Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorrudolph
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009

Just installed my Sugino 75s (to a 75 bb). First time putting on a new pair of cranks. First question: is it normal for one to seem further up the spindle than the other? I'm only talking about maybe 1mm by eye. But since one side (drive) has maybe 2mm visible spindle and the other side has more like 3mm visible (not exactly something I can measure, I'm just guessing) that 1mm looks like a 50% difference and seems funny. Other question: it doesn't really matter now that mine are already on, but I'm curious what kind of torque you've all put yours on with? Failing to find any consistent answers I went with 310 inch pounds, or halfway between the often stated 32-38 Newton meters. My torque wrench has markings at 300 and 325, so I stopped when the needle seemed to consistently be halfway between the two, sometimes shakily tapping at 325, what with my week arm damn near giving out by that point :). Is this too much (considering it will be removed now and then for bb rebuilding), too little?

Sorry if these seem like small/silly curiosities. Scary going from playing with used messengers to new 75s without super mechanical skills. I feel as though I'm going to make a lot of expensive paper weights putting a bike together, hopefully that's just me being paranoid.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

sounds like you were way more precise about it than i was with mine...and mine seem to ride just fine, im sure they are just fine.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

They're ruined.
    Send them to me and I can recycle them.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

torque the shit outta them..
    campa says to torque, ride and then torque again! but only 35 ft. lbs (really?)Take-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorrudolph
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

Do they really suggest that, meanwhile everyone across the internet is saying that's how you ruin them?
    rudolph:Do they really suggest that, meanwhile everyone across the internet is saying that's how you ruin them?

yeah campa also says add grease... so does white industries. shimano says degrease. so take with a grain of saltTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

So does calvin jones, but I think that's bullshit.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthortristan

I'm told that you shouldn't grease tapered BB's, as you can manage to get them *too* tight.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    yeah, there's some folks saying you can overtighten greased spindles and fuck up the tapers. i haven't ever experienced that, though.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorrudolph
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited

Yea, I didn't grease the spindle at all for that reason. That's also why I was wondering how much people on here have torqued them. Since there's no official spec, there must be some amount which is too much, and would send them too far up, especially since they're removed and reinstalled frequently for bottom bracket rebuilding. . so I went with I think an average number. Perhaps a little something on the tapers would be a good idea if you were using a nice sealed bottom bracket and weren't going to remove the cranks for a very long time, but that's not the case here.