Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Salsa Cowbells are slightly swept out. How intense do you want?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I just need a list so I can see what's available without huge import taxes and hassle. I'll take any sweep.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Ok my bb/whatever creak is reaching epic proportions. I recently pulled and cleaned the cranks and bb. There was some corrosion on the bb spindle which I scraped off, then tightened the hell out of the crank bolts (no grease). Everything was great for a week or so, now it's back with a vengeance. I'm beginning to think that when I originally installed the bb, I didn't tighten the crank bolts enough and now the crank/spindle interface is fucked. LIke, either the spindle or the cranks are no longer square. How can I tell without tracking down some calipers? Any other suggestions?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Could the creak be coming from elsewhere? Pedals? Seatpost? Saddle? Stem. Seriously, grease all those sumbitchesclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016 edited

Paul: buy some steel drop bars and bend 'em out yourself.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016 edited

DQ: Who in Portland, Oregon is up for riding bikes, drinking beers, or other shenanigans? I'm here till next Wednesday.
    (Update: Loaner bike covered!)
    (Josh? Alex? Dora? I know Paul is gone off to Spain...)::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016

i have the Nitto Randonneurs and enjoyed them while i used them
    sorry i dont know any others
    just my input
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2016

surprisefries:Ok my bb/whatever creak is reaching epic proportions. I recently pulled and cleaned the cranks and bb. There was some corrosion on the bb spindle which I scraped off, then tightened the hell out of the crank bolts (no grease). Everything was great for a week or so, now it's back with a vengeance. I'm beginning to think that when I originally installed the bb, I didn't tighten the crank bolts enough and now the crank/spindle interface is fucked. LIke, either the spindle or the cranks are no longer square. How can I tell without tracking down some calipers? Any other suggestions?

This way madness lies.
    I'd recommend what Eric suggested. But before you go ripping it into a million greasy pieces, make a lil schedule. Day One - grease saddle rails. Still creakin? Day Two - pedals, etc. If time permits/tools are available, you can do one on the way into work, and another on the way home.
    Just remember, it's always the last place ya look..
    Throw it in the trash and buy a smartcarYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016

pocky:DQ: Who in Portland, Oregon is up for riding bikes, drinking beers, or other shenanigans? I'm here till next Wednesday.
    (Update: Loaner bike covered!)
    (Josh? Alex? Dora? I know Paul is gone off to Spain...)

FYI there's a PortlandFixed. I know this because I made a troll account for Nuggetross there but was kicked out in less than 2 days."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    I'm just driving now instead. Also riding a different bike. I have played around, is def cranks/bb.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2016

dq: how often are you supposed to replace helmets? it's it like 3 years? cuz i was biking and mine was creaking like a dead tree in a strong wind and i realized it's maybe like 7?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

The foam does degrade eventually. They usually say to replace them every 4 years or so, especially if it gets used often. Little drops and general use will wear it down and it might have some cracks and be less effective."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i fear i may not actually be getting out "often" but.. yeah probs still getting to be time
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016

My friend is finna sell their iphone 5 on Craigslist but needs to wipe/jailbreak it first. What steps do they need to take? Their carrier is ATT and don't say just google it because they tried that and there are many answers but they are mostly dated years ago and the firmware etc changes so often."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    dq: can't they just factory reset it and sell it as an ATT iphone?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016

Only to other ATT users and my friend wants to cast a wide net."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    word. now that I'm thinking of it, i might have gotten a deal on mine because it was Sprint specific.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Well, they should unlock it, which if they're out of contract, is easy to do.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1008728

Submit device unlock request
    To unlock your AT&T phone or tablet to work on another wireless carrier’s network:
    1) From your desktop or tablet, go to att.com/deviceunlock.
    2) Read and agree to the eligibility requirements to unlock your device.
    3) Complete and submit the form.
    4) You'll receive a confirmation email with your unlock request number.
    5) Select the link in the email within 24 hours of receipt to confirm your unlock request.
    6) AT&T will respond within two business days.
    7) If your request is approved, AT&T emails the unlock code and instructions to unlock your device to you.
    8) The unlock code is located near the top of the approval email.
    9) Follow the instructions in the email to unlock your device.
    10) iPhone doesn’t use an unlock code. After receiving the email approving your unlock request, remove the AT&T SIM card and insert the new carrier SIM to begin set up.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2016

Thanks Stratton!"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    6kidz:Thanks Stratton!

No problem. I unlock all my phones the second permitted. Helps with resale/spares/loanersclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016

DQ: Is John89 a robot?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    yep, they walk among us. judgement day was a lot less dramatic than James Cameron led us to believe.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016

Perhaps he's a cyborg (1:03 in).
    Cyborg at 1:03::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I have some sram 10 speed double tap flat bar shifters. I seem to recall there being weird derailleur comparability. Does anyone know of any issues with double tap and shimano rear derailleurs? I've got a 105 and a deore. Thx.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016

conor! for mod:I have some sram 10 speed double tap flat bar shifters. I seem to recall there being weird derailleur comparability. Does anyone know of any issues with double tap and shimano rear derailleurs? I've got a 105 and a deore. Thx.

From everything I've read about them, the RD's have different cable pull ratios between shimano and sram so you're out of luck unfortunately. FD doesn't seem to be an issue.
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

from everything i have also read - sram and shimano are no bueno. sram road + sram mountain = okay. shimano mountain + shimano road = no bueno. shimano SLX = no bueno with anything else, including other shimano mtb groups.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

no you sram double tap shifter won't work with a shimano rear der.

The SLX info is incorrect btw.
    Ah yes, the issue is the pull ratios. Thanks, guys!You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2016 edited

Morgie:no you sram double tap shifter won't work with a shimano rear der.

The real answer was Dyna-Sys, which you cannot mix with anything else other than Dyna-Sys, even if the number of speeds match. But hey, there's also Shadow, Zee, and Metro to remember, which are slightly different, but still the same! By keeping Shimano road and mountain separate, and then pretending to blend them with all their random groupsets (I'm looking at you, "Metro"), it makes remembering what stuff works harder than should be needed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2016 edited

smoothness:
    Morgie:no you sram double tap shifter won't work with a shimano rear der.

The real answer was Dyna-Sys, which you cannot mix with anything else other than Dyna-Sys, even if the number of speeds match. But hey, there's also Shadow, Zee, and Metro to remember, which are slightly different, but still the same! By keeping Shimano road and mountain separate, and then pretending to blend them with all their random groupsets (I'm looking at you, "Metro"), it makes remembering what stuff works harder than should be needed.

XTR, XT, SLX, and Deore were all available in 10-speed Dyna-sys.

Even with the introduction of 11 speed they are still using the "Dyna-sys" label and adding an 11 to it:

"With DYNA-SYS11 Shimano encourages modern mountain bikers to ride anywhere with its advanced gearing concept that helps maintain rider efficiency. Designed with both XC and aggressive trail riders in mind, DYNA-SYS11 brings enduring performance thanks to smart materials and enhanced drivetrain stability due to new derailleur and chainring designs."

Dyna-sys11 is incompatible with Dyna-Sys 10 speed. The solution is to just go to Di2 everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2016 edited

smoothness:
    By keeping Shimano road and mountain separate, and then pretending to blend them with all their random groupsets (I'm looking at you, "Metro"), it makes remembering what stuff works harder than should be needed.

I'm convinced they do this on purpose to make more money by confusing people so that they just get frustrated and buy a whole new groupset every time they need to replace one little thing.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016

Someone moved my bike while it was locked and dented the down tube. Steel tubes, don't know the make. Any way to pop a dent out, maybe heat and compressed cold air, similar to car dents?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016

Tube block dent roller. A better shop should have them.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorMJ

pocky:Tube block dent roller. A better shop should have them.

I'd actually be curious if anyone finds somewhere that has them, my allez has a small dent on the ST that I'd like to do the same with.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

DQ how do you get tree sap off cars? i can get it off the windows with nail polish remover, but i'm afraid that would eff up the paint on the rest of it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

^ my recommendation for most car-related things is to set it on fire."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Goo Gone. You can get a tiny bottle for a buck at the dollar store.
    Goo Gone - How to remove tree sap::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

Nandy:^ my recommendation for most car-related things is to set it on fire.

i mean it's tempting, but wyoming is just not a place you can do car-free
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016 edited

a_lion:DQ how do you get tree sap off cars? i can get it off the windows with nail polish remover, but i'm afraid that would eff up the paint on the rest of it?

TLDW: Rubbing alcohol, better than everything else by a wide margin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I *love* Chris Fix. Closest thing I've found to Sheldon Brown, but for cars. His April Fools ones are the best.
    Blinker fluid::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

thanks yall!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016

I am starting a business in the coming months. This business will require the purchase of a laptop for business purposes. Do I need to wait until I have seen my first actual client before I buy it in order to write it off for tax purposes or can I purchase it now?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016

^Buy it now. As long as it's in the same tax year, you're fine as far as the IRS is concerned.*

(*Disclaimer: Not an accountant! Though I claim business expenses every year, so I'm pretty versed about how it works.)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2016

Just hold onto the receipt? Can I deduct a laptop insurance plan as an operating expense as well?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

And don't forget the above-ground pool that doubles as your swimming-desk!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Yes, hold onto the receipt. And you can possibly deduct laptop insurance plan. Make a spreadsheet and start tracking expenses. Later, you can add categories to the expenses and total them based on what category they go in. Also, if you have a car that you use for business, start tracking miles. The mileage deduction is very very generous. (I guess it shouldn't be surprising that even the tax code is structured to benefit drivers.)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Literally anything you use for your business is deductible. I work freelance so... as you will come to find out deductions are your best friend. If you use the internet for work, deduct that. Supplies, deduct. Having lunch where 30 percent of the conversation is business. that meal is a deduction. The real game is you have to show a profit ever few end of years. so for the first two years your deductions can equal a loss, but eventually if you keep showing a loss at the end of the year the IRS will consider it a failing business and then bad tax stuff happens. just keep ever receipt, log miles, and get an accountant.
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2016

On Wednesday I used CO2 to change a tube on the road, and by Friday it had lost most of the tire pressure. Does CO2 leak out faster than regular air we breathe, or do I have another puncture?