Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017

I have some horrid skewers on my backup bike. I need to change them out too. Skewer party!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017

So we don't think it's a drop-out spacing issue that will require cold-setting?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2017

The wheel fits in fine, right? Might be the axle is wider than the dropouts."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017

My Schwinn World is standard 126mm old-school road spacing. If you have to really fucking pry the stays apart to shove the wheel in there, maybe he got a 135mm mountain wheel, and yeah, I think that's too far. If it's a 130mm new-school road wheel, that's not too far that you can't hand-spread and expect it to fit just fine.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017

has anyone ever used ammonia to remove a seized aluminium post from a steel frame
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017

Not I. But I did try to hacksaw one out once. That also failed.

Where are you located? Sassy at Revolution Bikes got my stuck post out. I shudder to think what he did to make it happen, but maybe he's still got the seatpost mojo?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

hacksaw will be a last resort, id heat it before that

i thought revolution closed.

my chain once snapped in jp and i asked someone there to borrow a chainbreaker after buying a replacement chain, they gave me the biggest attitude
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Did it close? I haven't been by in a while but I thought they were still chugging along.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017

Nat's used lye at our shop to dissolve seatposts successfully."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Guess who's back.. it's charlie, who forgot his old password.

Dumb question: I got into a pretty serious accident a month or so back and I'm having trouble getting back on my bike because 1 I don't have one and 2 traffic now skeeves me out for some reason. Any tips on not being lame and getting over myself?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017

1. Is there a chance for an insurance settlement? (In other words, was a car involved?)

2. Take it slow, and ride some bike paths until you get used to being on the bike without traffic. Then take some less-traveled roads. Work your way back into it.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:1. Is there a chance for an insurance settlement? (In other words, was a car involved?)

A car was involved and all of that has been sorted out I'm not getting any money because the person involved refused to give me any claim information after the fact, which is fucked, but whatever. Also for all who didn't see my Facebook post or who don't have me on Facebook, clowntown didn't make it out of that crash alive.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017

Wait, Clowntown? Is dead? .........................................NNNNNnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017

That sucks. Maybe riding with a buddy could help too. I've been helping a friend who was really shaken up by a dooring and it seems to help. I also find that drivers tend to behave better when there's more than one cyclist."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    NOOOOOOOOO

fuck i missed real actual forum content and now Clowntown is dead? fuck.

Glad you are okay though Charlie. Definitely hit bike paths and such with other people, and get back out there slowly with friends.

I feel like we should have some kind of sendoff for Clowntown.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2017

Definitely a sendoff for Clowntown! Make it so!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017

kossmonaut:has anyone ever used ammonia to remove a seized aluminium post from a steel frame

nerdo:Not I. But I did try to hacksaw one out once. That also failed.

Where are you located? Sassy at Revolution Bikes got my stuck post out. I shudder to think what he did to make it happen, but maybe he's still got the seatpost mojo?
    Nandy:Nat's used lye at our shop to dissolve seatposts successfully.

Ammonia dissolves aluminum oxide and can work if there's enough space for the ammonia to work itself in between the post and frame. That being said, I didn't have any luck the last time I tried it.

However as Andy mentioned, lye absolutely works if you're not looking to hold onto the post. Lye will dissolve the aluminum without affecting the steel, and sans a quick honing, you're pretty close to having a new seat tube.

General things about using lye for that, make sure you have somewhere well ventilated to leave the bike for a few days (byproduct is hydrogen gas, so away from anything flammable). Have vinegar on hand as a neutralizing agent for the lye on the chance you get any on you.

Not_so_youngblood:
    nerdo:1. Is there a chance for an insurance settlement? (In other words, was a car involved?)

A car was involved and all of that has been sorted out I'm not getting any money because the person involved refused to give me any claim information after the fact, which is fucked, but whatever. Also for all who didn't see my Facebook post or who don't have me on Facebook, clowntown didn't make it out of that crash alive.

You have the person's name and other information though? Was there a police report?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017

Hey Charlie now that you're back maybe you can pay Senile Mick back for the jersey you ordered and never paid him for."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    oh_SNAP.gifDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017 edited

6kidz:Hey Charlie now that you're back maybe you can pay Senile Mick back for the jersey you ordered and never paid him for.
    arm warmers, but yea, how bout that? still got them in the packaging too..somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017

...there are still some of those snail arm warmers kickin around? i think i moved to greece in the middle of the ordering and couldn't do it at the time...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Hey Sean, I think you have a buyer for those arm warmers!

Doubt they're big enough for me but I'll be your backup buyer if Charlie and a_lion both fall through. :)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    yasss bfx and TSB both comin' back in 2k17DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

a_lion:...there are still some of those snail arm warmers kickin around? i think i moved to greece in the middle of the ordering and couldn't do it at the time...

If they're not skin tight on you I wouldn't. I lent my size L warmers to someone once thinking it would conform, and by the end of the ride they had fallen down past her elbows.
    Indeed corinne, ive got a pair of medium snail warmers. They ought to fit you, but please feel free to try them on first.

Rob, ive got a pair of large leg warmers, lightly used. That candy cane stripe design. Would be happy to sell those to you if youre interested. Also, feel free to try em on.

Ill message you both prices.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017

I still have a new in bag jersey around somewhere that I would love to sell. I got it as a back-up and I highly doubt it would fit anymore."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    6kidz:I still have a new in bag jersey around somewhere that I would love to sell. I got it as a back-up and I highly doubt it would fit anymore.
    same reason mine are packed away right now..high heat dryer cycles + donuts = no fit. i mostly blame the dryer, but it's probably mostly the donuts' fault.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2017

The takeaway: Keep eating donuts, and hang-dry your kits!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^+1DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2017

anyone wanna see wolf parade with me 10/20?