Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

brian, don't worry about it. it's fine.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    ^^^I have a book called 'The History of Hip'...it says that the word "hip" is derived from the Wolof word "hepi" or "hipi" which means "to see" or "to open one's eyes" and that the term came to the US with West African Slaves.I haven't gotten to that part of the poop yet
    I got it at this most hipster bookstore in DC near Georgetown...I haven't gotten to that part of the poop yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009

brian QG:I have a chainline question. My chainring is a few millimeters farther out than my cog and I'm pretty sure that is the source of the creaking noise I hear when I pedal. Any suggestions on how to straighten the chainline? I can't get a new, shorter bottom bracket considering space is almost nonexistent between the crank arm and frame.
    chill 'n dont worry about it. its fine. what is it, 2mm out? spread out over 400-ish mms? (rough guess at your chainstay length). don't sweat it.dongpincher 1000
    anyone know what company (probably from the early 80s) made gear with a scorpion on it?
    i have an old winter biking hat that was my dad's and i've never seen that logo before.
    Castelli?
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodCI_H8081.htmlsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    that's it

like i said, dumb question.
    s'all good, i had no idea who the company was, i just googled "cycling cap scorpion"somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

brian QG:I have a chainline question. My chainring is a few millimeters farther out than my cog and I'm pretty sure that is the source of the creaking noise I hear when I pedal. Any suggestions on how to straighten the chainline? I can't get a new, shorter bottom bracket considering space is almost nonexistent between the crank arm and frame.

if it bothers you, and you have an unsealed bottom bracket, you can flip the bb spindle if the other side is shorter. you can also try putting the chainring on the inside of the crank spider unless it already is.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

Does this mean I can stop wearing my tin foil hat in the house?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

you might be able to move your chainring to the inside of the crank spider arm if it is currently on the outside. This should move it a little bit closer to the center of the bike, and might make it more in line with the cog.
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

fmradio516:

if it bothers you, and you have an unsealed bottom bracket, you can flip the bb spindle if the other side is shorter. you can also try putting the chainring on the inside of the crank spider unless it already is.

How would it stay in place? I have a set of Sugino GLP's on it and there doesn't seem to be a lip on the inside of the spider for it to sit on.

On another note, anybody know anything about Sugino GLP cranks? They came on the bike I bought over the summer and seem quite nice, although I'm been able to find pretty much zero information about them online.
    If I want to build a cheap cross bike, what do? Old road/mtb convert? Which components besides tires are the first to replace for DIRTY MAYHEM?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009

Bicycle Bill's has an old Volpe outside for 200 bucks. It looks like most of the drivetrain parts are shit but it might work as a decent starting point.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    Im going to evanston to visit Northwestern, and will go into chicago. anything i shouldn't miss? bike is not coming with me.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

chicago is great, be sure to check out "to much light makes the baby go blind" (aka: second city), and the navy pier, and the thrift/sex store district, and the miracle mile, and get some wood fired chicago deep dish fucking pizza, best fucking pizza on the planet (don't even try to convince me otherwise)this wont hurt a bit...
    kjelgaard:Bicycle Bill's has an old Volpe outside for 200 bucks. It looks like most of the drivetrain parts are shit but it might work as a decent starting point.

shit like unusable or shit like i'd need to rebuild/clean/slap a new chain on? 200 would be my entire budget, but that seems like a delicious bike.
    just make it ss. get some formulas to cr-18s, or use whatever's on yr fixy. you'll figure it out, but that's probably the easiest option for now.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    i tend to think tires are cheaper when ordered online. are there any sites that consistently offer good road tires at top prices or do people just shop around?
    i'm thinking michelin erilium and serfas seca, any experiences with those?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

stilgar:chicago is great, be sure to check out "to much light makes the baby go blind" (aka: second city), and the navy pier, and the thrift/sex store district, and the miracle mile, and get some wood fired chicago deep dish fucking pizza, best fucking pizza on the planet (don't even try to convince me otherwise)

not to nitpick, but TMLMTBGB is the Neo-Futurists, no? they do a show in ny as well which is often awesome.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

stilgar:chicago is great, be sure to check out "to much light makes the baby go blind" (aka: second city), and the navy pier, and the thrift/sex store district, and the miracle mile, and get some wood fired chicago deep dish fucking pizza, best fucking pizza on the planet (don't even try to convince me otherwise)

Yeah and Nelson Algren and Thomas Geoghegan.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

^^danny I am not totally sure, you might be right...to the google!this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

you are right...I got the two confused, although I believe second city is in chicago as well. but whatever check out too much light it is great.this wont hurt a bit...
    i lost a chainring bolt. well, not just a chainring bolt but also the threaded section the bolt screws into. can i replace that or am i fucked?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

^Replaceable. I bought a new set of 5 bolts and threaded back sections for 7 bucks at BBS 2 weeks ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

where can i purchase mustache wax, i think its time.mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    dr. zachariah's is a local brand, but i can't find it anymore.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    ^^i was pretty happy with the firehouse dark.

you doin' Movember?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited

will a sram x.5 9spd trigger shifter work with my 105 rear derailleur? if not, what trigger shifter will?

edit: probably not. it looks like sram attack might from an ebay auction i just saw.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited

sram "attack" triggers will, i think the x.5 is only compatible with sram x-series deraileurs.
    side note: one of those may be cheaper than a new set of shifters- i could never find those split up, but i never looked very hard.
    also, any 9speed shimano trigger shifter will.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009

Movember ?mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009

I have heard of "No Shave November", and "Mustache March", but what the hell is "Movember"?
    • CommentAuthorgrev

My roommate and I are restoring a fucked old Kent for him to use in Blue Hills, and the tire sizing has me confused. I tried taking the 26" tires off another scrap mountain bike but those are almost an inch too small. The tires that were on the bike originally definitely say 26X1 3/8. So after some research I see that 26" can mean anywhere in the range of like 70mm or 650c depending on context. I'm led to believe that the tires I need are 559mm? I hate old bikes.
    I'm with pete!,

I'm all for no shave november. I'd do this who mustache thing if I didn't look like some sleazy european with one.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

26 1 3/8 is 590mm ish
    26x1 (650c which some idiots call 26x1) is 570mm ish
    26x1 (most MT bikes) is 559mm ish.

And just for fun, if you convert 26 inches to mm: 660.4
    So none of them are actually 26 inches.
    anyone wanna pick me up from logan tomorrow at 12pm?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^I so would be for the work :(this wont hurt a bit...
    I so would be for the work :(

what??YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

boundgear:26 1 3/8 is 590mm ish

Oh Schwinn, confusing us with your Schwinn specific tire sizes, darn you making yours 597mm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

banana truffles:I so would be for the work :(

what??

wow that was totally fucked up, what I mean to say was

I would so be down to pick you up, but I have to work :(

perhaps I was on drugs today...this wont hurt a bit...
    banana truffles:anyone wanna pick me up from logan tomorrow at 12pm?

Would but in class. Sorry ms lady.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

i will pick you up but we would have to take the silver line to the red line to Harvard sq.
    plus i know you hate dirty Latino menmrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    Bach~ez:i will pick you up but we would have to take the silver line to the red line to Harvard sq.
    plus i know you hate dirty Latino men

you know it! VIVA MEXICO!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited

does anyone know where one can pick up a copy of vice magazine?...any place thats not stingray?
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

unit:does anyone know where one can pick up a copy of vice magazine?...any place thats not stingray?

American Apparel usually has it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

unit:does anyone know where one can pick up a copy of vice magazine?...any place thats not stingray?

somewhere between last decade and lame taste, on played out blvd?

fuck vice magazine.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorIV
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited

somewhere between last decade and lame taste, on played out blvd?

hahaha well played

but seriously I think Newbury Comics might have an issue
    grev:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movember

yeah come on, do it do it!

or you could always just give me dollaz, smile smile wink winkDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009 edited

im not really into the mag...they just have an interview with david lynch I wanted to read