Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

This is an interesting article I just came across, and decided I should share:

http://washcycle.typepad.com/home/2008/07/the-myth-of-the.html
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

Pretty interesting. The Idaho law seems to be a reasonable compromise to make.
    I love this article. Jaywalkers piss me off to NO END. Seriously, would you walk if I were a car? NO. I can put you in the hospital JUST AS EASILY.

Side note, one of my favorite things when I'm just biking for leisure is when people Jaywalk or walk when there's no walk sign, I skid and use my front brake to "just barely" not hit them.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I think we all have a responsibility to not be dicks, regardless of the obliviousness of others.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

^^ Why is that necessary/fun?
    Craiginpictures:I love this article. Jaywalkers piss me off to NO END. Seriously, would you walk if I were a car? NO. I can put you in the hospital JUST AS EASILY.

Side note, one of my favorite things when I'm just biking for leisure is when people Jaywalk or walk when there's no walk sign, I skid and use my front brake to "just barely" not hit them.

i'm currently on leave from bfixed, but i'm returning to remind you how fucking stupid you are.

seriously. quit bikes.

as brian asked, why is that at all necessary or fun? tell me how it makes anything better for anyone. i'm dying to know.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorgrev

i like to keep tarck of how many peds i hit. D is for Dead.not another pitcher!
    • CommentAuthormindchalk

Craiginpictures:I love this article. Jaywalkers piss me off to NO END. Seriously, would you walk if I were a car? NO. I can put you in the hospital JUST AS EASILY.

Side note, one of my favorite things when I'm just biking for leisure is when people Jaywalk or walk when there's no walk sign, I skid and use my front brake to "just barely" not hit them.

dicks

lets not be dicks.out of true.
    • CommentAuthorgc

if cyclists handed out more free face punches then there'd be less problems with pedestrians and other interferences.gone
    • CommentAuthorunit
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

^exactly why I always ride with a cocked fist
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^as long as you keep one hand on the brake, mister.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

your potential to cause harm is in direct relation to your responsibility to avoid causing said harm.

in other words, when you "just barely" completely fail to miss someone and hurt them, i'm gonna laugh my ass off, cuz your dumbass deserves the lawsuit you'll get.dongpincher 1000
    why such hostility? if someone walks into the crosswalk when I have a green light, and they get hit, it's no different than if I were in a car. if you throw yourself in front of a cement mixer, your family can't charge the driver with vehicular manslaughter because the cement mixer legitimately couldn't stop in time. similarly, if someone steps out in front of me, I'm not going to slam my front brake launch myself over the handlebars and hurt MYSELF just because mister important couldn't wait for the biker to go by, i'll try and skid so that I don't hit him. if it appears to him that he's in significant danger of being hit, he might stop and look for a biker before jaywalking again.

pedestrians should recall the case of the man who DIED when he stepped into the bike lane and was hit by a biker, simply because he didn't look. I know, he was 84 years old, but still.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I'm pretty sure that in Boston traffic law, the ped's have the upper hand. In general, if you happen to strike or hit a ped, no matter what the circumstance, the driver/rider get's screwed in court.
    Well, so far, I've never had to find out. I was hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down a one-way and was later told that there was probably nothing that could've been done even if I had been injured.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    yeah you may not get charged in criminal court, but watch out for a fuckin' lawsuit where you get NO sympathy from anyone.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    grev:

i like to keep tarck of how many peds i hit. D is for Dead.

what is T for? Traumatized? TOTALLY dead?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited

Craiginpictures:Well, so far, I've never had to find out. I was hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down a one-way and was later told that there was probably nothing that could've been done even if I had been injured.

It doesn't seem like you fully understand what's wrong with trying to scare oblivious/old/slow pedestrians. Just because you haven't accidentally hit them yet doesn't make your actions any less reprehensible. And despite any instances where you might have been wronged in the past, just don't be a dick. Seriously. If you would just consciously try to not act like an idiot, things would be better for everyone.
    • CommentAuthorgrev
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

T is for Terminated. it's a completely different state of mind- quite euphoric actually.not another pitcher!
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

Also, there is a difference between legitimately having to jam on your brakes/skid in order to not hit someone and seeing someone jaywalking and consciously trying to "teach" them a lesson by scaring them.
    • CommentAuthorretirement

• CommentAuthorgemathy

I'm unsure why this debate is continuing (and ignoring the original article). P sure this kid never really does that and was looking for hi5s. call bullshit when you see it.
    Sorry I'm a dick, but whatever. I'm beginning to not at all like this community.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

Is it cause you have the wrong size seatpost?Fuck yeah.
    I gotta say, I don't know why everyone is being such a dick to Craig.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:I gotta say, I don't know why everyone is being such a dick to Craig.

Mr Pictures, Please don't Skid into Pedestrians, Its really not Good for anyone.

The problem is That when you you do that (aside from the obvious) You become another Dickhead Bike Asshole (to the ped and The other folks who see this) Then later the same evening That ped is driving their SUV down Mass Ave and decides That their "Schedule" is more important Then Me (another Dickhead Bike Asshole) And takes me out.

Everybody Jaywalks Some pay more attention then others but We all do it (unless your German, They dont) At one time or another.

No worries
    Craiginpictures:Side note, one of my favorite things when I'm just biking for leisure is when people Jaywalk or walk when there's no walk sign, I skid and use my front brake to "just barely" not hit them.

FYI, under Mass law, that is an "assault." I'll spare you the cites and boring legal definitions, but suffice to say that is a crime. As others have said, crimes can have consequences. Be mindful of your actions.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.

that's true. so why use your bike as a weapon?

what you just described is assault. you are no different from the fucktards in cars who try to teach cyclists lessons.

why such hostility? if someone walks into the crosswalk when I have a green light, and they get hit, it's no different than if I were in a car.

but you have a responsibility to not hit them. people are idiots. stop for them and then bitch them out.

if you throw yourself in front of a cement mixer, your family can't charge the driver with vehicular manslaughter because the cement mixer legitimately couldn't stop in time.

but i'm willing to be the driver tried to stop.

similarly, if someone steps out in front of me, I'm not going to slam my front brake launch myself over the handlebars and hurt MYSELF just because mister important couldn't wait for the biker to go by, i'll try and skid so that I don't hit him.

if you worry about your ability to stop your bicycle, you should not be riding your bicycle. end of story.

if it appears to him that he's in significant danger of being hit, he might stop and look for a biker before jaywalking again.

pedestrians should recall the case of the man who DIED when he stepped into the bike lane and was hit by a biker, simply because he didn't look. I know, he was 84 years old, but still.

your faulty logic is so fucking incredible. you acknowledge that cyclists can injure or kill pedestrians, and yet...

this, marianna, is why i'm such a dick to craig. i had him pegged from the fucking get go.

i probably gave this more attention than it deserved, but... oh well. this here is the reason why i've been so inflammatory, why i don't go on group rides, why i cut back my events. it's because there are so many asshole riders who won't take fucking responsibility.

you ride a bike: you're nothing special.

FIN.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    conor!:you ride a bike: you're nothing special.

**APPLAUSE**All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

ups to conor.

thanks for the article, chris!
    • CommentAuthorben

conor, please cut my hairI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Black Squirrel:
    tinyhonkshus:I gotta say, I don't know why everyone is being such a dick to Craig.

Mr Pictures, Please don't Skid into Pedestrians, Its really not Good for anyone.

The problem is That when you you do that (aside from the obvious) You become another Dickhead Bike Asshole (to the ped and The other folks who see this) Then later the same evening That ped is driving their SUV down Mass Ave and decides That their "Schedule" is more important Then Me (another Dickhead Bike Asshole) And takes me out.

Everybody Jaywalks Some pay more attention then others but We all do it (unless your German, They dont) At one time or another.

No worries

Everyone was being a dick before that posti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited

This:

gemathy:sure this kid never really does that and was looking for hi5s. call bullshit when you see it.

Plus this:
    conor!:you ride a bike: you're nothing special.

And by "you," he means "we all."

It's not a big deal dude. Just come out, be real, and it'll all be forgotten. People here are like people everywhere: they respond well to sincerity and are generally really awesome.

P.S.- Great article, Zomar!We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormindchalk
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

bump (into those jaywalkers)out of true.
    • CommentAuthordub
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited

penis. ftw.

edit: also, fuck this. let's ride.I have a two part question: 1. Why is he doing that? And 2. Should we light him on fire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014

Remember when Craig was a wee one?
    I feel like I've seen a nephew grow up over the past 5 years.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    D:Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    LOL now you work at Urban and its YOUR JOB to tell a bunch of asshole to NOT do this. HOW THE TIDES HAVE TURNED.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    I wish we had a yearbook of then and nows for all of us, even the inactive ones.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014 edited

^That would be so dope. bostonfixed class of '15 yearbook. Pictures from rides and parties over the past 6 years, with pull quotes and selections from the best threads.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^i just spent like 10 minutes finding my first handful of posts ever from 2009. Good stuff. My, how everyone has grown.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    This site is actually a pretty amazing peice of Boston's social/cultural history, when you get deep about it. It would be great source material for a documentary on under ground culture and cycling. Add to that, there are some really, really amazing life stories of the people on here, too.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014

I'd be serious about organizing an effort to put a real book together and make this happen in time for this year's Secret Satan.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^ See my "bumps" in Intro thread.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    joeyfresh:I'd be serious about organizing an effort to put a real book together and make this happen in time for this year's Secret Satan.

I will be taking my heaviest courseload yet this fall, but I could/would participate in some brainstorm sessions leading to specific, reachable goals which I then could/would work toward.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:
    joeyfresh:I'd be serious about organizing an effort to put a real book together and make this happen in time for this year's Secret Satan.

I will be taking my heaviest courseload yet this fall, but I could/would participate in some brainstorm sessions leading to specific, reachable goals which I then could/would work toward.

This is relevant to my interests.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt