Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

brown sugar + cayenne pepper. marianna made candied bacon once in college like that. yumm
    CUTE OVERLOAD EXTREME CLOSEUP

ftfyi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Mike, we need to Iron Chef a brunch some time.
    Somebody pick an ingredient. Let's do this.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorgc

i tried to make falafel yesterday. did not go well.gone
    • CommentAuthorben

CAIT POST PIZZA PICSI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010 edited

OKAY HERE
    Hosted by imgur.com
    Hosted by imgur.com
    Hosted by imgur.comBehind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    • CommentAuthorbrittle

why is there no cheese.
    thats not pizza.disco visp
    • CommentAuthormeetball

that clearly has cheese
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley

brittle:why is there no cheese.
    thats not pizza.

there is no cheese for the veganz.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    So I hope everyone knows what The Biscuit is, because it is AWESOME. It's like you go from Inman Square up Hampshire street to where Hampshire becomes beacon and it intersects with Washington.

anyway I had breakfast there this morning. Chocolate Brioche. Nom.

also, french toast with Francense bread.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorhannaelise

Painkillers, IV fluid, popsicles, and mashed potatoes. mmmmm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

eat a vegan.MUFFDVR
    it feels like your dick is being ripped off?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010

today's breakfast: 3 Odwalla Bars. 1 Odwalla Juice.

thank you, Trash.
    • CommentAuthormeetball

looks like I got veganowned
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^^Okay, I like some of you all a lot, and some of you happen to dumpster dive on the regular. And my stomach turns a little at that. I can't help it. But I feel like I'm missing something- like I don't have the best idea of what's up with it. Will you explain? I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on the what and why. Both your philosophies behind it and what exactly you do. I don't see you guys in person enough to have asked, but it's been on my mind for a while.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorgrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010 edited

^ it's free and it's exactly the same food you buy in the store.

edit:

breakfast:
    ikea cinnamon bun
    mush: black beans, corn, peas, hummus, muenster
    peanut butter & hummus sandwich (ty conor)
    narragansett tall boynot another pitcher!
    • CommentAuthormauspad

i have issues with food waste.
    • CommentAuthorben

There are quite a few reasons that perfectly good food may be thrown out, and if you know (or can ascertain) those reasons then you can be pretty confident it's still edible. The two main reasons that come to mind are:

Expiration dates -- these are always a fair amount of time before the food will actually spoil under normal conditions. Manufacturers are afraid of lawsuits and therefore build in a buffer. But stores of course won't sell expired food. So the cereal that 'went bad' three days ago, or the salad dressing that expired yesterday are still safe to eat even though the retailer chucks them in the trash.

"Daily freshness" -- For certain places, 'freshness' is their business. Dunkin Donuts, bagel shops, etc. all survive by serving fresh items every day. But they also survive by doing it quickly. Since your boston cream donut isn't made to order, there's no way of telling just how many of a given item they'll sell on a particular day. Some times they sell out, but they always over make at least a few items. At the end of the day those things get chucked out back along with the empty coffee cups because 'no one wants to buy old donuts' and they are often legally restricted from donating them. The Dunkin Donuts near my college would put the bagels and donuts in a bag all by themselves before putting them in the dumpster, and the bagel shop left them in a bag outside their front door for a local pig farmer who used the bagels as food.

Things that can really expire and rot (meat, eggs, produce) are a bit more touchy, and definitely require more nerves and 'checking out'.

And as someone else said, it's hard to argue with free food and less waste.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Yeah, I'm totally down with free food and less waste. I just wasn't sure the extent.
    I assumed it wasn't half eaten sandwiches out of bins on Boylston St., but wasn't totally sure what you look for and (understanding that everyone is different) whether it was because you were broke or because you were motivated by a larger ideal of curbing waste and slightly bucking the system.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

Every night businesses throw out stuff. The more corporate the business, the more they tend to throw out. Stuff gets thrown out for any or no reason. 99% of the food that gets thrown out from a food store is because of one of these reasons: the food is at or near its "sell by date" (this is no indication of food safety/spoilage) the packaging has any kind of damage, the company ordered too much of a product accidentally, the company is clearing its shelves to make room for new products, produce is 1 day old or has any kind of blemish, bread is 1 day old.

I do it because its free, and get an instane amount of food and variety which I would never/couldn't pay for. Literally, you go to a dumpster and leave with hundreds of dollars worth of food. I pay zero dollars for food, except for when I treat myself to restaurants or whatever. I would rather not give my money to corporations as much as possible. It is fun to do, and saves perfectly good food from going to landfills. It allows me to feed myself and friends and say "yes, you can eat whatever you want when you come to my house."

Dumpster Diving is NOT gross or unhealthy. As long as you don't do something idiotic and eat something that is obviously spoiled, you won't get sick. There is more pus and shit in the milk and meat people buy than anything unhealthy on the vegetables you dumpster and wash (people dumpster meat and cheese and stuff too, but I don't eat that for various reasons). Most stuff is packaged anyway, or even better, the food is in packaging which are then in trash bags.

How it works: store employees walk around before the business closes and throw stuff into bags that is going to be trashed, then they place the trash bags in it the dumpster. All of the food, 99% of which is still perfectly fine, conveniently freezes or is chilled (during the colder motnhs), and you go open the dumpster and take the trash bags or pick through the dumpster and take stuff of your choosing. During the warmer months, you have to be a little more selective, and maybe go a little sooner after closing (because stuff will spoil quicker sitting out in the heat), but you'll still be amazed by your findings.

You can dumpster anywhere, find the good places. You can find just about anything in the trash, not just food. Lots of big stores have "compactors," you can't really get into these, but you can get into regular dumpsters. In order to keep healthy dumpsters healthy and providing, follow these tips: "don't be loud when dumpster diving, be as silent as possible," "don't rip open bags or leave a mess, leave the dumpster as you found it... just with less trash"
    • CommentAuthorgrev

bagel/bread shops, grocery stores, pharmacies.

bread stuff is always good for about a week, grocery stores throw out all sorts of stuff throughout the course of a day, and pharmacies are like, "we got a new shipment in, THROW OUT ALL OF THE CANDY!".not another pitcher!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

Walgreens has the funniest stuff in their dumpster. mostly junk, but its always a hoot.

Some gems:

-1000 water balloons
    -a billion candies
    -condoms
    -slip and slide
    -crutches
    -space heater
    -a headlight
    -tons of hannah montana stuff
    -giant boxes of tampons

The best thing ever found in a Panera dumpster:

-a live and pissed off possum.

seriously... Panera sucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

Zomar:today's breakfast: 3 Odwalla Bars. 1 Odwalla Juice.

thank you, Trash and people who go get it and bring it home
    Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    Zomar:
    The best thing ever found in a Panera dumpster:

-a live and pissed off possum.

seriously... Panera sucks.

Yeah..... Possums are kinda not friendly.

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

dora:
    Zomar:today's breakfast: 3 Odwalla Bars. 1 Odwalla Juice.

thank you, Trash and people who go get it and bring it home

Thanks, Dora!
    • CommentAuthormauspad

condoms are on my list of dumpster no-nos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

^^ haha yeah. I'm pretty sure they just threw them out because the package was opened. I counted and all of the condoms were in there. It was still kinda sketchy though. There was no point in really taking them anyway because anyone can get unlimited free condoms at health centers. buying condoms is for nubs (edit: or for people who like fancy ones like ribbed-mega bump and stuff).
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

^^you're welcome ;)
    alex and i went
    i'm smart and decided i wanted to go dumpstering on the coldest night in a while. but it was worth it!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^^ Or for people who are too large for the regulars. Don't be so, um, cocky. Not sure if you noticed, but that's all they give out for free, and it feels like your dick is being ripped off if they don't fit. I've always wondered about how many poor kids get permanently turned off from condoms because their first time with one their boner got killed by strangulation.

Thanks for the feedback guys!We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorben

Condom strangulation is the worst. Trojans in particular seem to run small. (which strikes me as odd for some reason?)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

anyway.

made that chili again, with beef instead of bison. deliciousness.
    has been a signifigant portion of my meals, of late. i need to start dumpstering, but rawbasic ingredients tend to get thrown out less and i like cooking!dongpincher 1000
    grev:^ it's free and it's exactly the same food you buy in the store.

edit:

breakfast:
    ikea cinnamon bun
    mush: black beans, corn, peas, hummus, muenster
    peanut butter & hummus sandwich (ty conor)
    narragansett tall boy

i did not give you permission to eat the ikea cinnamon rolls.
    also, youre a fatty.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

Does anyone here have experience going into hotels and eating free continental breakfasts? Please describe.
    go in, eat breakfast, leave.
    or bring tupperwear in, fill it, and leave before anyone can ask you about it.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

Once I was in a restaurant hotel with some family and we got charged for eating from the breakfast buffett. This isn't normal right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^^^Easy. I'm slightly embarrassed at it, but yeah. I never do it anymore because the food is never that good and I'm not that broke. Quality I can afford > cheap shit for free.

But the bottom line, as always, is acting like you belong there. It's all a confidence game.
    Oh, and being nice to the gatekeepers. Always be extra nice to the lowest paid guy out front.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Zomar:Once I was in a restaurant with some family and we got charged for eating from the breakfast buffett. This isn't normal right?

In a restaurant? yeah thats normal. it's not like the mints or the bread at the table. the buffet, like a salad bar, is generally an extra charge.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

DannyRocks:...

anyway.

haaaa

mocha odwalla bars are really yummy
    so is goya adobo, on everything. especially toasted bread with hummus. dipped in lentil soup i made. yummm :)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

^^whoops my bad, I meant to say "hotel," not "restaurant"

^i think mocha odwallas are wicked gross. probably because i hate coffee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

joeyfresh:^^Okay, I like some of you all a lot, and some of you happen to dumpster dive on the regular. And my stomach turns a little at that. I can't help it. But I feel like I'm missing something- like I don't have the best idea of what's up with it. Will you explain? I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on the what and why. Both your philosophies behind it and what exactly you do. I don't see you guys in person enough to have asked, but it's been on my mind for a while.

I more of less ate nothing but dumpster food for an entire year, and if anything got healthier. (a little bacteria here and there helps make you strong) never got food poisoned, ate like a king, and would do it again if I could find some decent dumpsters near my house (CURSE YOU TRASH COMPACTORS!)

Zomar:Does anyone here have experience going into hotels and eating free continental breakfasts? Please describe.

When I got sick of dumpster food i would do this. It helps if you wear sweat pants and a t-shirt. For the final touch put your shoes in your backpack and wear your socks in, or wear flip flops. Eat till you can't hold anymore, put a bunch in your back, fill your water bottle with OJ and walk back to the elevator, go up a floor, then walk down the stairs. Never been asked anything by anyone. Always got a good meal.this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorgrev

killersim:i did not give you permission to eat the ikea cinnamon rolls.
    also, youre a fatty.

i only ate half of one. or a quarter. i don't know what they consider a full bun/roll.
    i am skinny i need food.not another pitcher!
    grev:
    killersim:i did not give you permission to eat the ikea cinnamon rolls.
    also, youre a fatty.

i only ate half of one. or a quarter. i don't know what they consider a full bun/roll.
    i am skinny i need food.

He is pretty much skin and bones. I think you should be feeding him more Alex. I mean look at him! Beer would probably be good to. In fact, I think you should feed and beer me too while you're at it. I'm pretty skinny too. Anyone else I'm forgetting? Alex is providing the booze and the noms.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    two is too many mouths to feed. Ill cook one of you and let the other eat. Eric, youd probably be better eats then mike, sorry.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

KILLERSIM HAS NO POSSE NOW.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthoreclip5e

Breakfast:
    * Bacon & Scallion omlette at Friendly Toast
    * 3 sausage links

Lunch
    * General Tso's chicken
    * Pork fried rice

Snack
    * Pork rinds

Dinner
    All at Casa Portugal
    * Brazillian BBQ marinated beef
    * Brazillian BBQ smoked pork
    * Brazillian BBQ spicy chicken

No veggies all day, it was sweet.hi i'm ron.
    • CommentAuthorgrev

^ this man knows how to eat.not another pitcher!
    eclip5e:Breakfast:
    * 3 sausage links

No veggies all day, it was sweet.

scallions are veggiesYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthoreclip5e

banana truffles:
    eclip5e:Breakfast:
    * 3 sausage links