Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited

• CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010

:(ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

i ride through charles & beacon everyday. merging from either direction is not the easiest thing to do.
    • CommentAuthorsara

i dont know of any other ghost bikes in the city, so maybe they are taken down...but there is one on the corner of Longwood and Harvard Ave (right past the trader joes) that has been up for almost a year now, i ride past it everyday. i think as long as its not in the way, and is respectful (no signs, expect perhaps regaurding the victim) then they will leave them up. there are usually flowers and nice cards in the one i ride by.
    • CommentAuthor3speeder

new to site....
    this is very unsettling
    2 accidents 2 days
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

just heard about this ^^^^^ from my coworker

commencing texting people who may have been in that area (edit: to see if they're ok)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    sara:i dont know of any other ghost bikes in the city, so maybe they are taken down...but there is one on the corner of Longwood and Harvard Ave (right past the trader joes) that has been up for almost a year now, i ride past it everyday. i think as long as its not in the way, and is respectful (no signs, expect perhaps regaurding the victim) then they will leave them up. there are usually flowers and nice cards in the one i ride by.

I think there is one on Tremont, too...Between Arlington and Berekele.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    that one's gordon's because northeastern made them take it down.

community bicycle was kind enough to let whoever put it there.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

sara:i dont know of any other ghost bikes in the city, so maybe they are taken down...but there is one on the corner of Longwood and Harvard Ave (right past the trader joes) that has been up for almost a year now, i ride past it everyday. i think as long as its not in the way, and is respectful (no signs, expect perhaps regaurding the victim) then they will leave them up. there are usually flowers and nice cards in the one i ride by.

there used to be at least two more, two cyclists died about a month apart from each other in spring of '07. each had a ghostbike, one was at northeastern and the other was at harvard&cambridge in allston. they have since been removed, don't know why [edit: conor clarified where gordon's went. i think kelly's was just removed]. their deaths are what led to H.E.L.L being formed back in the day.

the one you're talking about always gets new flowers & stuff in it, it's really sad. poinsettias for christmas and everything, i think that's what spurred them to repave longwood and do a shared bike lane. it was a shame that someone had to get doored that badly before they took action to make that stretch of road safer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

Any more reliable info. preferably a name, or confirmation of injury/death on Beacon Hill?enjoy two cosmetics
    • CommentAuthorbrittle

i saw the scene of the common accident.... navy blue cannondale, i think the caad series...

guys be safe. summer = lots of new riders, lots of drivers whipping around also. take it easy, everyone.disco visp
    shit, i was JUST there when it happened. my business was far less death-related, though.
    im gonna go ride my bike to the common and fall down somewhere, making a scene.
    too soon?
    ratattack:

there used to be at least two more, two cyclists died about a month apart from each other in spring of '07. each had a ghostbike, one was at northeastern and the other was at harvard&cambridge in allston. they have since been removed, don't know why [edit: conor clarified where gordon's went. i think kelly's was just removed]. their deaths are what led to H.E.L.L being formed back in the day.

the one you're talking about always gets new flowers & stuff in it, it's really sad. poinsettias for christmas and everything, i think that's what spurred them to repave longwood and do a shared bike lane. it was a shame that someone had to get doored that badly before they took action to make that stretch of road safer.

there also used to be a memorial on summer st. before melcher. not a ghostbike, but a wheel and various decorations.

i think it was a memorial. never found out who it was for, tho.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    MBTA Bus on Huntington kills some douche

I am gathering a force right now, if anyone is interested. We will make signs that say MBTA=MURDER and go stand near various T stations and bus stops. There will be vegan cupcakes and reruns of LOST on DVD. WHOSE WITH ME?
    • CommentAuthorben

Mephlehet:too soon?

Yes.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

i'm glad fist has no shame in taking assholery to new bounds.
    Humbert Humbert: if the investigation reveals who was at fault.

this is incredibly unlikely to happen

geekhouse: I think we should talk to Nicole Freedman and the Mayor about leaving ghost bikes up with plaques on them.

HA the two of them are a fucking joke and as long as the super commuter is happy they don't fucking care. blame will be placed on eric, or at most shared blame between the bus driver and eric, or they'll just blame it on the tracks and say it was an 'unavoidable tragedy' and then not change anything about the infrastructure

welcome to the combat zone
    Nuggetross:i'm glad fist has no shame in taking assholery to new bounds.

Still holding that v-card, I see. Funny, I would've thought having such luscious vagina lips for a mouth would make it hard to stave off waves of horny guys who wanna put their dick between them. I guess oral doesn't count.
    ^ the one on melcher is for laura nelson. a bike messenger who unfortunately took her own life years back.
    conor!:
    ratattack:

there also used to be a memorial on summer st. before melcher. not a ghostbike, but a wheel and various decorations.

i think it was a memorial. never found out who it was for, tho.

i dont remember her name but she was a friend of craig, rubi, jen obrien
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/davechensipod/4502748373/

if it's the black car behind the police car that was in the accident, it's position leads me to infer that the cyclist was riding hard down beacon towards charles andwasnt aware of the cars on charles making left turns on to beacon
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^that intersection is light controlled. Someone did something wrong for that to have happened. Where the car is also looks like a very wrong place for a car to be.this wont hurt a bit...
    A comprehensive list of bicycle messenger deaths, and one suicide

People who commit suicide are invaluable assets to the American economy. Thank you, Laura Nelson for your contribution.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

Fucking tragic. Be careful out there.We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

Nicole is in favor of ghost bikes staying up as they do in New York. If a dedicated group of individuals wants a ghost bike up I believe in and support their efforts.

Be an asshole, I couldn't care less, but not when people are mourning a loss or feeling vulnerable because of a tragedy. New or old to the forum, the "scene", or cycling itself. Ride safe.enjoy two cosmetics
    kilgore_trout:http://www.flickr.com/photos/davechensipod/4502748373/

if it's the black car behind the police car that was in the accident, it's position leads me to infer that the cyclist was riding hard down beacon towards charles andwasnt aware of the cars on charles making left turns on to beacon

And as if car took left into the *wrong* lane...All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    and that meph is why i dont care what anybody says about how nice you are in real life. youre still an insensitive fucking douchbag for saying things like that.
    period.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    What did I do? It's true! Nuggetross does have lips that look like a vagina. THAT'S NOT MY FAULT. Also, lol @ you. HURR I DUN LIKE YOU, DID YOU KNOW THAT?
    The ghost bike Sara writes of is located in Brookline. I suspect they're more tolerant of such memorials.

Also, B-fixed. . . get your shit tight. Twitter isn't a reliable source for anything, and recall that this sort spike in bike related accidents is horrible, unfortunate, cyclical, and often random. Getting hurt on your bike is probably as likely as getting hurt as a pedestrian, or as a motorist. Often times it does not matter how experienced or careful you are, you just get fucked. After visiting Gabe Tuesday, I'm feeling totally vulnerable as a cyclist, but I will keep riding, and so will you.

Just keep your shit tight.

-Joshua.Robot[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorjing

i just rode by that scene of the common/beacon yesterday. its my way back from school. sad news
    robotbuilder:The ghost bike Sara writes of is located in Brookline. I suspect they're more tolerant of such memorials.

Also, B-fixed. . . get your shit tight. Twitter isn't a reliable source for anything, and recall that this sort spike in bike related accidents is horrible, unfortunate, cyclical, and often random. Getting hurt on your bike is probably as likely as getting hurt as a pedestrian, or as a motorist. Often times it does not matter how experienced or careful you are, you just get fucked. After visiting Gabe Tuesday, I'm feeling totally vulnerable as a cyclist, but I will keep riding, and so will you.

Just keep your shit tight.

-Joshua.Robot

Agreed, I've been having nightmare daydreams about getting crushed by a car lately. Very vulnerable and there's a thin margin between riding like any other day and horrible consequences. I'm not immune to being in accidents, but get extremely nervous seeing the way many of you ride (I saw Craiginpictures a few weeks ago riding around squirrely as hell...get skills before worrying about equipment and fashion).
    • CommentAuthorpete

Just went near here ~10 minutes ago, further up Beacon St. towards the state house. The westbound lane from Park St. down to Charles St. is closed off, traffic is still going up the hill eastbound. Asked two officers if there was a fatality and they both said they weren't sure. Either way. having things closed off for this long can't be a good sign.
    chr|s sedition:

And as if car took left into the *wrong* lane...

Sometimes I feel like 70% of turning cars just turn into the middle of their destination street and then correct once they've straightened out. There's always mention here when cops start ticketing bikes but HOLY FUCK when are cops gonna start ticketing cars for anything but parking and speeding?

(and I stand by my rant even if that isn't the case in this accident)i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorChicagoKarl

. Getting hurt on your bike is probably as likely as getting hurt as a pedestrian, or as a motorist.
    -Joshua.Robot

I'm going to VERY strongly disagree with you there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

keepitreal:Agreed, I've been having nightmare daydreams about getting crushed by a car lately. Very vulnerable and there's a thin margin between riding like any other day and horrible consequences.

shortly after i got hit, gordon and kelly were hit and it really shook me up. the first time i rode again after the sling was off and my shoulder was mostly ok, i snuck out the door so that my roommates wouldn't try to stop me (i still had a few days of no riding left) and ended up forgetting my helmet. the whole time i was riding around i kept picturing ways i could die and how cars/buses/trucks would crush me. it got dark and started raining a little bit and i was terrified.

moral of the story is, i can't ride without a helmet anymore. a helmet is the difference between me imagining my own death the whole time i'm riding (& having a miserable time b/c of it) and being able to ride with a modicum of security. sometimes that doesn't even help.
    ^ I disagree as well.

Cyclists have a smaller profile, move faster, and are sharing the same road. Pedestrians aren't running alongside of cars, consistently staying in their blindspot.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder

@Karl Okay. I admit to being uninformed in that statement. . . if you have any data to share I'd be interested to see it [edit] presented in a different thread. [/edit][all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorpete

From Bostonbiker.org comments:

yes, i came across the accident scene right after it happened, biker was reportedly conscious despite no helmet but had lost a lot of blood from big cut on head. he was lying in the middle of the street, on the crosswalk. was hit by a black accord or the like which had an almost-shattered windshield. bike was in two pieces. would welcome tips on how to get pix i took of scene to the biker.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

tinyhonkshus:
    chr|s sedition:

And as if car took left into the *wrong* lane...

Sometimes I feel like 70% of turning cars just turn into the middle of their destination street and then correct once they've straightened out.

i can't tell you HOW many times a day i see this
    (at the intersection of putnam and sidney)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

ratattack:the whole time i was riding around i kept picturing ways i could die and how cars/buses/trucks would crush me. ..... a helmet is the difference between me imagining my own death the whole time i'm riding (& having a miserable time b/c of it) and being able to ride with a modicum of security. sometimes that doesn't even help.

I picture these things every day I ride anyway. It keeps me safe (albeit slow). I picture what would happen if a car came around the corner I'm going around. or if the guy over there runs the stoplight.

But i also picture how I would react. What could potentially save my life, what would fail miserably.

I thoroughly expect myself to act differently than I imagine in any real situation. But I still picture it consistently.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    • CommentAuthormauspad

"Was there when it happened, was the most horrific noise. Man was face down in the street but moving his arms when taken into the ambulance. Car was going about 10-15 mph, and took the left onto beacon too sharp. People responded very well though and the ambulance was there in no time. Praying for his recovery."

explains why the car's on the wrong side of the road-- driver must've swung out around the starbucks right into the path of the cyclist. good to hear that he was moving. hope he pulls through alive and without a severe TBI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChicagoKarl

it'd be nice if there was a big enough showing later tonight after the ghost bike is up.
    i wouldnt mind biking over later in the night w/ candle or something
    and leaving them there
    get the news to show up
    film it
    create awareness

realistically that is the only way to solve issues like that.
    otherwise people just forget and turn heads the other way.
    meph can come too if he wants.
    • CommentAuthorben

Not sure what time the bike will be up, but we hope to get it down there tonight. Maybe by 10? (gotta let paints dry, etc)

If people wanna come by, for a few minutes, to hang out, etc., feel free. I'll update here with a better idea of timing once we start painting.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan

^^ this is wise. Maybe danroch can get something going on from the news channel?ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    i will contact dan st germain
    can we maybe say 11pm on the dot?
    the bike itself doesnt have to be dry, it just has to be painted white....
    bring candles?
    i can tell shane to post it on bostonbiker.

i'll bring my camera to get some photos too perhaps.
    I'll be at a show at 11, but I have a bunch of candles. Maybe I can hid them so someone can light them?
    11pm might be a little late, I'm not sure. How long does the paint take to dry?I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

i'm leaving work at 5 on the dot and then walking the bike over to tristan's. i got my housemate to bring it up so it'll be waiting for me as soon as i get home.

i think the biggest problem is going to be getting it over to huntington. does anyone have a car we could load it into?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

We've been doing some coverage of both the accidents.. Im a designer at 7News But, I can contact a producer and see if they wanna cover a story about the ghost bike.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981