Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

one of the aspects i've enjoyed the most about going on social rides with people is discovering lots of new, awesome places to chill. i feel like everyone has a list of rad places that you wouldn't necessarily be able to find on a brochure or map, or that can only be experienced at a certain time. now that the six pack shuffle is in hibernation, post your favorite places to bike to in boston (and what to do there, if applicable!)

mine are:
    the musical locks at the new charles river dam, under the zakim past the moving walkways
    castle island after dark, watching planes land over the water
    the oxford street playground in cambridge with the giant polyhedron play structure
    the docks on the esplanade
    behind the ICA at night.
    dammit, I was going to say CASTLE ISLAND!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

While they don't want you biking in the cemetery, the view from atop the tower at Mt. Auburn in Cambridge is quite nice, especially in the fall.We are the small axe.
    Shawmut Ave & Marginal Rd a few blocks south of chinatown...theres an elevated playground/mural area that gets a pretty good view from within the city, it's beautiful at sunset

The prospect hill castle in slummerville on munroe st and the playground right next to it

Obviously spy pond, if i can ever find it on the first 3 tries

Sittin on Union Warf in the north end watchin boats cruise around
    -and while the north end is mentioned i <3 Bova's Bakerysomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

we should devote an entire day and plan out a trip to go to all of these awesome places......... on mushrooms.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorben

The Mapparium. Not free, but totally amazing.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I always liked Larz Anderson Park in B'line... although now that's it's become a bit of a dog-fest and they cut down a lot of the bushes by the line of trees it can be less fun.

On a warm day "The Wilderness" section of Franklin Park is pretty sweet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

mauspad:
    the oxford street playground in cambridge with the giant polyhedron play structure

I've been telling my roommate about this playground for weeks now
    Too bad they fixed the electrified poles at Ringer Playground, that was always a good one for people who hadn't experienced it.
    • CommentAuthorMike Steve

it has big ballsI don't play with muthafuckas cuz this shit be real
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

CSC.

Propect Hill Monument.

Fist's Pants.

The Silly-wet.

Dry docks ave. (the top of those giant silo thingies is awesome)
    CSC of course
    The Seals
    The Musical Locks
    Outlook Park
    South End (loads of pretty streets and gardens and whatnot)
    Acorn Street in Beacon Hill (MARIANNA - I FOUND THE NAME OF THAT BLASTED STREET!)clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

Behind the home bench at celtics games.
    • CommentAuthorbrittle

north point park at the science museum
    the aquarium and also lewis wharf
    top of summit ave
    top of the arboretumdisco visp
    Morgie:

you've climbed those things? was it easy/was there any security?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

my boston fav's:

The neponset river green way
    the musical locks and the park near it
    the docks
    franklin park (and the spooky old bear cages)
    top of the hill at the arboretum
    castle island with friends on the grass
    the view of downtown from east boston
    the seals
    the fountain on the green way at night in the summer when little kids are getting blasted in the face with water
    riding down tremont or st james when the wind is so strong you can hardly go forward (or so fast you can barely stop)
    the north end with a canoli in my hands
    skitching a train up south huntington
    The view from the top of that castle thing in somerville
    skidding down school street in the snow
    IHOP in harvard square any time after 2am and before 4am

I am sure there are more but this is what is on the top of my head.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorgrev

outcold:
    Morgie:

you've climbed those things? was it easy/was there any security?

there is a very spacious staircase.not another pitcher!
    excellenntt i plan on visiting that very soon then :]somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I'm mortified that I can't remember anything I used to do in Boston in my youth.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:I'm mortified that I can't remember anything I used to do in Boston in my youth.

I hear that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

after reading this thread I took a bike ride to northpoint park earlier. It seems very underused and kind of awesome.
    tinyhonkshus:I'm mortified that I can't remember anything I used to do in Boston in my youth.

Eh, I can't remember much of what I did last week.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    -The strip of train tracks between Mass Ave and the BU Bridge.
    -Mt Auburn cemetary
    -CSC
    -The squat my friend use to live in on Mission Hill
    -The Fells
    -Financial District in dead of night when no one is around
    -Warehouses in s.boston
    -any Dunkin DonutsAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorthehum
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited

well this thread is an excellent idea.

why aren't we putting all these places on a big ass google map yet?

I've taken the liberty to start said map and added some of my favorites discovered thanks to all those summer magical midnight rides. It's open for public collaboration, so join in on the fun add yer spots.

if that link isn't working: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
    106857059826600298039.00047652df15bd20a832atheHum
    haha there already kinda is a map full of stuff associated with this forum, its in the maps/places tab at the top to the left of the search tab...but yea most of these places arent on itsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorthehum

well i never noticed that, but that's also pretty awesome.theHum
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

dang. 'nop's got so many deck places. i go all roun' all the time. dang, mausy. what a hard question. but a good un'. let's sticky this mofo. (who the fuck is in charge o' this bitch anyways?). let's put on the ol' thinkin' cap...

well hell, i like christopher's in porter cuz they comped me a beer last night. i'll come up wif all sortsa stuff though. not jus' bars neither. prospect hill on somerville for moon stuff. and planets and all sky stuff. daytime n' night.

belle isle marsh. natch.

fresh pond. and secret stuff there. places that're secret there (whisper me and i may tell ya. or not. hahahahah).

pedalin' da harborwalk.

(i'm like a young michael jackson--you ni***iz is tito--whatevs. play it on out...............................)
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^'nop, i forgot about the harborwalk! i took my boyfriend there after going to the aquarium a few months back and we rode around it slow slow slow. super nice. lounged in grass, smelled roses, stopped in that big glass pavilion and sang some songs. wish we could've gone to the ICA afterwards but we had to hustle back to allston to get ready for a dinner party. remind me to hit you up for date ideas in a few months.
    brunop:fresh pond. and secret stuff there. places that're secret there (whisper me and i may tell ya. or not. hahahahah).

Fresh Pond be my hood. I knows those secrets!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

tiny:Too bad they fixed the electrified poles at Ringer Playground, that was always a good one for people who hadn't experienced it.

electrified poles??? what?

charles river amphitheatre & surrounding park. so rad. you can hang, get drunk, be loud and go for a really nice ride thereMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    Ringer Park (aka Blood Park or Death Bringer) in Allston: there were two concrete filled metal pipes sunk into the ground to keep people from driving into the park, clearly there was a electrical cable making contact because you would get a slight electrocution if you make contact between the two poles.

I know... what could be more fun than mild electrocution?

Anyway, from what I hear it was eventually fixed... but it worked for quite awhile.
    mauspad:
    behind the ICA at night.

hey, do you have to pay to only sit on the bleachers or can you get there for free anytime?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009

i'm pretty sure you can just sit on the bleaches fo' free, but i'm not positive
    Definitely free to go around back anytime.
    ^that's what she saidi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^niceeeeee

^^many thankssomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    There's a building just south of W 4th St and east of Albany St/Rt93 where all the wrecked Boston Police cars end up. It's kinda cool to see. There's a sidewalk you can go on to get close to it

Then there's this little raised boardwalk pier thing by a FedEx building in S Boston that is quiet, on the water, no one's there, and it has a nice view of Boston from a unique perspective. Take Summer St past the convention center, then you'll cross a channel on a sorta long causeway (still Summer St). Once you get on land again, hang a right at the FedEx building and head towards the water. This is the view:

Finally, there's a cool playground on Union Park St and Albany St. I don't think there's a single right angle there, and I had a ton of fun with a friend playing on this thing...I couldn't believe it, I thought they'd removed all fun/danger from playgrounds.I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    ^ These all sound like awesome places!

Can you give us a google map, so we(I) can find our(my) way there? I am no longer capable of understanding verbal directions.
    ^^i've been there before! south boston has some really great views. The only one I think is better than that is the one from the children's museum area.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I wish the city could be convinced to open up Long Island to cyclist traffic one day a year or something... that's an insane view!
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010

When it's a bit warmer out, I can't wait to ride up here, then jump off the rock cliffs into the water
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

^ Please let me know when this happens.Fuck yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

will do! my roommate, his mom and I drove there a couple months ago out of curiosity, but there is no public parking (the place is so small that there's only room for residents) - but our bike machines can take us there! we'll probably drive up to lynn then ride out from there
    •  
      CommentAuthorstingobango
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010 edited

tiny:I wish the city could be convinced to open up Long Island to cyclist traffic one day a year or something... that's an insane view!

Someone I worked with used to bike out there, but he could because he was a nurse at the clinic at one of the DPH programs there. I've heard Donald Trump has tried to buy it to develop it b/c of the views, but that's just heresay as far as I know. Maybe I could get folks out there with my ID haha

Here's a map:

View Cool places in Boston in a larger map

Also, why wait for Nahant?

Just kidding...kind ofI thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

There's actually a place around A st and 4th in SBoston that fixes up and sells those broken down popo cruisers (usually to cabbies).

Not biking related... but my fav cafe in the North End is Cafe Paradiso. I think the Gelato is some of the best in the north end... and the canollis are better than both MIkes and Moderns... believe it.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    • CommentAuthorthehum
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010 edited

6am:
    theHum
    ^ neat
    ^^story?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.