Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNo. 11
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009

Once in a while, a bike comes through the shop that really makes us scratch our heads. These are two we had come in recently that I found particularly amusing.

Example A: Sweet Fixie Deathtrap. Dude comes in with a flat on the conversion he just finished himself. Rattlecan Black, cheap wheelset with sweet bright red Cheng Shin tires. No brake, no foot retention. I go to put the thing in the stand and notice the headset is really loose. When I go to check it, it looks like this

photo 2

"That's odd" I think. "Why are these two cups, the pressed and the threaded, the same diameter? And where's the locking washer and the locknut?" So I open thing up and find this

photo 3

There's that Locknut! It's INSIDE the threaded cup, right on top of the bearings and slowly grinding them away to nothingness. I install a new headset, replace a crank arm that was about to fall off, and throw on a brake for the dude's well-being. A few nights later I'm walking down Kirkland and see him cruise by, texting while riding, no helmet, no lights.

Example B: The spoon-post. A girl comes in with Giant Boulder in rough shape. Parked outside, not ridden much, the usual. Everything on this bike is wrapped in electrical tape. She got an On Guard skewer set for the wheels and seat post, but couldn't get the seat post clamp tight enough to keep the saddle in place, it kept sliding down. Clearly, tape alone wouldn't keep it up, so she employed some cutlery from the dining hall and made this

photo

Ingenious solution, but one of the spoons was about the come loose and so she decided it was time to bring it in.

Anyone else have some notable oddities come through their doors? I really like these kinds of bikes, there's always a good story to go along with them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

^that shit is awesome. ive gotta come swing by sometime and say whats up.MUFFDVR
    new favorite thread.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited

not my stories, but my coworkers at back bay.

story #1: dude comes in, is trying to make his suspension fork feel better. he recently put new oil in it, and it just didn't feel right. mechanics check it out and assess that he needs to use a lighter grade fluid in the fork. so they tell him, "you need to use a lighter fluid". he brings it back in saying that something still isn't right, they check out again, and it feels abysmal. when they ask what grade oil he used, his response is, "you told me to use lighter fluid." internet does not convey inflection well, but - he used actual lighter fluid. the combustible kind, rather than a lighter grade fork fluid. his bike really was a pipe bomb.

story #2: someone brought their bike in and said they needed a new chain. they had already removed the old chain. rather than using bolt cutter or a chain breaker, they hacksawed the chainstay and pulled the intact, rusted, stretched chain off that way. response: "no, sir. you need a new bike."

those are my favorite bike shop stories.
    i laugh every time i hear the lighter fluid story.

It's not really a strange or weird story, but i laughed to myself when i heard it in the shop. Someone was coming in to buy a fixed gear for his girlfriend i think. He settled on a Globe Roll and when he noticed the flip flop hub, he asked 'whats the other gear for?' i told him that one side was fixed and the one it was set to was a freewheel. He asked the difference and i told him only to have him reply, 'oh yeah, i used to have a fixed gear, but it was one i could coast on.'

simple misunderstanding, but funny to me, none the less.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

it's even better talking to the classic folding bike people. and by better, i mean it hurts for the moment but it at least gives you something entertaining to talk about later on. it's a scale, recumbents are the bottom feeders but folding bikes are close.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

ratattack:not my stories, but my coworkers at back bay.

story #2: someone brought their bike in and said they needed a new chain. they had already removed the old chain. rather than using bolt cutter or a chain breaker, they hacksawed the chainstay and pulled the intact, rusted, stretched chain off that way. response: "no, sir. you need a new bike."

that one apparently happened when MW was at IBC.

i am usually just amused by people wearing fred perry polo shirts, too much cologne, and gym shorts. but that is just me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

BINGO!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNo. 11

I wish there were more cologne-soaked individuals coming in to our shop. At least then the horrible urine stench of some of their saddles would be masked...
    ^groooooossss'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    i <3 axe.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    No. 11:
    Example A: Sweet Fixie Deathtrap.

If you didn't replace his headset and he crashed, do you think he could sue you had you not also taken pictures and logged the whole thing? maybe he would try, people are crazy. did he give you any guff over fixing that amazing bumblefuck of a headset? i mean, what, that could be $30 right there. I don't have that kind-of dough.
    ratattack: his bike really was a pipe bomb.

+ tofu
    •  
      CommentAuthorNo. 11
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009

^^ He tried to act like he already new everything I was telling him. I said "So, your headset is completely wrong in every way and I need to replace it" and he was all "yeah, totally, right I know". The whole thing ended up costing him around $80 and he didn't bat an eye.
    ^$80 is a good chunk of dough, but when it comes to something that could easily blow up and put your face on the pavement i'd call it a dealDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited

someone brought this in today.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    wha happen?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

A huffy happenedBehind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

Surly pugsly fork on the cheap!!
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010

Did it still roll?ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    I FOUND THIS THREAD YES

so a while ago a guy brings in a Mercier Kilo TT. Straight out of the box. he's all "The headset feels super tight" and indeed it does. there also seems to be a spacer below the crown race. I take it in and put in the work order.

Cut to a few days later. Dan's working on it, and yells for me to come see this...there are two headsets in the bike. two crown races on the fork, two lower cups, two bearings, two top cups, and two top races. I'm sure there are two star nuts in the fork, too.

it was incredible.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011

^ how does that even happen? Like...seriously, how do you get two cups on top of each other? I'm assuming it came from the factory thata way if it was straight out of the box?

Pics perhaps?unstuck in time
    No. 11:Once in a while, a bike comes through the shop that really makes us scratch our heads. These are two we had come in recently that I found particularly amusing.

Example A: Sweet Fixie Deathtrap. Dude comes in with a flat on the conversion he just finished himself. Rattlecan Black, cheap wheelset with sweet bright red Cheng Shin tires. No brake, no foot retention. I go to put the thing in the stand and notice the headset is really loose. When I go to check it, it looks like this

photo 2

"That's odd" I think. "Why are these two cups, the pressed and the threaded, the same diameter? And where's the locking washer and the locknut?" So I open thing up and find this

photo 3

There's that Locknut! It's INSIDE the threaded cup, right on top of the bearings and slowly grinding them away to nothingness. I install a new headset, replace a crank arm that was about to fall off, and throw on a brake for the dude's well-being. A few nights later I'm walking down Kirkland and see him cruise by, texting while riding, no helmet, no lights.

Example B: The spoon-post. A girl comes in with Giant Boulder in rough shape. Parked outside, not ridden much, the usual. Everything on this bike is wrapped in electrical tape. She got an On Guard skewer set for the wheels and seat post, but couldn't get the seat post clamp tight enough to keep the saddle in place, it kept sliding down. Clearly, tape alone wouldn't keep it up, so she employed some cutlery from the dining hall and made this

photo

Ingenious solution, but one of the spoons was about the come loose and so she decided it was time to bring it in.

Anyone else have some notable oddities come through their doors? I really like these kinds of bikes, there's always a good story to go along with them.

um i just bought a 3 speed a few months ago that was set up like thatTake-off everything but your rainboots
    west.:^ how does that even happen? Like...seriously, how do you get two cups on top of each other? I'm assuming it came from the factory thata way if it was straight out of the box?

Pics perhaps?

yep, far as we could tell that was it. I think there's a pic of it at work. Surprisingly, this type of headset cups just kind of stack together like solo cups, so it was almost not noticeable, just looked like a few extra spacers.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorslowski
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011

wow, I never knew about this thread! I wish I had more pictures of life because i've seen some things, man.

oh yeah!

someone asked me to help them "work out the bugs" in their pedal powered tractor once, i would have loved to but i just didn't have the time. i think they upgraded the duck tape toe strap for a joist hanger though so they should be all set.

gnar sauce

remember this peach?

mitIf at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    ^holy shit, i wouldve donated a saddle to that guy.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^^Ha! I used to see that all the time at Norfolk aaand Suffolk I think, when I lived by Central. Even saw it at MIT a few times. Has anyone spotted it lately?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Hockey glove guys is a regular at CB.. saved up money for like 2 years riding that glove to buy a brooks.. he recently painted and put new wheels on the bike.
    I am both happy for him and a little sad.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    oh, this:
    Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

i have many negative things to say about this picture"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Please tell me that's a joke set-up.
    i am so confusedDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    wait, there are 2 brake lines to it?Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011 edited

This guy lives in Quincy, I been seeing him around for years. I think it's 3 or 4 bikes welding into a trike, he does recycling in Quincy.I ride bicycles better than you do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikehost77
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011

I didn't take this one, found online..I ride bicycles better than you do!
    Dude comes in...Santa Cruz in SHIT shape.

"Hey guys, I just wanted a quick tune up...and can you install this chain on it? I got it off a friend of mine, It's brand new."
    "Okay, sure...yadda yadda."

Here's the chain:

Pretty sure that's off a SS bike.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I just unearthed a box of 700d x 2.00 tyres

they came on these:
    Take-off everything but your rainboots
    oh maaaaaaan, gimme that.
    700d? is that like 650 b or somewhere in between?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    it's right between a 26 1 3/8th and a 650bTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Today we assembled America: The Bicycle
    Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    DEM TIRES
    Ted, I had a Razor scooter in my stand today and I wanted to take a picture but the little girl it belonged to wouldn't let me.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Craigglesofdoom: I wanted to take a picture but the little girl it belonged to wouldn't let me.

woah woah woah...you talkin bout dick?ya'll talkin bout downstairs?
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.