Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoreggman
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009 edited

Hey all, I'm going to NYC for the first time-ish (actual first time didn't really count) this Saturday night and I wanted to know if anything cool is going on or if there are places/areas I should go to. The plan is for me and a pal to go down there and gallivant until Sunday afternoon. So I'm looking for any parties/dance events that may be happening, 24-hour diners to refuel at, cool shops to visit, etc. I don't need a place to crash, but if you live in the city and are hosting any kind of event/chillage I'd love to drop by. Word.

Oh, I also need advice on the best/cheapest/most efficient way to get there. I've heard about lots of different bus companies but I dunno which one I should go with. I won't be transporting anything, so cheap and impromptu is what I'm looking for, especially on the way back because knowing me I'm gonna want to quickly get the fuck home by Sunday morning.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

Hey I'm headed down to nyc this weekend aswell !mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

The Fung Wah bus is cheap ($15 one way) and, from my experience, reliable. It runs every hour between South Station in Boston and Chinatown in NYC. I haven't died yet, so any stories you've heard about bus crashes and unlicensed drivers are mostly rumors. Also, from my experience, avoid the Megabus. Each of the 3 times I've taken it, I've had to spend about 7 hours getting from Boston to NYC because of inexperienced drivers.
    • CommentAuthortristan

on the Fung Wah, "Bike count as luggage!"

As for stuff to do, I'm useless. I usually just barhop, eat pizza, and ride around.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009 edited

Go to Anytime in Brooklyn (near Williamsburg I believe), they have cheap mountains of tater-tots, mounds of macaroni and cheese, and happy hour pbr's are a buck and margaritas are two. Also go to the B-Side in the lower eastside. Also drink beers by the river in DUMBO, there's a store there with vegan sandwiches. Find any alley and drink beers there, ride across the Brooklyn bridge naked, and take Polaroids. And for a really good time pass out on the subway with your bike and see if it disappears when you wake up.

Pretty much stay away from any bar that takes credit cards, drink on the street as much as possible, and try not to get held up by an 11 year old (being drunk actually helps in that event).
    • CommentAuthorbrody bird

i like lucky star better than fung wah and they drop you at basically the same place, but when i'm leaving nyc i just take whatever comes first.

two of my favorite food places: boneshakers for vegan sandwiches in greenpoint and the lodge for brunch in wburg.

two of my favorite bike shops: affinity cycles in wburg and continuum in manhattan.
    chari & co on the LES has some cool stuff, but overpriced in my opinion.

also, wish dannyrocks a happy bday on saturday!
    • CommentAuthormeetball

katz's fucking deli

thanks to dannyrocks. after eating there Mike's Deli in Brookline tastes like ash.
    there is the Brooklyn version of Honk this weekend...http://www.bonknyc.info/I haven't gotten to that part of the poop yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

also, yeah, it's my brithday. come by 2nd chance in wb after like 12am for a beer.
    B-side was cool at one point, it's been douche central for a while.
    go to mars bar (2nd ave and 1st st in the LES) but don't touch anything in the bathroom and make sure you have your tetanus shots.
    (there's also a famously trashy gar bar on the same block)
    i honestly dont' know any fun events happening this weekend other than my turning halfway-to-50. gowanus open studios, vermeer's milkmaid is at the met, moma has ron arad through like monday,
    it's been kinda cold here lately. not really drinking on the street weather. pete's credit card advice is debatable, some decent bars will accept them.

but yeah, coming home go to the corner where the fung wah and lucky star leave from, take whichever is leaving first/less crowded.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

screw fung wah and lucky star, megabus is where its at. double decker bus with wifi and outlets for every seat....tickets as low as $1 each way if you book far enough in advance and travel at weird times. I usually end up paying around $25 round trip. same cost or cheaper than chinatown buses and it drops you near penn station instead of chinatown (which could be good or bad depending on where you are going/what you are doing).RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

megabus=no bike storage, no? plus involves booking in advance, and no alternate bus right around the corner if you miss yours.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

(from megabus.com)

Can I take my bicycle?
    Unfortunately megabus.com buses are unable to carry bicycles.

---

touche

i still like megabus though, i have a bike on the other end so ive never thought to look into their bike policy, bummer.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthorhannaelise

pete! gigantic:Go to Anytime in Brooklyn (near Williamsburg I believe), they have cheap mountains of tater-tots, mounds of macaroni and cheese, and happy hour pbr's are a buck and margaritas are two. Also go to the B-Side in the lower eastside. Also drink beers by the river in DUMBO, there's a store there with vegan sandwiches. Find any alley and drink beers there, ride across the Brooklyn bridge naked, and take Polaroids. And for a really good time pass out on the subway with your bike and see if it disappears when you wake up.

Pretty much stay away from any bar that takes credit cards, drink on the street as much as possible, and try not to get held up by an 11 year old (being drunk actually helps in that event).

Homie, I hate to break the news but Anytimes doesn't exist anymore. For Williamsburg I suggest The Levee, Barcade, or Matchless.
    • CommentAuthorbrody bird

hannaelise:For Williamsburg I suggest The Levee, Barcade, or Matchless.

good calls, but i wouldn't go to any of those on the weekend (although if you're into old school arcade games, then Barcade is worth checking out, good beers on tap too). maybe i'd go to Bushwick Country Club (do a pickle back shot or get a jackncoke slushee) or Wreck Room (fried pickles on the menu and good tunes spinning) on the weekend. but definitely Second Chance for danny's birthday.

if you wanna pay $15 for the best macnchz ever, then go to Dumont.
    also, Life Cafe has cheaper brunch than Lodge and just as good.

I hate the Lodge. It's so over priced! Kasia's is totally the best for cheap brunch in the area. They aren't open on Sundays though.
    Pretty much any and every bar is gonna be packed on the weekend in Williamsburg. Maybe not Maracuja though...it's right next to foodswings and they have an awesome house rum drink for $5.
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009

how would i get my sweet fixy there without hurting the paint?boooyah
    • CommentAuthortristan

Every time I've ridden the fung wah, I've gotten my own special compartment for my SWEET FIXIEascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    hahaha, nyc is the worst place to go if your worried about yer paint.

if i were you, i'd go to second chance saturday night. lord knows i'll be there feeding danny shots, and there will be some rad kids runnin' around in general. there's also bike polo at chrystie 'n broome in chinatown on sunday afternoon.

i have no idea what else is going on this weekend, i'm still recovering from last weekend.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreggman

Well, I'm going with a non-biker so I won't be bringing mine, but my plans are not solid enough to book tix in advance for Mega Bus. I'll definitely stop by Second Chance since it'll be my birthday too. Might as well piggy back. ;) And I'm sold on the Wreck Room if they've got fried pickles. I'll go anywhere with fried pickles. Yummers.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    •  
      CommentAuthor49teeth

Bolt bus is sweet.
    • CommentAuthorChromeLugs
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009

I suggest you don't go to New York.I prefer 49x16
    •  
      CommentAuthorJennyBee
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009

I'm headed to Williamsburg this Fri-Sun. I am meeting up with my cousin Sat, so Friday I am solo. Anything going on? I wouldn't mind going to see live music if anyone has ideas please share.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

Can anyone suggest a good indian or vegan/vegetarian restaurant ?mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!

^Red Bamboo or FoodSwings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

Bach~ez:Can anyone suggest a good indian or vegan/vegetarian restaurant ?

uptown juice bar. ital. 125th street in da 'lem. thank me later.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

^He's right. Uptown Juice Bar is near the corner of 125th and Lenox. It's fucking awesome food. I miss it being my neighborhood food joint. :Sigh: It's times like these I actually miss living in Harlem.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010

What's shaking in town Thursday night?e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoz

friday there is a babes on bike burlesque show i thinkroz-berry-lime
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I'm not that into girls.

Any notable bike shops to check?
    I'm looking more for DI2 and carbon than tricked out track.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthordoug?

Rapha Cycle Club (not really a bike shop) has a couple of the continental bikes and a bunch of Pete Rubi's artwork up. It's a good way to kill half an hour or so, and they have not-terrible coffee as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoz

Affinity cycles is awesome. so is bicycle habit.roz-berry-lime
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010

I'm at the affinia 50
    Come party.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010

nyc velo. on second ave. betwixt 3rd and 4th street. loisaida. i can't remember.

trackstar. i think they're on stanton.

noodles n' dumplings all around there.

mcsorley's and the burp castle if ya like beer.

half king in chelsea if ya like hangin' with pseudo- and hardcore journalists and photogs. i think it's on 22nd or 23rd near the chelsea piers.

and as i said a long time ago. do yourself a favor and go to uptown juice bar on 125th main drag harlem USA for some ital vegan fare. you amy never eat animal products ever again. and tell 'em brunop sent ya. they know me.

and do some laps in central park. not overrated. and the westside bike path. worldclass people watchin' and bike ridin'.

man i miss me some nyc.

have fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsquaretaper
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010 edited

^trackstar closed.

anyone mention the east river bar? odds are you'll find dannyrocks and/or vic and/or a dozen other good folk chilling there on any given afternoon anytime. try the mai tais, bro. it's next door to time's up, which features the coolest vending machine in america, with 2 dollar tubes to boot.strong, light, cheap: pick two
    agreed. go to east river bar.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010

Snap, there was some good stuff happening last night but I missed this thread. You coulda come by the premium rush set and watched a bunch of messengers/etc not working.
    future reference, R&A in the slope is good for crabon bike drooling, but terrible for actual service. Prospect laps are on par with central laps (less climbing, but also fewer people)
    Oh yeah, affinity has their house line of carbon roadies, and house-brand carbon clincher wheels, plus some random crap hanging up.
    You're vegan, right? the owners of trackstar have a vegan coffee shop called boneshakers in north williamsburg/greenpoint, on kingsland by the BQE.
    The Charleston has a cajun place inside called Honeychiles, they do a vegan Po Boy thats actually quite tasty.
    Vinnie's Pizza, a block away on bedford, has delicious vegan specialty slices.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorlemondparty
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010 edited

i like rosemary's greenpoint tavern by the Charleston in williamsberg... 32oz beer for 2 bucks and the juke box has 4 remixes of who let the dogs out one called the barking remix.

i dont think any other song bothers me as much as that and mambo number 5... so i put both on. the old ladies that run the bar dont care about nothin.

oasis has legit falafel... every time i go to nyc i have to eat my weight in falafel's.

barcade sucks and is expensive. the charelston has the same pizza deal as everywhere...my friends legit lived off their pizza because they were broke all the time so they would just bring 12 pizzas home and have a week worth of food.

the leevee has lonestar and a shot of tequila for 5 bucks.

the wreckroom lets ANYTHING go. we were drawing on the wall in the bathroom and the bouncer kicks the dor in and goes what are you doing! then starts laughing. awesome.

i like nyc but i could never live there.
    I think I might hit NYC tomorrow for a secret mission/insane plot/quest/whatever. Anyone wanna come?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010

Thanks for the suggestions.

I hit a bunch of vegan food spots
    Checked out some shops
    Hit some historical/museum/book spots
    Ran into an old industry face at the rapha club and shot the shit for awhile.

It was a good trip.
    I could have squeezed a lot more in had I brought a bike.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010

charleston doesn't have pizza anymore. They have a cajun joint in there now.dongpincher 1000
    oh well cajun food beats shitty pizza.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010

Craig, missed your post earlier but there's some parties tonight if you're here. Hit a brother up.dongpincher 1000
    Nope, and I'm lucky I didn't go. Schedule at work got shimmied around.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

I wouldn't call working instead of partying lucky.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

MungoRocks:I wouldn't call working instead of partying lucky.

quoted for truthWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Going down to the city this weekend: Saturday night and into sunday. Anything good going on?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthordub
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

Am I the only one who bar hops from jazz club to jazz club until 4 in the morning? Cause if anyone else wants to do a weekend of jazz and drinking in the city sometime, we can crash at my parents' ridiculous apartment and live like royalty for a couple days.I have a two part question: 1. Why is he doing that? And 2. Should we light him on fire.
    i dont like jazz. but i like the hippity hop.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    ^^I'd be into that. I really like jazz. . .[all your base are belong to us]
    I'd be down for Jazz hopping, and I'm pretty sure my Jazz would come along too. I'll join the drinking if I can get a fake/fly under the radar

Get it? my girlfriend's name is Jasmine...Jazz...ok bad joke.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt