Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2018

weather stripping? i guess that makes sense, in that (roughly speaking) the winter isn't staying in the freezer enough...
    have to go to home depot for ALL THE SAND tomorrow anyway...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2018

i would order one for the fridge model off amazon, home depot wont have it.
    look for "freezer door gasket kit"
    there are also universal kits
    that's smart, i was just thinking buy some random weather stripping and have at itDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2018

anyone have a savvy way to stash a usb cable in/on their bike.
    my rechargeable lights dont hold the same charge they used to
    ideally somewhere that doesnt need a tool to remove
    Coiling it under the saddle, held by a velcro cable tie?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2018

origin8 stash bar?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2018 edited

'Ugh, I hate to ask this question because I feel like a jerk - I tried to talk a local shop into me paying them to give me advice on this subject, but their suggestions for what services might work for me didn't breed much confidence as to cost:effectiveness ratio.

Here's the situation: A few years ago I bought a F/F from a guy on a forum. I have this bad habit of buying bikes that aren't on paper quite big enough for me, I'm 5'11"+ (shrinking apparently) and keep buying (trad geo) 55s. I know full well I should at the very least be on a 57, probably even a 58. I keep doing it (my old fixed gear is a 56, vintage road bike 55, cheapo do-it-all cross 55ett).

I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable on any of them, getting down on the drops is a tiny bit crunched maybe, but I'm old and out of shape, and I thought the drops were for holding snacks from the convenience store?

So yeah, I did it again. Effective Top Tube on the bike in question is 55.5.

I know it runs counter to every rule of halfway correct bike fitting, but I'm ok with going with a somewhat longer stem to compensate.

Mostly I'm just trying to figure out whether I should just own up to my stupid stupid ways and sell off this F/F (uncut fork, never been built) or go ahead and build it up. I got a decent deal on it because I promised to use it, two or three years ago, so I'm doubly an ass.

I straight up asked the shop fitter/owner via email if I could pay her for some fitting time just to figure out whether there's any hope or if I should say ciao to that bike, and she suggested either doing their low cost service where they swap over measurements from a current bike that fits well (see my too small bike buying problem as described above), or a full on bike fitting. I'm happy to pay for a fitting, and will likely go ahead and do that if there's any hope for me in this bike, but it seems premature when I know it's a few CMs too small. She's the bestfriend of a friend and I probably should've just name dropped in order to get special treatment (the mutual friend would almost certainly give me a hard time about not name dropping), but I always feel squeamish doing that.

So, any hope? I'd rather not sell it, but it's just gathering dust in my garage and decisions need to be made.

TL;DR: I am an idiot and keep buying bikes 1.5-2cm too small, am I even more of an idiot if I try to make another one fit rather than selling it and reforming my stupid ways?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2018

If your body's used to a smaller frame, switching to a larger frame now might be more problematic. Can you borrow someone's larger bike and ride it a while and see if it's worth changing your ways?

Btw, I'm 6'1" and could probably ride a 59 or 60cm but I love my 58. Whatever works for your body!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Ha, I asked much the same question on a different forum and got much the same suggestion. It's a really good one, and I have to confess it didn't occur to me to go try a larger bike.

Duh!

Thanks!
    whoa i'm 5'11" and i can fit a 54 fine, 55-56 is ideal, 58 works but is slightly too big (though i have 2)

mr stubby legs over hereDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Yay!

Although it seems we might be exact opposites, I'm relatively long-legged, I think, but I have a fairly short upper body (compensated with long monkey arms). Still, I think I've gone from "Accept it, you need to sell it and move on" to feeling like maybe I didn't do something all that stupid.

Also double yay, because it occurred to me I might be able to find the original posting of the bike, and I did, and there's the geo sheet and it's actually a 56 ETT, so oh man, I got that sweet sweet half CM back! Not to mention it's apparently 81+ cm standover height, so regardless of top tube it's meant for someone about my height. If anything I'm gonna be hoping my shoes add a teeny tiny bit of height or I may be getting up close and personal with that TT on a regular basis.

Maybe I'll go ahead and set up that appointment for a fitting after all. That or just throw some random parts on it to preserve my inclination to do everything completely the wrong way.

Thanks again for the help!
    sounds like a good plan. I'm all for making a good frame fit (I have some long stems). Then again I don't race or regularly do long rides.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you're quite capable of setting up a bike yourself, I can barely put a bunkbed together without 20 visits to a hardware store.
    Haha. I'm pretty handy but home ownership has made me a Homey D's regular (for better or worse, it's by far the closest hardware store). Also youtube is a godsend.

I can set up a bike well enough to ride around town but I'm not in the same universe as a pro.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2018

don't buy compact handlebars, and don't use a stem less than 110mm. see what happens then?
    compact handlebars can chop a significant portion off the reach of a bike's cockpit.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I think that might be part of what I didn't like about the cheapo CX, it has compact bars.

Only downside is my mental plan to swap a lot of parts over seems to be falling by the wayside. Oh well. Was already reckoning there are a bunch of parts I'm gonna have to buy regardless (seatpost, headset, etc).
    Sorry if this is a superdumb question, but did something happen to Geekhouse? Website's down, no social media activity in a long time?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2018

i think they retired
    Huh, yeah, looks like Marty moved on to other (robotic?) pursuits.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2018

anyone been to trentino? i (embarrassingly) got sorta hooked on the idea by ads back during the giro, looked it up, and i think my mom and i are going to go next september - looks like they have hella (rather flat) paved bike trails, and you can rent both regular and e-bikes around there so i can ride a normal bike my mom can ride an e-bike, and we can toodle around and maybe both enjoy it. i'm looking for all the hot tips for the area, and maybe for planning bike vacations in generalThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    no but it sounds pretty greatDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018

Not I. But can you take me with you?? Who's game for a Bfixed group vacation????? :)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    oh man that would be somethingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018

partyyyyy! my mom and i will be asleep at like 9pm every night so be quiet coming back to the hotel!

a_lion:non-bike dq: what even does it mean if my freezer makes ice that's fine, but other things in there (ice cream) are half melty?

finally told the apartment lady about the freezer yesterday, someone looked at it today, getting a new fridge tomorrow. woo! (honestly if it took them a few extra days so i could eat the food in the fridge that'd be even cooler, but this is very good.)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    excellent!

I assume you can't just transfer the food because you'll be at work? Maybe if you left the guys a 20 they'd do it for you?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2018

put it in a cooler and another bag with ice packs, they moved it and the fridge got decently cold surprisingly fastThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    sweetDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I feel like I asked this once in the past, but any trivia-heads on here?

There's an online invite-only trivia league I play in (no, not one of those "you can win money!" apps), and close of the referral period for this upcoming season is fast approaching.

It's free to try for a season, but it does require something of a commitment - the two essential rules being "Don't Forfeit and Don't Cheat." I'll spare everyone the details unless someone is interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2018

I used to play pub trivia a bunch in Boston. Haven't had the time since moving West, but I'd be interested in details, depending on how insane the commitment is...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2018 edited

The season is 25 game days, weekdays only, and they tend not to run it on holidays. It is possible to play up to 5 game days in advance if you know there are days you won't be able to do it (I've never done that, but my understanding is that they don't have to be 5 consecutive days, a person could advance play a game day here and there). Also you can customize email alerts so as not to forget.

A game day consists of 6 questions. You answer questions and assign points to the questions as defense against your opponent (while everyone league wide gets the same six questions each day, you only play against one person each day). Questions are revealed at 1am Eastern and close at 12:59am the following day, and there are definitely people who use that entire period of time to contemplate, but it's rare I spend more than a 4 or 5 minutes thinking them over. Sometimes I'll spend a little more time when I know there's an answer on the tip of my tongue that just isn't coming to me, but more often than not I reckon it's either coming or it's not so I just play and kick myself later.

The next season starts November 14th, there's a break the 21st through 23rd for Thanksgiving, and then it's over by December 21st.

It does have a ridiculous sounding name, Learned League, but by my understanding Learned was the surname of one of the original participants (it started offline in an office in NY in the mid to late 90s).
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018

with that sort of time, what sort of questions are these that you couldn't google them?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018 edited

You totally could, for sure, but that's why the credo is "Don't Forfeit and Don't Cheat." And Googling is clearly cheating.

People take cheating super-seriously... like, hypothetically what do you do if, after reading the questions, you turn on your car in the morning and the radio's already on and the first thing you hear is the answer to a question? A lot of debate on that one (conventional wisdom is it would definitely be cheating if you turned on the radio hoping they would talk about the subject, or knowing they were extremely likely to, but it's left as a gray area in the expanded rules so you can decide for yourself whether you feel like you were cheating or not - could always submit a blank answer if it's a significant enough moral conundrum - frankly if it were me and it was a totally unintentional reveal I *might* submit it, hard to say).

All of this is why I usually play quickly - I don't like being put in the situation where I have to make that call, so once I open that day's questions I try to avoid anything that might reveal an answer, etc until I'm done, within reason of course.

On the flipside, I don't really care that much if other people cheat. I reckon they're the ones who have to live with that decision. Also, if you make it to the top level ("Rundle A") and win, you're obligated to do a video-chat proctored live championship (held once a year). If you don't fulfill that obligation you get banned for life (absent some really good reason of course). On the other hand if you actually win the yearly championship? You get a commemorative LL champion's scarf.

It is not a particularly attractive scarf, or not the ones I've seen photos of anyway. Thankfully I can rest assured I will never ever win that scarf.
    Just to give a sense, these were the questions the last match day of this past season.

---

Q1. A spice used in the Middle East and India (particularly in naan), also known as kalonji, black caraway, black cumin, or onion seed, has a name that is also the first name of a famous cooking show host, cookbook author, and television personality. What is that name?

Q2. With over 23 million residents, what self-governing state is the most populous such entity, by far, that is not a member of the United Nations? From 2004 until 2010, it was home to the world's tallest building.

Q3. "Beale fired—Obscenities Provoke Record Calls" is the headline and subhead of a fictional 1975 edition of the New York Daily News that appears in what film?

Q4. There are two foundational stitches in knitting. The first is known simply as knit. What is the second, where the working yarn comes from the front side of the needle, and the needle enters the front of the stitch from right to left? Originally, the term referred to gold and silver thread used for embroidery.

Q5. Discussions between the United States and the Soviet Union, the first round of which concluded in 1972 and the second in 1979, and which were aimed at restricting the production and deployment of nuclear weapons, were known by what four-letter acronym?

Q6. In the darts games 301 and 501, a player's final throw, to achieve a score of exactly zero (the object of the game), must have what characteristic?

---
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i'm letting down the team already in my head =/That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Yikes, I only have guesses, some worse than others:

Q1: Padma?
    Q2: Dubai?
    Q3: [No clue on this one]
    Q4: Crochet?
    Q5: SALT?
    Q6: Bullseye?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i think 4 is purl, that's all i've gotThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Dubai was my guess for 2, 5 is almost certainly SALT or maybe START? For 6 I think it has to be a double?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018 edited

4 is Purl, yes! And yes on Q5 as well, SALT. Oh man, and yes to Double. I had absolutely no clue at all on that one.

A1: Nigella (interestingly Emeril was the most common wrong answer, but I bet they got a lot of Padmas too, that makes sense)
    A2: Taiwan (Dubai was the MCWA)
    A3: Network, I love that movie.
    A4: Purl (Crochet was indeed the MCWA)
    A5: SALT
    A6: Double (Bullseye MCWA)

But just to be realistic, these were the get rates of everyone who played (I think around 14k people)

1. 26% (17% said Emeril)
    2. 40% (11% said Dubai)
    3. 53%
    4. 54% (6% Crochet)
    5. 61%
    6. 21% (32% Bullseye)

There's an award for the person with the most MCWAs at the end of the season.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I WILL NOT BE JOINING THE LEAGUE OF CHAMPIONSWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Heh, gotcha.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018

I actually thought about Nigella Lawson but couldn't remember her name. Ah well.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    There was some kind of middle eastern bread recipe I came across at some point that had Nigella seed as a topping... also early on in her show I watched a few times.

Despite going 5/6 that day I still lost by a point on defense (my opponent missed Nigella, I missed Double). Oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Now you gotta send more questions cuz we're hooked (speaking for 1/5 of all active forum members)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018 edited

Despite that I did more winning than losing last season I somehow keep picking gamedays where I lost. If I hadn't flubbed Q2 I would have at least tied. Also a day where I was really mad at myself, I had seen a youtube video of the guys in #3 (nerf guns are super popular among the kid crowd here, and they had a silly nerf gun challenge video). Never noted their name. Now I can't forget.

1. What noun appears in the titles of a 1927 novel by Willa Cather, a 1912 novella by Thomas Mann, a Pulitzer Prize-winning, unfinished autobiographical novel from 1957 by James Agee, and a 1938 novel by Elizabeth Bowen?

2. Romano is the best known and most popular variety of what Italian hard-pressed cheese, made from the milk of a ewe (from which it gets its name)?

3. Texans Coby Cotton, Cory Cotton, Cody Jones, Garrett Hilbert, and Tyler Toney are members of an entertainment/sports group whose main YouTube channel has over 34 million subscribers, and the five men now star in a television series on Nickelodeon that features the group. What is the group's name?

4. Name the Greek king of the 4th and 3rd centuries BCE who is remembered today (historically and linguistically) for his campaigns at Heraclea and Asculum, where he emerged victorious despite massive losses.

5. What is God, according to the title of a recent hit song by Ariana Grande?

6. Founded in 1910 in Jeannette, Pennsylvania, a company named Penn has, from its beginning, manufactured what specific sporting equipment, of which it is America's #1 seller? Excepting similar and accessory items, this is the only thing Penn produces.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

2 is romano a kind of parmesan?
    4 i'll wake up around 2 and have remembered this one and it'll piss me off until then
    6 tennis ballsThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

dq - i emailed a gym to ask what time this one specific class they offer is, and if group classes are an extra fee beyond the membership fee. they responded that a) group classes are at whatever times (not specifying if it's the one class i'm interested in) and b) i should come in and meet a trainer who will tell me if there's an extra fee

this is going to be a billion dollars, right?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

PYRRHIC VICTORY so presumably pyrrhus or somethingThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018 edited

I have never belonged to a gym other than a Y, but I'm going to say... yes?

2, No, but that is what I said. It felt super wrong, but I was blanking on the right word and wanted to get on with my day.

But yes to 4 and 6! On 4 I made myself a little nuts thinking about the name but settled on the right one in the end. Spelling does not count, there's a "Sound-a-like" rule that is usually pretty generously interpreted. I did double check and Pyhrric was not accepted (obviously it asked for an individual's name).

TBH I wasn't that crazy about the questions this last season. I should look back and pull some of the ones I thought were good from past seasons (because the game is data driven that's actually pretty easy to do, I can look up question history by category).
    I did want to point out that not all of the questions are ludicrously hard. There are 18 or so categories of questions, in which there are more or less questions each season (I'm a dork so I made a spreadsheet - for the most part it's pretty consistent season-to-season). Difficulty is generally on a bell curve, with mostly medium difficulty questions and a few insanely easy and insanely hard questions.

Last season the following was the easiest question, 92% of players got it.

*The heart, liver, and lungs of a calf or sheep chopped up with suet, onions, oatmeal, and seasoning, and boiled in a sheep's stomach, is a traditional preparation of what dish, which is historically served during a Scottish celebration known as Burns supper?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2018

yeah, i think non-y gyms are often real shady, getting you in contracts you can never get out of n stuff. i don't even want to walk in the door without already knowing a number, as i am bad at facing the awkwardness of walking back out without saying yes.

considering i majored in classics and got an ma at a program in greece...it's sad how few greek names were on a loop in my head (in a real non-useful way) until i got the right one!

haggis D=That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo