Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009 edited

My left sylvan is juuuust seized enough so that it doesn't weight itself correctly anymore. I can't clip in while in motion, and I'm a deformed freak baby with deformed freak hips so it's really hard for me to start off with that side clipped in from a stop. Since it's only one of the pedals I'd be kind of bummed to buy a new pair. Has anyone here had experience with repacking pedals and can speak as to whether it's worth it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009

couldn't you have asked this in the dumb questions thread?mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

If you can easily repack them go for it...but it is probably going to be cheaper to buy a new set if you factor in the cost of your time.this wont hurt a bit...
    I repacked my Candy SL's - easy to do imho and totally worth it. Depends on the pedals and such however.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

ohh and yes you should repack your pedals!mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    takes a long time, often doesn't the fix the problem for very long with cheap pedals (mine), is potentially sort of difficult depending on pedal setup.

that said, DO IT.
    EPIC! Stratton:I repacked my Candy SL's - easy to do atmo and totally worth it. Depends on the pedals and such however.

ftfy.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

punctuationsfun:takes a long time, often doesn't the fix the problem for very long with cheap pedals (mine), is potentially sort of difficult depending on pedal setup.

that said, DO IT.

come back to boston and watch me do it. and whack my bolts. (baby)

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

edit: okay, sorry, but does anyone know of a good online tutorial? I found a few for overhauling SPD pedals, but i'm not that baller.
    conor!:
    EPIC! Stratton:I repacked my Candy SL's - easy to do atmo and totally worth it. Depends on the pedals and such however.

ftfy.

imho = in my honest opinion

how does atmo fix it?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

you might need dis...crazy lookin thingthis wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

atmo fixes all. atmo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

also see here I have copied the relevant parts below.

MKS Sylvan pedals are great, and will last a lifetime with a little care.

1-Remove the dustcap, with the special tool or Channel-lock type pliers with masking tape on the jaws (2 layers). The cap will come off, but they are on pretty tight.

2. You will see a small nut, a washer/spacer, and then the outboard conical bearing race. I have yet to see an MKS Sylvan set of pedals where the pedal axle/spindle was not on too tight from the factory (20+ sets).

3. Support the pedal from the 15mm wrench flat area (where it goes into the cranks), and loosen the small nut at the end of the axle. Back the nut off until it is flush with the end of the axle. Put a nice glop of high pressure, or premium grease on the exposed ball bearings. Rotate the pedal so that the threaded crank interface end is upright, but as you rotate, push the axle (outboard end) back into the pedal (so the bearings don't fall out).

4- You can now access the inboard bearings, so apply your grease. Flip the pedal back over while allowing the axle to reseat on the inboard side.

5- Tighten the outboard conical recess by hand until it just kisses the bearings. Push the washer/spacer back down and tighten the nut, but not 100%, just snug+

6- The pedal should run smooth, without pressure, and with zero slop in any direction. Tighten the nut. 99% chance it will become too tight, and you will feel the ball bearing pressure. Loosen the nut, and back it of 1/10 of a turn or so, try again. The washer/spacer will "drag" the conical race clockwise a tiny bit.

7- After maybe 3 attempts (1 if you are lucky) it will feel perfect. Tighten the nut 100% and check again.

8- Regrease after heavy rains or once or twice a year..........they will last virtually forever.

Great pedals!this wont hurt a bit...
    boundgear:atmo fixes all. atmo.

this guy gets it.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

thanks, shane!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

my google is strong...this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

from bikeforums.net:

MKS Sylvan pedals are great, and will last a lifetime with a little care.

1-Remove the dustcap, with the special tool or Channel-lock type pliers with masking tape on the jaws (2 layers). The cap will come off, but they are on pretty tight.

2. You will see a small nut, a washer/spacer, and then the outboard conical bearing race. I have yet to see an MKS Sylvan set of pedals where the pedal axle/spindle was not on too tight from the factory (20+ sets).

3. Support the pedal from the 15mm wrench flat area (where it goes into the cranks), and loosen the small nut at the end of the axle. Back the nut off until it is flush with the end of the axle. Put a nice glop of high pressure, or premium grease on the exposed ball bearings. Rotate the pedal so that the threaded crank interface end is upright, but as you rotate, push the axle (outboard end) back into the pedal (so the bearings don't fall out).

4- You can now access the inboard bearings, so apply your grease. Flip the pedal back over while allowing the axle to reseat on the inboard side.

5- Tighten the outboard conical recess by hand until it just kisses the bearings. Push the washer/spacer back down and tighten the nut, but not 100%, just snug+

6- The pedal should run smooth, without pressure, and with zero slop in any direction. Tighten the nut. 99% chance it will become too tight, and you will feel the ball bearing pressure. Loosen the nut, and back it of 1/10 of a turn or so, try again. The washer/spacer will "drag" the conical race clockwise a tiny bit.

7- After maybe 3 attempts (1 if you are lucky) it will feel perfect. Tighten the nut 100% and check again.

8- Regrease after heavy rains or once or twice a year..........they will last virtually forever.

Great pedals!

More or less what I just finished doing, they're incredibly smooth now. I can spin them by hand and they'll keep going for several revolutions now where they pretty much stopped right away before I worked on them. I'm very happy with them now, can't possibly understand why they would come so overtightened but they're great now.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

morgie gets second place! shane, make this man a google-fu merit badge!

edit: you guys are the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

stilgar:8- Regrease after heavy rains or once or twice a year..........they will last virtually forever.

This is a thing I have never done, nor do I plan starting to care any time soon. As far as I'm concerned, Sylvans are basically disposable, and get about a 5 year run, give or take.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

I want a zerk fitting on every bicycle component.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

atmo is for people who have never read "politics and the english language"e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

honestly, sylvans are kinda terrible for sneaker riding- this is totally an oppurtunity to get some bmx platforms!

but yeah, fuck it, go ahead and overhaul em.

(side note: said cheapo bmx platforms will probably not be re-packable, and both essentially disposable and non-biodegradeable. but then, aluminum's fucking terrible for the environment too as far as its manufacture is concerned. )dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

mrotown:atmo is for people who have never read "politics and the english language"

Orwell was a blowhard. Language police should move to france.

AtMo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

I am lazy and did not read what else has been posted.

Take you bearings out, put Semichrome on the races, let it sit for a while, clean it, grease it, put the bearings back in, and then you got smooth ass pedals.
    DannyRocks:honestly, sylvans are kinda terrible for sneaker riding- this is totally an oppurtunity to get some bmx platforms!

(side note: said cheapo bmx platforms will probably not be re-packable, and both essentially disposable and non-biodegradeable. but then, aluminum's fucking terrible for the environment too as far as its manufacture is concerned. )

this.

here's a question: bmx pedals or mks grip kings? i know a few people love the mks. at the same time, i'm pretty excited about the way my odyssey twisteds are holding up.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited

conor!:
    DannyRocks:honestly, sylvans are kinda terrible for sneaker riding- this is totally an oppurtunity to get some bmx platforms!

(side note: said cheapo bmx platforms will probably not be re-packable, and both essentially disposable and non-biodegradeable. but then, aluminum's fucking terrible for the environment too as far as its manufacture is concerned. )

here's a question: bmx pedals or mks grip kings? i know a few people love the mks. at the same time, i'm pretty excited about the way my odyssey twisteds are holding up.

considering that "black ops" (a j&b house brand) decided to fill the void created by odyssey's supply problems by creating a knock-off that is cheaper and basically them same the answer is clear: cheaper, comfortable, bmx platforms...
    this.

i was thinking of going metal if i were gonna do it. (remember those beautiful pink platforms at cambridge?)

or is that just not worth it?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

going metal ain't a bad idea.. more expensive, but those pedals are baller status fo sho! i think they might be rebuildable as well.
    iirc, they are.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited

conor!:i was thinking of going metal if i were gonna do it. (remember those beautiful pink platforms at cambridge?)

or is that just not worth it?

If you want to run BMX pedals with clips, it's preferrable to buy the ones with removable pins- then you can take em off on the side with the clips.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    oh, no clips for these. i'm running my odyssey twisted pcs with clips/straps, and it's okay, but it's not something i'm gonna do if i don't have to.

and with this bike, i don't have to.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

I'm loving my stolen nostra pc platforms, if you don't want clips+strapsdongpincher 1000
    i was thinking odyssey trail mix.

but i'm wondering what the improvements matter. sealed = good (does that mean they're also rebuildable?). replaceable pins = good.

the thing with my polycarbonate pedals is wearing down the pins. i've already noticed it on mine.

for about 3x the price, i feel like they're a better investment.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.