Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPanameM
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010

has anyone had a problem with their omnium cranks, like the thread on the non drive side stripping, rendering them useless..?
    does anyone have solutions to this problem other than getting a new crankset?

any help/advice... appreciatedsnow
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited

Most Outboard bearings are pretty easy to strip.. did you hand thread it to start? usually i don't use the tool until its as tight as I can get it usually more than half way on then I use the tool to finish it. Other than that just make sure your threads are nice and clean.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

truvativ cranks need a bunch of torque on the self-extracting crank bolt, 12-15 N-m. proper install plus checking now and then should be fine.
    • CommentAuthordoug?

I broke the self-extracting bolt on a pair of their road cranks, and they also needed constant tightening. Had to just toss them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited

Grease your threads, and if there's any resistance don't force it, make sure everything's clean. I have generally only had Sram cranks since 2007 and have had no problems other than needing to tighten them a month or so after installation (which is far better than my experience with octalink).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPanameM
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010

first, thanks all for the replies.

i couldn't hand thread it at first with these cranks but usually the resistance at first is very low.

gregtheripper:truvativ cranks need a bunch of torque on the self-extracting crank bolt, 12-15 N-m. proper install plus checking now and then should be fine.

this is what i heard when i first installed them. i usually just torque the bolt until the cranks are spinning smoothly without the resistance of over-tensioning them.
    the threads were cleaned/greased everytime i cleaned my drivetrain/bike, and i still had to tighten them occasionally.

also the cranks are 4 or 5 months old, i don't get how i could have worn the threads out so quickly..? i had sugino 75s for over a year without spindle/thread problems. i have to say that i abuse my cranks on a daily basis, but this is crazy.
    now the bolt will seem to tighten itself for maybe 1/4inch, but then it just spins freely and the crank arm comes right off, as in i can pull it off the spindle without resistance. im not sure if the crank or the bolt is the problem.snow
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

Pete's spot on. I've stripped out non-drive side cranks twice. each in under a year.

1. always prep the threads with grease!
    2. always wipe em clean before screwing pedals in and always make sure they are fully tightened.

Incidentally the reason this happens is likely because your non drive side crank arm has to transmit both power (forward) AND torque (through spindle arm to drive side.) Most folks (self included) usually seem to clip out with their left foot as well.

[edit: just realized you were referring to crank arm bolts and not pedal threads...woops at least the nerdy engineering bit still applies]"You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    ^I tend to unclip with my right.... odd.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!