Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

After 20 years in bid'ness, it looks like Pearl Art has closed it's doors for good.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!

Doesn't surprise me though, that place has been looking a bit sad lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

OH! fuck. where am I going to go out of my way to get art supplies now?EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    theres a place across the streetYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    fuck pearl, come to blick. were opening up another store in Cambridge anyway.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    IANAA and i haven't been there in years, but i'm still sad about this.

^where's the Blick store gonna be?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    dunno yet, corporate isnt telling us anything. The suits are coming in this week, so i assume leases will be signed. Ive been hearing talk of the old gap store.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    cool dude. i've been wondering what was going to go in there, the gap's been gone for a while.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthoreggman

Anybody remember the Woolworth's?? Probably not. Aw man and the 99 cent store where the Payless is now. Good times.

Pearl served me well through elementary school, but it was always overpriced, and it's a big chain anyway so I'm not that saddened really. And the art store across the street is much better.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    oh man alex you are so old skoolYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    THIS IS SOME BULLSHIT.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited

Pearl was a waste, shitty service and shitty prices.

Artist and Craftsman Supply is the jam, and now they'll get much more needed business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

anyone know if you can get sisal or jute at either blick or artist & craftsman supply?
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Ahhhhhh, fuuuck. I loved Pearl art.

Farewell dear friend, your memory will linger long in my heart.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorgc

eggman:Anybody remember the Woolworth's?? Probably not. Aw man and the 99 cent store where the Payless is now. Good times.

maxi's 99 cent store.gone
    eggman:Anybody remember the Woolworth's?? Probably not. Aw man and the 99 cent store where the Payless is now. Good times.

Surman's. The Donut Shop. Lucy Parson's Center. Liberty Cafe. Ethopian Resturant. and of course, Woolworth's. I've been around the block a few times. ;)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorLyzard
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010

my office is the old woolworth's.
    the elevator still has the W bronzed in the floor.

i "heard" another bank was going into the Gap's location...

also that old AT&T space across the street by the bus stop. still nothing in there.
    is it really that hard to lease one of these places??
    Lyzard:i "heard" another bank was going into the Gap's location...

Central Sq does not have enough banks or Indian resturants. It needs more.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    i totally agreeYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Also, more piss smell and drunk yelling.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

^joe that's not nice.

anyone know the exact closing date?

also, not to change the subject, but on a more positive note the kells is closing. they're replacing it with a tavern on the square. that place sucks too but i don't think anything could suck as much as the kellsMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010 edited

Dora, I've lived in Central for 5 years. I love Central. Piss smell, drunk yelling, and all. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Also, a bro bar's a bro bar :) Fuck 'em all.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Tavern on the Square is the w├╝rst chain ever.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    joeyfresh:Dora, I've lived in Central for 5 years. I love Central. Piss smell, drunk yelling, and all. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Also, a bro bar's a bro bar :) Fuck 'em all.

Agreed. Central Sq is one of the best places to live in the city. Between the methadone clinic on Albany, the needle exchange on Sellers, the .99 cent Wendy's menu (hey, the drunks need somewhere to hang out), the hippie joints (Center for Marxist Education, Coop, etc.), the Middle East, the sex store, the police station to deal with the drunks (RIP police station), legal jaywalking, the bike shop, the liquor stores, and confused MIT/Harvard students, Central Sq. has all you can ask for.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    RIP police station?

tavern on the sq is lame but has to be less lame than the kells. right?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

^they're closing the police station on western ave in central.

and yea, i agree with you on that oneMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreggman

joeyfresh:Also, more piss smell and drunk yelling.

Shoulda been here when it smelled like feces everywhere. Mostly because there was feces everywhere.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

chr|s sedition:
    joeyfresh:Dora, I've lived in Central for 5 years. I love Central. Piss smell, drunk yelling, and all. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Also, a bro bar's a bro bar :) Fuck 'em all.

Agreed. Central Sq is one of the best places to live in the city. Between the methadone clinic on Albany, the needle exchange on Sellers, the .99 cent Wendy's menu (hey, the drunks need somewhere to hang out), the hippie joints (Center for Marxist Education, Coop, etc.), the Middle East, the sex store, the police station to deal with the drunks (RIP police station), legal jaywalking, the bike shop, the liquor stores, and confused MIT/Harvard students, Central Sq. has all you can ask for.

My man.
    You can't forget Moody's though. Best drunk food in Cambridge. Fuck, almost the best sober food in Cambridge.

^^^Six of one, half a dozen of the other. It's like comparing polyester suits.

^^It closed over a year ago. I never thought I'd be sad to see a police station close, but yep. The good news is they're still keeping a decent presence. I don't mind my Central Sq. po-pos. They keep that intersection on fucking LOCK. Which, as a biker, I like.

^I'm honestly jealous of you.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    really? are there not still cruisers parked around there all the time? am i that unobservant? granted i hardly ever go by there but still.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    joeyfresh:You can't forget Moody's though.

Yeah. Good call. I dunno how I left that one out.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    surprisefries:really? are there not still cruisers parked around there all the time? am i that unobservant? granted i hardly ever go by there but still.

Yeah, it's been a ghost town over there for awhile.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Yeah, every once in a while, I'll walk by there (possibly after a few beers) and think about how fun it would be to break in somehow and explore. And then I remember that that is the WORST IDEA EVER.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorgc

phoenix coffeehouse!gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

Lyzard:also that old AT&T space across the street by the bus stop. still nothing in there.
    It's hard to sell pretty much any space right now. Especially ones with T-stops near by and so on and so forth. Pretty much every 3rd address on Newbury has a "for lease" sign.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    • CommentAuthorLyzard

yeah i just walked by the old gap and it said something like "Petitioner: TD Bank"

greeeaaat another bank.
    grahambear:phoenix coffeehouse!

That place was too bright. Liberty, FTW...esp when Lloyd from Eye For An Eye worked there.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Artist supply is still there. And it's local. So where's the problem?I prefer 49x16
    VectoredZev:
    Lyzard:also that old AT&T space across the street by the bus stop. still nothing in there.
    It's hard to sell pretty much any space right now. Especially ones with T-stops near by and so on and so forth. Pretty much every 3rd address on Newbury has a "for lease" sign.

That's because when things were booming they jacked up the rent costs and kicked out all the small time guys, and won't budge on their "old world" prices anymore.

Central Square is really becoming a wasteland, with the gap closed, the attic closed, and now the pearl closed.

Maybe someone can make a pub/grub style place like the Squealing Pig in it. Miracle of Science is great, but I get burnt out on it.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthoreggman

octalink magic:Central Square is really becoming a wasteland, with the gap closed, the attic closed, and now the pearl closed.

I think most Central Square residents are fine with those stores closing. I loved when they graffitied every window at the Gap the day after it opened.

Anyone remember what the Attic used to be? I was gonna say the Manhattan but I think that's where the Citibank is now. Or did it span those two storefronts?

Also I found this:

Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    Attic used to be Manhattan.

I'm not saying that the gap was a great place but the amount of empty storefronts in Central is rather discerning.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    eggman: I loved when they graffitied every window at the Gap the day after it opened.

YES! That made me so happy.

Oh, wow. That brings back some good memories. I was the bookkeepper at LPC (lucy parson's) for long time. Long live the revolution!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010

i wish the lucy parson's center was still in centralMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    dora:i wish the lucy parson's center was still in central

So does everyone who is part of the collective! Fuckin' condos!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010 edited

manhattan + coquette spanned the two store fronts where citibank is located and the location of the (now deceased) attic store.
    also: sedition- condos didn't go in- affordable housing did.

and that picture of central must have been taken right before the demolition- i didn't recall that the little park was put in BEFORE the new block was built.gone
    joeyfresh:Yeah, every once in a while, I'll walk by there (possibly after a few beers) and think about how fun it would be to break in somehow and explore. And then I remember that that is the WORST IDEA EVER.

i know a guy (friend of a friend) who got real high and did a break-and-explore in a masonic temple. it didn't end well.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    grahambear:manhattan + coquette spanned the two store fronts where citibank is located and the location of the (now deceased) attic store.
    also: sedition- condos didn't go in- affordable housing did.

and that picture of central must have been taken right before the demolition- i didn't recall that the little park was put in BEFORE the new block was built.

The park went in shortly before shit got torn down. It was the first part of the "restructuring." And correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure only a small portion of those units are "affordable."All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.