Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2016

donate to a radio station?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016

I need to sell my mountain bike. The front disc brakes need to be bled, they aren't working at all right now. Better to pay to have this done now or say in listing that it needs to be done in case the person wants to do it themselves to save money?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    it takes like ten minutes if you know someone with a bleed kit. otherwise better to pay, people don't like paying to work.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016

There used to be a little plastic piece on top of the headset here, but I set it on my work bench and it promptly disappeared. How important is it? It's just a dust cover, right? Should I try to make something out of an old tube and tape?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016

Those things don't keep water out, and I don't know how much dirt is going to get up in there, so I bet it's mostly for looks. Maybe try a rubber washer from a hardware store?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016

plumbing dept^maybe for kitchen sink
    Carbon bars.
    So I decided to go with Some thomson carbon bars on my road bike. I like the bars, I like the way they feel and the shape, but, they keep rotating forward on me. I am using recommended torque on the tomson stem and even tried over torquing them a Nm. still, they have moved on me. Really only when the bike leaves the ground and does not land perfectly square. I also tried using carbon past. I would like to have the confidence on this bike to launch it off some sweet jumps. Any suggestions on product to stop this from happening? Or should i just give up and pick out some alloy bars. thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016

Sweet jumps + road bike = ?????????????Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Its more of a gravel bike. 32c tires. uggg nevermind
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/5784127812.html

Is this a good deal?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

i have a 61cm Somec Air in shiiiiiiiiiity condition. It this is good and can be polished up they're so nice to look at.
    the seatpost cluster alone is worth that price for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I would pull the trigger but I'm trying to downsize on bike shit right now. Too bad they shaved the brazings for FD off, still would be a cool 1x8/9/10."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

toy4x4runner:Its more of a gravel bike. 32c tires. uggg nevermind

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to derail the actual question. Sadly, I have no insight for you...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016 edited

6kidz:I would pull the trigger but I'm trying to downsize on bike shit right now. Too bad they shaved the brazings for FD off, still would be a cool 1x8/9/10.

It really sucks that the previous owner cut critical pieces off the frame, then lost interest and sold it. I would still try to clamp something onto the seat tube, though. In my experience 1 x anything - FD = chaindrop.

toy4x4runner:Carbon bars.
    So I decided to go with Some thomson carbon bars on my road bike. I like the bars, I like the way they feel and the shape, but, they keep rotating forward on me. I am using recommended torque on the tomson stem and even tried over torquing them a Nm. still, they have moved on me. Really only when the bike leaves the ground and does not land perfectly square. I also tried using carbon past. I would like to have the confidence on this bike to launch it off some sweet jumps. Any suggestions on product to stop this from happening? Or should i just give up and pick out some alloy bars. thanks

If you were using 4 nm of torque, maybe try 5. That said, I did put a crease in one set of carbon bars, and divots in the clear coat of another set, but I think that was because of a bad clamp design, or maybe faulty carbon. Also, remember to tighten the bolts in an X pattern if there's 4 bolts 1/4 turn at a time

Edit: Oh man I guess Thomson carbon drops cost like $250, so eh I don't know... I got the ones I had for <$50.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016

if the stem you are using isn't made to as tight tolerances as your thomson bars it could be the culprit.gone
    mrotown:What does one do with records that are no longer wanted? I don't really want to list and ship a bunch of things individually.

Deep Thoughts will basically buy any and all of your records apparently. Seriously—I went in with a stack of shit I was fully expecting to toss to the side of the road, and they bought em all. I went to the new Cambridge location, but there's another in JP.Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016

Anyone got a dry basement I can store bike flips in until the Spring?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

Are there any free bikes in it for me?MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

depends?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016

Related DQ: Anyone have experience with renting to others on spinlister?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2016

Ben, I got you with the dry basement. Shoot me a text.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016

i need the threads on a 1 inch fork extended down the steerer, anywhere in boston that can do this? 1" threaded wound up with steel steerer tube
    If it's already threaded, you just need someone with an appropriately sized die. I would imagine there's a machine shop around that will have the right size.

Otherwise you could try some of the older framebuilders in the area.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016

Anyone have some sweet places to go camp overnight within riding distance of Somerville?
    Like 50 miles or so?

Want to do a Saturday night ride and camp to test out new gear.

Also happy to catch a train somewhere and ride for a bit, then ride all the way back on Sunday (up to 60/70miles)

Legal/Dodgy camping ok with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I too am interested in this, though I can't do it this Saturday.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

i'll happily do more!

i'll try get some paved and non-paved versions of these things going one of these days.
    main thing is to do the first one so i can say i've done it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Harold Parker State Forest is kinda popular for that kind of trip.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2016

thanks Morgie! Found a couple of routes up that way but the camp ground closes mid-Oct.

Seems like camping in some state parks is ok if you give notice. Found some in Nihan and Bellingham so far...no idea what the places are like and if they'll let us, but we'll ask and find out.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2016

I'd need to up my game with cold-weather camping gear. Then again, it's so friggin warm right now.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2016

DQ: anyone want to go to Montreal to see Matthew Good in March?
    (ps, hi, I'm leaving Wyoming March 5th, job or no job, so maybe see you guys this spring/help me find a job out of this nightmare zone maybe?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2016

Congrats on escaping Wyoming soon."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2016

thanks, the idea of being a person who has fun or leaves the house on non-work days is pretty fucking exciting
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016

wyoming rules and i'm going to move there soon.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016

everyone i've met from other parts of wyoming has apologized when they heard i live in rawlins, so...y'know. wind up in another part of wy at least. it's pretty soul-crushing here.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2016

can you not get polka dot deep Vs any more? why am i even coming back to civilization?!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017

Did superb close?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017

Found this on their website:

It has been an honor to serve this Beacon St neighborhood. Superb was the 2009 reinvention of Boston Bicycle. Renovated and redesigned out of love and a clear vision to add a new style to bicycle retail, Superb has developed a national and international audience. While departing from our storefront at 842 Beacon St, we will continue the concept as Superb returns home to where it began at 259 Mass Ave Cambridge: the home of Cambridge Bicycle. Here our provisions and staff will unite under one roof to offer an even greater customer experience. We hope to see you there and thank you for helping us progress the culture of cycling.
    Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

Should we lock down this whole forum and keep it as a sick fixie time capsule?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorAlphonse
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017

^ I think people should post more. I know I don't -- no longer live in Boston, and mostly only lurked anyhow -- but it's still what I think. It has looked like a good community here, and I'm not sure what could have taken its place. Seems like it should still be useful to everybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017

Same. I almost posted "RIP Bfixed" a couple times, but I think there's hope. How do these forums get started in the first place? Does it need a regular event to tie it together and find new people? Boston FNB came back from the dead with almost no old members and it looks pretty healthy again."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I too am holding out hope. Maybe some summer rides/docksing could kickstart more posting?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017

Heck yes to all of the above.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Hoping too! (in part because this seems to be one of the only sites that my 2003 PowerBook G4 can load).
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^lolWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2017

i just wanna tag n brag :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2017

Re-start it.

Maybe we could figure out a google maps version for losers who moved away?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries