Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

Hub Bicycle, set to open in February. 918 Cambridge St, which, along with Cambridge, Open and Broadway, makes 4 bike shops within a square mile or so. Here's their blag.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

I'm not sure, but that market may be saturated already. just a thought.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

^ david arslanian likes this.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

I feel like the only place that DOESNT have a bike shop anymore is downtown.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    • CommentAuthorowen

Yeah I'd say the market is a bit saturated at this point.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

does anyone know the folks opening this shop?RIDE METAL
    If they can find a special niche, they'll probably do alright. I'd be afraid, though.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

There are more of them than us.

Would you open a shop downtown and lose money or would you get paid bank for the countless magna riding grad students living in the 'vard, MIT and Davis triangle?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited

Someone needs to open a Mission Hill/Huntington Ave shop to bridge between the Back bay shops like back bay bikes and boston bikes, and the JP shops like Revolution and BNB
    then it will truly be a saturated marketThere's always money in The Banana Stand
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

^^ true
    ^ double true - a shop near/in brigham circle would probably do pretty well.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthormauspad

i am surprised that there aren't more smaller repair-oriented shops (ie, not like international) in allston/brighton. or any in brookline that i'm aware of. (not including bicycle bill's, 'cause that's over the interstate)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

boundgear:There are more of them than us.

HAHA! almost true. wtf?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

whatever guys. my favorite bike shop will always be urban outfitters.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

you are all about to be able to say "I was riding back when it wasn't cool" cause cycling is taking off in 2010. By this time next year we are going to be looking at some seriously crowded bike lanes...mark my words!this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

Over the past 5 years i think i've seen the number of bikes on the road quadruple. its crazy, ^ the man has a good point.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    ^^I have to get to the right of the shoulder when I stop at lights so the cool bike kids behind me can run the light without hitting me or whiningi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^this happened to me while i was stopped at longwood and brookline this morning. a cyclist behind me threw me an exasperated sigh and an exaggerated eye-roll before dragging his shitty mtb up on the sidewalk to run the cross signal. now, i usually go through cross signals (slowly), but that one is particularly busy, especially in the morning, so i either wait for the green or until there's like 4 seconds left on the flashing hand to preempt cars from left-hooking me from the opposite direction. it made me really frustrated today. especially when i caught up to him on the next block and rang my bell at him as i passed.
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

VectoredZev:I feel like the only place that DOESNT have a bike shop anymore is downtown.
    Urban Adventours between the North End and Downtown have hooked me up with tubes and brake pads when I needed such things, but it wouldn't suck to have another option around, say, Downtown Crossing or Chinatown.
    ^that intersection is a cattle crossing indeed. i usually like to jump early and get through before most of the peds get off the sidewalk.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    mauspad:Hub Bicycle, set to open in February. 918 Cambridge St, which, along with Cambridge, Open and Broadway, makes 4 bike shops within a square mile or so. Here's their blag.

also timeless bmx.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

There are plenty of places for lease in the Downtown crossing area. a few by Pi Alley especially. Anyone wanna start a business venture?

^^^+1^ This was a main part of my twitter argument with someone recently. Were fighting about bikers rushing redlights... and I told her most experienced bikers actually respect the reds. It's punk ass noobs who run them.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

also Quad in harvard sq as well as EMS... but yeah

Best of luck to them.
    VectoredZev:There are plenty of places for lease in the Downtown crossing area. a few by Pi Alley especially. Anyone wanna start a business venture?

^^^+1^ This was a main part of my twitter argument with someone recently. Were fighting about bikers rushing redlights... and I told her most experienced bikers actually respect the reds. It's punk ass noobs who run them.

lulz. half-credit. in my experience most experienced bikers still blow them, they just slow down before doing it.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    and by harvard sq you mean arlington, right?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthormindchalk

THE FASTER YOU GO THE HARDER YOU ARE FOR CARS TO HITout of true.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

zev, is this your shitty ex we're talking about?
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

tinyhonkshus:
    VectoredZev:There are plenty of places for lease in the Downtown crossing area. a few by Pi Alley especially. Anyone wanna start a business venture?

^^^+1^ This was a main part of my twitter argument with someone recently. Were fighting about bikers rushing redlights... and I told her most experienced bikers actually respect the reds. It's punk ass noobs who run them.

lulz. half-credit. in my experience most experienced bikers still blow them, they just slow down before doing it.

yup, i admit to doing this, if alls clear, i go, just like i would if i was on foot.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

mindchalk:THE FASTER YOU GO THE HARDER YOU ARE FOR CARS TO HIT
    sometimes times true but not always.. cars don't think you can keep up with them, so when they pass you and make a hard right - your in the cars passenger door.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    • CommentAuthorDrscumphd

For those of you in need of repairs in the downtown crossing ish area My house has a repair shop in it and I live on A street prety much right behind south station so who ever wants to invest in a bike shop let me know I'd be there in a heart beat
    Drscumphd:For those of you in need of repairs in the downtown crossing ish area My house has a repair shop in it and I live on A street prety much right behind south station so who ever wants to invest in a bike shop let me know I'd be there in a heart beat

You need a super nichey-niche. Like MOSTLY BELGIAN WAFFLES, BUT I WILL ALSO FIX YER WHIP! That's a good niche.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorDrscumphd

yeah pretty much i'm a bike mechanic with a culinary degree so bring it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

I don't think you really need "nichey-niche" if you go with a small niche you'll run into problems. You just need to offer what most people want in the area of your shop.. Somerville = commuters if they have low cost bikes and a decent selection of commuting attire they should do fine. especially if they are nice knowledgeable and churn out good reasonably priced tune ups. I wanna open a bike shop but who doesn't? Brookline needs one close to Brookline Village or further down beacon but rent would be insane. I would say central allston would be a good spot.

But Cambridge is closer to me, plus pete works there.. until this shop gets a "pete" i'll stick to what i know.

also pete where you been come get drunk with me...Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    • CommentAuthorgc

I think both garage de velo and revolution bikes tried the downtown bike shop model, and it didn't work for either of them.

Maybe third times a charm, though.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^OOOOH PPWWWWWNNNNNDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    tinyhonkshus:
    Drscumphd:For those of you in need of repairs in the downtown crossing ish area My house has a repair shop in it and I live on A street prety much right behind south station so who ever wants to invest in a bike shop let me know I'd be there in a heart beat

You need a super nichey-niche. Like MOSTLY BELGIAN WAFFLES, BUT I WILL ALSO FIX YER WHIP! That's a good niche.

I would stop at that shop on a daily basis. Just sayin.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Morgie:Ella maybe you should turn down the Sass!

im so confused, when i googled it i got the arlington place

ooooo quad CYCLEYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    banana truffles:
    Morgie:Ella maybe you should turn down the Sass!

im so confused, when i googled it i got the arlington place

ooooo quad CYCLE

to be fair, you did phrase it in the form of a question. you tried to confirm the location! what else does he want?!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

mauspad:zev, is this your shitty ex we're talking about?

No this is a completely different shitty person. I dont talk to the shitty ex anymore. but thanks for noticing how shitty she is.

PS, waffles and bikes. and A street can be part of my commute. I'm there!EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Pipe down or you're gonna get ROd.
    And you sure do seem to twitter with a lot of shitty people. What's going on, VZ? Talk to us.

Also, can we get a shop where Pete serves us Belgian waffles?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    joeyfresh:
    Also, can we get a shop where Pete serves us Belgian waffles in bed?

<3 <3 <3clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    can we find a way to run a bike shop out of a waffle truck?'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010

^OMG
    joeyfresh:Belgian waffles?

SWEDISH waffles, FTW.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    chr|s sedition:
    joeyfresh:Belgian waffles?

SWEDISH waffles, FTW.

No.. GTFO.

I wish I could go get waffels right now.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

joeyfresh:Pipe down or you're gonna get ROd.
    And you sure do seem to twitter with a lot of shitty people. What's going on, VZ? Talk to us.

haha. I twitter with a lot of people in general. I have 3 accounts. One for my design "company". One for me. and one for my a cappella group. The only people who I @reply with are the ones who have "something to say."

Bike shop truck... i told you all when i got my flat which left me stranded... We need a bike AAA thingy. I forget why we decided not to start it.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

We've actually been talking about offering an on the road flat fix service at the Dutch Bikes shop lately. Seems like the "regular folk" really dig that idea. I don't know whether or not it would float with the DIY-track crowd - service fees and all that. You know how it is, a dude's got to get paid somehow. Either way, we've got this killer trike that would be awesome for that sort of crap. Like a bastardized ice cream cart, but without the snacks...or maybe...The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

We could charge same rates as the messenger companies, zones and distance + equipment. Iphones/smartphones can have software to charge credit cards on them... just have a ton of people "on call" and see whomever is closer. I'm totally a DIY guy, but I just didnt have the gear when it happened. and it was too late to buy a tube anywhere. Brad tried to help me out but didnt have a matching tube.

So you're saying you've got a bike like Louis's Trike? I mean, this also would extend to all the business people who bike into downtown and dont have time to visit a bike shop. People could go to them while they're at work, fix their bike, and it's ready for the commute home.

All I'm saying is, i'm down for this (altho I start NOT being in boston 9-5 next week.)EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    I think a bike AAA would be cool...like if you were going on a ride and didn't want to lug a backpack with a pump and tubes, you wouldn't be shit outta luck when you blow a flat at your turnaround point (which inevitably will happen). And then there's serious stuff too. Chain breaks, spoke breaks, rim dents, hub explodes, pedal breaks off...etc.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

^chain breaks: I was doing boston Hub on Wheels. about 15 miles in someone's chain broke. i had a shitty chain tool on me. Ended up popping out the peg, struggling for 20 min to get it back in. Then apparently after we finished fixing his chain, it broke again 5 min later. Just a stiff chain. Dude's bike wasnt in good shape. But stuff like that, especially on events like that. BAA would be nice.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...