Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2016

^Respectively: Yes and maybe.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016 edited

I'm interested in the physics behind that yes.

Nitrogen has a 10% larger kinetic diameter and Oxygen about 5% larger (than CO2) taking into account the atmospheric composition we're at ~8% larger. But is that enough to make a noticeable difference in such a short time?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016

I was speaking from experience, but it turns out the chemistry supports it:

It turns out however that the leakage rate of CO2 is huge, and the reason is that it is actually soluble in butyl rubber and is thus not constrained to normal permeation loss, it can transfer straight through the bulk rubber resulting in severe tire pressure loss on the order of a single day.

Source here.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    coooooool.

so what you really want is a pneumatic-drive air pump that runs on CO2 canisters.

Or maybe nitrile or another more compatible rubber liner in the tubes, but CO2 is a pretty good solvent for most things (caffeine, THC, etc.) so it'd be hard to find one thats flexible, impermeable, and cheap enough.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016

A pneumatic-drive pump that runs on CO2 canisters sounds inefficient and bulky. Why not high pressure air? The smallest HPA tanks for SCUBA or paintball are about 7 inches long and 2 inches wide and hold about 1 cubic foot of air at 3000 psi, and they're refillable. The paintballers seem to say they get 10X as many shots from one fill on those than they do from a standard 12g CO2 cartridge (which are at 850psi). So you could presumably manufacture a 1 cubic inch HPA cartridge that gives you the same tire fillability as a 12g CO2 cartridge and isn't too much bigger (though heavier because of the thicker metal walls to support 3000psi). I'm not sure if that amount of metal would make a 3000psi disposable cartridge cost-prohibitive, but you could presumably make one at lower pressure with thinner walls and not really have it be significantly bigger while still holding the same amount of air. I just don't think there's been a market for it yet because paintballers don't care as much about bulk and CO2 works fine for most bicyclists who use it only for emergencies.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    When we're all riding nexibikes we'll laugh at the thought of ever having had pneumatic tires.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016

read a 1892 newspaper blurb today where the doctor who made the human skin shoes had just ordered a bike with pneumatic tires, a top of the line Columbia bike
    How do I tell if my bb spindle is rounded off or if it's my cranks?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016

Is your crankhole aluminum? Then it's your cranks.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Yeah they're Sugino 75s so, bummer.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016

could still be spindle, but usually it's the crank, and sometimes even when the crank is slightly rounded with a fresh BB it will get snug enough worth a try for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016

you using the correct spindle type/length? do the crank squares look.... square?MUFFDVR
    Yeah the bb was right. Maybe worth trying the Ben's prototype 75-compatible bb again for $30,that's what I was using before after I broke the spindle in the original 75bb. The non-drive crank is a little fuckey from the spindle break but it didn't look like an issue to me. I think I just didn't tighten the crank bolts enough after replacing the bb 'cause I was scared of over tightening, so something got rounded. I'll look at them closely again when I get home.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Are they creaking? I had what I thought were creaky cranks for the longest time until the seat tube cracked. Maybe examine the frame for signs of fatigue as well? It seems like this isn't the first time you've had crank woes.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Yeah they're recurring. I'll give the frame a good look, it needs cleaned anyway, but there's also a little playing can feel between the cranks and bb.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

+1 for creaking. Mine cracked clean off where the seat tube meets the bb shell.MUFFDVR
    It has gotten better in the past after I tightened the crank bolts, but only temporarily.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Anyone have any experience/advice about renting bikes in NYC? I'm gonna be there for a few days next week and would really like to finally ride in the city. Not really into the idea of bringing my own bike down there tho, too much risk of theft/damage. I just want to rent a "real" (not Hubway style) bike in my size that is tuned up and not a total pos for like 48 hours. There are a million results when googling bike rental NYC (and it seems fairly cheap) but reviews are all over the place and often negative so I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2016

All the shops in NYC are overpriced. Just borrow someone's shittier bike here and bring it down with you. Bring an enormous square-chain lock and lock every part of the thing, and/or don't leave it outside at all.

If that's not an option, Spinlister is probably your best bet. $10,000 insurance is included, so the kinds of dealings you'd have with the shadier shops (most spinlisters are shops anyway) are obfuscated the same way as with AirBNB. https://www.spinlister.com/search/s/new-york/c/new-york/loc/40.687340888226665/-74.05434980830081/z/12::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited

DQ: How have I never heard of Spinlister??Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:DQ: How have I never heard of Spinlister??

That's what I'm saying! Seems perfect for my needs. I can rent a decent looking basic single speed from a guy in the village for 3 days around 50 bucks total. Thanks Pocky!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016

You're welcome! It's all in a day's work for Superdan.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Goddamnit, hairline crack at the seat tube / bb shell. :'( :'( :'(DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016

^I knew it! Don't mourn. You rode the frame until it broke. Quite an accomplishment! Don't think of it as the death of one bike, but the birth of a new bike.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Haha there's no money for a new bike yet, but yeah. It's still rideable for now. My first sw33t f1x1ee, and I got 8+ years out of it.

I knew riding off that curb a month ago was a bad idea.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

At least you won't have to keep swapping out bottom brackets and crank arms?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

See if you can get somebody to ghetto weld it for cheap?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    ^^Haha, nice silver lining.

^Ooh maybe, anyone know someone who can weld aluminum?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:^^Haha, nice silver lining.

^Ooh maybe, anyone know someone who can weld aluminum?

general advice i've been given concerning aluminum frames: if they're somehow broken, the frame is no longer safe, due to material fatigue. something something molecular bonds are weak. i am not a scientist.

ghetto solution: clamp that break real fucking tight with some metal epoxy on the mating surfaces, or try to "fill" the crack with an aluminum filler rod. i've got a few - if you've got a MAPP torch (ten bucks), i'll give you one so you can set yourself on fire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016

my decals are coming off in this heat, ive seen clear stickers to cover decals, anyone know where i can get some locally? or do i just use shipping tape?
    ^^Thanks man, I will add a MAPP torch to the list for my next Homey D's run. I'd love if it could limp through the winter, but I really only need it to get through the next month.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016

You know those little tabs on the back of Brooks saddles for bags? Who makes those little tabs that you can screw on tab-less saddles? Nat had some really nice ones I borrowed, but a screw that holds it onto the rails backed itself out and I lost one. It's not Problem Solvers, Brooks, or Carradice."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016

Are you talking about these things?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2016

YUP thank you!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2016

Was watching some of the Olympic track races and it looks like fun. Is the nearest viable velodrome Kissena in NY?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016

yes but its probably not worth the trip. though it looks pretty flat. The superdrome in Dallas is fun though.MUFFDVR
    A nice TLDR to follow up on my post about NYC, bike rental and Spinlister ... I ended up renting a bike on Spinlister from a guy on the lower east side for around $18 a day. The experience started out great as moments after registering I got an email from someone saying they were a customer service rep and to let them know if I had any issues. I was having trouble getting my rental to go through and emailed him and while his initial email had read like an automated form letter, I got an immediate response and he was able to fix the issue I was having booking a bike right away as well as taking the time to link to some other listings much like the one I was trying to rent. So far, so good. FWIW I did not pay for the insurance - they have separate theft and damage insurances you can get, would have doubled the cost of rental to get them and while it was tempting to be covered while riding in NYC for a weekend, there is a $150 deductible on each, I'm thinking it can be hard to do MORE than $150 damage to a bike and also just took my chances as far as theft goes since I was planning on being careful and didn't want to pay extra with that kind of deductible attached.

The bike I chose to rent was a 58cm all-black single speed, couldn't see the brand but it looked clean and simple and set up similar to my daily rider. I got a message from the owner saying the bike in the listing had had it's wheel and seat stolen, but he had "the same exact bike" in blue if I wanted it. I was like yeah sure of course. So, I was supposed to pick up the bike at 10am Sunday from the guy on the LES. I showed up a few minutes early, sat around until 10 past then texted him, got a text back a few minutes later "whoa, just saw this, give me a few ... " all in all he was about half an hour late, comes out with a bike and immediately says "the only problem with it is this" and puts his hand on the seat and with barely any effort turns it side to side, it's completely swiveling around with ease. I'm like "yeah that's a big problem" ... I get out my allen key and take out the seatpost, can't figure out any way to tighten it (it was weird, almost seemed designed this way, the top of the post was a separate cap that just turned loosely), and then he says "well I have another post & seat inside I can swap out" YOU THINK? He needed to borrow my tools to go get it. After he leaves I actually look at the bike for the first time and realize it is TINY. It's a 54cm PureFix, probably made for someone 6" shorter than me and definitely not the 58cm bike I paid for. It's also ugly as fuck with cheap deep-V rims ratllecanned orange ... tho I don't care about that so much as that it is not even close to my size. Ultimately, I end up just taking the thing because I had already paid and was just anxious to get riding. So I spent 2 days riding all over NYC hunched over this tiny purefix trying to not feel like a total herb. Despite the shitty bike situation (and lower back pain) I did have a blast riding in the city for the first time and loved being able to go anywhere in minutes.

So, come Monday night at 10pm I'm supposed to bring the bike back to the guy. I ride over to his apartment and text him that I'm outside. No response. He had said "I should probably be around" but if not to lock it to a bike rack down the block. I didn't realize he was going to just ignore me tho. I tried calling and texting again, gave up after 15 minutes and locked it to the rack and texted him that was there. To this day I never got a response to any of those texts, I was just left to assume he had got the bike back in one piece. He left me a super positive review on Spinlister a few days later so I guess he got it back ok. I'm torn as far as writing a review myself, I feel like I really should let people know this dude is flaky and that I had issues with rental (I did read a bunch of good reviews of him before renting) but it's hard for me to trash people in online reviews, despite being a flake and clueless he was a nice guy and I hate being the one to blow him up but damn it really was not an ideal situation. Next time I'm just bringing my beater and two locks and taking my chances. Riding my own bike would have made the whole experience so much better.
    Spinlister: great idea, dodgy execution
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016

if the ad was inaccurate and the bike not what you thought you were getting you should say as much.

the next person might not have tools to fix the problem, or knowledge of bikes.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016

MORAL DILEMMA FOR ME NOW

I sold a bike on Craigslist.

I listed it as Large (which I thought it was, having checked some dimensions to the geo-charts).

Guy came over, rode it around the block, bought it.

Now he emailed saying it's actually an XL and it's just too big for him, and that a Large would have been perfect.

I have no reason to doubt that from him, and I probably mis-measured (mainly because it's harder to do than i thought).

He hasn't asked for money back, but I'm expecting that. I haven't replied to his email yet.

What to do?????? (oh i spent most the money already....it was $600)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^No no no. All sales final.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

Its all in his head. It felt right when he test rode it. Then he probably realized it was actually an XL and then it felt different.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorMJ

JimmyJ:MORAL DILEMMA FOR ME NOW

I sold a bike on Craigslist.

I listed it as Large (which I thought it was, having checked some dimensions to the geo-charts).

Guy came over, rode it around the block, bought it.

Now he emailed saying it's actually an XL and it's just too big for him, and that a Large would have been perfect.

I have no reason to doubt that from him, and I probably mis-measured (mainly because it's harder to do than i thought).

He hasn't asked for money back, but I'm expecting that. I haven't replied to his email yet.

What to do?????? (oh i spent most the money already....it was $600)

He rode it, that's enough where he should have been able to make a decision irrespective of whether you listed the size correctly.

nerdo:^No no no. All sales final.

Agreed 100%.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016

yeah this seems to be everyone's thoughts i've spoken to.
    i feel a little bad but so far he hasn't asked to return it so i haven't had to say no.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Anyone got a burley tail wagon? Looking to test drive.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

We just bought a HoundAbout (size medium) for our corgi. It's pretty small but you're welcome to borrow for a day or two, if you decide you don't want the Burley...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I'm pretty sure I saw you riding it down Washington this morning. Didn't recognize you but saw a corgi in a trailer. Thanks for the offer.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Somebody re-post that pic of that corgi in the trailer, plz."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Oh yeah, that was me.

Andy, do you mean this??

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016

THANK YOU.

THAT FACE, THOUGH.

SO CUTE."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2016

What does one do with records that are no longer wanted? I don't really want to list and ship a bunch of things individually.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly