Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I recommend the anti-seize that park makes. we have some at UA. It works.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016

do youz guys have a 10x1 helicoil i can borrow?MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016

How normal is it for commission bike shops to make you earn back 100% of your wages, making you start the spring hundreds or thousands in the hole if you work through the winter, way behind any new hires? I know we're working for greedy scumfucks, but this seems like it should be unusual.

Also, this thing tastes as nasty as it looks:
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016

uh. i am not expert in being legally employed...but that sounds like slavery. like actual indentured "we gave you job...so now you give us job back," kinda deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016 edited

Are you making, say, $20 per hour, $10 of which is wage and $10 of which is commission, assuming you make the commission? If so, you're entitled to $10 per hour, and it's perfectly acceptable that you only get the other $10 per hour back dated once you fulfill whatever the requirements are for you to start earning commission. Or if you make $10 per hour but you don't start earning commission until a certain point determined in your contract ("earning back all your wages"), I'm pretty certain this is perfectly legal too. No idea how common that is with bike shop commissions, but that's commission for ya. Agreed that this is shitty for employees who work during the slow months and better for employees who don't, but then you should be able to negotiate either a lower wage for the winter months without the commission backlog, or a higher wage for the summer months, a higher commission percentage, or a higher maximum commission dollar value ceiling cap, than employees who only work seasonally. http://www.wagehourinsights.com/recordkeeping/determining-when-a-commission-is-earned-when-calculating-the-regular-rate/

Indentured servitude would be if your employer is denying you even that first $10 simply because you didn't make the commission, and I'm pretty sure that's illegal both in NYS and in the whole country for that matter. The employer can certainly fire you for not performing well enough, but if they're gonna do that, they have to at least pay you for that $10 per hour that you've already worked.

That pizza shot looks nasty.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Nandy:How normal is it for commission bike shops to make you earn back 100% of your wages, making you start the spring hundreds or thousands in the hole if you work through the winter, way behind any new hires? I know we're working for greedy scumfucks, but this seems like it should be unusual.

Also, this thing tastes as nasty as it looks:

Worked in a couple of shops for ~ 5 years total time. Never heard of this. That said, I found this. Sounds like you're referring to a draw, which pulls against future commissions.

What is a draw against commissions?

A draw is a payment to a commissioned employee that is credited, in whole or in part, against
    future commissions. Draws typically function like an advance or guaranteed minimum payment
    of commissions subject to settlement at set intervals. At the settlement, draws made are
    supplemented by any additional commission earnings that exceed the amounts previously paid.
    The frequency and terms of the settlement must be included in the commission agreement for
    such settlement/recovery to be permissible. Draws are typically paid to employees like a salary,
    and are deemed to be earned in the same fashion.

A draw can only be reconciled against future commissions. Employees who leave the
    employer’s employment cannot be required to repay this type of draw. Draws cannot be
    recouped from earnings other than commissions; as such recoupment is an illegal deduction
    from wages.

May a commission salesperson be required to repay an employer for draws against
    commission?

The New York courts have repeatedly held that unless there is a specific agreement saying
    otherwise, a commission salesperson who receives draws against anticipated commissions is
    not required to repay those draws if the commission does not become finally due and payable
    to the salesperson. If there is a specific agreement providing otherwise, the Labor Law requires
    that such an agreement must be in writing and, if the draw is recoverable by the employer, the
    frequency of reconciliation must be included.

In other words, the employment agreement must specifically say that draws must be paid back,
    and must specifically describe the time periods of payback. (For example, there will be a
    calculation every 90 days to determine if the commission salesperson has earned commission
    of less than the draw paid during that time and that if the draw paid is greater that the earned
    commission, the salesperson must pay the difference to the employer.)

Without such a specific statement in the employment agreement, the commission salesperson
    may not be required to repay any draw against commission.

Also yeah, those things are gross.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016

so what happens if nandy's contract didn't specifically say "this job has a commission with a 'draw' system;" does that mean that they can just apply it retroactively if they see fit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016

It is a draw system, and it's garbage. You're essentially being punished for working during slow times and doing all the display work they need done, rather than just showing up for spring/summer weekends."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2016

I need you people to talk me out of buying a mountainy bicycle. This Cali SLX is sitting on the floor of this shitty exploitative shop, and I accidentally like it a lot.

They stopped making this one, but I can get a crabon superfly 9.6 for pretty much the same amount of dollars with sick shop dealz. I currently have a 26" single speed mountainy bicycle I got for the winter, but it's so fun it makes me want to start hanging out with the local mountainy people and find fun trails. Plz convince me not to spend a month's pay on something I'll only use occasionally.

I also despise their "smart wheel size" marketing. "The right wheel size paired with your frame size for the perfect combination of responsiveness and control" O, RLY? It's nice they care about fit on mountain bikes, but fuck, how about doing the same on your shitty fucking road bikes? Fuck Trek. But at least I wouldn't be giving them as much profit as I'd be buying it from a store."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2016 edited

Don't look at me, I will not help you with that. You live in WNY and you don't already own a mountainy bicycle? I didn't realize this. You need to correct this problem ASAP. We have some of the greatest riding anywhere and it's all so close.

Spend all the moneys. You will not regret it.

But in all seriousness, you don't need full crabon. And used 26ers are cheap as fuck right now. Get a good fork for the 26er and as much frame clearance as you can -- ideally enough clearance to fit 3.0's both front and rear. Or just buy a 24" fatbike as well. Or buy the 24" fatbike *instead*. For this area of the country, if I were only going to have one MTB, it would definitely have to be the fatbike. The selection of high quality 24" fatbikes out there is getting pretty damn good now. The On-One is specced really, really nicely for the $825 price.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Good, because I can get the metal version for less than a G, but if I can upgrade to crabon with Deore XT (rather than sram GX) for $300, should I? I kind of want to soak up the dealz while I can, it's almost half retail. My beat 26" has a fox f100x and 2.4" tires now, I'm not interested in fat bikes, just want some gears."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I went for an 8 mile walk the other day in the Cutler Woods and got passed by a ton of people on mtbs. Made me miss mine. I say do it!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

The smallest Trek Superfly 9.6 I see on that web site is a 15.5" frame with 27.5" wheels. That thing seems huge. $1300 for that bike in carbon with XT is a killer deal, but is it really going to fit you?

Out of curiosity, why no interest in fat? 2.3" tires limit your trail riding to mid-April through October around here. That's half the year you'll be missing out on. And I immediately started riding the fatty year-round because it makes riding gnarly stuff *so* much easier even in hardpack conditions.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

That Cali slx is a 15 and seems to fit fine. I'll see if I can find an old chart for that one and compare it to the superfly. The "women's" 15.5 is identical to the "normal" one, but there's also a 13.5 that I'm apparently slightly tall for according to their size recommendation chart (just comes in ugly pink! Fuck Trek), but I probably won't be able to find one for a test ride. I should probably do the 13.

I might get a fat bike later, but I really think that if that's what I start with I'll just hate it. Plus, it's mid March. Nat didn't get to ride his fat bike at all. Campus Wheel works does fat bike rides and rents them for cheap all winter."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Before you plunk down cash, I think you should definitely demo a couple of bikes and catch a ride out to Ellicottville! I'll drive -- I have to pass through Buffalo to get there anyway!

Regarding the shifting options, the Shimano XT and SRAM GX are both clutch derailleurs, so A+ to that for both of them, and they're worth about the same amount of money, and both seem to be the 10-speed versions so freehubs and cassettes are the same. Preference would likely come down to which trigger style you prefer. EDIT: Looks like Cali SLX and Superfly 9.6 both have Reba RL's, and the same wheels, too. So I think the frame is going to make the biggest difference.

Oh man, did Nat not ride trails at all this winter or did he actually manage to find stuff to ride skinnies on?
    Do Campus Wheel Works rent 24" fatbikes? I would assume not. Remember that any 26" fatbike is likely to feel enormous on you.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

The slx cali has an air fork and is totally incomparable with the current crap with the same model name. I'll make a better note of the components when I go there tomorrow, but it seems like it's pretty close to the new superfly 6 (retail on that slx was about $1700), but I wouldn't get as good of a deal on the one the shop already bought as I could right from Trek. The superfly 6 and 9.6 both have Reba RL forks.

Campus doesn't do Trek, but they seem like a pretty decent group, so if people show some interest they might be willing to find a 24" for next year. I think I just remember seeing Salsas there."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Time to demo. Ellicottville, let's go!!! I'll drive, I have to pass through Buffalo to get there anyway.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Well if you insist! haha

How do demos work? Wait until there's a day when reps bring their bikes? Would you have space for Nat, too? He has that nice Spooky but never rides it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Yes, definitely! I can hold 5 humans and 6 bikes in/on the ol' Vibe.

Yeah, the manufacturer factory demo days are where the manufacturer reps bring a truckload of their bikes to a particular trail and you can demo as much as you want for free. And at MTB festivals, several companies as well as bike shops usually all bring their stuff so you have a ton of options to demo. June 4th and 5th is WNYBikeFest at Dryer Rd park (the place I went yesterday) and it's gonna be incredible. I'm planning to bike over with the two friends from Rochester who I've been MTBing with a lot, and we're gonna camp out and stay there both days. The web site doesn't say yet exactly which manufacturers and which shops will be there yet.

But any shop that does demos regularly will let you demo for whatever their usual demo fee is, which is usually ten or twenty bucks more than their normal-stuff rental fee. (And you can apply as many demo fees as you want to your evenual purchase from the shop. So if you know you're going to buy something from that shop, there's no harm in demoing like thirty times -- you'll just be able to take home the bike at the end without paying anything extra! Some shops will let you demo anything in the shop. There was a place in Blacksburg VA that was like this; it was amazing. But you're gonna buy with your discount from your own shop, so that's beside the point.) I'm not sure which of the shops around Buffalo do this; it may be worth calling around. I suspect Mud, Sweat n' Gears in Ellicottville may do it -- their web page is all ski-oriented right now but that page shows they definitely do ski demos so I bet they do at least some bikes.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Mountain biking is the most fun biking."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Buy an old garbage 2000s mtb first if you're short on cash. The shredding's still good. And if you find yourself shredding often enough, upgrayedd.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2016

Yes, just don't buy it from RockDeath b/c he's a grifter."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    RockDeth sold me a $25 Giant Rainer that I swapped some parts on and rode for years.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    pocky:Yeah, the manufacturer factory demo days are where the manufacturer reps bring a truckload of their bikes to a particular trail and you can demo as much as you want for free.

Not being snarky here, but do they even bring the tiny lady bikes?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2016 edited

Yeah, my whole shop won't even stock a 13.5 I can try, and they have 4 enormous stores with hundreds of bikes each. We have trouble even getting them to order 52cm road bikes. They hate small people."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

That's a really good point, and honestly one that I haven't had to think about at demo days (average-sized dude privilege). I've definitely seen small bikes with feminine colors at these things, but don't know if they brought the absolute smallest sizes. Might be worth calling whichever vendors and shops will be there in advance of the event and asking them nicely to specifically to bring the tiniest ones.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus

if you were in MA, i would give you my sister's 26" FS air to ride. Stupid aqua-teal brand new gary fisher has been sitting in my attic for years. I would try and ride it on pump track (a bit small), but I'm officially banned from throwing myself through the air. Stupid bones.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

My friend Davis wants to know the best place to torrent ebooks?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^You realize I work in publishing, right? And that I'm partnered with a writer who lives entirely off her writing? Torrent stupid action movies all you want, but when you torrent ebooks, you take cash directly out of the pockets of highly underpaid writers.

/sermonWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2016 edited

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he only wants to torrent ebooks that are in the public domain.

So assuming that's the case, I'd say he should just go to Project Gutenberg instead of bothering with bittorrent at all.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    why don't YOU start publishing Iron Man movies, smart guy?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Also, Kindle: good or bad for writers in terms of royalties?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2016 edited

6kidz:My friend Davis wants to know the best place to torrent ebooks?

Boston Public Libraryi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:
    6kidz:My friend Davis wants to know the best place to torrent ebooks?

Boston Public Library

Seriously. Get a library card. Check out ebooks. If you live outside of Boston proper, get a BPL card and a local library card. I think I have memberships to 4 or 5 libraries and just get ebooks whenever I want something I don't feel compelled to buy.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2016

i got a used mtb for sale y'all
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Is it enormous? I do have a used mtb, I just need to take it out to trails and decide if that's all I want. Soaking up sw33t deals is pretty tempting, though."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

paul jameson:Also, Kindle: good or bad for writers in terms of royalties?

Used to be bad, getting better (now that publishers can actually set the price of their books).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016

Anyone know about Frederick, Maryland? I am going to a bike polo tournament there next week[hosted by DC bike polo] and just want to know if anyone has the low down on good food, coffee shops or whatever else?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

buddymike:Anyone know about Frederick, Maryland? I am going to a bike polo tournament there next week[hosted by DC bike polo] and just want to know if anyone has the low down on good food, coffee shops or whatever else?

i don't know squat, but i imagine you'll meet alex king there, tell him i said he's a nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

who is alex king....?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

a former roommate of mine who now lives in lancaster, pa, but can't keep himself away from dc polo stuff
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016 edited

Lancaster I think is bringing a crew, I'll check the roster.
    Edit, There is an Alex from Lancaster registered. Do you know if he went to the NYC tourney last July. Pittsburgh and Lancaster teamed up for a team. I kept stats on their team since I know some of their players already.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016 edited

he says he has been in he past but skipped last year
    buddymike:Anyone know about Frederick, Maryland? I am going to a bike polo tournament there next week[hosted by DC bike polo] and just want to know if anyone has the low down on good food, coffee shops or whatever else?

I went there as a middle schooler. Really liked the Museum of Civil War Medicine. They also have a pretty solid trompe l'oeil bridge.

I'll show myself out.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2016

That museum is definitely on my list of things to check out.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2016

Coxy brown is a road with the most disgusting climb just outside of towne-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2016

What's the haps for the marathon ride this year?
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016

I can't read too far down the page without an account, but it's definitely on.
    https://www.facebook.com/midnightmarathonbikeride

I wonder about security / the train situation. I recall last year that was a little bit of a rigamarole.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016

There's also this: https://www.facebook.com/events/975568812478320/

And the midnight ride has its own website as well: https://www.midnightmarathon.org/Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Please list models of bars with angled out drops like the Nitto Randonneur or the Salsa Woodchipper. I'm having a mountain of trouble finding anything but traditional drops in Spain.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?