Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorIV
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009

So I'm turning 21 in thirteen hours. Suggestions for good bars/21+ places that I should visit with my newfound freedom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

Whereabouts do you live?Fuck yeah.
    charlies?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorunit

kells followed by whitehorse then the joshua tree
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^^i've never, ever been carded at charlie's. this is from someone who still gets carded at 18+ shows
    unit:kells followed by whitehorse then the joshua tree

Those are all awful bars imho.

I'd much prefer Deep Ellum, Sil, or best yet, goto Publick House.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorgrev

^ what he said.not another pitcher!
    • CommentAuthorunit

yeah...sarcasm dosent travel very well over the internet
    unit:yeah...sarcasm dosent travel very well over the internet

You need to remember the /sarcasmclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    the avenue, the silhouette, corrib pub in brookline.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

Razzys in Somerville
    Penguin in Mission Hill
    James Gate in JPFuck yeah.
    actually if you show up at joshua tree not being a huge knuckledragger douchebag, you can do aight with the ladies...

edit: i still don't like the place, but that's a positive, right?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorIV

Right outside of Inman in Somerville, someone's telling me Bukowski's
    • CommentAuthortristan

Bukowskis is a fantastic bar, one which you may visit to expand your tastes and empty your cash-only wallet.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    tristan, why do you enjoy bukowskis?
    im looking for a bar where i can enjoy biers and conversation that doesnt involve yelling.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009 edited

I like the wide variety of beers that they've got - every time I go, I pick a different type and go to town on it. If you go on a 'happening' night, it definitely gets loud, and crowded. However, its wonderfully relaxed on, say, a sunday afternoon. They play decent music, and the bartenders are all friendly and attentive. It can get expensive, and is cash only - I normally boycott cash-only bars... especially when they have a $2 ATM right there - but I enjoy the spot enough to look over those flaws.
    I've also always felt comfortable bringing in my laptop and working over an afternoon beer. I guess the moral of the story is: go early, and be ready to try new beers.

Have you been there? If not, I invite you for an afternoon drink next weekend so you can try it out. If so, I invite you for an afternoon drink next weekend anyhow, because I love it.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

unit:im not really into the mag...they just have an interview with david lynch I wanted to read

yo.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009 edited

conor!:the avenue, the silhouette, corrib pub in brookline.

Fuck the Ave. but yes to the Sil (on a Tuesday) and hell fucking yes to Corrib's.

Going to bars to meet fast women is for losers, drinking cheap beer by your self is for winners!

trizzt:Bukowskis is a fantastic bar, one which you may visit to expand your tastes and empty your cash-only wallet.

Not in agreement with you. The food is so-so, the noise is terrible, and (when it comes to that point of the night) $4 for a glass of PBR is highway robbery.
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

bar snobs! my only requirements are that it is very dark inside and serves alcohol. everything else is about who you're with.
    ^truth.

i like Bukowski's in Boston better than Inman. better vibe i think? i dunno they're overpriced but you can't argue with the selection. the Ave is full of douches and sketchy as hell, usually not worth the $1 drafts.

sorry i'm a loser pete! WAS a loser i mean, shit i'm engaged now.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    does anyone downtown work monday? i'm wondering specifically lasership, but i figure it's the same for everyone.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    yeah, some people are workingYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    shoot, okay. thanks.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorKid
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2009

The Ave has jacked there $1 beers to $2 dollars, nowww I hate it.
    turning an old road bike into something i can use for trails and hit a few questions that i couldn't find an answer to elsewhere on the internetz: hoping to make it into a 1 X 7, and was wondering the best way to do that. can i reuse the old stem shifters without a problem, or is there some limitation to the range of friction shifters? my game plan is: remove front derailer, remove second chainring, replace rusty gears with a 7 speed freewheel and the rear derailer with a cheapo shimano tourney. remove extra lever on the stem shifters. rewire everything and i'm good2go?
    can a wider tire (700x25-28) be put onto a 700x23 rim and still function like a tire should? I would like to put some grippier tires on my bike come winter, but is this possible?
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009

Should be just fine... my rim's recommended widths are 19-28... I've run 42's on it without problem.

That said, skinnier tires with a little bit of tread will do best in the snow. The fat tires tend to sit on top and get pushed around by packed snow more, while thinner tires will cut through the snow for a steadier line. Its the same reason that snow tires for cars are skinnier than normal tires.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

chances are if your running 700x23 tires you are actually running a 700x19 rim.. a 700x19 rim can handle up to 32 maybe slightly larger without a problem.
    How do you bike shop when you're a) a noob, b) extra tiny and c) not rolling in dough? I'm getting the impression that "cheap" and "5'2" don't coincide often enough for me to feel like I'm going to find a good fit. BUT THEN AGAIN I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BIKES!

halp?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    you might want to start by stating what kind you want, like track bike, conversion, single speed, road, cyclocross?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    ^Yes. Yes I might. I don't really know, but something I can get around/to work on, that I can brake with in bad weather, that's lighter and less upright than the 35-year-old Raleigh cruiser I'm riding now.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    and this is where i turn the question over to someone who knows better. although i must say that i enjoy my surly crosscheck alot. but all in all, if i hadnt gotten severe hookups, it would have cost about $1400.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    ha ha, yeah, I'm gonna wait until I have a fucking clue before dropping srs money.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    i would also suggest making sure the bike is not too long for you. mine is the appropriate height, but its a little too long boo.
    btw i saw you yesterday at octoberfest.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009 edited

*in the spirit of full disclosure I work for a shop that sells them*

IMO the KHS Urban Express is one of the best entry level ss/fg bikes around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

5'2 ehhh

I'd tryi bikesdirect.com check out the fixed gear's they are pretty inexpensive, but as for sizing I'm not sure....

I too saw u at ocktoberfest. Hollermrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009 edited

Morgie, that doesn't look like a single speed, you mean the Urbal Soul? or Uno?

Banana truffles: Hey, I thought that might have been you. Nice to have met you!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Urban Soul is definitely a Single Speed.. http://khsbicycles.com/blog/2009/05/26/more-soul-at-khs-with-the-khs-urban-soul/

also the new Fuji's are pretty nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

tinyhonkshus, as far as sizing you're probably looking at around a 48cm, 13", women's small, or unisex XS depending on how the bike is measured and your proportions. it's a little bit harder to find bikes in your size in stock at a bike shop, but they definitely exist. and what matters isn't the standover height but the reach of the bike, as ella pointed out. so many people come into a shop and concern themselves with how much room there is between the top tube and their balls/ladyparts but what actually matters is how stretched out you are to the bars. shop employees can eyeball you and tell you whether it looks appropriate or not ("not" being super-upright on something other than a cruiser [too small] or having your shoulders kinda roached forward [too big - overextended]) but you're not going to know for sure if it fits or not without test-riding the bike, comparing it with other bikes, and figuring out what fits you best.

as far monie$ go, if you're looking in bike shops for something lighter, faster, and with more agressive geometry than a cruiser/comfort hybrid you're going to spend around $500. super-cheap ss/track-style bikes generally have crappy cranks and cheap wheelsets. as a small person you're less likely to break/strip things out but if you can afford it it's generally better to start out with a solid ride with decent parts on it and spending the time/effort to get a bike that feels good, suits your needs, and fits well.

if you're looking at used bikes/craigslist it's probably a good idea to have someone who knows a bit about bikes/sizing with you so you don't end up with a bike that doesn't fit you or overspending on a rolling junk-bucket.
    Thank you, that is very foody for thoughtyi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009

i have a (dumb) question!
    i used to have a bailey works super pro which i could just swing my around if i needed to get to my phone while riding. but a couple months ago i sold that and bought a freight back pack. and im just now realizing that i kinda need a phone holster thing cuz there's no swinging around that thing while riding. i was asking someone about them and they said that none of the holsters on the market are waterproof. is this true?! because if that's the case i'm just gunna make myself one that is waterproof. (which i should do anyway, but you know, lazy and stuff) i don't know shit about phone holsters. anyone know wassup? :)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIV

I don't know if this question is necessarily dumb but I didn't want to start my own thread.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums is into dance music. I'm looking to put together a night of disco, house, funk, indie, electro and anything else that makes you boogie. I want to keep it fresh (which is why I'm thinking a monthly instead of a weekly(and also why I'm trying to shy away from sticking to one genre)) and different from anything that's going on in town right now. If anyone on here is a DJ, promoter, audiophile, music snob or just really likes to cut a rug I'm looking for any help or advice I can get. Thanks in advance.

-Will
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

ratattack:
    as far monie$ go, if you're looking in bike shops for something lighter, faster, and with more agressive geometry than a cruiser/comfort hybrid you're going to spend around $500.

If you can swing this kind of cash, then the iro HD (the extra small) is a really good choice. Solid components, and quality wheels.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

dora:i have a (dumb) question!
    i used to have a bailey works super pro which i could just swing my around if i needed to get to my phone while riding. but a couple months ago i sold that and bought a freight back pack. and im just now realizing that i kinda need a phone holster thing cuz there's no swinging around that thing while riding. i was asking someone about them and they said that none of the holsters on the market are waterproof. is this true?! because if that's the case i'm just gunna make myself one that is waterproof. (which i should do anyway, but you know, lazy and stuff) i don't know shit about phone holsters. anyone know wassup? :)

it's not so much that done of the holsters are made of waterproof material as much as it is that it is hard to design a functioning waterproof holster that still allows the user to hear the phone and easily access it. Check out the chrome holster. I think Chroms balances both as well as anything on the market, other than that you can get something totally waterproof but good luck getting to your phone or hearing it ring.
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

My friend has an old 70's or 80's schwinn road bike with original components. Part of his chain has rusted and needs replacing. Is he looking at a $50+ investment in a new 10-speed chain, or is there something cheaper? From what I can tell, chain prices increase as the number of speeds increases, but I can't imagine it being necessary to have to spend over fifty bones on a new chain for a shitty old road bike. Help/thoughts?
    dora:i have a (dumb) question!
    i used to have a bailey works super pro which i could just swing my around if i needed to get to my phone while riding. but a couple months ago i sold that and bought a freight back pack. and im just now realizing that i kinda need a phone holster thing cuz there's no swinging around that thing while riding. i was asking someone about them and they said that none of the holsters on the market are waterproof. is this true?! because if that's the case i'm just gunna make myself one that is waterproof. (which i should do anyway, but you know, lazy and stuff) i don't know shit about phone holsters. anyone know wassup? :)

whatever holster you can find + sandwich bag = waterproof holster.

old tubes work well to hold phones, too. tie them around the strap, slide the phone in.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    brian QG:My friend has an old 70's or 80's schwinn road bike with original components. Part of his chain has rusted and needs replacing. Is he looking at a $50+ investment in a new 10-speed chain, or is there something cheaper? From what I can tell, chain prices increase as the number of speeds increases, but I can't imagine it being necessary to have to spend over fifty bones on a new chain for a shitty old road bike. Help/thoughts?

When you say 10 speed, I assume you mean 2 rings in front and 5 cogs in back. For a chain, this would be a 5 speed, rather than a 10 speed (which would be higher end road stuff nowadays). 5 speed chains are cheap cheap cheap.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Dumb question follow-up question: Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a Giant Bowery (2009)? They exist in my size.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009

^'Cause aluminum is uncomfortable.