Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009

A few of you know that I'm going to paramedic school. I'm at the tail end of it and I'm doing my ride time with the FDNY medics in various parts of the city[most likely harlem, south bronx and brooklyn. I'm staying in Jersey at a hotel for this time. I have to stay at the hotel each night, I doubt there is going to be much supervision and curfews and shit. I've only been to this area once and that was for less than a day. I'm staying at the Homestead suites in east rutherford, looks like its on rt 3. Anyone have any tips or can give me the low down on public transport/car/bike stuff. Just getting around. I may or may not have a car during this time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited

NJ Transit is pretty convenient, they've got buses and trains thatll get you around pretty well...i used to row on the passaic in east rutherford right off rt. 3. it's not the most friendly area but i guess its like livin in allston or roxbury. bikin can be done, the neighborhoods are mostly grid-like and it isn't too hilly around there, i'd just be careful. and there are a lotta highways, and if you're where i think you are there arent any real ways to avoid the highways other than bikin around giant's stadium to paterson plank road and thatll send ya into passaic, if ya keep goin in that direction you can jump on riverside ave along the passaic and you can find delis and little supermarkets and shit

and i'll rate the areas around ya for safeness/rideability (1bad, 2meh, 3good)

Passaic - 2
    Clifton - 2
    Montclair - 3
    Nutley - 3
    Rutherford - 2
    North Arlington - 1
    Belleville - 2
    Lyndhurst - 1
    Kearny - 1
    Newark - 1 (stay in the city area, away from the neighborhoods)

and regarding cars, doubt it..ya can probably take a cab to a bus stop and the bus to penn station in newark and train it into the city and go from there
    (edit)there's also a fun ferry ride from hoboken into the city haha

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=MainTosomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I'm staying in Jersey, but I'm going into the NYC almost everyday from my medic ride time. I'm told there is a bus that stops by the hotel that goes to penn station. I'm doing a week of day shifts and a week of night shifts. The bike stuff will probably be saved for afternoons, days off, evening when I'm doing day shifts on the ambulances. I plan on doing cheesy touristy stuff for as cheap as a can: liberty state park, battery park, 9-11 site, coney island. I'm open to suggestions since I don't know shit about NYC/Jersey. I was told to go to the Empire State builing, but I don't know the cost.
    I don't know how safe the areas are in NYC, I just don't want to be taking public transport from the south bronx at night back to Jersey and waiting forever for shit. I know the day time the buses/train would run more frequent.
    Again, suggest cheap/free touristy stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

play some polo in the pit!!I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I'm going to try to hit up a weekday game or two. I'm not sure how my sundays are looking there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

Also, M83 will be playing a special ambient set in NYC while I'm there, so I'm going to try to hit that up too.