Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2016

If you have a significant number of deductions (i.e., if you do any freelance work at all), having an accountant figure this out for you can really save you a *lot* of money. I used to think I didn't need one because I have a math degree and can do arithmetic just fine. But it turns out it's not about math. It's about politics.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorgc

it's absolutely worth it to do your taxes with pen and paper, even if you're filing online with turbotax or whatever, you'll understand the process better and where yr money goes. (and hopefully why)gone
    • CommentAuthorben

If multiple people win the powerball but only one of the tickets is claimed, does that one get the entire prize? or is the prize money from the unclaimed tickets just kept by the state and reabsorbed into the lottery?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2016

DQ: What modem should I buy so I can save myself the monthly modem rental fee when I switch to RCN this month? Also, do I need the 155mbps package or should I stick with the 50? Don't really care about TV except my in-laws like to watch when they visit so we'll need basic cable."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2016

6kidz:DQ: What modem should I buy so I can save myself the monthly modem rental fee when I switch to RCN this month? Also, do I need the 155mbps package or should I stick with the 50? Don't really care about TV except my in-laws like to watch when they visit so we'll need basic cable.

I've had this one for a few years, with RCN, without any problems whatsoever

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable-Modem-5341J/dp/B0063K4NN6.

Unless you're gaming or working, 50 should be more than enough for general usage of streaming and the like. I never found an issue with 2 people using it, including some light gaming on my end of things.
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2016 edited

125 kilobytes per megabit. and 55 megabits is peak; you'll have to check dslreports.com to find out actual rates. i believe that optimally you should have at least 5 megabits/sec download without having any hiccups for Netflix on HD. So that's 625 kilobytes per second at minimum. then whatever other crap you've got.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2016 edited

What Smoothness says is correct -- 125KB (KiloBytes) =1Mb (Megabit) -- but it isn't the most useful metric for understanding what all this means.

I think the most useful metric is 8 Megabits = 1 MegaByte . You may remember from grade school computer science class (that was a thing for me but maybe not for others -- long live LOGO and the TRS-80) that eight bits = one Byte. Note the capitalization -- Megabit=Mb, MegaByte=MB. So you'll see Megabits per second (Mbps) when network folks talk about network bandwidth, but you'll see MegaBytes (MB) when storage folks talk about storage space. We most often look at computers doing things in terms of Bytes, not bits, so translate by a factor of 8 to try to really make sense of these numbers and try to think of these things in terms of MegaBytes per second (MBps).

I stream HD video in Netflix with a 2 megabit per second (0.25MBps) throttled connection (Time Warner "Everyday Low Price" cable -- $14.99/month) and never have any issues. I would not be able to do two simultaneous streams this way and I expect I'd have issues with massively multiplayer gaming, but I can do work via SSH and surf web pages while watching Netflix on my 50" TV with no difficulties. Note that gaming is more dependent on latency than bandwidth, anyway. We're only two people sharing this connection (a router running DD-WRT or other software that provides Quality Of Service settings can be useful for maximizing a capped connection when sharing among many users). If you're in a similar situation, I seriously doubt you could possibly care to pay more for more bandwidth than your 50 Mbps connection (6.25MBps), which is optimally 25 times faster than mine. With a 155 Mbps (20MBps) connection, it's unlikely you'll find many web sites that can even saturate that bandwidth cap. If yo've got that kind of connection to your ISP, you're far more likely to notice the bottleneck being your upload bandwidth rather than your download bandwidth -- your upload bandwidth is likely capped MUCH lower if you do any kind of content sharing or creation on that scale, unless you've purchased a fully bidirectional "business internet" plan.

The internet service providers' attempts to upsell everyone on greater and greater costs for greater and greater download bandwidths is disingenuous and reminds me of the FUD surrounding the megapixel race for digital cameras.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    How to lock/otherwise secure a rando bag? I have a sick rando bag that I would like to use for quick errands but I'm worried it will get stolen/fucked with if I leave it on the bike, even if I remove my valuables. it attaches at 4 points (which is why it's a pain to take into stores on quick errands): 2 elastics that go from D-rings around the handlebars on each side, 1 loop (no buckle) at the back base that goes around the pokey-uppey part of the decaleur, and a wide row of velcro on the bottom that holds the bag to itself through the decaleur. I sort of think the best place would be to attach the pokey-uppey part to its loop, but not sure how. BRAINSTORM WITH ME!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016

DECALEUR is fun to exclaim.

A little combo lock or a cable lock around some D rings and the frame maybe?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    do I have to do my taxes now that I moved to europe or can i just burn my passport and open a cash-only moped shop?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i think that depends on if you earned money before you left/if you wanna ever come back..
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016 edited

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayers-Living-Abroad

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusionsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Thanks ppl."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016

DQ: is there a term for bike storage bars, like you put up at races or Ride Studio, so a bunch of people can hang bikes by their saddles? I want to make one and was looking for ideas, but whatever I type into the ol' google doesn't come up with anything."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ben:If multiple people win the powerball but only one of the tickets is claimed, does that one get the entire prize? or is the prize money from the unclaimed tickets just kept by the state and reabsorbed into the lottery?

I believe it depends on the state but unclaimed lottery winnings is part of the treasury departments' unclaimed property division if I remember right.

This article is on the subject: http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/pf/unclaimed-lottery-winners/Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Nandy:DQ: is there a term for bike storage bars, like you put up at races or Ride Studio, so a bunch of people can hang bikes by their saddles? I want to make one and was looking for ideas, but whatever I type into the ol' google doesn't come up with anything.

A-Frame portable Event Storage Stand just for an example.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016

Does it have to be portable?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

No, I was thinking PVC just for cheapness, but I don't plan on moving it out of my basement with any regularity. I guess 2x4s would be sturdier."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016 edited

sawhorse bracket + 2x4sgone
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Alternatively, if you have exposed wood support struts in your basement, you might be able to mount a length of black pipe between two struts using two of these.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

That sawhorse bracket looks perfect, thanks!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2016

The shitty chain hardware store I went to didn't have those brackets, so I got impatient and just screwed some things together. Guess I'll see how it holds up and make changes as I go!
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2016 edited

So, my best friend from college, who I was planning to visit next week in Portland, is disabled and occasionally has flare-ups. He's experiencing one now and feels like he is basically unable to do anything, and he reluctantly called me to ask me to reschedule my trip for a later month. Delta charges a $200 flight-change fee. This plane ticket is only worth $320 so $200 feels ridiculous.

Does anyone have any experience or advice about trying to get that fee waived or at least reduced? The only thing I can think of to do is call them on the phone and hope they have some leeway with these things. I mean, he *is* disabled, so it's not the same as if it were just me changing my mind due to inconvenience or something.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2016

Any Delta ticket agent can change or waive that fee, I think. You might have better luck going to the ticket desk at an airport, where you can at least appeal to their sense of humanity in person. I've had a nice ticket agent waive both a change fee and a higher ticket price when I missed a flight (by a whole day because, ooof, I'd accidentally booked the wrong dates).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Kill 'em with kindness."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Ooh, thanks, that's a good idea about going directly to a Delta ticket desk to talk to them in person and kill 'em with kindness. People in Rochester are really nice, in a Canadian sort of way, anyway. I should do that first and then I can always try calling if that fails.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

This article seems knowledgable. I like the communicable disease route.

EDIT: Also this.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I tried that compassion thing when I was broke and needed an emergency flight to see to my dad in the ICU and Jetblue was all, "lol, fuck you". I ended up having to borrow the money and then got an extra "fuck you" from Cromwell when I got back. That was a rough month."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

if my wrist's been hurting the last few days (on the bottom, sorta lower third of forearm up almost to the base of my thumb) should i just try getting a wrist brace thing? seeing a doctor is semi impractical here...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

So, I biked to the airport (which is gloriously easy to do in Rochester) and tried explaining my situation to the ticket agents directly with super-niceness.

No go. They advised me NOT to try to change it through them, because they'd have to charge me the difference in price from what I paid to what they can get tickets for at the gate, which are like $650 for what is a $300 ticket online. They said they could find out what the change fee would be, but the only way they've seen it be less than $250 is in the event of a death, and even without the change fee, because of the price difference, it would be cheaper to just buy a whole new ticket. They suggested I try to do it online, so I guess that's the next step.

Nerdo, those web sites are helpful. The weather argument would work, as I'm scheduled to leave Tuesday, but rescheduling the flight for just a couple of days earlier or later is all they'll do in that case, and that doesn't help me if my friend is out of commission for a month.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    maybe try to find some sort of travel insurance that it's weirdly not too late to buy? like buying health insurance once you know you need an operationi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    DQ: So I rode my bike to get noodles on Wednesday...like a mile or possibly less each way, and then afterwards was having upper back pain that I'm fairly confident was associated with the ride. It was like half pain, half "need-to-pop/crack" feeling, in like a 2 inch diameter area right on my spine, horizontally about equivalent in level to where your shoulderblades go all demon wings when you move just right. Why is this happening, how do I prevent it, how do I treat it?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016

I have no idea but I'm waiting for you to let us know how the noodles were."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    the noodles were awesome. a little clumpy at the bottom of the bowl but that doesn't usually happen.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    nerdo:This article seems knowledgable. I like the communicable disease route.

EDIT: Also this.

That article made me cringe on the very first line..."Klingon rule of business" AAAUUGHH

It's the first Ferengi rule of Acquisition...quite the opposite of Klingons...Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2016

tinyhonkshus:DQ: So I rode my bike to get noodles on Wednesday...like a mile or possibly less each way, and then afterwards was having upper back pain that I'm fairly confident was associated with the ride. It was like half pain, half "need-to-pop/crack" feeling, in like a 2 inch diameter area right on my spine, horizontally about equivalent in level to where your shoulderblades go all demon wings when you move just right. Why is this happening, how do I prevent it, how do I treat it?

I've had something similar in the past, but closer to being at the edge/under my scapula next to my spine.

For me, my upper back/shoulders have always been extremely tight and I've always had a hard time stretching them, but the little amount of stretching I was able to do did help.

Time being, I would go on/off with ice and intermittently stretch, if you have a baseball (small ball similarly sized) lay down on the floor on top of the ball and use that to work into that spot as much as you can.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2016

Craigglesofdoom:
    nerdo:This article seems knowledgable. I like the communicable disease route.

EDIT: Also this.

That article made me cringe on the very first line..."Klingon rule of business" AAAUUGHH

It's the first Ferengi rule of Acquisition...quite the opposite of Klingons...

From one nerd to another, I salute you sir!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016

At what hour is it social acceptable on a Friday snow day to begin mixing a cocktail?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Socially acceptable to which crowd?

This crowd? 12:01:01 AM, duh.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    6kidz:At what hour is it social acceptable on a Friday snow day to begin mixing a cocktail?

Right about.....

Now.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    relevantNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    technically noon, but it feels best around 2:30i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorgc

nothing wrong with an eye-opener.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016 edited

I bought a Fox Float F29 on eBay, described as "the item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." The fork arrived and it doesn't seem to compress at all even with all the air let out, and the right side topcap assembly just spins in its bore in the crown and pulls straight up and out by hand, without needing to be unthreaded at all, and even knocks around with quite a bit of play back and forth in its hole in the crown. Here's a photo -- you can see how the threads inside the hole seem to start like .5cm down into there but the threads on the topcap assembly only go around .5cm down and start right at the top of the topcap:
     photo 20160206_015912_zpsbetmajyl.jpg

I also took a video:

I know I said in the video that I think they must be thoroughly stripped, but those threads look WAY too low down in the hole to actually have ever bitten in at all, and if they were really stripped, I figure there wouldn't be THAT much play in the socket as to cause the whole assembly to knock around, unless the threads were completely sheared to smoothness, which you can clearly see they're not, either on the topcap assembly or in the bore. I'm gonna disassemble this thing according to http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/F-Series/F29erRLC_RL.htm , but what the hell might actually be going on here that I'm gonna be able to fix when I take it apart?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    gc:nothing wrong with an eye-opener.
    You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

tinyhonkshus:maybe try to find some sort of travel insurance that it's weirdly not too late to buy?

Update: that worked.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    yay! I was just thinking yesterday I desired an update!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

^^Nice! Good to know.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016

i know dissimilar metals can bond/rust

will titanium and aluminium rust together?
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016

kossmonaut:i know dissimilar metals can bond/rust

will titanium and aluminium rust together?

I could probably dig a little deeper, but I think this covers it enough. The two will definitely oxidize together, and at a higher rate than that of alu/steel.

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/help-seatpost-stuck-titanium-frame-133424.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/1153424-post2.html

An anti seize will mitigate it, but I'd probably stay away from Alu myself.