no idea how to answer your question, but have my own even dumber question.

If I play powerball once a year over 10 years, am I more likely to win than someone who plays once in 10 years?

Natural inclination from most everyone I ask is to say, "Yes, duh." But when I think about it more, I'm not sure that's true.

The odds of winning are approx 1/290,000,000. So if I play once, I have a 1/290,000,000 chance. If I play a second time, that time I also have a 1/290,000,000 chance of winning, because the numbers from the previous jackpot are still in the pool of possible combinations. And I don't have 2/290,000,000 chances of winning, because I've still only bought one ticket each time. So even if I play 10 times, if I only buy one number each time, each time I have just 1/290,000,000 odds of winning, which averages out to 1/290,000,000 even over all 10 plays - so same likelihood as only playing once.

Right?

(Subconclusion - If the above is true, it follows that it makes much more sense to play 10 times on one jackpot and then never again, than to play one time on ten jackpots. And that statement seems logical itself, though contradictory to the natural reaction everyone has to my initial question (which is the idea that playing 10 times over 10 years increases your odds.))I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016 edited

This was a pretty fascinating video on a similar math problem that people have a natural inclination to guess wrong on."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    This is in no way mathematically good, but my grandma played Megabucks weekly for decades and won small jackpots regularly. Not millions, but hundreds to thousands. She said her secret was the auto-pick, every time, instead of playing the same numbers every time like some people did.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Remember the gambler's fallacy ---- you're never "bound" to win just because you've lost so many times in a row. Each "spin" of the roulette wheel or pull of numbered balls is completely independent of all that come before or after. You have no advantage to playing the same numbers 1000x in a row versus playing random numbers each time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Always put all your money down on a single bet. Your odds of winning overall decrease with each successive bet. Classic sohomore year probability problem. Easiest way to visualize this is with a coin flip bet for $100.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    anywhere i can donate dress shirts and pants to people who need em for job interviews and such? i've seen stuff like this for veterans in new york, but haven't been able to find em in Boston.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    seanile mick:anywhere i can donate dress shirts and pants to people who need em for job interviews and such? i've seen stuff like this for veterans in new york, but haven't been able to find em in Boston.

Yeah! Try here. Remember to get a receipt for your taxes if you're so inclined.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    perfect, thank you!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Eric I hear unless you donate a shit ton it doesnt make much of a difference for taxes, has your experience been different?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    You have to itemize to claim donations, so you don't have to donate a shit ton, but you have to be itemizing for SOME reasoni mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016

i saved every receipt and printed my fastpass thing from moving to WY, but i'm not optimistic. i tried itemizing the year i had crazy huge medical bills and it just wasn't worth it at all.
    I used to keep track better, but it was never more than the standard deduction for me. Maybe I'm just not very generous.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016

banana truffles:Eric I hear unless you donate a shit ton it doesnt make much of a difference for taxes, has your experience been different?

Are you talking about the "standard deductible" or whatever? There's a set amount that you can claim for charity even if you have donated less that that amount. I don't think you even need receipts unless you claim more than the standard amount.
    ryan t:
    banana truffles:Eric I hear unless you donate a shit ton it doesnt make much of a difference for taxes, has your experience been different?

Are you talking about the "standard deductible" or whatever? There's a set amount that you can claim for charity even if you have donated less that that amount. I don't think you even need receipts unless you claim more than the standard amount.

honestly I don't remember which deduction I'm referring to. I always get receipts for this stuff just in case. I imagine the itemizing thing is easier if you track it all as it happens rather than doing it all come tax season.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!