Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2018

potential roommate guy came by yesterday, told me he'd lived some other apartment place 9 years and "only" was late with rent 20 times. so that's...great. also he does laundry every 2nd day, because he only has 2 days of clothes, as if buying an extra 2 tshirts at walmart wouldn't be more cost effective than all that power/water, and something about using bathroom wipes both before and after everything he does in the bathroom, i don't wanna think too hard about that bit
    (DQ: how does an adult say "yeah you're not the roommate for me but i do maybe still want one so i'm not takin' down that craigslist post" =P)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2018

Oof."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yyyyikes.

I mean an adult would say more or less exactly what you did there? The problem is whether the other person takes it as an adult or not.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2018

i mean, he thinks that having paid the late fees those 20 times means there's 100% no reason for the building to be displeased with him, he was actually like proud telling me about it/thought it was a plus!
    did finally send an email last night. too bad all the other people that expressed interest are, i think, craigslist scammers

the one useful thing about having met that guy was he let me know that tickets at the movie theater in town are $3 on tuesdays! (and only $5.50 the rest of the time)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    bonus!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2018

are camelback cleaning tablets just rebranded denture cleaner?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

That may be my favorite DQ of all timeWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

^sure time for a signature

2 camelback tablets are $12
    120 denture cleaning tablets are $5.88

but heck maybe only cleaning it once ~a year is the kind of challenge my immune system needsThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha thanks for reminding me that my water bottle is getting disgusting.

It seems like a lot of people have the same question and that the answer is, probably. Or at least you can use denture tablets just fine. Or even just diluted bleach or baking soda, which is apparently what most denture tablets are made of anyway.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2018

i...might feel better about an amount of bleach that someone else has measured? cheap enough why not. i think i must have touched the mouthpiece with spray sunblock on my hand, and the taste was so bad on this last ride that it was finally time to clean things.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ughhhhh that's so gross. I too have tasted spray sunblock because children. It also "somehow" got all over our car onceDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2018

I wash the outside of my bottles after every ride, mostly because there’s dead animals on the road, and if it gets on my wheels, it’s probably getting on the bottles? I also have a pretty good dish washer that could probably be an autoclave, so I put them in there sometimes. If the bottom of the bottle gets nasty that sucks, so I guess use a sponge on the end of a stick, or they do have those cool bottles with removable bottoms. Also don’t leave the tops on when they’re sitting around.
    i should dishwash my bottles and be less of a gross person.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2018

I clean my Camelbak (not nearly as often as I probably should) by filling it with the hottest water from the tap and hand dishwashing liquid, and shaking the crap out of it, and running the hot soapy liquid out the hose and refilling with clean water a bunch of times till it runs clear. To clean out any smeg that's jammed in the hose, I have a Camelbak-branded bottle brush that's super long and flexible and designed to go THROUGH the hose. I use a dishwashing sponge jammed through the fill hole, to clean any smeg that gets caked in the corners of the bag.

I regularly dishwash my bottle cage bottles and use a bottle brush with handwash soap if and when stuff gets caked on the inside.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    smegggggggDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2018

DQ: Do I go back in time to 2005 and buy this bad boy?

Bonus points for using BOMBPROOF. Guy knows his lingo.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2018

Or do I go with this guy for his unironic use of the word "whip"?

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    dude you gotta get the HED

also, 59cm for someone 5'9"? lol. maybe I just have stubby legs 'cause i'm 5'11" and 58cm is a stretch.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2018

biking over soft sand without investing in a fat bike? any tips?
    •  
      CommentAuthortweedledum

learn to love going nowhere and falling down a lot?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

never clip in, basically you're on a balance bike and will be frustrated and exhausted in 20 minutes, congratsThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2018

How much soft sand? Enough to walk? It'd probably have to be a lot to make investing in a fat bike worth riding a fat bike the rest of the time."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2018

CX tubulars with low air pressure?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

ive been hitting the beach alot this summer
    last time i went i ended up walking like 6 miles down the beach, which wasnt bad... but the walk back was miserable
    the whole way back all i wanted was a bike, and then remembered most bikes suck in the sand
    so here we are
    •  
      CommentAuthortweedledum

Did you wear shoes? Maybe you could cartwheel most of the way back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

roley poley
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2018 edited

somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    WANTTTTDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2018

DQ: I'm back in Boston to load up my house into a moving trailer. Yay! Are there any able-bodied humans willing to help move some furnitures in exchange for cheap beer? Next Wednesday afternoon/evening or Thursday morning...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ah, definitely can't do Weds, and probably can't take off thurs AM but I'll look into it

Joe is still in town and might be up for itDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2018

cleaned my bike the other day, and now it's clicking, maybe around the cassette somewhere? iiiis the obvious solution just to go ride through some mud puddles, get it dirty again? i kinda feel like it is.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    I think that's the solution to everything.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

proooobably a good idea to have a shop check it out if you can."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh yeah it's not gonna happen before tomorrow's commute but then i'm also working (/driving in) all weekend so it's not like i need it for fun anywayThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2018

ok so i went to the shop and the cute one wasn't even working so, like, what was the point of that? (idk they futzed with the rear derailleur a bit, we'll see if it's any different someday if i ever don't work again)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2018

Pedals can click sometimes for no reason, and it’s not necessarily the internal parts. Take them off and grease everything that makes contact with the crank. If that doesn’t work, rip apart your entire drivetrain and hate life.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2018

i don't even have the tools to take it all apart, but i'm sure with enough effort i can skip directly to the hating life part.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

ok while i was at the bike shop on thursday, i told them to come to an event at my work today, and one of them apparently found my personal fb today to tell me he wouldn't be able to make it in time, and i guess he's hitting on me now, so...right. k.
    also holy shit, 6 people registered for my event, which clearly said please register so i know how much food to get, and god damn 50 people showed up! which is great that that many people came, but some people were having to wait 30 damn minutes for a scone to bake!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

lol"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2018

non-bike dq: what even does it mean if my freezer makes ice that's fine, but other things in there (ice cream) are half melty?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    It's probably not cold enough. I'm assuming something like ice cream has a lower freezing point than relatively pure water- so if your freezer is set at or a little below 32F, water will freeze but not other things.

You could also be getting uneven cooling due to airflow or something but that seems less likely. You could try moving things around to different places within the freezer and see what happens but I bet if you just turn down the temp a bit that'll fix it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2018

temp's already at the coldest it gets, i think the next step is maybe actually "email the apartment lady" which i always feel bad about. the maintenance guy was in here putting up blinds today, told me all about the heart attack/2 week induced coma that had kept him from fixing the leak in my ceilingThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    hmmm, is it really full? I would then try moving stuff around to see if anything changes.

Yikes, that sucks for that guy and also it sucks they couldn't find someone else to fix the leak, which of course is generally an urgent thing.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2018

it's like half full, but things on multiple shelves all feel not-as-frozen-as-expected

the lady told me that the other people that had working were busy getting apartments ready for new people, and that...took priority? but anyway i showed the guy today (apparently he lost some memory while he was REPEATEDLY DEAD) and he said he'll tell the lady and get back out here to fix it...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2018

oh noooo the bike shop guy has continued to hit on me on fb (and tried to take it to the real world) and like 2 minutes after i fell asleep last night, asked if i had a couch he could crash on last night. this is so not goodThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Sounds like the freezer may just be crappy. Try packing it full of stuff even if it's just ice packs. That will at least help it keep the temp steady.

So not good because creepy or so not good because tempting but bad idea?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

maybe a bad gasket seal around the freezer door
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

a_lion:oh noooo the bike shop guy has continued to hit on me on fb (and tried to take it to the real world) and like 2 minutes after i fell asleep last night, asked if i had a couch he could crash on last night. this is so not good

Ew. Just no. That's mega-creepy.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2018 edited

kossmonaut:maybe a bad gasket seal around the freezer door

i would believe the bad seal cuz there's like funk happening there that makes me feel bad about myself as a person trying to keep a non-scummy apartment

surprisefries:So not good because creepy or so not good because tempting but bad idea?

not the creepiest i've ever seen sure, but... 'fb stalked me (probably had to look into the work computer to get my name) and then bullshitted his way into my house/bed' is not how i want my romance to start.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    shit yeah that is creepy, I think i misread that the first time

if there's funk happening it is very likely from a bad seal

ETA Fortunately if it is a bad seal you could probably fix it or at least make it better yourself (rather than waiting for them to fix it) with some weather stripping.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D