Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015

In my experience, it seems like actual Boston drivers at least have things figured out concerning sharing the road with bikes. Drivers with far-away plates tend to be much worse assholes towards cyclists, adding to my theory that seeing and interacting with cyclists regularly makes you a better driver. People who only ever drive on highways and rarely see cyclists can't handle it here and buzz and harass us more. I still think that designing roads with the expectation that people will ride bikes on them make for fewer confrontations overall."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    1) Andy has a good point - some of the scariest "city" streets are the ones leading to/from a highway

2) Let's move this discussion to the infrastructure thread instead of bumping the scary threadi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015 edited

Oh, no. This was one of Brittany's students at Boston Bikes. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/20/teen-on-bike-killed-in-dorchester/::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015

:(I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Another crash in Neponset Circle around 4:30, 46 year old male Dot resident - no word on condition other than "serious"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015

Yesterday I rode by a pedestrian who had been hit somehow on beacon and Gloucester or something. She seemed okay, just super shaken up.

People were driving like it was fuckin bumper cars yesterday :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    A day or two ago I had 2 dudes in a huge pickup try to merge onto me coming up to Cambridge St on Webster from S'ville. They did eventually give way when I didn't back down and yelled at me to get the fuck off the road.

This morning in the same spot I fell off my bike because I was starting up from a trackstand and my baggy shorts got caught on my cruiser bars.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Aha that's the worst. I get my shorts caught of my downtube shifters at red light. Then when i try to get moving again I shift. Trying some dura ace barcons on the dt on my new build cause theyre a bit more low profile.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2015

they got shifters you can put on your handlebars now
    • CommentAuthorJimi
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015

Hubway was just right hooked in front of me at Salem and cross in the northend.
    She's okay but wtf...Hi, my name is Jimi and I'm a bike addict
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015

Two children on bike in Mattapan last night struck by hit-and run driver, one killed::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

And now I'm getting pissed of at people who are otherwise friends of mine for BCU'ing it up and trying to co-opt this tragedy to make it about a need for more cycle tracks. NO, IT'S NOT. NOT THIS ONE. THIS ONE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CYCLE TRACKS. THIS ONE'S ABOUT NOT BEING A FUCKING CRIMINAL ASSHOLE.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

pocky:And now I'm getting pissed of at people who are otherwise friends of mine for BCU'ing it up and trying to co-opt this tragedy to make it about a need for more cycle tracks. NO, IT'S NOT. NOT THIS ONE. THIS ONE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CYCLE TRACKS. THIS ONE'S ABOUT NOT BEING A FUCKING CRIMINAL ASSHOLE.

That's fucking gross. Also all the people who are all "why are kids out so late? The parents are mostly responsible". NOT THE FUCKFACE DRIVING INTO THEM AND RUNNING AWAY? RLY?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

"Cycletracks fix all problems. All hail the cycletracks. We shall do as the supreme cycletrack commands us."Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015 edited

jesus fucking christ, why do we make it so easy for these people to drive cars?

Imagine if the conversation were "how fucking easy would it be to have license scanners and a breathalyser (maybe even a lockbox for phones or programs to lock them on maps when the car is on) in cars? But no, it's "we need to build cycle tracks", basically implying that bikes shouldn't be on roads without them and it's always your fault, no matter how reckless or negligent the driver is."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015 edited

^Hear hear. I'm currently in an internet fight with morons who keep claiming that the Forest Hills plan is dandy because "there will be protected bike lanes." Meanwhile, those of us who don't happen to be going the exact direction as the bike paths now have to navigate six lanes of gridlocked car traffic. Ugh.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2015

Hit-and-run crash sends bicyclist flying into air at Mass. Ave. and Boylston

Stay safe out there, don't trust anyone."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2015

There were a bunch of cops towing a car that was on top of a red bike with a specialized saddle (all I could make out) in front of my laundromat on Broadway in east Somerville. Couldn't figure out if anyone was on it at the time because it was in a parking spot, and I can't find any news about it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2015

cyclist killed by truck at mass and beacon."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Came here to post that. :(I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    According to twitter she was not breathing but had a pulse. BostonZest may be listening to the scanner too closely.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2015 edited

Yeah, and there were no other links.

Edit: it's updated with more info."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Boston globe has an article with a photo and more info.

A woman bicyclist was fatally injured in a hit-and-run crash Friday morning near the intersection of Beacon Street and Massachusetts Avenue, on a popular Back Bay route for bicyclists, Boston police said.

Boston police said the woman, who was in her 20s, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

She was struck by a tractor-trailer unit pulling a flatbed trailer loaded with steel, said Boston Police Superintendent Bernard O’Rourke.

He said surveillance cameras in the neighborhood captured the incident and some of that footage may be released to the public later Friday.
    I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

EDIT: Obviously without looking at the surveillance footage it's hard to point fingers. However, a hit and run is utterly inexcusable.
    Is it inexcusable if they didn't even know they hit and killed a person?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

banana truffles:Is it inexcusable if they didn't even know they hit and killed a person?

Yeah I've had a pretty thought provoking discussion with some co-workers this morning. I've never driven a vehicle larger than a small SUV, so I guess I wouldn't know. But I suspect driving a vehicle that large, the driver probably wouldn't have known if a compact car had crashed into it. I may have spoke too soon.
    ThreePete:
    banana truffles:Is it inexcusable if they didn't even know they hit and killed a person?

Yeah I've had a pretty thought provoking discussion with some co-workers this morning. I've never driven a vehicle larger than a small SUV, so I guess I wouldn't know. But I suspect driving a vehicle that large, the driver probably wouldn't have known if a compact car had crashed into it. I may have spoke too soon.

It's a complex situation. I don't know what the answer is besides limiting the size of trucks in cities, or having segregated bike paths.
    Either way it fucking sucks and it makes me sick to my stomach.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

if you are going to be driving a big ass truck through a city full of pedestrians, cyclists, and smaller cars, you should be mandated to have:

Side guards
    impact detection devices
    side view cameras
    training in how to drive in a city full of people.

If you can't or wont do these simple things, your company shouldn't be able to operate something so deadly in the city.this wont hurt a bit...
    I MISS YOU SHANEYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

I've become numb to driver's who signal for a turn at the last minute. I recall in driver's ed drivers having to use their signal 100 feet (at minimum) before the intended turn.

It's even more frustrating when they do it at a stoplight just as the light turns green and cyclists are pulled up to the right of them. Recipe for a right-hook accident.

^^Banana, it really makes my blood boil when you read some of the shit these insensitive assholes post in the comments section.
    NEVER READ THE GODDAMN COMMENTS SECTION DUDE. NEVER.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorben

Yeah that's like internet 101I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

GODDAMNIT IT'S TOO LATE WHY IS IT NOT A STICKY ON THE FORUM! I ALREADY READ THEM ALLLLLLL!

Fuck, I gotta go slash some cagers' tires. Brb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Oh shit, this was Amy's friend and work colleague. (Amy who rides the red Brompton and tiny Ti Van Nicholas). :(::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

stilgar:if you are going to be driving a big ass truck through a city full of pedestrians, cyclists, and smaller cars, you should be mandated to have:

Side guards
    impact detection devices
    side view cameras
    training in how to drive in a city full of people.

If you can't or wont do these simple things, your company shouldn't be able to operate something so deadly in the city.

Thank you, Shane, that's kind of how I feel about it. I see how fast drivers go across the bridge and take that turn.

I'm not a huge fan of costly infrastructure changes but a bike-only traffic signal here would help immensely. Drivers shouldn't be able to turn right across a lane of traffic, which is exactly what a bike lane is.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    There are so many life-and-death intersections that could be made much, much safer with bike-only signalsi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    BUT YOU DONT PAY ROAD TAXES AND WHY SHOULD 1% OF THE POPULATION GET SPECIAL TREATMENT PLUS I SAW A BIKER RUN A RED LIGHT ONCE SO YOU ALL ARE CRIMINALS BLAH BLAH BLAH
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

For the record, I think I'd be more inclined to stop at a bike-only signal than a normal red light. So, more bike signals could equal fewer scofflaws.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Drivers don't even respect regular signals, they wouldn't give a thought to plowing through a bike signal. I think it's also super important to offer advice to newer riders (not that I have any idea how experienced this person was, sometimes things just come out of nowhere). The way I learned to watch those things super closely was by very, very nearly getting crushed by a semi doing the same thing (turning right from the left-most lane), and they very rarely do it slowly and use signals. You have to be ready, and too many of us learn the hard way instead of being warned ahead of time."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Yeah, my first year of cycling in Boston was full of rude awakenings that nearly killed me. This after a several years of urban riding in Seattle.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

^^ She was not a new rider. She was a dedicated year-round bike commuter.

I am not going to ask her grieving friend for more details than she already gave, but that should suffice to tell us that you can't "chodesplain" this one.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I hope it didn't come off that way, I tried to make it clear that I didn't know how much they rode and it could happen to anyone. Just wanted to add the point because I think it makes more practical sense than bicycle lights."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Yeah, no worries -- I think that it would make more sense (and be less personally scary) if she were inexperienced, but here that's not the case.

I see a lot of chodesplainin' going on (not necessarily from this crowd) whenever we hear about these things and I think it's as bad as helmetsplainin'. Even if you're hardcore, sometimes shit happens, and when infra is terrible and drivers are massholes, it's even more of a crapshoot.

Whatever, you're still statistically less likely to get killed on a bike than inside a car, per hour ridden/driven. It annoys me that so many people are completely ignorant of that fact.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

^truth"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Something interesting -- don't squeal on me if you meet them (joeyfresh that means you), but lots of people in Rochester -- townies, chodes, and bike nuts alike -- ride like complete d-bags and CARS DO NOT CARE.

I think it's cultural.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    so are ghost bikes now considered to be in poor taste? cause...if people keep losing their lives around here, why aren't there a ton of bikes or things? not trying to be crass. i understand that ghost bikes are considered unsightly and "trash" chained to public areas, but they are important physical markers/memorials of danger no matter what your opinion.
    There have been ghost bikes put up for the past few years for every bicyclist killed. I think the city removes them after a few years/months.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorMJ

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015

Again, I hate the "cycletracks fix all problems!" sensibility but the Harvard Bridge is one place that could seriously use an infrastructure change for cyclists. Pedestrian sidewalk should be narrowed and that wall moved to protect cyclists as well. Then a light system that actually acknowledges bikes as a lane of traffic. I've seen way too many huge trucks just like that one blast across the bridge and take that right at ungodly speeds without signaling. Terrifying and deadly for even the most experienced cyclists.

Pocky, my heart goes out to your friend, and to everybody who knew this woman.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015 edited

I thought I wouldn't be a fan of cyclotracks until I was using them in Montreal. Sometimes they were annoying, but generally on the busier streets they were fine. Cyclotracks still don't fix the problem of people driving with lack of awareness. I spend a lot of time on the road driving and riding my bike. Working on the ambulance for a police based service, I've called in eratic driving to our dispatch and see people run red lights and stop signs without realizing it. A truck that size shouldn't even be in thr city, especially now that the rail yard is closed.