Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Not embarrassing that I'm posting twice in a row several months apart. /Liz Lemon

Today I am eating this mofo:
    downsize.jpg

Let me tell you a story about my amazing quiche invention. I got out one of these guys: (the 2 cup variety) and I buttered the interior and crushed up some crackers up and spread them over the bottom. Then I mixed one egg and 1/4 cup milk and a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper together, and I added some thawed frozen spinach and some cheese chunks and some xmas ham chunks and I poured it into the [bakeable pyrex] thingie, and baked it at 350 for like 45 minutes. Then once it cools it's like BAM put the lid on, you have lunch tomorrow. This bodes well for someone like me who often has pig and cheese chunks in the fridge.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011

I baked some bread the other day and had amazing homemade french toast this morning. Then, this evening my gf and I made a mushroom and fresh pea risotto with sautéed shallots and wilted pea shoots on top. All carbed up for mega-drunk!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    that sounds awesome, i love all those things.

Tristan and I are eating cheese and cured meats until "real dinner" comes out of the oven at like 11pm. Wups/nomnomnomi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012

Would."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Would watch forever. Might.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    what is it?

Never mind, don't care, too cute.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    so i just got a rice cooker. no more shitty instant rice for me!

now, how do i make awesome tasting rice?

i tried tonight to make the rice with whole peppercorns and other spices in the water, but that didn't work so well.
    at ariana restuarant (allston) and khyyam restaurant (brookline) they have AWESOME rice dishes with cinnamon and pistachio and cherries and cardamum and all kinds of awesomeness.
    it's more A) the quality of your water, and B) the quality of the rice. I usually filter the water when I make rice, and use Japanese rice.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Instant rice?

You got the memo that making rice the normal way with water and salt and rice isn't that hard, right?

Even I can do it.
    I fuck it up almost every time, so I feel gary's pain. Rice cookers ftw.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    nope. i've NEVER successfully made rice in a pot on a stovetop.
    i'm also suuuuuuuper lazy. i like good food but don't want to spend forever cooking and prepping. rice goes in, water goes in, plug rice cooker in, switch to 'cook', it pops when it's done, another 15mins on 'warming' to get it fluffy. i'm fine with long cook times, but i don't want to be checking and stirring and flipping and dicing and changing things for an hour
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012 edited

Stovetop rice directions- 1:2 dry rice to wet water ratio. Add a tablespoon or two of butter and maybe some other stuff (I like dried basil and garlic powder). Bring to boil, which should happen after a minute or so. Give a quick stir, cover, turn heat to low, set timer, and walk away for 50 minutes.

That's it. I can't tell if you're exaggerating like crazy or you just had stupid directions, but it's that simple.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I also cannot cook rice. It says simmer, but no matter what, either all the water boils off in 10 minutes, or the rice is in a big puddle, raw, an hour later.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012

that can be an issue with the flame having no middle ground. i used to have that problem at my old apartment, couldnt make a stew for the life of me with the flame's limits. but rice...prettty easy to be honest.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    THE COMMODORE:Stovetop rice directions- 1:2 dry rice to wet water ratio. Add a tablespoon or two of butter and maybe some other stuff (I like dried basil and garlic powder). Bring to boil, which should happen after a minute or so. Give a quick stir, cover, turn heat to low, set timer, and walk away for 50 minutes.

That's it. I can't tell if you're exaggerating like crazy or you just had stupid directions, but it's that simple.

50 minutes? Mine's done in 20, and even that's with some burnt and stuck to the bottom of the pan, at almost as low as the flame goes. I fucking hate this subject because I've literally googled for hours on a good, fool-proof method, but something is always fucked up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012 edited

20-25. basically it's stir every 4 minutes until the last 10 when you stir ever 2-3, and then it's done when there's not water at the bottom and it's not visibly wet. this is for about 2 cups of white, sticky rice though..somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    seanile mick:that can be an issue with the flame having no middle ground...

I really think this is the crux of the issue, I love gas ranges but some are a pain in the ass this way.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I got a rice cooker for free from Craigslist. Best thing ever.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

josh_truant:50 minutes? ...

It depends on the rice you're using. I use the Lundenberg Farms stuff that still has the husk on it, so it's 50 mins. I love the stuff- it never really gets sticky or turns to mush. It's not cheap, but I can't recommend it enough.

Also, try cooking with chicken or veggie stock instead of water for more flavor and nutrition.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^i like that rice a lot, too. brown rice takes way longer than white rice in general... i usually go 3-1 water to rice and just drain off whatever water it doesn't take in. rice cookers are fantastic and i ate more rice when i had one to use regularly, but i just roll with the stove top way. i also have an electric range and don't care for gas ranges.
    ted, are you serious? the person who ONLY cooks with cast iron also ONLY cooks with an electric range? wtf?"here comes jon to the barry-ers!" "he stopped! he's grabbing a beer!" "he's still stopped, he's got another one!" "all he's doing is chugging beer!" "now he's not on the course anymore..."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012 edited

I cook with cast iron on an electric range, but not out of choice. You can, however, grow accustomed to whatever cooking situation you have. Especially if you don't need any subtlety in your temperature range.

Also, I'm guessing since cast iron pans release heat very slowly, you don't benefit as much from the instant cool capabilities of a gas range. Therefore, as long as you don't mind waiting the extra minute to come to temperature, cooking with electric coils isn't dramatically different than cooking over a flame.

EDIT: I found this on Chowhound:

Some dude on Chowhound...cast iron -- generally -- is like an ocean liner that gains speed slowly, garners great momentum, then turns with a wide radius. When there is a source of HEAT under a cast iron pot or pan, it does not make a lot of difference whether the source is an electric resistive burner or a gas flame: the momentum is the same. The underside of the pot is heated, and it takes a while for the heat to be conducted through the thickness of the pot to the inside where the food is. But, overall, cast iron will work just as well on an electric resistive burner as on gas -- so long as you take overshoot into account just as you had to do with gas. That is, when heating up the pot, you turn the burner down before you get all the way to the desired temperature, because, like an ocean liner turning slowly, you have to prepare in advance.

When the source of energy is not heat but induction -- which operates on an electrical circuit, but transfers the energy to the pot in the form of magnetism rather than in the form of heat, the mechanics change a bit. The inside of a cast iron pot starts to heat up at the same time as the outside; the slowness of cast iron as a conductor of heat is not a factor in that case. If you have the option of substituting an (electric) induction cooking surface for a resistive electric heat cooking surface, you will discover that cast iron can be more responsive on electric -- if the electric is induction -- than it is on gas.
    Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    that's cool. i didn't know that.

the description of cast iron in the first sentence sounds like a description of my riding style though haha"here comes jon to the barry-ers!" "he stopped! he's grabbing a beer!" "he's still stopped, he's got another one!" "all he's doing is chugging beer!" "now he's not on the course anymore..."
    yup! took a little practice but i'll never go back.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012

Has anybody cooked with those magnetic induction ranges? I nearly took an illegal loft space here in Albany with no kitchen and thought I could survive with one or two of these and my toaster oven...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    THE COMMODORE:Stovetop rice directions- 1:2 dry rice to wet water ratio. Add a tablespoon or two of butter and maybe some other stuff (I like dried basil and garlic powder). Bring to boil, which should happen after a minute or so. Give a quick stir, cover, turn heat to low, set timer, and walk away for 50 minutes.

That's it. I can't tell if you're exaggerating like crazy or you just had stupid directions, but it's that simple.

Funny... I do roughly 1:3 ratio, for about 30-40 minutes. But I also parboil, or something, maybe I don't know what that means, but I keep the heat up and lid on the whole time. Also, I only do brown rice.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Parboil means to partially boil. So you're not parboiling. You're just boiling.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    "Dur Craig and Marianna, rice is so simple to cook"
    "Oh by the way, there are ELEVENTY-BILLION variables"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

It's honestly not that difficult if you understand what's happening. You're basically rehydrating the grain with hot liquid (water, stock, coconut milk, etc.). How much liquid depends on the kind of rice you're using and how moist you want the finished product to be. From there on, it's just basic cooking: too much heat with not enough liquid means you'll burn the bottom; not enough liquid means you'll end up with crunchy grains, etc.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    this is less about my inability to be a real adult and cook rice the normal way
    and more about hey fuck yes rice cookers are awesome, now how do i make suuuuper tasty rice!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Here are two recipes to get you going:

Indian Basmati Rice
    Thai Coconut Rice

Just ignore the cooking instructions, or adapt to your rice cooker (like, when you get to the simmer part, just throw it in the rice cooker instead).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

relevant
    "Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012

^Love that show!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012

i loveee to cook.
    blue cheese-stuffed chicken with fried potatoes and garlic broccoli.

if any of you fuckers come down to visit me ill be hooking you up with some fancy foods like this and better.
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    made my own bagels today for the first time! they're fuckin delicious. made some POGS (pepper/onion/garlic/salt) bagels and some cinnamon sugar bagels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

i miss pogs.. :(somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

i miss mick reilly.. :("Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorObo

damn ted, sounds awesome... i'm like *this* close to making me some bagels, but I can't find barley malt syrup (which my recipe calls for) ANYWHERE?! HALP!!I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012

8oz, foot-long hot dog from The Weiner's Circle..accompanied by a pulled pork sandwich.

somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    THERE IS A PLACE CALLED THE WIENER'S CIRCLE? I AM WEARING ONE OF MY HOT DOG SHIRTS RIGHT NOW!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    mick, that's a good combo right there!
    ughh I want that.

Also, yesterday I made Ravioli.
    With Smoked Mozzarella, Goat cheese, and currants. It was amazing, unfortunately I didn't have time to photograph it.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Fuck you Sean, I'm hungry. Good thing I have bourbon.

But now I want to go to the Lower Depths and fuck up some hot dogs.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Sunday I made farfalle with arugula an a creme fresh/lemon sauce and some corn on the cob (I had a serious hankering for starches)
    Tuesday I made mushroom risotto and some wine marinated steak tips
    Tonight I'm working through some more leftovers
    Tomorrow.... FISH!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Also

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    hot dog flavored potato chips.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

That has to be the saddest vegan snack ever conceived."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

MY FAVORITE THING EVER
    had it for dinner last night
    having it for lunch today
    SO GOOD!!!!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

TIL that I can just see a block of text on BFG and know it was written by Dora."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

i r so predictablesMust be awful, being so fluffy.