Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2018

Where did Cannondale get that color green anyway? Did it exist before Liquigas? Its okay in moderation, but when it’s all over everything, and combined with Jonathan Vaughters’s argyle, I just don’t know. I like, the new kit, though, and the original Garmin blue/argyle was kind of cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2018

a lot of more recent cannondale bikes still seem to have that green, so i'm not sure it can be blamed on liquigas (disclaimer: my bike's liquigas cannondale colors and i like it!)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2018 edited

Luquigas had cool stuff and for some reason I did really like the dark green of Team Europcar.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2018

i was fond of euskatel euskadi pretty much just because when i first was getting into pro cycling i thought it was a specific person's challenging but cool nameThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2018 edited

It might be a name in Basque. See Tinkov...
    I thought Euskatel might mean Basq-Tel(ephone)?
    Apparently I was right, Euskadi is the Basque term for Basque Country?

I just know Eusk-things (along with words with Xs near the beginning) are tell-tale signs of a trivia question that involves the Basque language.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2018

yeah i mean, it was the team, i thought it was a riderThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2018

dq: why do people ride rollers? like, that seems non-stop mildly stressful?
    related - are there (presumably fluid?) trainers for under $200 that are legit quiet enough to use in an apartment?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I guess it's okay once you get good enough at them? Idk, I never used them much. You can get a fork attachment though.

I have a magnet cyclops that's not terrible, but that's $250 (fluid is $300) and I don't know how it'd sound to downstairs neighbors if that's what you have. The direct drive ones are supposed to be super quiet but also super expensive."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

I at least made sure to be on the first floor so I could do hiit workouts, but I do have a roommate in the next room who sleeps 2 hours later than me...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2018

Taking a guess that rollers feel more real than the riding-through-slush feeling of a trainer?

Not sure what less expensive fluid trainers are out there, but I heard that the fluid can sometimes leak, so maybe make sure it has a warranty or at least a good review. I got a used cyclops fluid and have no problems...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2018 edited

All trainers and rollers are loud as fuck in an apartment. I do have a set of aluminum drum rollers that are much quieter than anything I've tried previously.

Yes, rollers feel like actual riding. Trainers feel like a bad dream where everything is going in slow motion and your tire keeps slipping. You do get used to rollers over time. Ride in a door frame until you feel ok about balancing. It'll take a couple weeks max. There are also pricey rollers that make it so you don't fall off the edges as easily. I hear you can even get out of the saddle and sprint on them, a thought that fills me with so much anxiety I can barely type it.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2018

sprint straight into the grounddd D= yeah yikesThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha wooo

I only ever tried rollers once and it was after a few beers and on my beater bike with montmarte bars and it was terrifying and fun. I only didn't fall 'cause I was right next to a fence I could grab.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2018

gcn just posted a video on keirin racing, and it looks like they warm up on rollers set between permanent metal bars coming out of the ground you could grab if neededThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2018 edited

DQ: Does anybody on here use Slack with any frequency? I've been toying with the idea of starting a bike buddies Slack community for some time, but worried that there wouldn't be enough people who used it, or that Slack would just disappear someday. Since the latter doesn't seem to be happening, maybe it's a good time to assess the former?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2018

i haven't used it. had vaguely wondered if the few people left here would do better on discord or something so you can have more chat-type convos, but also i find discord annoying so maybe that's a better idea?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    I don't but Mrs. Fries does a ton, for work. She seems to like it pretty well. Our CEO talked about instituting it here but that never materialized.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2018

Used slack at a previous job. Hated it. New job uses Microsoft Teams. Lots of stupid gifs. A-e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2018

how hard is the initial adjustment with a tandem? going on a bike trip next fall with my mom and i was planning that i'd get a bike, she'd get an e-bike, but apparently renting a tandem is also an option that would keep her from getting lost?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2018

I feel like it's something you won't know until you try it. For a while when I started the loss of control freaked me out, but she might be fine. If it's from the same place maybe test ride both?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2018

sounds like she wants to do the longer/more mountainous ride, so we're just getting her the damn e-bike. i can suffer myself up the mountains one way or another, idk that i can get both of us. the try both is a reasonable idea though, thanks=)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2018

I should probably try to get my mom on an e-bike..."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2018

"blahblah we can spend time togetherrrr lalala" parents can't resist that shit, right? my mom's started spin class this week to be ready for our bike trip. i've started...stress playing with kayak/train websites? how the fuck do you even get places in italy? anywayyyy it'll come together.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha, go your mom!

While we're here- chainring bolts: lube or no lube?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2018 edited

^^ Whatever you do with Italian trains, I'd be sure to confirm everything any of the railroad employees tells you, don't know if it was a language barrier thing but ended up on the wrong train headed out of Florence (right general direction, but took a fork away from the station we wanted). Good train system though.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2018

oh, comforting. thanks!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

^^^ I do either a tiny tiny bit of grease or blue loctite"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

DQ: Waterproof pants? Waterproof socks? Waterproof overshoes? What's your rain gear setup? I'm re-upping my gear and looking for recs. Also looking for bad experiences with products if you have 'em. This shit's pricey and I don't want to burn cash if I can help it. Thanks!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^^thanks! Sounds like my bb creaking AGAIN but I want to go over the chainring bolts first.

^ I don't wear anything waterproof below the waist. Just wool socks, and tights and shorts that will dry relatively quickly. Generally they're still a little wet when I put them back on though which sucks. I miss the dry room at my last job. Never had good luck with rain pants, I just get extra sweaty, and I wear through the seat/crotch pretty quickly.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Hmm I remember loose bolts being the culprit of creaks because it causes the chainrings to shift slightly under load. I usually grease up everything because I hate having to break seized up bolts with that little tool with the two pins that you need for the non drive side. Bolts that take an Allen wrench for the non drive side, and a star wrench for the drive side seem like the best idea.
    that was the thing last time it was creakin'

turns out the bb was also shot though, but since that's new i'm betting on the boltsDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2018

last time i investigated creaking i found a cracked chainstay, good luck
    ugh, thanks.

This will be my first winter without my first sweet fixie, my aluminum langster comp, due to a crack near the bb shell. RIPDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2018

nerdo:DQ: Waterproof pants? Waterproof socks? Waterproof overshoes? What's your rain gear setup? I'm re-upping my gear and looking for recs. Also looking for bad experiences with products if you have 'em. This shit's pricey and I don't want to burn cash if I can help it. Thanks!

Showers Pass gloves and socks highly recommended. Never bothered with overshoes because the seams were always a week point. The waterproof socks basically acknowledged your shoes were going to get soaked, but protected your feet.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2018 edited

BOG BOOTS FTW if it's super shitty out, with some cheapo rain pants because I tend to not have the problem with legs overheating. I'm also not picky on rain coats.

Nat loves Rain Legs. Looks real goofy but works. May be hard to find at a shop, we had to go through some supplier we don't normally use like BTI or something. They're European AF"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha those are pretty awesome, if you have full fenders. i need to fix my bike with full fenders. damn poor drainage and standing water on the roads.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2018

Omg the rain chaps. Hilarious/awesome!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2018

dq: who is gonna watch memories of the alhambra so i have someone to talk about it with? (k-drama on netflix, modern day with an AR game, zillionaires fighting over it, mysteries, murders, romance...)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2018

I never watch k-drama but I recently watched a k-drama spoof on Netflix that was pretty amusing.

Follow-up DQ for me: Anybody have any real-world experience using products made with Gore ShakeDry material?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2018

dramaworld?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Dramaworld! What did you think?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

been a while, but i enjoyed it. got to play with so many tropes/stereotypes, given the nature of the thing!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2019

Update: I finally installed a set of Crud Roadracer MK2 fenders that I'd bought a long time ago and they've changed my life. Super pain in the ass to install, really amazing coverage. Why did I wait so long?? Now to get a waterproof jacket and maybe some sock situation and call it a day.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Nice! It appears they don't make 'em anymore? Based on a very brief internet search.

hehe sock situationDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2019

Yes, they've upgraded to a 3rd generation design, which is why mine came so cheap. Though it seems like the new fenders have less rear wheel coverage than my generation? Weird.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2019

I have a bunch of bikes with full fenders and most of them have generators now and I fuckin love it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ooh you are living the dream!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2019

anyone heard the band bloom.? they're apparently from boston, playing here tonight, trying to work up the energy to be awake past 9/leave the house in these temps.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo