Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2019

NIIIIIIICE get that to a bike shop and get it some attention, that's nice"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    i should say I swapped that awful stem out for a cinelli (had to shim it). the only thing i don't like about it is that as far as i can tell it'll only clear 23s. whyyy.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Phew, wasn't going to say anything, but my first thought is that bike is screaming out for a classy stem.

At some point when I weighed nothing I rode on 21s, I think. Vague memories of when I wasn't in the club of larger gentlemen.
    haha yeah that stem is just terrible

DQ what is your favorite music to listen to when you're riding? I used to go with like, contemporary death/post-metal? Like Mastodon, Envy, Russian Circles, stuff like that. But lately I've pretty much been all about classic metal. Or occasionally vaporwave if I just wanna cruise and be chill.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2019

Damn, I just listen to podcasts because music gets me too amped and I end up riding like a maniac.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Yeah, I don't listen on a bike that much, but for sure when running I do podcasts.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

just ordered a cheapo clip on bluetooth speaker, so maybe i'll have an answer soon?
    GCN did a video on this recently, and the guy rode faster even with chill music than with no music at allThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    nerdo:Damn, I just listen to podcasts because music gets me too amped and I end up riding like a maniac.

Yeah, i have this same problem. I tried to take it easy, but Iron Maiden came on...

I listen to podcasts while walking, but when I try while running I am slow as hell. Punk or speed metal only.

^what speaker did you get? My boombot is on its last legs.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07239JFZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as i said, cheapo, but i did spend a whole like 20 minutes comparing similarly priced ones.
    was gonna get the UE roll, but eh it's 4-5 times as much and maybe this one will at least survive this summer's bike tripThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2019

A long while back I tried getting back into rugby, and the coach recommended that when we go running in our own we listen to something complicated like War and Peace to practice staying focused like in a game. I found Hard Times by Charles Dickens, but didn’t last very long with it.
    ^^nice, cheap doesn't always mean crappy, i got some earbuds for like $7 and they've been working well for years. They don't sound as good but they're fine for running and stuff.

^you played rugby? I played in college, then for MIT for a bunch of years until the second kid came along. I still turn up with my kit and sub in once and a while.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2019

Yeah, I played forward in college, and then briefly for a local club, but wasn’t really feeling it.
    fair enough. i was strictly a prop in college (much heavier then), but i can play anywhere in the tight 5, or loose forward if it's a real emergency.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2019

that speaker arrived after today's ride, but (after half a second of poking at it) seems decent enough. i like that you can save music to it with a miniSD card and get away without connecting to your phone sometimes tooThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2019

more than loud enough for riding alone, that's for dang sureThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    sweet

I was in too much of a rush to bring my IF up from the basement this morning, but here's the sweeeet whip I'm riding, which I bought from Dora when she moved away.

DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2019

that looks so fun and comfy!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    it is both of those things!

and it's hard to tell from the pic, but the basket is huge!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Looks like you could fit a surfeit of pies in that basket.
    all the pies

I've never transported a pie by bicycle. Ice cream cake, yes. Twice, in fact.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2019 edited

Has anyone ever used disc brakes? I was eyeballing a super cheap Supersix with Di2 at a shop, but it has disc brakes. I don’t know about those things because a) I rarely wish I could stop better on my rim brakes, b) I don’t ride in nasty conditions anyway, and c) they look hard to work on. So why would I want them on a road bike?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2019

eh, as long as it's not sram hydraulics it might not be that bad, but almost certainly more of a pain in the ass than regular rim brakes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2019

I think they’re Shimano hydraulics. I guess there are some hills in VT where it’s possible to go down and hit at least 40 mph, so they would probably come in handy for that
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^I've hit nearly 60mph in the White Mountains. Though I was trying. :)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    daaaang

I have mechanical disc brakes on my mtb (that i haven't ridden in >1yr :( :( ). It was kind of a pita to get the pads aligned properly (like the spacing between pads and rotor) but after I got it right, I didn't have any issues. The sweet big-basket surly I'm riding has a hydraulic disc up front, I haven't touched it since I got it like a year and a half ago (?) and it's totally fine, though it seems like the lever-pull distance has increased. I'm not touching that myself though 'cause I have no idea.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    actually I have had that surly for like 4 years where does the time goDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

yeah if it's shimano it shouldn't be too bad, but sram requires bleeding twice a year or the DOT fluid destroys all the seals and you need to buy a whole new system, if it even lasts that long before you have to warranty it. Def have a reputable shop do it because it's a huge pain in the ass if you're not extremely familiar with the process (and tip, because they don't like to work on it either). Also the internal routing on those fancy bikes is a huge pain in the ass and check it for dumb proprietary shit that's going to be impossible to find in a month

tbh, even if it's a good deal, if you're not racing and planning to upgrade from this in a year or two or really into the fancy stuff I'd save it and invest in a custom bike or something that's exactly what you want"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ryan t:I think they’re Shimano hydraulics. I guess there are some hills in VT where it’s possible to go down and hit at least 40 mph, so they would probably come in handy for that

It's quite easy to hit 40mph going downhill in Vermont. So far rim brakes are working out okay for me.
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2019

I’m mostly thinking race on it, and do the gaps like around Mad River Valley in VT, which are pretty steep and curvey. So far I’ve been fine on rim brakes as long as I plan ahead; I mean I’ve gone off the road descending into a tuen because I waited too long. I guess I would test ride it and see if it’s a noticeable improvement.

I have a $400 gift certificate to Tomii, but there’s still a lot more $$ to go in the world of custom...
    ha no time to MS Paint but yesterday riding home I hit a bump and a bungee cord came loose from my basket and got all tangled in the wheel/disc brake. I ended up having to cut the cord to get it out of there, and I cut myself on the disc rotor in the processDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2019

hard womp"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    lolDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2019

duuuude I went on a group ride today and there was a fixie kid with a dished over freewheel wheel (like old school multi-speed freewheel) with a cog threaded on with no lockring, brakeless, threadbare tire, duct tape handlebar shim, slammed saddle, etc. We've talked to this guy about it and tried to help. No luck. He also rides like a dingus

I'm not usually one to judge bikes that hard, but yikes I'm p worried about this"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2019

Also wingnutted on with a QR with the lever broken in half"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Good god, was he trying to combine every bad sweet fixie thing into one bike? That's almost a work of art. I think no foot retention would really complete the look.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Haha! I had a friend who was an older cat2 ex racer who said he used to sometimes train fixed on his road bike by just taking off the freewheel cluster, and putting on a track cog. He said it never unthreaded, either, but he had brakes, and he knew what he was doing. I’m guessing that other roadies did that back in the day too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

whoops thought this was the "ride to" thread. Yeah, p sure no foot retention either

^wtf, how, why, ugh"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Nandy:duuuude I went on a group ride today and there was a fixie kid with a dished over freewheel wheel (like old school multi-speed freewheel) with a cog threaded on with no lockring, brakeless, threadbare tire, duct tape handlebar shim, slammed saddle, etc. We've talked to this guy about it and tried to help. No luck. He also rides like a dingus

I'm not usually one to judge bikes that hard, but yikes I'm p worried about this

Was his name Zev?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^actual work LOLDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ryan t:Haha! I had a friend who was an older cat2 ex racer who said he used to sometimes train fixed on his road bike by just taking off the freewheel cluster, and putting on a track cog. He said it never unthreaded, either, but he had brakes, and he knew what he was doing. I’m guessing that other roadies did that back in the day too!

i bet a lot of them did. i mean really if you have brakes and you know what you're doing (and there aren't a lot of down-hills) it's probably not so bad. I feel like you could just get a winter wheel and swap it out if you put some time into getting the spacing and alignment right.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2019

Now I’m wondering if he took all the drivetrain components off, or just shifted the rear derailleur to line up with the track cog, and left it there...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2019

we had someone bring in a Langster today and pay rush service to have us re-build the rim into a cassette hub to use on it with a bolt-on hanger. Why can't people just buy a sw33t fixie and a road bike, or, like, pick one"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    That's just weird. Years ago I briefly thought about getting a roadie off Craigslist or whatever for a triathlon I had coming up (my first and only), then converting it to fixed after. And my cyclist friends were like, that's the dumbest thing ever, which of course was right.

So I bought my Langster Comp, we jury rigged a rear brake (the bridge isn't drilled) to make it triathlon legal, and I rode it fixed and was like 13th fastest in my age group for the cycling part.

I miss that bike :(DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2019

I guess I'm dumb but I cannot figure out Reddit. Made an account specifically to join a single sub since I couldn't find another forum for it, someone in there "shadow banned" me because accounts with less than 20 karma aren't allowed, meaning everything I do disappears but it doesn't tell me, I just have to waste my time figuring it out on my own by no one interacting with me and then search my name on a site to confirm I've been shadow banned. So this happened a couple months ago, I messaged a mod and they seemed to have un-banned me. I got couple hundred karma points and then they shadow banned me again? I'm not doing anything close to against the rules or causing trouble. Guess I'll take the hint and fuck off, but it's really weird. People seemed friendly enough, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2019

surprisefries:we jerry rigged a rear brake (the bridge isn't drilled)
    ftfy #fuckingjerrysomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    BOTH ARE ACCEPTABLE SEANDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    12 Angry Jerrys
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2019

bostonfixed:Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /nfs/c03/h04/mnt/49019/domains/bostonfixed.us/html/forum/extensions/Signatures/default.php on line 86

DQ: What's this gibberish at the top of every page now?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I don't know, gremlins? I didn't know everyone was seeing it. If it doesn't stop soon I'll email our benevolent overlord, Brandon.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2019

Looks like the installed version of the signature extension got deprecated. Any updates to install?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)