Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2019 edited

Back on the same topic... do any of you have any opinions about bicycle aesthetics? I generally haven't cared that much, because why? which has been greatly aided by often buying used bikes with parts on 'em or just using whatever I could get cheap or right then and there pre-internet. Still, now that I'm actually buying parts and I could just order something black or not black, I reckon I might as well give some sort of shits about the topic.

Anyway, I've realized I have a black frame, with mostly black components, and a black saddle. Do I just give in to blackness and get a black stem and seatpost, or is that going to be too much black? Conversely, if I get a silver stem and seatpost am I going to regret not having the wherewithal to just do all black?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2019

all black except a very few bright pink or nice teal or whatever parts. it's the way to go. (i had an all black bike with teal cranks and rims!)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Do you have ESP?

Not sure I mentioned this at any point, but while I said it's a black frame, it has bright pink decals and the fork is pink.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

sounds to me like you're going in the very right direction!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    i have lots of opinions about bicycle aesthetics, but i also have the opinion of ride whatever you want

i think the total blacked-out look is kind of tired, so i agree bright accents are the way to go!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I guess black looks more pro, and silver looks more classic. I don’t know if Campy still makes a silver group somewhere down their line, but you definitely don’t see a lot of silver on newer race’y type bikes.
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2019 edited

For sure everything seems to be black these days. I did eventually make a decision, and while it isn't together yet, judging from the parts next to the frame I'm thinking I made the right call.

But now, another DQ: I screwed up headset ordering which threw everything off (brought bike and HS to shop: fork race was the wrong size)... original plan was to have the bike mostly put together and to the bike shop this weekend for them to sort out the cabling, etc (partially because I'm lazy, but also because I am not as exact a person as one could stand to be). It's kinda difficult to get everything just right without the headset in, in terms of figuring out how many spacers I'd want on the fork, etc, and I'm not even 100% certain this bike will fit me right - does it make sense to have them cut the fork at 40mm or whatever the max amount of spacers for a crabon steerer is, and I'll sort out exact fit later? Obviously can't ride it with the uncut fork, and I don't want to cut it too short and then realize that the bike doesn't work for me for some weird reason.

I should probably add that I have never let a bike not fitting me exactly 100% correct stop me from riding the hell out of it before. That and judging from standover height this must be awfully close, probably just a matter of dialing things in, which I suspect will take time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2019

I'd say leave it reasonably long, you can always cut more later. Plus if it doesn't fit and you sell it buyers always like having steerer length available.

I left a butt load of steer tube on my Pack Rat. There's like 40mm on top of the stem, it's ridiculous"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Cool, thanks!

I went to a bikeshop in Hadley yesterday, I know it's my own damned fault with the internet, but that place had so few small parts it was ridiculous (I figured they'd have a backroom or some area with some parts, but everything they had seemed to be out in the mechanics area - limited supply of spacers, limited variety of canti/caliper brake pads, no replacement canti springs).
    seconded, though my experience in this area is very limited

but it is more room for colorful spacers, so that's great!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2019

to be fair, my shop is ancient and has tons of parts but I don't even think we have many canti springs. They're usually specific to brake models and rarely worth rebuilding when whole new brake sets are like $15 retail. Needing spacers isn't super common since most new bikes come mostly assembled with an appropriate amount of spacers already.

Could always ask them to special order things if you like the shop and want to give them business."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    They look the same as springs I find online?

They were just convenient to my errand-running rounds, I'd rather support the shop nominally in my town (I swear they're in the neighboring town) or order it myself.
    Sooooo my rear wheel has axle bolts that need an allen key to tighten, and I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I rounded it out trying to tighten it up. And my wheel just slipped up in the dropout this morning as I was crossing Cambridge St, which was "fun". Am I doing something wrong, or is it just a dumb design? I feel like the allen key doesn't fit deep enough in there to torque it properly.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2019

Do you have one of those security axles? I tried those for a while but didn't like, though I can't remember why. Maybe they just broke eventually?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    If they're anything like the allen bolts that secured my PW rear wheel, it isn't you. In my experience they were just super-soft and prone to getting messed-up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2019 edited

yeah if it's security skewers they're made of butter and strip before they're even tight in my experience. If it's those higher-end hub ones like surly or phil where it threads right into the hub def get that checked out"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nah it's a hub one, a Surly that's only a year or so old. I need to take it in anyway, got a creak i cannot get rid of.

I have another bike with the same issue, but I have yet to actually round it out.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Those look like the ones that came with my back hub... I showed them to a mechanic roommate once and he opined that they're too soft for the amount of torque people put on axle bolts with an allen wrench (and the allen wrench is harder) in a fixed setup. I had a hard time finding them but he recommended getting a particular grade automotive bolt. I ended up with a lower grade bolt that held up ok but could be better. YMMV, particularly with a higher grade bolt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2019

I kind of hate that design, I haven't had an issue yet (I don't put a ton of miles on the bikes that have them tho) but seems like it'd be more susceptible to shaking loose and being under torqued."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah. I think all they'd have to do is make the hole deeper and then the allen wrench would get more bite. I always torque the shit out of my rear wheel because it's fixed, and I'm heavy and of course i am huge and strong and put all the watts into that shit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2019

to be fair, my coworker is like 6'3 and 280lbs and rides surly hubs fixed without any issues I've heard of, hopefully it's just a fluke? Had it been a while since you took the wheel off? Good to check tightness sometimes

The other day that coworker realized ALL his chainring bolts had loosened up, so maybe y'all are just too big for bieks"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    It hadn't been that long, a few months? Switched my rear tire to a 'cross in January-ish, this happened switching back to a slick.

I have chainring bolt issues too, one time I ignored them and my chainring fell off mid-ride. Now mine are being creaky (pretty sure it's them) and i can't get it to stop.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2019

fuck, I love being small, except for that whole "industry only lets me have crap bikes so I have to buy a bunch of customs" thing"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2019

how many friggin bottom brackets are you supposed to go through in the lifetime of a bike? just had the one on my CAAD 10 replaced for a third time/4th bb yesterday because of rapidly escalating creaking/clicking, and it feels like, uh, they should have maybe designed the part better? everything else holds up... (bought the bike very end of 2012, but then went abroad a year and left it behind, and had some very lazy years between then and now too...)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    No idea, I've had very mixed timelines- the bb on my old raleigh beater that I abuse is still solid- bought it used like 10 years ago, but i'm having recurrent issues with my san jose which had the bb replaced about a year ago. My langster's bb was somewhere in between.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Is it press fit? Because that's why

I'm pretty sure I've only replaced a worn bb like once. I did fuck up a sram GXP one time because I suck at bikes and hit the crank too hard trying to install it. I feel like Phil hub bearings don't last long enough for me, though"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

they make bottom brackets for press fit frames that thread into itself internally, that's pretty much the only way you can fix that shitty frame design."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2019

yeah, it is. woo bad standards?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2019 edited

I had my BB30 bearings installed with some kind of lock tight because there was clicking, and they thought the bearings were moving around in the frame, but it turned out that my removable crank spider just needed to be greased up. Most cranks are one-piece, though, so that’s probably not the problem...

I doubt that the bearings themselves are going bad that often, so in theory it could be the way they’re interfacing with the frame, which means you could try gluing them in like they did with mine, unless it’s some other problem like pedals or chainrings making noise.

The threadable BB30/pressfit adapter thing would be cool but can you use it with a BB30 crank, or does it have to be a standard axle? I mean the whole system was kind of a weird but clever idea on the part of Cannondale to get more stiffness by means of a larger bottom bracket shell, but sticking with threads would be much easier. I think Pinarello is the only major high end bike that still has bottom bracket threads these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

once back in nh they were able to just tighten them and it stopped the creaking for, like...2 years until this past saturday! guess next time i'll specifically ask about lock tight-ing it in before they put in another, can't hurt.
    the liquigas-cannondale colors or nice so i'm keepin this frame until it falls to dust =PThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    just noticed my beater's rear wheel is loose, like the hub is a little loose around the axle. how long can i keep riding it before i die?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

ride another bike until you can sort it and not die?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    That's already why I'm riding my beater, but yeah.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

haha put the good bits from one bike with the good bits from the other?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    now we're onto something

i do have a few more bikes to go through though, so we'll see how long it takes me to either fix 'em, make it to a shop, or just break them all and start walkingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

walking's for nerds. frankenbikes forever!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

loose ball or sealed? If sealed (there's usually a flat red plastic bearing thing you can see) then you can ride it for a while without destroying the hub, you just get new cartridges put in. If loose ball you'll wreck the hub quick riding it loose. If you really need to ride it try taking two 17mm or adjustable wrenches and just nudging the lock nuts tight on both sides at the same time. Play should reduce. Don't go crazy and bind up your hub though"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    thanks! I'll give it a closer look tomorrow. At work now (i drove womp womp).DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I didn't have time so I just rode my IndyFab in today. Some days I play fake messenger, today I play fake dentist. I haven't ridden it in at least a year (i suck) and man, I am useless at road-style clipless. Also I almost fell leaving my house in clicky shoes. And coasting is weird.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2019

did a road bike maintenance class a year and a half ago, and i think maybe all the people that had clipless pedals had mtb pedals. spds foreverThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Road bikes with mtb pedals forever!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I think you can ride on bad loose bearings, but it will just make it less and less fixable. No idea what can go wrong with sealed bearings.

a_lion:once back in nh they were able to just tighten them and it stopped the creaking for, like...2 years until this past saturday! guess next time i'll specifically ask about lock tight-ing it in before they put in another, can't hurt.
    the liquigas-cannondale colors or nice so i'm keepin this frame until it falls to dust =P

Yeah, idk what compound it was, I just hope it’s not too binding because I want to actually be able to get them out.
    • CommentAuthorryan t

nerdo:Road bikes with mtb pedals forever!

I think Look makes “cafe cleats”, and Speedplay also makes something with rubber on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

road pedals are sooo nice to use though if you don't have to unclip and walk much. I just got new clippy shoes (both kinds) and put one sided spds on a bike and it's SUCH A DIFFERENCE. Buying a bunch of new pedals now to use them more. A+ would recommend mtb pedals for commuting if you change into work shoes anyway"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

hah all through law school did spds and just wore the mtb shoes all day too
    like that you can spin on your toes in 'em!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2019 edited

I started using ATACs awhile back, but same thing.

ETA: But what's this IF? I like purtie bi-cycles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

yeah get that IF up here asap. What do you think this is, a place you can casually mention IFs without pics? gtfo"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2019

^+1000Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    haha okay but...I'm not sure I have any that aren't totally shitty? Next time it's not rainy (Weds?) I'll try to ride it and take a few.

it's a 1999 Crown Jewel I got off Craigslist (I think I'm the 3rd owner)- maroon, with mostly ultegra. Unfortunately the rear shifting is wonky and it may all need replaced. I came really close to selling it a few years ago.

ETA crappy pic from the new bike day thread
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Sweet. When the Crown Jewel came out I wanted one so bad.

Sorted out gearing is a wonder.