Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009

So apparently my rear triangle is 8mm out of line from the accident. Plus my rear wheel is woefully un-tensioned. Are those bad? Can I just deal with the problems? I really hate dealing with these insurance claims, but I don't want to be riding around on something that will potentially kill me. I need the internets help!
    depending on how bad the wheel is, it can probably just get a good trueing and be okay. Take it into a shop, it doesnt cost too much money for that. The rear triangle might be a bit more difficult.
    im always amazed at how even a small scale hit can cause such a problem with a bike. Im glad youre okay!'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

I'm beginning to think that when it comes to things like this, that it is better to be safe than sorry. Serious mechanical failures seems to be a pretty rare thing, but are potentially very scary. I think that it's best to stay on top of maintenance and repairs before things get to the point of failure though.

About 6 months ago, I noticed a bulge in the sidewall of the front tire on my main bike. I kept riding and have put over 1000 miles on it since first noticing the problem. It hasn't blown yet, but just today I was thinking about it and decided to spend the $35 on a replacement. It sucks having to drop cash to replace something that seems to be working fine, but as I heard someone say earlier today, "it's cheaper than a new set of teeth!"
    Insurance companies have lots of monies and a new frame will not be a big deal for them (better than you suing them for shit-tons of damages). Get a bike shop to confirm that your bike is fucked from the accident and compromised and get a new frame, as Zomar said.
    ^this is a good idea.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

8mm on a frame is a lot.... Get a new bike day
    what meph said...file a claim, it's less trouble than you might think (or was for me).Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

agreed with everyone. Any bike shop will give you an insurance claim. Often, on shop letterhead as to provide even more legitimacy. If you were in an accident and you feel even the slightest inclination something should be repaired/replaced, take action on that. It can't do any harm, and can only provide you with all the rights a person in an automobile is granted.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

file claim, talk to a lawyer (bikeattorney.com for serious they are good)

New bike day!this wont hurt a bit...
    You shouldn't even have to talk to a lawyer, esp if you're not gonna sue them. Lawyers of course scare insurance companies but if all you want is a new bike and the insurance company has determined that the accident was someone else's fault then they should be willing up front to pay for a bike. Hell, someone wrecked my bike and the insurance company paid for a replacement immediately because it was for work and I needed it, as well as a few extra thousand for an actual replacement. 2x new bike day and you shouldn't have to pay for legal assistance. unless said assistance is free, I don't think it is necessary to bother with a lawyer unless the insurance company is just being stubborn, in which case just the mention of a lawyer (and aforementioned bike shop backing your claim) will be enough to get said monies. gogogogogo.
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited

Word. I just got back from the shop and have an accident report from them. Thanks for the good suggestions. I'll keep y'all posted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited

Mephlehet:You shouldn't even have to talk to a lawyer, esp if you're not gonna sue them. Lawyers of course scare insurance companies so if all you want is a new bike and the insurance company has determined that the accident was someone else's fault then they should be willing up front to pay for a bike. Hell, someone wrecked my bike and the insurance company paid for a replacement immediately because it was for work and I needed it, as well as a few extra thousand for an actual replacement. 2x new bike day and you shouldn't have to pay for legal assistance. unless said assistance is free, I don't think it is necessary to bother with a lawyer unless the insurance company is just being stubborn, in which case just the mention of a lawyer (and aforementioned bike shop backing your claim) will be enough to get said monies. gogogogogo.

are there pro bono bike lawyers around here? just out of curiosity...i could imagine there's something for messengers.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

^lol.gone
    Nuggetross:are there pro bono bike lawyers around here? just out of curiosity...i could imagine there's something for messengers.

There is. His name is chr|s sedition.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009 edited

Well it's looking like I'll be reimbursed for the frame. In an attempt to count my eggs before they are in the basket, who has recommendations for a reasonably/no so reasonably priced track frame, specifically for street riding? I know I've seen some small threads on this before, but any other opinions? The thing I'm most confused by is frame materials. I understand steel is real, aluminum is lighter/weaker, and crabon makes you actually go faster, but what does this all mean to me?

Also, someone please explain the differences between types of steel. What I know:

1) Hi-ten is cheap
    2) Chromoly sounds cool
    3) Most mid priced frames include are made of 4130 something (which leads me to believe there might not be much difference between the Surly's, Soma's, Pake's, etc.)
    4) Columbus tubing is Italian, rather than from Ohio like I originally though. This sounds nice.

Thanks for the help. I tried googling all of this before I posted, but I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask you people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJack
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009

MassBike has a great resource on their website:

http://www.massbike.org/resourcesnew/what-to-do-if-you-crash/
    @Brian

go see the guys at Open, if you haven't already. They're awesome guys to work with, will give it to you straight up as far as what you need/can afford etc. as far as a versatile city-riding frame, I'm absolutely in love with my Traitor frame, and that's probably what they'll suggest to you as well. They're great frames, not too expensive, and definitely well-built.

as far as 4130 goes, it's your basic all-around chromoly steel...not gonna be too many differences in quality etc between frames, other than thicknesses(durability) and where the frames are built (USA made frames are not necessarily better than Taiwanese frames or Japanese frames).

I wouldn't reccomend carbon frame riding unless you plan on racing it, and ONLY use it for racing. When you consider that a steel frame can bounce off the ground with little more than a ding on the powder coat and a carbon frame can be permanently damaged by hopping a curb (i know someone who broke a carbon stay doing this...it happens), real metals are obviously better.

Aluminum...is a little flimsy, but if you're not being too rough, can be just fine.

like I said, hit up Open. they'll be good to you.

Edit: Since I fail at reading charts on wikipedia, disregard anything I say about chemical composition. (thanks !link)Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    brian QG:...4) Columbus tubing is Italian, rather than from Ohio like I originally though. This sounds nice.

Sig'd.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009

Craiginpictures:

Aluminum...is a little flimsy

Say what?? aluminum is generally regarded as the stiffest bike material on the market...
    • CommentAuthordoug?
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009 edited

Morgie:
    Craiginpictures:

Aluminum...is a little flimsy

Say what?? aluminum is generally regarded as the stiffest bike material on the market...

It is. It's also brittle, and so it cracks very easily. Even small dents and stress fractures can quickly turn into a separated tube. This is why most aluminium race frames have a 'life' of two seasons max.
    exactly what doug said, I knew a girl who had an aluminum Triax frame (shitty frame but still) that had a huuuuge crack in the downtube after a trek from Boston to ATL.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009

wow, it broke just on a trip from boston to atlanta? on a cheap aluminum frame? that metal must be like instant death. i bet it explodes like magnesium.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

One time I was baking and had aluminum foil underneath the cookies and when I went to take the cookies off the aluminum just shredded apart.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorhannaelise

^LOL.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

in aluminum's defense, they make space shuttles out of it so it must be good for something. like riding in space for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

^Sickest skidz ever.Fuck yeah.
    DannyRocks:wow, it broke just on a trip from boston to atlanta? on a cheap aluminum frame? that metal must be like instant death. i bet it explodes like magnesium.

i would expect nothing less from a walmart bike.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorkeepitreal

craig, it's best if you just STFU from now on
    cdrebbel:^Sickest skidz ever.
    Oh hey saturn, how's it going...wonder when I'm gonna stop...

also, i'm just saying aluminum might not be someone's best bet for an everyday use frame. I know the space shuttle, along with innumerable airplanes and such are made with aluminum, but there's a huge craftmanship difference there (probably some materials different too), and a plane or space shuttle rarely falls over and smashes into asphalt or other hard objects, and when they do, they're usually retired.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

a plane or space shuttle rarely falls over and smashes into asphalt or other hard objects

I think that exiting earth's atmosphere is harder on a material than tipping over on comm ave.
    I think it's close, but I'm betting the atmosphere wins.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

Yeah, I'm not really looking at alu/carbon, just thought I'd throw them in there. Any other opinions on steel?
    • CommentAuthormauspad

brian QG:Yeah, I'm not really looking at alu/carbon, just thought I'd throw them in there. Any other opinions on steel?
    no. just go test ride some bikes!
    I'd say it's only second to Titanium...if you get a big settlement (which it looks like you will from your picture), you might consider splurging for one.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited

^his picture is from an accident that wasn't bike-related.
    Oh. alright then.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009

the argument is a little dumb to be having in this thread.. yes aluminum is stiff, and as such it does not bend it simply cracks or fails, the average life of any professionally raced bike is less than 3 seasons (be it CF, steel, etc)...

brittle and flimsy do not mean the same thing. actually if you think about it you'd be hard pressed to make an item that is both.

BRlAN:Yeah, I'm not really looking at alu/carbon, just thought I'd throw them in there. Any other opinions on steel?

stop worrying about material and ride some bikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthordrags
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009

Morgie:
    brittle and flimsy do not mean the same thing. actually if you think about it you'd be hard pressed to make an item that is both.

half cooked spaghetti bike is the new CFcdrebbel: STOP TYPING 'BREAKS' YOU FUCKTARDS. YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY.
    old cf is very half-cooked spaghetti.

full circle, etc.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthormouse
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011 edited

bumping this for relevance to my question, i didnt know what other thread to put this in.

long time no see bff. i havent really keep in touch with this forum since i moved out west, im a jerk. but im reaching out to you guys for any help possible. youve been helpful in the past.

i live in SF now and Friday i was hit pretty bad by a taxi. it was a legal green light from the bike lane and he was driving recklessly (surprise, surprise). the witness in the cab (from what i overheard) said he was going around 35mph. according to the police department out here it takes 10 business days to even SEE the accident report, let alone know what the hell happened.

i was knocked onto hood/windsheild of the car, landed on the ground, wasnt able to move until the ambulance quickly scooped me up and brought me to the hospital. i wasnt able to look around, see the guy who hit me, or even begin to ask what the fuck happened. i still dont even really know.

anyway, like i said, im in the 10 day lull period right now and its completely frustrating. the SFF forums have been such great help, too. but im reaching out to my old boston forum pals for anything else i mightve missed.

so, guys, anybody hit by a cab? dealt with laywers (even though laws may vary from california to mass)? police reports? insurance companies?

also despite how hard i was hit, i somehow escaped all major injuries. minor ones, however, dont even get me started. and no, i wasnt wearing a helmet. and no, the bike wasnt damaged. at all.

hope you guys are riding safe back in boston! thanks in advance!don't take your back or ass off the ground, don't force it, and go real slow.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011

Bachez was hit by a cab last summer. He's rarely on the forum, but try PMing him? His UN is bach~ez. Or message him on Facebook if you know him.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorthejit
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011

i have had a few run ins with cabs. usually if you file a police report, and submit it to the insurance company, your fine. the insurance company usually pays out because its not worth their time or money to fight it. it all depends what you need. ie: medical bills, lost wages, bike.