Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited

What's the best way to get my bike to Chicago and back with me. I'm traveling tues 8/4 to tues 8/11, flying on airtran. Can i take it apart and throw it in a bike bag, or is the only way to pay 79 bucks each way to check it as a bike, in a box?

suggestions?EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    Read this. Unfortunately, my flight case is lent out currently. But stay tuned, I know a couple talented local kids who are designing some similar flight cases.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009

awesome, i looked into that whole thread. very useful. I'm also looking at renting there, may be cheaper than risking fee's and damage. My family there said they could find me a bike, little do they know how picky i'd be. I'd end up with a mountain bike, but at least it's better than no bike.

Anyone know anyone in chicago with a borrowable beater?EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    Wrap it in two cardboard boxes - one for frame/handlebars, one for wheels/components/tools. Call it a sculpture and you won't be charged.I prefer 49x16
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009

Does the sculpture bit really work?

I've gotta ghetto pack my bike for an upcoming trip (travelling by bicycle to another airport = no bike case) - gonna grab the smallest bike box I can get and pack up. It's worked fine for me before, but I've never been smart enough to say that its a sculpture....ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

It works better if the cardboard box doesn't say bicycle on it. You might be able to tape another layer of cardboard over the bike box.Troglodytarum is latin for troll