Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009 edited

Wednesday Night Group Ride.
    Meet at the Christian Science Center (CSC) Fountain at 7pm. This is at the intersection of Huntington Ave & Belvidere St, Boston.

Riding speed is expected to be quick but not super fast. It's not a race!
    Route & Destination(s) will be determined by the participants of the week.

Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=237343271362
    uhmmm..either one would be solid for me once my hand heals up enough
    i've been missing the idea of riding my bike without the whole being trashed concept haha

i guess wednesday would be cool, celebrate hump day maybe?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010

whats the milage?
    im on porter sqmrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    • CommentAuthorthehum
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010 edited

Sweet, I'm in. Midnight Thursdays were great but I just couldn't make them the past few months, and neither could my friends who'd been wanting to go. I was going to try and get an earlier ride going if nobody else was.

Since i'm at BU and know a whole bunch of people at BU who'd be interested, Espresso Royale would still be a great meeting spot for all of us. It's also a good middle-ground between northeastern/cambridge.

8pm would be a better time for me.

I'll have to check my schedule for which day.theHum
    Bach~ez:whats the milage?
    im on porter sq

Ditto on both.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

^^ Mileage would probably vary depending on the desires of the group each week, depending on where we ride or whatever. I was thinking it'd probably be like a good 1.5-2.5 hours riding or so. Maybe 15-30 miles. It's not really my intention to have this be like a serious road ride or whatever, but a fun weekly ride where we can still get our bodies a-movin'.

I think Porter square might be too far north. I think a more central location would be better to attract more people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

wednesday nights at 8 meeting at the CSC used to be the norm, if i'm remembering correctly. seemed to work for most.
    the prudential center worked for secret santa...how about that as a meetup?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^^YES!
    ^Do the round CSC fountain.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    OH that's what CSC is...I was trying to figure that out.

I like that idea! I love riding around there.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorben

I'm down.

But can we makes sure this is an actual ride and not a 'go slow and shoot the shit' or 'ride like idiots all over the fucking road while blowing lights' ride?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    i support the ole weds at 7 (or 8, w/e) from CSCDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthoreggman

I'm down for Tuesday or Thursday nights, except I prefer a go slow, enjoy the surroundings and socialize ride rather than a pissing contest, which an "actual" ride would no doubt turn into. Go to a velodrome if you wanna beat your personal best or whatever. No offense Ben, I just see group rides as an opportunity to socialize and ride recreationally, which can also be done without riding around like idiots.

Also I'm gonna have to be a nit-picky asshole and point out that there is no "South Cambridge." There is only Port and Coast.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    • CommentAuthorben

I'm not looking to race or beat a personal best. But I'm also not looking to putz around at 11mph which so many group rides become. If I wanted to do that I'd ride with my grandmother.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

Yeah so is this gonna be a social ride or a hustle? Cuz its fucking cold outside.mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I'm sure packs would form and it would sort itself out, provided more than 5 people showed up.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorgc

Southern Cambridge gave me a laugh for sure.gone
    southern cambridge, you know...boston.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^no, its not.

make it a fast ride.polo
    • CommentAuthorowen

this would be cool. I miss the thursday night rides (which I guess still happen) but it made me stay out way to late, and then 30 rack happened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

If you look at a map... there is a southern chunk of Cambridge you know :P. The areas I picked were just to try to get a central location based upon where I know most folks on this board live.

I'm gonna propose meeting on Wednesdays at 8pm by the circle fountain at the Christian Science Center (CSC) & Prudential Center in Boston. First ride, this Wednesday 01/06/2010. Rather fast, but no getting yourself off in the peloton. Good?
    ^if my thumb isnt really hurtin me ill try to show

(might wanna change the thread title if youve come to final date/time)somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I won't be back for this week and I think i've got work the next week...but I can make adjustments to my schedule since my work is moving to a set recurring schedule.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

it would be nice if there was a planned route. i dont like the idea of showing up and then everyone being "like where should we go dude". plan the routes and throw them up. also im not gonna stand around in the cold waiting for people very long so be on time like (15 min). having a route would allow people who are running late or on the route to just jump in...... my .02

other then that im stoked!mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

I decided to change the listed time as 7pm. Since the actually ride wont start until a little bit after 7pm anyway, I think this is a better time for early risers. If the listed time was 8... the ride might not start until 8:30.. and I like to be in bed by 10 now with my new work schedule.

Anyways, I'd like to try this tentatively if others can make it:

First ride, this Wednesday at 7pm:

======

Wednesday Night Group Ride.
    Meet at the Christian Science Center (CSC) Fountain at 7pm. This is at the intersection of Huntington Ave & Belvidere St, Boston.

Riding speed is expected to be quick but not super fast. It's not a race!
    Route & Destination(s) will be determined by the participants of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

please let me know if you can make this time =)
    as said, if i can bike stably in a cast ill be there..we shall see hahasomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorben

I'll try to make itI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ben:I'll try to make it
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

Facebook event for first ride: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=396443370093

Facebook Group for the Ride in general: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=237343271362

Please join & invite your friends!!
    haha shit youre goin all out for thissomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    wait...different parts of the internet can be connected?!
    al gore would be so pleased with your progress
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

yes, I'm also taking donations to help raise enough money to air a TV advertisement. let me know if you are interested in donating to my fund. thanks.

•  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2010

7pm is good
    i think you should have a route for the ride beforehand, i hate showing up to a ride and standing around debating a route. also im not gonna stand around waiting in the cold for people i say we roll out at 7:15. thats why having a route that is posted would help people who are running late my .02

but yeah im stoked for wedsmrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    • CommentAuthorbenks!

yay i miss group bike rides. and i have been cooped up inside way too much recently.
    *BUMMED* I will have class till 8 on Wed Evenings. Routes or pickup locations would be nice.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

^^^ If a lot of people want the time changed to 8pm and people who can do 7pm are fine with moving it forward one hour, maybe we could do it at 8pm next week? Figuring out what time works for the most amount of peoples takes a little experimentation, I think.

Maybe we could ride for like an hour, take a short break and have that spot be a "pickup" location for folks who want to join in or take off?
    Is this going to be a ride where we are going to go fast, but at the same time go as slow as the slowest rider?

Or are we going to just keep a good solid pace for however long we are riding?

And either time works for me? I will probably show up.polo
    • CommentAuthorbrittle

^jeremy you don't ride bikes.disco visp
    I will likely show up, and support solid pace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

8pm is so much better than 7pm.
    The best way to deal with pace, IMHO, is have a set route, and a set end destination. From there, break into groups. The people who want to go quicker stick together, and likewise for people who want to socialize. If someone from one group wants to join the other they can just sprint/fall back, because everyone knows the route. Last, everyone still ends up at the same place for hang out time at the end.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorowen

^^but some people have to work in the morning. I'm not claiming to be one of those people, but still...

(actually I will be once break is over)
    My Six Pack Shuffle Ride, started at 8pm. Everyone who rode that, enjoyed it. Some had to work some didn't.polo
    I support 8:00 because I have a late class on Wednesday. I won't be back in Boston for a couple weeks anyways though. WOO
    8 also gives ample time for the consumption of foodz beforehandsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

hmmm... since I already made a Facebook event for this and told people it was at 7pm, I want to keep it at 7pm this week. I'll ask people on the ride what time they'd prefer, see if they could make 7.

8 seems like it might be better for lots of yall. It could definitely work for me too. Maybe next week we'll change it to 8pm.
    • CommentAuthorthehum
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010 edited

outcold:8 also gives ample time for the consumption of foodz beforehand

ha, this was my +1 for 8 reason; BU dining closes at 8.theHum
    thehum:
    outcold:8 also gives ample time for the consumption of foodz beforehand

ha, this was my +1 for 8 reason; BU dining closes at 8.

This.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt