Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009 edited

Somerville bike auction in a few weeks (quote from email):

Hello All -

There were a number of follow-up questions on the bike auction. The
    day/date is Saturday, Nov. 14th. According to the Police Chief, all
    bikes have been checked against reports of stolen bikes.

Here are more details:

The City of Somerville will be auctioning off over 300 bicycles on
    Saturday, November 14th from 11 to 3 p.m. at the Somerville High School
    Atrium located at 81 Highland Avenue in Somerville. All those
    interested may preview the bicycles from 10 - 11 a.m. on November 14th
    at the Somerville High School Atrium.

All sales are final and bikes will be sold "as is" in existing
    condition. The city will accept cash or check. Please make checks
    payable to the "City of Somerville."

Bikes will be sold to those with the highest offer.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009

the somerville police department is the most money grubbing police department in somerville
    the somerville police department is the most money grubbing police department in somerville
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan

On the one hand, this does sound pretty scummy. On the other hand, could be a good chance to get frames and parts for cheap that I can hack up and rebuild later down the road... Am I a bad cyclist if I give the cops money for other people's bikes? =S
    • CommentAuthorChromeLugs

rock death:the somerville police department is the most money grubbing police department in somerville

Cambridge does the same thing. Come to think of it, every city I've ever lived in does the same thing. Not to say that I disagree, but that comment is either redundant or trying to take this thread on a tangent. Either way, CHEAP BIKES!I prefer 49x16
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

look at it this way if they didn't auction them they would probably in a scrap pileEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

ChromeLugs:
    rock death:the somerville police department is the most money grubbing police department in somerville

Cambridge does the same thing. Come to think of it, every city I've ever lived in does the same thing. Not to say that I disagree, but that comment is either redundant or trying to take this thread on a tangent. Either way, CHEAP BIKES!

are you implying there are more money grubbing police departments in somerville, or less?dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

though i have been to a police bike warehouse and it was sweet. i'll be there!
    THAT'S NEAT HOW YOU CAUGHT ON TO THAT. YOU MUST BE SMART.^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeremiah

LawlzIRO-Torro
    Dan Roch:look at it this way if they didn't auction them they would probably in a scrap pile

Yeah i don't really see a problem with this.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    The fact that it's a block from my house makes it all that much more intriguing; ah laziness!
    i already bought everything at the auction at a pre-auction auction and locked it all outside the police station.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009

tiny:The fact that it's a block from my house makes it all that much more intriguing; ah laziness!
    I may have you beaten, it's at the end of my street.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    ah well, I guess I shouldn't bother going...
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009

All you neighborhood somerville folks - Just leave a 58 frame that doesnt suck around for me. pleeease?ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009

Bumping cus its less than a week away. I have no money but I'll prolly go anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorexplohub
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

http://www.somervillema.gov/cos_content/documents/BIKE%20INVENTORY.pdf

Collectors of poorly conditioned "boys" and "girls" Huffys, Pacifics, and Magnas, get ready to blow your wad.exploded hub
    • CommentAuthortristan

Holy crap, seeing that list just convinced me to skip this auction.

Gem:
    "Rallye" - the little-known Rallye bicycle is a close relative to the Walleye fish.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan

Grey Fuji 7 speed. What is a 7 speed bike? like, a 21 speed with only one chain ring? Do they make 7 speed internal hubs?

If this shit is going as cheap as it looks like its worth it might still be worth going to. I can either use em for hacking and welding. If nothing else I bet there are some find candidates for polo bikes there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009 edited

I'll probably go check it out regardless... not like it's much of a hike.

PS: maybe I'll try to go on the early side and will post from there whether it's worth coming out for... which it probably isn't
    • CommentAuthortristan

tiny:I'll probably go check it out regardless... not like it's much of a hike.

PS: maybe I'll try to go on the early side and will post from there whether it's worth coming out for... which it probably isn't

you'd be a hero... it is a bit more of a haul for me (not that its that long either way)ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorLyzard
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

buuurp. my co-worker asked me weeks ago to go with her to look at the bikes.
    then she saw this list posted elsewhere and emailed it to me.

maybe I too will ride over there early to check it out

and then if it's as bad as it sounds at least I'll be up early and ready for a ride!
    Supposed to rain cats n' dogs tomorrah... but I'll try to get my ass out of bed before 11 and get over to the high school... it ain't far so it shouldn't be too difficult.
    • CommentAuthorowen

I'll probably go to the preview thingy to see whats up, considering this is 3 blocks down the street from me
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan

I won't make it... apparently I have to go out in the pouring rain and take water quality samples from like, five different places... should be a fun day...
    Sorry it took me so long to post... as expected it was largely crap, and even among the few decent bikes they had... pretty rough condition.
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009

yeah, I forgot to wake up. Oh well, doesn't sound like I missed much
    • CommentAuthordub
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009

^+1I have a two part question: 1. Why is he doing that? And 2. Should we light him on fire.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009

Yep, that was a waste of my getting up on a saturday. Some of the bikes weren't even fit for sale, having cracked fork blades and whatnot. Plus, none of the very few desirable bikes were big enough for me.

I *was* hot on that one miyata though. That thing was sweet.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Huh... I'm not sure I waded far enough into the throngs to find the Miyata; I've had a long and fruitful relationship with Miyatas.

The Itoh looked like a piece of crap but it's not something one sees every day. Clearly you looked at the bikes far closer than I did... very
    little looked worth investigating further.

That said the Giant roadbike looked halfway decent, too big for my wife though (I was going under the pretense of only looking for her).