Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited

^^I've got a car with roof racks that don't require you to remove the front wheel. It's be nice not to get paint on it, but I suppose I could just put a rag between the clamp and downtube.

[:|][all your base are belong to us]
    A buddy of mine who would know says the guy that got hit today is a 37yo dude from Watertown, he is alive and in surgery.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010

We can also just carry the bike on/in our bags? Someone get the wheels and bars, someone else get the frame. Of course if we're rushing this and the paint is wet, that might not work so well.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

would it be a possibility to paint the bike at the site? this way you wouldn't have to wait for it to dry enough and there could be a gathering of some sortMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^^yeah, that's what shane suggested. personally i wouldn't be into carrying the ghost bike on our bikes while we ride over the tracks that killed the guy. also, this is a lesser point, but it's heavy as shit.

^i think there would potentially be issues with spray paint fucking up other people's properties, cause there's lots of on-street parking there and it's flanked by buildings on a not-that-wide sidewalk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

You could do it on Colburn, there is a ton of empty space back there.Fuck yeah.
    • CommentAuthorben

It will take multiple coats, and at least 3 or 4 hours to get it done ok. I'd rather not rush this and have it look half-assed. Do people really want to wait around outside while doing this?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

I'm heading out, but we're currently doing this at trizzt's house at 6. Talk to him about moving the location if that's what ya'll wanna do.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    If the bike rolls okay it's easy enough to ride with an extra bike.

[:|][all your base are belong to us]
    Dan Roch:We've been doing some coverage of both the accidents.. Im a designer at 7News But, I can contact a producer and see if they wanna cover a story about the ghost bike.

It might be helpful to the surviving family to see community support (that would not otherwise be able to make it out to the funeral).All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthordjd

This is making me even more furious at the two fucking idiots who decided to go for a jog yesterday in the bike lane on the Mass. Ave. bridge during rush hour. Two abreast, no less. Of all the stupid ways to endanger a cyclist—make them go around you into a road where cars drive 40 mph.
    South Dartmouth is pretty small, my mom might know the family, if only peripherally. I'll ask when I get the chance.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

The producers sent it off to the assignment desk so now its up to them.. they may send someone.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    this may be helpful
    http://www.ghostbikes.org/howtoYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthortristan

Xue is here with the bike. It is prime for ghosting. Come on over.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorpete

Is 11 @ Huntingdon & S. Huntingdon confirmed?
    be seeing ya soon.
    So from what I have been told by co-workers with BPD District 14 and Boston EMS, the reason that Ghost Bikes are taken down is that the city of Boston has an ordinance saying that memorials can only stick around for something like 7 to 9 days. The reason for this is that there is a lot of secondary violence at memorials set up for victims of gang violence (shootings, stabbings, etc). This happened last week where there was a shooting at the memorial for some other kid who was shot. Boston reacts by taking down memorials to people killed in the city no matter what is put there, whether its a Ghost Bike or just candles and pictures and stuff like that. Cambridge and Brookline dont care as much, this is just within the city of Boston.

I think its crap, we need to change things so Ghost Bikes can stay up as a warning and a memorial. Just sayin'
    misspinkbike:So from what I have been told by co-workers with BPD District 14 and Boston EMS, the reason that Ghost Bikes are taken down is that the city of Boston has an ordinance saying that memorials can only stick around for something like 7 to 9 days. The reason for this is that there is a lot of secondary violence at memorials set up for victims of gang violence (shootings, stabbings, etc). This happened last week where there was a shooting at the memorial for some other kid who was shot. Boston reacts by taking down memorials to people killed in the city no matter what is put there, whether its a Ghost Bike or just candles and pictures and stuff like that. Cambridge and Brookline dont care as much, this is just within the city of Boston.

I think its crap, we need to change things so Ghost Bikes can stay up as a warning and a memorial. Just sayin'

how many people outside the "cycling community" actually know what a ghost bike is/means?But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    the point of it being a ghost bike is that it actually says what and why its there on the plaque.
    • CommentAuthorjing

octalink magic:
    misspinkbike:So from what I have been told by co-workers with BPD District 14 and Boston EMS, the reason that Ghost Bikes are taken down is that the city of Boston has an ordinance saying that memorials can only stick around for something like 7 to 9 days. The reason for this is that there is a lot of secondary violence at memorials set up for victims of gang violence (shootings, stabbings, etc). This happened last week where there was a shooting at the memorial for some other kid who was shot. Boston reacts by taking down memorials to people killed in the city no matter what is put there, whether its a Ghost Bike or just candles and pictures and stuff like that. Cambridge and Brookline dont care as much, this is just within the city of Boston.

how many people outside the "cycling community" actually know what a ghost bike is/means?

i remember the ghost bike by northeastern gym couple years ago .. that was up for quite a long time
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheFall

"get the news to show up
    film it
    create awareness"

YES, thank you Karl. This is key, and the following article just validated this for me further...

Check out the following for some FASCINATING statistics:

http://www.transalt.org/files/newsroom/magazine/003Summer/goodcyclist.html

I know this is regarding NYC, but traffic laws are more or less the same in every city. This article could be universally applicable in my opinion. Something about the fatality on Huntington yesterday in particular really got to me. Maybe it's the fact I ride that route frequently, and have almost been run over after getting caught in the tracks (by a train) at that very intersection. Or the fact I have several cyclist friends who call that chunk of Huntington/S. Huntington home. The widely reported, and therefor allegedly apparent attitude of the general public regarding these accidents, both here, in NYC, and possibly elsewhere, allows a diffusion of responsibility that is really upsetting.

I really hope that something so beautiful and dear to me and many people I care about doesn't lessen the level of regard for my life in the eyes of, you know, other human beings.

'Cause that would suck.

Ultimately, I feel this is not so much about cars and bikes; this is about people and the way they perceive and value others. It's both that simple, and that complicated. If the safety of cyclists was regarded as highly as that of motorists and pedestrians by authority figures, and the general public, I can imagine a whole lot would be different law-wise, in both the engineering of the roads, and for the people on bikes that use and pay taxes on them.

Thoughts?

Also, I will come tonight and capture video footage."...except for the SS Urine Fetish..that one can sink to the bottom of the fucking ocean." -Gilbert
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

617-725-0775 < 7 News assignment desk.. If they don't show up tonight call them.. tell them what happened and that you have footage.. As long as you have some good footage they may air it tomorrow day/night.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    • CommentAuthorowen

If you need any help moving the ghost bike I have a kid trailer you could use.

Also, when are we putting the bike up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Fuuuuuck, I gotta start wearing my helmet again. I've gotten complacent.

The cyclist who got killed on Huntington, it was right in front my ex's apartment. I'm pretty sure she had something to do with it (bitch).

Seriously though, this fucking sucks. I have no idea who this guy was, but it makes you realize how fragile we are and I can't help but feel bad for his family. :/

If anybody needs any help with the ghost bike or anything, I'm down.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorben

Owen, we're putting the bike up by 11 and people will be gathering then if you want to come join. I have a few candles and such.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheFall

Dan Roch:617-725-0775 < 7 News assignment desk.. If they don't show up tonight call them.. tell them what happened and that you have footage.. As long as you have some good footage they may air it tomorrow day/night.
    Spoke to someone. He said if I get decent footage, there is a very likely chance that they will air it at some point tomorrow. So we'll see.."...except for the SS Urine Fetish..that one can sink to the bottom of the fucking ocean." -Gilbert
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

Awesome, Yeah I wish I had more pull but I've only been here for about 6 months. I did just get a promotion though....Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    • CommentAuthortristan

The bike looks great, the sign looks great, and we are ready to roll. If anyone has a thought on waterproofing our cardboard (hopefully temporary) sign, I'd like to hear it.
    Many thanks to all who came by to help out, hope to see a bunch more of you there at 11 for the installation/vigil.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthormauspad

bike is painted and ready. iliketurtles is taking it on his car rack at around 10pm to 890 huntington. it's drizzling a little out, but i think the gathering is still on for 11pm.
    good job.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

trizzt: If anyone has a thought on waterproofing our cardboard (hopefully temporary) sign, I'd like to hear it.

Yo, get to an art store quick and get a large, clear plastic bag- pull it tight, then use a lighter to seal around it.

Great job y'all. I hope to be there.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormauspad

sara underwood from fox25 is now saying that the biker hit by the common today has died. still, it's twitter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

I had just heard that he made it- but I also got a reliable he wasn't wearing a helmet from someone in the Starbucks.enjoy two cosmetics
    • CommentAuthortristan

If anyone has a clear plastic bag they could bring to the vigil, that would be great. Thanks.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorChicagoKarl

Hope to see you guys tonight @11
    • CommentAuthorpete

what size is the sign?
    if anyone needs transport who cant otherwise ride there or something whisper me and we'll try and work it out.
    • CommentAuthorGrim Ryan

trizzt:If anyone has a clear plastic bag they could bring to the vigil, that would be great. Thanks.

Would saran wrap and tape work? ill bring a roll of saran and duck tape just in case.Duffman Can't Breathe
    • CommentAuthorpete

I've been told by Graham @ suffolk (not sure if he's on here?) that Nicole Freedman has said that if she's told about a ghost bike going up, she'll tell whoever takes them down to leave it up. Whether or not they do is another story, but it sounds like she has our backs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMAC

Flowers tied to a lamp post at the Boston Common intersection. I've heard from some people that the cyclist passed away, but I don't see any official statements. This is so horrible.
    Ride safe guys. No more trouble on the road please.bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

Trying to find a car ride over- already whispered turtles.. but I broke my collarbone so I can't ride. Can anyone halp?enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    bad night for me, can't go, i was hoping i wouldn't have to go to one of these since the gordon riker accident a few years ago
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

I have an unconfirmed report from a source inside the newton police station that the cyclist hit today did die and that he was a courier who lives in newton.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthormauspad

this sucks.
    ChicagoKarl:

Hope to see you guys tonight @11

Sobering event to meet some of ya'll, but I am on the way.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

fuck you @sara_underwood! "Good News: Info reported to me by witness incorrect. BPD telling me Beacon Hill bicyclist in hospital. Wishing him well. #fox25"
    eBAUMANN:I have an unconfirmed report from a source inside the newton police station that the cyclist hit today did die and that he was a courier who lives in newton.

whoa. fuck.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.