Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

My girlfriend bought a bike last week, and with our new found mobility she would like to take a ride out to Walden Pond. What's the best and safest way to get out there? Google Maps gives some routes, but I don't know what the streets are like (as far as speed limits, how busy the streets are, etc.), so I'm not sure if I can trust the directions. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009

Safest is probably taking the Minuteman path out to Concord and then there's some back-ish roads that you can take. Paging Fatty....he knows the best way from the trail. A much faster way is Rt 117 to 126. We made the trip out last fall and took the Minuteman out and the major routes back. Minuteman is much slower as if you are going during the day there will be a lot of ped traffic and if it's night, there's no lights. It's worth the trip though. Good luck.Fuck yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

Here's the route some of us took last summer. Overall it worked out pretty well, the road conditions on Rt. 117 weren't great but doable. We took the minuteman bike path up to Lexington and then cut over to Concord. I did this recently midday and the traffic wasn't bad at all.We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley

I really do not enjoy riding there via 2A - there's high speed traffic and major potholes in certain sections. Trapelo Road is a good way to go, it's equally hilly in both directions so it doesn't feel like you're climbing the whole way there and then bombing the whole way back. I've never gone via the Minuteman.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

punctuationsfun and i rode the entire way on trapelo last summer when i first got my bike. he was fine but i felt like i was going to die. ended up walking a lot of the hills.
    • CommentAuthormp050

http://www.crw.org/CueSheets/cues2htm.php?id=275

This route isn't bad from Central
    • CommentAuthormp050

with some adjustments...
    ^^^ aw, thanks.

also, if you're using google maps, don't be real stupid like me and get directs to the OTHER walden pond. it's like the same distance, but is totally not where you want to go.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I did notice the other Walden Pond, but my girlfriend knew where the one we wanted to go to really was.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009

thanks for the MMR route. it worked well to get us up there today. it didn't work so well when we had to pull over because my friend was literally shaking from fear/anger after almost getting doored. TWO TIMES. IN A QUARTER OF A MILE.

Not that that was your fault.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries