Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009

can it be done and is it a good idea? if yes to both, where can i get it done?
    thanks in advance for your 2cents.RIDE METAL
    Not the best idea, but it can be done, is it a one inch fork with a steel steerer?? if not, don't even think about it. I think CB has a thread cutter hanging around. it is usually used for cleaning threads or adding a couple more threads to a threaded fork that doesn't have enough. I would call, or stop in and ask them about it.I am Superb
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

in theory, it can be done. in practice, no one wants to do it.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

it is a one inch steel steerer and i have seen it done before to this exact fork. is it really that big of a pain in the ass?
    maybe its not worth the effort after all, i just have a 1 inch threaded headset that I would like to use/i prefer the look of a quill stem.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

it IS a pain in the ass, but it's more the fact that you're weakening the fork than anything else. it makes it a liability for a bike shop to do it. plus it does take a lot of time. i've added threads to a threaded fork before, it's a lot of "1/2 turn forward, 1/4 turn back" over and over again.
    most shops wont do it or will charge you a shit ton of money due to the fact that it will destroy the blades on a dieTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Quill stems are cludgy bullshit.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

octalink magic:Quill stems are kludgy bullshit.

+1
    go threadless. if you want to spend too much money for something that will be a pain, buy a high-end single-bolt threadless stem (like the nitto ct-80? i think)dongpincher 1000
    I have to say that if you have the option of going threadless or doing a potentially unsafe modification, I'd go threadless.
    However, I totally understand wanting to get something 'just so' even at the expense of utility and safety.
    Shit, it's that spirit which brought us carbon bits for our bikes in the first place!

Perhaps Bikes Not Bombs will help you out.

[:|][all your base are belong to us]