Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

so i have a ti seatpost that is covered in scuffs/minor scratches. supposedly its an easy fix but i cant find much on the internet. the most help ive found is that someone said a pencil eraser works. anyone have any experience?MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited

i read that a guy got his all polished up with 00 steel wool to get it down to a brushed finish then used some Lemon Pledge to get it shining...or just look around on the interwebs for how to polish titaniumsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsnacktime

At Corner Cycle we restickered/rehabed a lot of Merlins and had great success using green scotchbrite. Polished out the scuffs and gives a high luster. Or, hi-lustre.

Use the shoe shine method not the masturbatory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

^ did you guys just use straight scotchbrite or did you use some kind of compound?MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorsnacktime
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Just regular green scotchbrite for many bikes. I think you can get the gray scotchbrite if you want to get a higher shine. And you need elbow grease. But no solvents, etc.

Apparently, this is how Merlin shined up the extralights in their Cambridge days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

you'll need something before scotchbrite to get the scratches out. nylon wheels work well and then 7447 red sb
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

where can 7447 red sb be had? a hardware store?MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorsnacktime
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited

I would see what green does to the scratches before moving to the coarse red.
    Either way the 7448 should brighten everything up to a Campy ti post sheen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

excellent im going to try this tonight or tomorrow. thanks doods.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

just did the deed. worked pretty damn good. got rid of the big noticeable scratches. you can see the microswirls from the scotch brite but its no biggie. thanks yall.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

swirls? usually polished ti is done back and forth like a shoe shine. glad it worked for you.
    • CommentAuthorCole

yo dave, do you have any extra polishing shit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

ive got the scotchbrite pads i can give you.MUFFDVR