Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Craiginpictures:eating 400 small meals is not a good way to lose weight.

also you are skinnier than I am, and you'll never be as skinny as those norwegian models.

craig, its actually one of the only healthy ways to lose weight. eating many small meals keeps your metabolism up and prevent blood sugar spikes, unless youre just eating crap.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010

last night i DID NOT eat peace o'pie :(
    i was so ready to eat so much vegan pizza
    AND THEYRE CLOSED ON MONDAY!

ive been craving pizza for weeks!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    banana truffles:
    Craiginpictures:eating 400 small meals is not a good way to lose weight.

also you are skinnier than I am, and you'll never be as skinny as those norwegian models.

craig, its actually one of the only healthy ways to lose weight. eating many small meals keeps your metabolism up and prevent blood sugar spikes, unless youre just eating crap.

I'd always heard that simply eating smaller meals at your normal times and resisting the urge to graze was the best way. I'll take your word for it though, didn't you study nutrition or something?

Chris, isn't that from mean girls?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Holy fuck, there is a quote similar to that in Mean Girls. Like almost exactly the same.
    But I was think of a Seinfeld episode where this guy keeps telling people his body fat ratio.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    That's like the fifth seinfeld reference today that I haven't gotten.

Hulu time.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Craiginpictures:That's like the fifth seinfeld reference today that I haven't gotten.

Hulu time.

HAHA.. WEIRD!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    gah, i hate seinfeldYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010 edited

Ella. There are no words.

On topic,
    I ate some eggs, two oranges, a sandwich on some bread I baked today, some jellybeans for a snack, and chicken lo mein for dinner. The bread was (and every day, is) the highlight. My new oven kicks the pants offa my old one. Maintains heat and circulates air *way* better than my last one, so everything comes out with this flaky tender delicious/awesome crust. Is good.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

yo tristan! can i get at your bread recipe? that stuff was so tasty.
    • CommentAuthortristan

Lauren - Upon reading this, you are obligated to send your banana bread recipe. Enjoy, and lemme know how it goes!

6 cups AP flour (add a little more water if using wheat flour), 1.5 tbsp kosher salt (table salt will make this a salt lick), 1.5 tbsp yeast, 3 cups water. Mix and put in a covered but not sealed container to rise. This fills an 4 quart pyrex bowl. After its finished rising, seal and leave it in the fridge overnight. The dough should be wetter than your average bread dough. In the wintertime, you may need to add more water, and in the summer, you may need to use less water, as flour dries out/hydrates with the weather.

Next day, put down some semolina on a surface (I use my countertop). Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough (and rub some on your hands), and grab a handful of dough. Shape by stretching the top of the dough ball down to the bottom, making a nice roundish little ball. This shouldnt take more than 30 seconds or so. Drop on your semolina and leave to rise for an hour or so. After 40 minutes, turn your oven (with pizza stone on the middle rack and a crappy metal pan with sides on the bottom rack) to 450. At the same time, sprinkle some flour on top of the dough and spread it around the top (makes that nice artisan look). Use a sharp(!) knife and cut the top in an X (or whatever shape). I cut about an inch deep. Leave the dough for the remaining 20 minutes, while letting the oven get hot.

When your oven's ready, drop the dough onto the pizza stone and put a little more than half a cup of water in the metal tray. Shut the door and set a timer for 30 minutes. Depending on your oven, your bread will take 30-35 minutes to finish up. You'll know its done when its that pretty golden brown color on top. When you pull the bread out of the oven, if you listen carefully, you can hear it popping and cracking as it continues to bake under the crust. Let it cool (or wait as long as you can stand) and tear that sucker a new one.

The dough keeps for about a week, which is perfect, as that's about how long it takes me to get through a batch eating a loaf a day. You can get some more flavor in subsequent batches by using the end scraps of a batch in the dough of the next batch. Once you get a hang of it, its a super easy daily bread, and easy enough that you can shape a loaf for dinner, have a beer and do the rest of your prep, and have the bread in the oven while you're cooking. If you don't have a pizza stone, you can use (unglazed) ceramic tile from the hardware store, or bricks, or whatever. I used red bricks for a while before switching to the stone.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010 edited

I decided I'm going on a baco-veggie diet for at least a few weeks. Lots of vegetables garnished with cooked bacon and bacon grease as my cooking oil for eggs, potatoes, etc. Not a ton of it. It's working out really well.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

thanks tristan!

here you are: Banana Bread Loaf 1 loaf

3/4 C. Sugar
    1/2 C. Oil
    2 Eggs

1 C. Mashed banana

1 3/4 C. Flour
    2 tsp. Baking powder
    1/2 tsp. Baking soda
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1/2 C. Walnuts

In a large bowl, beat untill frothy eggs, oil and sugar. Add bananas and blend. In a large measuring cup, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Fold in flour mixture. Pour into greased bread pan. Bake at 325degrees for 1 hour until crest is brown. Use toothpick to test. Remove pan to rack and let stand 10 minutes. Invert pan and slice.

walnuts are optional, but it's not the same without them! i usually double the recipe too, it's so good i like extras. i've made it vegan before and it's great when you use the ener-g stuff, and if you want it less oil you can sub applesauce for the oil.
    ^thank you for giving me something to do today.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010 edited

^^Thanks! This will get its test run this weekend. omnomnomnomnom. how ripe/overripe of a banana do you use? Ive always been told to use gross old bananas, and I usually end up missing the date (too old, too fresh, whatevah)ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

yeah, i use gross ones. if they've got some brown spots on them, they're good for using but the mushier the better. when bananas ripen the starches break down into sugars, so riper bananas are sweeter and thus better suited to baking purposes.

i usually stockpile old bananas in my freezer, and then let them thaw prior to making banana bread or using half as an egg substitute (excellent for making moister cornbread). i haven't made it in forever because i've been trying to stop buying bananas and limit myself to seasonal, if not locally sourced, produce. but i have a friend at a grocery store who got me some bananas headed for the trash, so i get to make some banana bread soon!
    • CommentAuthortristan

Thx for tips! woooo banana bread. And you're right, its just not right to make without walnuts.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan

Made some sausage gravy, baked some of it into a little loaf of bread just to see what would happen. Ended up with a kinda enclosed breadbowl with a molten center. It was kickass. Had a couple slices of tomato with it. I dont know why I decided to have the tomato, it just felt right.

Besides that, we had cannoli at my office's lunch today. That too, was kickass.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    banana truffles:gah, i hate seinfeld

That's anti-Semitic.Girls on bikes really turn my crank
    Holy shit this banana bread is so good.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    • CommentAuthorgrev
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

breakfast: 1 can of black beans, 1 peanut butter sandwich, 1 dfh raison d'etrenot another pitcher!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

Homemade chickpea patties for dinner. Nommm. Also made some seitan from scratch.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    Deep ellum, la verdad, hungry mother. Ascending order in awesomeness.I prefer 49x16
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

breakfast:
    what i've taken to calling a southwest scramble, despite not really being all that southwesty:
    eggs
    1/4lb ground beef
    bacon
    anjo chile's
    pepper jack cheesedongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Humbert Humbert:Holy fuck, there is a quote similar to that in Mean Girls. Like almost exactly the same.
    But I was think of a Seinfeld episode where this guy keeps telling people his body fat ratio.
    7.6%, bitches!dongpincher 1000
    Bananas need to be fried in brandy more often.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    • CommentAuthortristan

Humbert Humbert:Bananas need to be fried in brandy more often.

I support this.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Made myself marvellicious french toast this morning. NOM.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

This is more of a "TODAY I WISH I ATE", courtesy of STUPIDFRIES:
    We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthortristan

Ricotta omelet, an orange, and some juice for breakfast. A couple granola bars, a v8, and some grapes for lunch (what am I, dieting?), and an open faced turkey/gravy sandwich with asparagus and forty for dinner.

nomnomnomnomascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorjerome

I had two chocolate croissants from Clear Flour for breakfast... best decision ever! I usually only get over there once every 6 months or so but I always get such delicious things!

I then had a Some Like it Hot sandwich at Herrell's Allston Café for lunch/dinner.

I wish I had more interesting things to add to conversations on the forum, but I don't want to just be lurking...i didnt like my old username anymore so here's a new one.
    ieronymus:I had two chocolate croissants from Clear Flour for breakfast... best decision ever!

You, sir, are a winner! I try to fight it, but I generally go at least once a weekend. They have the best chocolate croissants I've ever had, by LEAPS AND BOUNDS. But the black sesame sticks are where it's at. THS + BSS = TLF.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I made brioche today! it was a success.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorjerome
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

I'll have to try the black sesame sticks! And yeah, they make chocolate croissants better at clear flour than at any bakery I've been to in Montréal, and I went to a lot when I lived there!i didnt like my old username anymore so here's a new one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

we started carrying clear flour stuff at ERC a few months ago, we went from always having croissants left at the end of the night to NEVER having anything left. their blueberry corn scones are delicious as well. and the bread! i've never been to their actual bakery, i need to get on that.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010 edited

getting to the bakery is a huge part of the experience for me. They make the best baguettes in the area, I am convinced. One of my favorite sunny day activities is to get a book, some cheese, and a baguette from clear flour and ride around to various parks nomming/reading. And they're only $2.75!!!

I've never had anything besides baguettes from there though. Now that I live practically around the corner, I'll have to see what else they offer.

edit - Guess I wanted to say that I think its wicked quaint how only four people fit inside at a time, and on a busy day, the line wraps around the building...ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i love that you're as into cheese and good bread as i am.
    • CommentAuthortristan

^I love this also. We need to do a bread-n-cheese randonee sometime soon.

Tonight, I am broke. I have about $30 to last me the next few days, and I have a party at a very expensive (grumble grumble) joint to go to on thursday. So, tonight, I'm eating beans. Only redeemed by the fact that Im eating them in a breadbowl I baked a little bit ago. Thank goodness I spend that $1.00 a week on making bread.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorChromeLugs

My friend was a baker there until a couple weeks ago. He's moving on to help open a restaurant called 5 Corners in Marblehead and he's bringing the bread with him. Seriously talented guy.

I ate sweetbreads, fried clams with squid ink anchoiade, roasted chicken, spring vegetable succotash, vidalia onion potage, bread with oxtail and bone marrow ragout, softshell crab tempura, grilled cheese, and pork ribs because I worked as a dishwasher for one night. They have the life.I prefer 49x16
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010

^^yes please, tristan!

speaking of bike rides & food, i also need someone who is feeling fat to go hit up all the "local" homemade ice cream stands listed in the area on the eastern mass rubel maps with me. it's like how we used to ride around to all the ben & jerry's on free cone day the first day of spring, only with a lot more riding in the middle.

and then we can also hit up all the swimming spots.
    Made tacos, randomly whipped out the camera, result: extremely vivid tacography

tacos!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010

D: :D TACO MOUF
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010

Tacography successful. I now have an unbelievable craving for taco. Wowzers.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

Good job, t-homie. That just gave my tongue a stiffy.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Despite having the sick, decided to cook tonight.

Salad: Lettuce, tomato, avocado, cucumber
    Pasta: Ziti
    Fish: Salmon, seasoned and then baked
    Dessert: Blackberry/Strawberry cobbler, with vanilla ice cream

Making a note here, huge success.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    EPIC! Stratton:Despite having the sick, decided to cook tonight.

Making a note here, huge success.

What a coincidence, I had the exact same thing! And it was delicious.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

Doin dessert too, you overachiever!

Sounds deelish.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorChromeLugs

I overcooked quatre foies terrines by two degrees. We then had foies terrine for lunch. mmmmmmmmmI prefer 49x16
    misspinkbike:
    EPIC! Stratton:Despite having the sick, decided to cook tonight.

Making a note here, huge success.

What a coincidence, I had the exact same thing! And it was delicious.

Hear that folks - seal of approval right there.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorowen

you guys are fucking ridiculous :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

And cute.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks