Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Today I ate at boloco and it was AWESOMEE cause I didn't haveta pay for it.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoz
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010

^Im so happy for you craig! I hope you got like 5 burritos and ate them all in one sittingroz-berry-lime
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010 edited

it put Tristan out of commission for several hours. luckily, though, I have spent 20 years training myself to consume tons of sugar without crashing.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010

Today I wrapped a corn dog with bacon and it was everything I hoped it would be.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.

Half scoop sweet cream and elderberry, half scoop brown butter almond brittle.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011 edited

late: that looks amazing marianna. If it didnt have nuts i'd eat like 5 of them. And I like the plate and stuff too.

I made a frittata. (first one)EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011

that frittata looks great! I got a 12 in cask iron for christmas so I've been waiting to make one. I made a leek quiche with it and it was tdf.

I finished off the last of my pig's foot lentil soup last night, so I made a big batch of chicken soup. I love winter only insofar that you can eat soup all day everyday.
    Today I made rosemary, thyme and anise snickerdoodles and they were everything I hoped they'd be.

http://theultimateloaf.tumblr.com/post/2714674678/snickerdoodles-or-something-a-bit-moreNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    cheesecake with a chocolate ganache and a biscoff cookie crust. amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011

I made boxed cinnamon quick bread [cake]. the box says bread, cause its a loaf. but its definitely a cake. yum.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011

^^^Today is the day of rosemary, apparently. I made blood-orange/rosemary french toast this AM and it was delicious (and vegan!)"You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    ^nuh-unh. we ran out of rosemary and had to use herbs de provence instead. it was the right move.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011

Philadelphia Sunday through Tuesday.
    Chow downe-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

yesterday i had homemade blueberry coffee cake for breakfast.

killer thick, crusty whole grain bread grilled cheese with tomatoes and tomato soup with a honey crisp apple and freshly ground honey roasted peanut butter for lunch.

and spinach stuffed shells (the pasta was homemade and i'll never use store-bought shells again) with salad, garlic bread, and garlic sauteed yellow squash for dinner. tasted amazing, especially since i had just finished riding rollers and going for a snow run so i was starving by the time the pasta was baked.

chocolate milkshake with sprinkles and a cherry on top for dessert.

it took some foraging to get food since the power was out at whole foods, but it was totally worth the snow hike to be that well fed. best snow day ever

i had some more of the whole grain bread with peanut butter for breakfast today, and had a tomato, fresh mozzarella, homemade pesto (super garlicky, just how i like it!), and mixed greens sandwich and a grapefruit for lunch today. will probably have some of the butternut curry soup i made the other day over some quinoa for dinner.

i've really been enjoying cooking again, and my belly is going to go into a good food coma.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

^^did you go to the Kingdom of Vegetarians?Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

also i just got paid today after having 20 bucks in my bank account for the last week.

i want some GOOD FOOD, i'm goddamn sick of canned beans and corn bread!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Dora, dried beans are even cheaper than canned beans, and you don't have to worry about having those pesky cans in your recycling. Also, dried beans cook up more delish, and give you a good stock (esp. chickpeas) that you can put into other dishes, making them also taste awesome.

Pro tip: Try to freecycle yourself a little crockpot. Then you can cook them slowly all day while you're at work and have ready-to-go beans when you get home.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Dora, this coming sunday.
    I suppose I'm jumping the gun by posting in the 'just ate' thread.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    Dried chickpeas are a bazillion times better than canned. Fact.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

POLL: Is Pad Thai better fresh or reheated the next day in a fry pan?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorcindierock

fresh ... reheated pan .... reheated microwave ...

in that order (from tastiest to less tasty)
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

you guys are totally right, dried are definitely better than canned and you can make them taste like things. but i just so happened to have a surplus of canned beans. every time i go to my parent's house they load my trunk with beans and pasta sauce and bagels. thank you for the suggestions though!

this is a little off topic but do you have to soak dried beans overnight before you cook em? or can you just cook them? i always soak them but i think they'd soak up more flavor if you cooked them in tasty broth without soaking them

mrowtown - oops! reading comprehension fail on my part

i just stuffed myself with indian food and it was great :DMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

you can do it without soaking, but it takes a LOT longer to cook. why not soak them in tasty broth? although you are supposed to rinse off the water they soaked in and use fresh to cook it.
    • CommentAuthorcindierock

you do not need to soak them if you put them in a crockpot/slow cooker thing... just put in the tasty broth + some water in the crock pot with the dried beans and put it on low forever
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

It is said that some beans have toxins in them that are removed by soaking and that that's why they're traditionally soaked. Because of that, you wouldn't want to drink the soak water/broth. I don't remember which off the top of my head, but I always soak mine, rinse, and cook them in fresh water.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011 edited

phytic acid!

soy beans need fermentation (tempeh) or precipitation (bean curd/tofu) to remove phytic acid, though. apparently it's in there good and doesn't want to come out easily. pretty sure this means that soy milk has a good amount of phytic acid in it.

phytic acid inhibits the uptake of iron, calcium, and other important nutrients.

if you don't soak yer beans and then cook with fresh water but consume the beans with dairy or red meat, it counteracts the negative effects of phytic acid. if you don't eat that stuff, you're supposed to soak and then use fresh water to cook with. vegans take note.

edit: the "whey" that tofu is packed in is what the phytic acid stays in when the "curd" precipitates out. i don't know why you would use it, but, uh. yeah. don't drink that stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

Yeah, best to soak most beans beforehand. You can do a quick soak by bringing the water to a boil and then turning off the heat & letting the beans sit for 30+min, then putting in fresh water or broth for cooking.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

soaking is much preferred, the beans cook much more evenly and the soup/dish will taste fresher and cleaner.
    Where do you guys get your homemade pasta from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011

my kitchen? it's super easy to make, and i always have the ingredients on hand (flour, eggs, salt, olive oil, water).

i made some fresh, thick fettuccine last night with marinara sauce, steamed french green beans with a splash of lemon juice, and tasty garlic bread. filled my hungry belly right up after going running and then skiing.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I don't know for weirdo chemicals, but the best reason to soak beans is simply to get the dirt/dust/etc off. Beyond that, I've heard no compelling, non-pseudoscientific reason for soaking.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

ratattack:my kitchen? it's super easy to make, and i always have the ingredients on hand (flour, eggs, salt, olive oil, water).

i made some fresh, thick fettuccine last night with marinara sauce, steamed french green beans with a splash of lemon juice, and tasty garlic bread. filled my hungry belly right up after going running and then skiing.

but you do need a pasta press, no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

a pasta maker would certainly be easier than going at a wad of dough aggressively with a rolling pin. but not at all necessary. you just roll it as thin as you want/until you get fed up. then you take the sheet of dough, roll it into a log, and slice it up. you end up with something akin to mini cinnamon buns of pasta. then you pretend it's new years eve and the clock just hit midnight, grab the ends of each little roll, and fling them around until they're all undone and in strips. at this point you throw the wad of them into boiling water until it floats. ta-daaa! drain, enjoy.
    made ravioli and salmon tonight. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthortristan

What kind of ravioli? I've been planing/lusting after egg yolk ravioli since Xue described it to me. Her description almost brought me to tears. not even joking.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    not quite that crazy, but gruyere, motzarella, ricotta and chive ravioli.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011

blueberry rice cakes..so good, they taste and smell like trixsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011

Went to Blackbird Pizza in Philadelphia.
    It's in the space that used to be Gianna's.
    Lots of dirty punx working there, but they were friendly and the pies were tasty.
    They had a cornmeal crusted eggplant topping and a vegi meat crumble with fresh sage.
    Way better than my usual trip to Govinda's.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    I just made mexican chocolate cupcakes and cinnamon vanilla buttercream frosting.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011 edited

tryin to lose a few pounds soo..breadless sandwiches!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^fuck dieting. more training.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011

but dude..

so delishsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    touche. now i am hungry.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011 edited

some chicken boob with skin and bone, but under the skin i tucked some tomato and mozzarella cheese strips and spread some garlic and onion powder over em, then pulled the skin back over and toothpicked it tight. i left it in about 10-15mins too long so the skin was pretty crunchy..but nonetheless yummy
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBaous
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011

aww yea pizza yea

most amazing pizza i have ever made. it goes like this: homemade garlic bread crust, fresh garlic, buffalo sauce, mozzerella, gorgonzola, chicken, blue cheese dressing, and oh ya, bacon came to the party.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011

For breakfast: a raw plantain and steak cooked in butter.
    For dinner: just steak cooked in butter.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

for dinner: free ice creamsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^winDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

grape leaves, samosas, pumpkin kibbi, falafel, cape malay stew with tofu, 2 cupcakes, tofu mi siem

Chow Daddye-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    Bringing this back...

Today I Nom'd / Made!

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup!
    Got some bread from clear flour to nom with it.
    Also made chocolate fudge brownies for noming afterwards

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    I nommed this guy: http://www.azestybite.com/2011/08/crack-n-cheese.htmli mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy