Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2020

bbChicken should be a new bottom bracket standard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2020 edited

if you have an old cell phone with a wifi signal, and constant power, you can use the app ipwebcam and just broadcast on a website. can also link it to streamlabs obs to stream to youtube or twitch etc
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2020

have found the old cell phone, but now the chicks i want are backordered, we're getting ones with a hatch date of 4/14. it's weird to me to know that we own animals that aren't even born yet!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2020

It's weirder to me that live baby chickens can be backordered.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2020 edited

panic buy EVERYTHING! this breed is pretty big, were THE meat chicken in the US for decades, and have a very cool personality... we only have one right now, but this is her with a mouse tail/foot coming out of her mouth.. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gzJjnTaQntaWcTZR6

it's complex, because both tractor supply and family farm and home have chicks of various breeds in store, and a 6 chick minimum in store (mix and match whatever breeds they've got on hand) but they don't know when new chicks are coming until they get a call from the post office that the chicks have arrived, and don't know what kinds they'll get until they open the box, and then if you want to order, it's a minimum 10 per breed, and i really want this breed, so i've ordered them, and someone else i know ordered another breed i want, for his family to have at home, and we'll swap a few...

(it's fair they have minimums even in store - i believe the hope is that if you're willing to buy at least 6, you're not just a fool buying one as an easter thing)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    wow!

also i always forget that chickens are omnivores, like I know they eat bugs but that seems..different than mice

I was seriously thinking about backyard chickens this summer but...maybe next year.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2020

i mean, you can get chicks no problem just walking into TSC now, but i wanted that specific breed... and they will help eat bugs out of your yard! but also maybe eat things you intentionally planted, so be careful with that. they're pretty doable. and then you can come to ohio in the fall for the chicken butchering program i'll offer if the world has opened again...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2020

kossmonaut:if you have an old cell phone with a wifi signal, and constant power, you can use the app ipwebcam and just broadcast on a website. can also link it to streamlabs obs to stream to youtube or twitch etc

finally got my old phone turned on, got the video feed on my screen, did that thing when you turn the camera to the screen so then there's an infinite hallway of screens to fall down into... coool. apparently there's a 24 hour wait after you tell youtube you want to stream stuff, so i'll...no doubt go insane trying to understand further tomorrow!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2020 edited

thats odd, ive never streamed to youtube. if your going to youtube, you can probably ignore the ipwebcam app altogether and just use the youtube app to broadcast from. if you wanted the livestream on a different site you can direct link to the video feed

also, might want to bag the phone to protect from weather/chickens
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2020

You need like 1000 subscribers to stream via the YouTube mobile app. And, yes, there's a 24-hour wait period apparently, even to get a stream key for streaming with OBS (I just went through the same process).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2020

lulz i think the park district has like 8 followers, and i have 0 to play with it at home first

the chicks will be indoors for the first ~2 months, so only gotta worry about their own gross mess, not weather!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i still can't help at work for another ~2 weeks (post surgery restrictions), haven't gone anywhere with other humans other than the supermarket in over a week, and neither has my mom... it's not wildly irresponsible to just drive straight through to nh and spend a week chillin' with her and her cats, right? i wouldn't be frolicking with the public there...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Guessing it’s okay, especially if you don’t know anyone in OH that’s symptomatic. I can’t go home unless I isolate myself from my parents in one part of the house for 2 weeks. Seems like it would be hard to drive all the way without hitting up a rest stop, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

stupid roommate's been going out more than is wise and now has a mild cough, i guess i'm just gonna stay here. be a pretty big bummer to be the reason my mom died or whateverThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    uuughhhhhh roommateDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2020

This New York Times article is apropos of this thread (not the idiot roommate part, however): https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/style/chicken-eggs-coronavirus.html

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2020

my first fall here, someone abandoned a bunch of chickens at our farm. wonder if i have that to 'look forward to' after all these people get bored of their chickens/the supermarkets get back to normal
    one of those chickens was sick, wouldn't huddle with the others, and froze to death its first night, so we never let them in near our chickens, gave them to someone else who wanted them.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2020

Warning: actual fixed gear content.

DQ: Should I buy this useless beauty? I normally ride 58 so it's probably a little too small, alas...

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2020

don't people usually size down for track? Super pretty and a really nice build."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

except for those rims and spokes, but wheels are pretty easy to swap"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

The head tube looks more like the size of my 60cm steel frame, so maybe it’s being measured differently, but who knows. Seems like a good deal, though.
    why is this even a question

dooooo eeeeeetttttDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2020 edited

I love you guys.

Yeah, the headtube makes me think it'd be a nice fit. And agreed about the rim/spokes. I could always rebuild them once I thrash the current rims (inevitable).

I get paid tomorrow. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

EDIT: Now to figure out if I can fit a third bike into my 400 square foot apartment...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

PFFT I have 8 bikes plus a frame in my 400 sq/ft apartment right now. We have one of those delta 2 bike wall racks with a shelf above the bed (does stick out about half the bed width so you kind of have to crawl into the spot) and 4 wheel hooks in a 2x4 hanging on the wall. The 2 touring bikes are just parked on the floor, they'll probably move someday when we make space."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I have a frame in my bedroom on a wall stand that’s pretty high up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2020

we also live in a basement so ceilings aren't super high and the bed is on risers for storage underneath"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2020 edited

whats yalls opinions on the hooks on a pulley to hoist it to the ceiling
    pic
    not my photo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2020

seems fine if you don't mind the set up and have high enough ceilings that it isn't in the way

Are ceiling studs spaced the same as wall studs? idk"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yeah ^that

my dad uses a hook and pulley system in the garage and it seems to be working fine, though not for bikes

I wouldn't take my word on this but i would expect (ceiling/floor) joist spacing to be closer than (wall) stud spacing (especially 24" stud spacing) but it depends on the joist size and material, and expected load.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2020

Open Bicycle had them in the second location. It’s definitely a good option for a high ceiling commercial space, or loft type apartment. I doubt it would be good in a regular house or apt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2020

walls are 16" on center, ceilings can be up to 24"oc depending on roof load but usually 16

floor space is a premium in my apt, and im all out of wall space. my bike always ends up half in the kitchen door frame
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2020

If it’s looking like it will be too low to walk under in your apt, maybe putting a hook in the ceiling would be easier, and just hang it from your rear wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2020

i have this pot with multiple types of succulents, with arms reaching out in every direction, just a real overgrown hot mess... how do i repot (some of) this without breaking most of it all off?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    paging Xue she is a Jedi-level succulent haverDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D