Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

^Bingo. I've said it numerous times here but those E-line stops are the least used stops in the entire MBTA system.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015

chr|s sedition:Anyone remember the Mass Ave tracks way back before the Mass Ave reconstruction? We are talking 10-15 years back here. They were so bad it was almost a hazard for CARS to drive over them. On a bike, had to dismount.

I remember this. There were certain places along the width of the road where the road was flush enough to the track that you could roll over on a bike without too much trouble, and other places where they were just pits of death.

I lived in a dorm a couple blocks away from there, and we used to put pennies and quarters on the tracks when the trains drove over and they'd flatten out and make awesome souvenirs.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015 edited

I got doored on Columbus @ Clarendon pretty good today. Passenger swung open the door into whats left of the bike lane just as the light turned green and I was putting the hammer down. Save a mild bruise, I'm fine, but my fork is more of a spork. I left it at Community to see if they can cold set it back into place. Good news is that the driver works for Lyft and they've got mad awesome insurance which will basically pay for everything. I did have to sardine myself into a rush hour train to Forest Hills and do some walking. I dunno how normal people put up with that shit every day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015

Damn. Glad you're mostly okay and it's getting paid for. That sucks though."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Columbus was so narrow today -- I almost got right-hooked twice on between crossing Mass Ave and approaching the start of the SWC.

Glad you're okay @mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2015

My first and only dooring happened after a big winter storm, on shitty narrowed plowed streets. Take the lane, yo.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthormfratt

Hah. I must have door bait hidden in my bag or something. *THREE* way-too-close-for-comfort doors popped in front of me today. One was in the middle of a fucking intersection. One, I caught with my hand and threw it back in his face, and one was a little old lady to whom I yelled, "Yo! Check your fucking mirror" as I was evading her door. All I heard behind me was, "You shouldn't swear like that." Which, to be honest, made me feel a little bad but mostly made my day.
    One time I almost got doored by some punk teenager getting out of the passenger side in Union Square. I yelled, "HEY WATCH YOUR DOOR!" and she yelled, "HEY WATCH YOUR ASS!" And I was like...touche.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I've been nearly doored sooooo many times, though not for a long time (knock wood). Weirdest: While I was splitting lanes through stopped traffic, a driver opens his door IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LONGFELLOW BRIDGE. Huh?? Where the hell did he think he was going? I somehow managed to squirm around that one by leaning and sliding my body along the car in the left lane. Still don't know how I avoided getting hit.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015

Evan, your ass IS large <3I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    SO large. Oddly, not in charge.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I saw a folding bike getting loaded into the back of an ambulance on Tremont late late last night. Anyone know anything? Didn't see the guy, firefighters that were also there said they didn't know what had happened, just an injured cyclist.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015 edited

Nothing on Boston EMS Incidents twitter account, so it probably wasn't anything serious. Nothing in scannerland either.
    Fatal accident at River & Putnam in Cambridge today according to Cambridge twitter.

Was just thinking yesterday that maybe we can go a year without a fatal bicycle crash this year.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorDoubleL
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015

This too around the same time. Sounds like this was a pedestrian, but still awful to hear two incidents happening today...

http://www.universalhub.com/2015/woman-hit-truck-charles-circle-traffic-standstill
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015 edited

I hate seeing the spike in collisions correlate to nicer weather. The sun's been out and in two days I've witnessed a few "omg no don't do it" moments coming into work and going home. Like mom said, "we're worried about the OTHER drivers!"
    Be careful out there and beware the fairweathers and lorry alike!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

two incidents?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

^ Seems so:

http://cambridge.wickedlocal.com/article/20150311/NEWS/150318979
    Aww fuck. Anyway, female cyclist checking in.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Globe story.

Apparently that one was on Putnam between Pleasant and Allston streets, and it was a dump truck. Both victims were women in their 60s."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Really sad when I heard about this, esp as I've been incredibly lucky in my accidents. Really hope we can get to a 0 year sometime soon.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015

^you realize that the way boston is, it's not going to be 0 for a long-ass time, right? probably never?

#raiseyourhalfemptyglass
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015

Cyclist down and being loaded onto a stretcher at Wash an MLK this morning. Hopefully they're alright. All the fair weathers are coming out in force and riding like they forgot how to ride since the fall.
    • CommentAuthorben

To be fair, a large number of them never knew how to ride in the first place.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ben:To be fair, a large number of them never knew how to ride in the first place.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

GUYS, i increased my douche status x100 because i traveled to berlin/copenhagen. how many times should i bring that up in bike advocacy conversations in the next 5 years?

example: "well, when i was in copenhagen, everyone had roller brakes. and there were giant bike orgies in the street."

that is all...for now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

GUYS, we all know Boston generally sucks ass for riding in, let's keep it that way and not enjoy enjoyable riding elsewhere. Not wanting to almost get killed everyday is super douchy."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^amen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

i should point out that even in the world-famous bike friendly city that is portland, the local cycling community has been up in arms about how unfriendly the city is to cyclists over the last few weeks

even if the fatality rate is 0 and bikes actually become a meaningful part of traffic people will still complain
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015

I think Boston is fine for biking. The craziness is part of the fun for me.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^typical ben.
    ben:I think Boston is fine for biking. The craziness is part of the fun for me.

While I agree I would also like to have people say "Oh you ride in the city? That's great!" instead of "Do you have a death wish?"Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

the fun is only for us because we love alleycats and flipping off cars #fixietrix
    ben:I think Boston is fine for biking. The craziness IS the fun for me.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

rock dathe:i should point out that even in the world-famous bike friendly city that is portland, the local cycling community has been up in arms about how unfriendly the city is to cyclists over the last few weeks

even if the fatality rate is 0 and bikes actually become a meaningful part of traffic people will still complain

I think people always complain no matter how good things get. I guess that's not bad, because things can always get better. I have a friend here in Rochester who is a big part of our version of BCU, and I hear him complaining about things and I'm like "Dude, we have it so good here..."

I remember we had a someone on the forum for a while who was from LA, and he was like "How can you complain -- Boston is a cycling paradise and everyone is so friendly here!"::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015

chr|s sedition:
    ben:I think Boston is fine for biking. The craziness IS the fun for me.
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

the craziness is cool until you get hit bad. but in actuality, it's not even that cool. it's just lame. it's lame to be in a city with shitty infrastructure, especially one that soapboxes about its infrastructure...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I hate the talk about infrastructure. To me, the single best thing the city could do to improve cycling safety is just repave all the streets. REPAVE DAMMIT.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Also, people not being assholes is an enormous part of it, but people suck so that's not going to happen. The craziness really, really wears you down sometimes. Limiting car access (and maybe deflating driver's egos a bit) would do wonders."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

if you have good infrastructure, you just have to have people fill it. if you have bad infrastructure, you have to bank on people not being assholes and being exceedingly vigilant.
    my vote goes for 1) enforcement of any laws at all against car drivers, 2) infrastructure that's not that elaborate, but makes you feel like you're not going to get murdered - like even paint-buffered bikelanes specifically on uphills so you don't get ragey buzzers when you're going slow - then I think more people might ride and carelessness hits might drop, as evidence from studies suggests. I actually really like bike boulevards - make a street open to everyone but cumbersome to drive on, so the people driving their last quarter-mile home won't really care, and other people will avoid and it will be better for bikingi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Infrastructure I think is only part of it, there is so much aggression present in Boston in general, especially on the roads, it makes people crazy, combined with a lack of knowledge about bicycle rights, it ends up a mess for us."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

why would there be aggression if the infrastructure quelled it? why would you need people to learn about bicycle rights when there are no accidents?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

maybe i should just scream into nuben's butthole instead of complaining here. at least he'd enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

In what world would any amount of improved infrastructure change the social climate of a city? In what reality would an already over-crowded city not have overlap between cars and bikes?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    i always like to point out "car on car" violence. Every driver loves to talk about how crazy cyclists are, flagrant with the rules, etc.

like bitch, have you never had to deal with crazy drivers, while youre driving?

When im driving, i deal with way more frustration/crazy people driving than i do crazy drivers while im biking. Its hard to drive here without having your blood pressure rise, but i only have heated moments on the bike like, under 5 times a week, though maybe ive just grown accustomed to letting shit roll off my back when im biking.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I always listen to calming NPR podcasts when I'm driving. Helps quell the murderous rage.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    It is odd how you can walk into a room of people and go "All the drivers around here are terrible!" and get unanimous agreement and an outpouring of anecdotes, and then the next day walk into the same room and say "I heard a bicyclist got hit by a car down the street" and immediately the snide speculations and "he probably deserved it"s come out.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

6kidz:In what world would any amount of improved infrastructure change the social climate of a city? In what reality would an already over-crowded city not have overlap between cars and bikes?

I think it would. Easier cycling = cycling looks more attractive to regular people, because a lot about driving sucks = more people ride bikes = more drivers also ride or know people who ride, so they become more socially accountable for their douchebaggery = city becomes a better place to ride in"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

No amount of improved infrastructure or improved law enforcement will be able to prevent people who are already assholes from continuing to be assholes. What the infrastructure *can* do is mitigate the amount of damage said assholes will inflict, and what the enforcement can do is deter them from being assholes in quite as dangerous a way the next time. These things are both much more expensive (and, IMHO, less effective) than just not being an asshole, but I'm not sure if the latter is possible at all in Boston.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus