Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

i feel like I have heard good things about them, did you go?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2019

saw a post by the venue saying they were having the show in the garage so dress real warm, and i 100% dropped the idea. a bummer.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2019

Does anyone know if the information you hear while you’re asleep gets retained in your subconscious? I was thinking that since people are asleep for 1/3 of their lives, that’s a lot of time that could be used to get some serious smarts going. I tried listening to Bach on repeat I was asleep for a while, but didn’t notice any improvement. On a similar note, if I could figure out how to sleep walk, I could get a lot of shit done, like cleaning the bathroom, and maybe even try some intervals on the trainer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2019

DQ: how high is ryan t rn?

For real though, that'd be so handy to remember stuff you hear when you're asleep but p sure it doesn't work like that. There's those people who train themselves to adapt to taking power naps throughout the day so they get enough deep sleep to function while staying awake more hours overall."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Hahaha.

It worked for the Venture Brothers, right?

I had some friends in college who tried that nap thing. Mixed results, also passing out at random times.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2019 edited

Actually, im on a WhatsApp message group with some friends to plan skiing, concerts, and other hang out type things, but a lot of the topic has been about is weed, weed vape, edibles, which I don’t partake in, but it’s been somewhat informative, like I never new what Sativa actually was, ha
    Hah, I accidentally read that as Salvia at first.

That was a fun thread.

ETA [link], though due to whispers that might not be the right comment number for anyone other than me. It's a joeyfresh post from March 14, 2010 about doing salvia at Pfist's place. Sadly, the rainbow hell drawing is just a broken link now.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    whoa i forgot how dumb it got in the following posts :/DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2019

It's a good story. I somehow missed the original post but Joe told me over beers. Pretty amusing. And, yes, Pfist is super nice in person.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2019 edited

Lately I’ve not been able to stand the sound of compressed air, so mostly just air brakes on a bus, but I also wish it didn’t make that burst of air noise when you take the pump nozel off of a full tire. Are there any pumps that don’t do this? An audiologist told me I do have a little bit of high frequency damage (probably too many sound gigs with loud ass bands) so at least I know why my ears are hurting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2019

huh, I feel like I've used floor pumps that do that less, but I don't remember which ones or if it could have something to do with how the seals are worn in. Idk, check out shops and test some out maybe?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2019 edited

been watching a lot of kdramas lately, but netflix recommended me a taiwanese show about (romance and) professional cyclists. so, dq, who is gonna watch n talk about this show with me? See You In Time, bit over an hour long episodes, looks like 16 episodesThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2019

Possibly, if there’s no pump valve noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2019

far too slow, i'm already 8 episodes in =P
    no valve noise, they did get excited and sing a song while swinging bike wrenches around once thoughThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    How do people feel about voting for themselves in an election?

Personally I think it's weird, but other people are telling me it isn't weird, and that if you have confidence in yourself you should vote for yourself. Needless to say I have enough confidence in myself that I'm running (for school board, so, committee work, nothing thrilling), but still, it'd be weird to vote for myself, right?

The thing is, I'm pretty strongly against one of my opponents, fairly neutral toward another although we have a polite but substantial disagreement on one major subject, and the third I encouraged to run (there are four people running for two seats, so I can vote for my person and either vote myself, someone else, or can just cast the one vote). Oh, and it's important how things turn out because on the 5 member board there are 3 people in favor of the thing I am opposed to, plus myself and another person with whom I have something of an alliance. If we can knock out one of the two people I disagree with, we have a majority on the board.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2019

idk, I guess you could just not vote?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2019

i mean, you support yourself enough to run, support yourself enough to vote! why wouldn't you? you're not running to _not_ win...
    make yourself #1!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2019

also it's almost certainly not going to be the deciding vote, so go for it. The other people are probably casting a vote for themselves"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    In the end I did vote for myself, but thanks for the input! Almost certainly correct that my measly vote probably won't tip it either way, but you never know in a small town.

I realized it was always possible that the current chair might get re-elected, at which point it would matter whether we knocked nice lady off the board (majority or bust). For that reason I voted for myself and the woman I support. Maybe could have waited until after the annual school board meeting to vote. Given the expressed sentiments of the crowd I would be surprised if the current chair is re-elected.

Downside is I may have to keep going to meetings.
    I think it would be a bit weird to run for something and *not* vote for yourself. So, good job!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Thanks!

Turns out a person cannot judge Australian-ballot voting from the sentiments expressed by the crowd at the annual schoolboard meeting. I won. The current chair won. Balance tipped, but there may be unpleasant work ahead making sure she's kept away from the trappings of power.
    hey, congrats!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2019

woo a new era begins! pizza for school lunch every day!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2019

that schoolboard politics is a thing it so weird, but good for you for getting into that mess and trying to make it better!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    The school lunch at this place is, from what I've been told, pretty impressive. In season almost everything is local (if not from their own garden). I think they might make their own bread? I think they might make cakes on some particular day to celebrate that month's birthdays.

The flipside is there's a lot of food insecurity so they try to feed the shit out of kids while they're at school.

It's hard not to be apprehensive about what's to come, on a number of fronts. I guess that's what I get for complaining board meetings were boring.

PS: I am sure they will still be boring.
    ^Similar situation in Somerville public, the lunches they have (judging by the calendar) often look better than what I eat now, let alone what I ate in school. And they have free breakfast- and there was talk of making lunch free too, due to the high percentage of kids already that get free/reduced lunch and maybe don't get breakfast at home.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Nice. We never experienced the Somerville public schools, but AFAIK my friends there with kids seem pretty happy? Can't say we've discussed the food.

I *really* miss the playgrounds in Somerville. Mass has some really good playgrounds in general (there's one off 91, I think probably in Holyoke, that looks pretty cool but haven't yet visited), but Somerville has a whole bunch of nice ones.

We don't quite qualify for the federal free food for everyone program (based on % of kids getting free and reduced lunch/breakfast), but it's pretty close.

If you tell the kitchen folks in the morning parents can go have lunch for... $5 I think? 2.79 for students. I should probably go some time on a day when the menu looks particularly appetizing.
    Yeah, and they are redoing playgrounds too so there are some really sweet ones around. The one at the end of our block is small but pretty great- climbing structure, sprinklers, musical stuff too.

Most of our local friends with kids are in Somerville public, I think we're all pretty happy. They've come a long way. We got lucky and MiniFries got into the dual English/Spanish immersion program which is awesome. And the new high school looks like it's gonna be really sweet.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2019

our park district got a 100K grant last fall, so is putting in another 2, $100k playgrounds this spring (apparently playground equipment is hella pricey), so if you're ever passing through ohio...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    sweeeeeeeeetDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D