Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

At the risk of being ignored I'm starting a new thread for people who are building up vintage/used bikes and want to post their progress, get advice etc. It could just as easily be in the Dumb Questions/New Bike Day thread but I figured this would be more specific.

The impetus? A '63 - '76 yellow Raleigh Sports (will have to check serial number on sheldonbrown later today) that I picked up at Bikes Not Bombs yesterday (will post pics later)...needs a LOT of work...

My question is: How original should I keep it? It has all original components including the Brooks Saddle which has disintegrated beyond use (But there's another in the parts bin at BNB that I'm going to grab). Should I keep the frame and switch everything else out? Should I keep it 3-speed (should prolly post this on the 3-speed club's blog too). Should I build it back with new parts to look like it's original self?

It looks like:

76-sports

If anyone happens to be passing by BNB and wants to take it look at it (whether I'm there or not) please do and help me...it'll be my first time doing this...I haven't gotten to that part of the poop yet
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009 edited

^restore it to its former glory! i think marianna (tinyhonkshus) has that exact bike in silver with a step-through frame if you want to check out how it was set up, and old bike blog has a lot of posts on... well... restoring old bikes. charlotte from chic cyclist is currently working on an old raleigh for her dad, too. love these handsome old 3-speeds.
    Original glory FOR SURE!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorCarter
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009

A buddy of mine brought a similar looking bike ('69 Atala) in to BNB a couple of weeks ago. They converted it to single speed, completely replaced the drivetrain and did a great job on it.

I would definitely keep it old school and classy. Check out velo-orange.com for ideas, they have mostly 3-spd cruiser\randonneur type stuff. I love their Paris-Brest-Paris rims.It's not francois' fault that you weren't looking hard enough.
    it's really just the color, but it also reminds me of a converted Gillott my friend got from BNB recently.

Actually, I'm in a semi-similar bind... I have my wife's late grandfather's old Raleigh ('68 Super Course I think) gathering dust in the dining room. It has a S-A 5 speed on it (not original to the bike) but I'm thinking I may take that off and go over to singlespeed. It has full fenders on it, so theoretically it should be a rain bike... but it looks like it was barely ridden (I don't think it actually fit him, it's my size and by my understanding he was several inches shorter than me) and I'd feel bad messing it up (this coming from me who is content to grind multiple Rossins into the ground).

But in your situation I'd probably stick with the 3 speed if it won't take too much work to get it in fine running order.
    <3 this thread!!!! Now I have a reason for progress pics on the peugeot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009

Keep the rear hub, rebuild the the wheels with alloy rims though. I'd also say put some better brakes on it too, Tektro is finally making a good amount of their brakes nutted so that older frames with out recessed allen holes, like this bike, can benefit from a much more powerful brake. I you would like to keep everything period specific, you could throw some Mafac Racer center pull brakes on it but you'd have to add some bit s to reroute the cables.

The easiest way to find out what year the bicycle is built is to look at the rear hub. If it is a Sturmey Archer it will have a two digit number designating the year. "68" will obviously mean 1968. I personally do not agree with turning any of these older Raleighs into single speeds because the S A hubs are fucking tanks. Yes a number of them have crapped out (many are over 40 years old) but it you have one that works, use it!

When it comes to the notion of restoring a bicycle one has to think of the value of the bike. If it is a collector's item and could fetch over $1,000 in auction then yes, restore it. In this case though I believe making the bike as functional and as safe as possible which is the reason why I'd say to build the hubs to new rims, and get brakes that will actually stop you. And because of these new parts you would be more likely to get more money for this particular bike than if it were restored to it's original state.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009 edited

You make many good points. Actually I'm feeling guilty now, maybe I should take the fairly simple stems necessary to get the SA running correctly before I consider taking it off. How could I mess with the Abba Special? The Hebrew kind, rather than the Swedish.

On the other hand in my case I figure I've got an at least partially 531 bike (originally 10 speed) that's probably a heck of a lot lighter without a 1000 gram Sturmey S5 (1967) with the dual shifters. I managed to snap a small part that's easily enough replaced but I'm not sure how keen I am on dealing with the dual range shifting and its general weight when I might ride the bike more set up as a single speed?

I wish I could figure out the deal with this bike... it seems clear it's a Worksop build, but it doesn't have the same decals as the catalog '68 Super Course (bulgier, I think, has a # of these old catalogs if anyone hasn't seem them, find the classic/vintage Raleigh section). Some other guy online has the same bike and is convinced its a rebadged Carlton (can't remember the model) but I've looked into that and the Carlton has far more elaborate lugwork and generally appears to have a nice finish. Still, the serial # falls in the category of bikes that aren't dateable online but indicate a Worksop build.

PS: I realize you weren't really talking to me outside of falling in the general category of those who are considering sullying their S-A equipped rides when weather is just about to turn wet.