Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorerie
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015

Glad everyone here is safe, RIP to the woman killed. I still have a ghost bike right outside my office door, it's impossible not to worry about more of these incidents every single day. So sad.
    ThreePete:
    banana truffles:Is it inexcusable if they didn't even know they hit and killed a person?

Yeah I've had a pretty thought provoking discussion with some co-workers this morning. I've never driven a vehicle larger than a small SUV, so I guess I wouldn't know. But I suspect driving a vehicle that large, the driver probably wouldn't have known if a compact car had crashed into it. I may have spoke too soon.

Late pass here but I can weigh in on this - having ridden in a semi hauling logs a few times as well as driving one down a deserted Maine road to see what it was like, I can say that it is extremely loud inside the cab, especially when starting from a stop. You're shifting gears every two to three seconds, the engine is roaring, chains and whatever else is clanking against the trailer or back of the cab. The only way to know if that noise was a rock bouncing up, chain hitting something, transmission lugging, or someone going under your wheels is to have actually seen it, and the mirrors are adequate for seeing cars and other large things but are often inadequate for seeing people. You all know the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" phrase, well it's even worse with pot lid mirrors (that's what convex mirrors are called apparently)Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

^Um, but this was a right hook. Meaning the truck driver drove right past the cyclist yet failed to account for her speed, her position, her safety, her life. I have no sympathy to this driver. He failed. He gambled with her life and lost. I don't care whether he knew he hit her or not. He should have known and failed to know. It's his responsibility and he should bear the full brunt of that responsibility.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015 edited

^Is there conclusive evidence that this is what happened? Did they release video footage? (Not being a dick, or trying to prove a point - there was mention of video footage existing and I wanna know)

I don't think a right hook implies the above. I've been at a red light stopped next to a car (just a little ahead, so I could be more visible to the driver adjacent) and been near right hooked when the light turned green.

Patiently waits further developments from Boston PD about the truck driver's interrogation/interview/whatever.
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

you guys gotta keep in mind that there are a ton of variables: whether she rode up after he was at the light, not realizing the truck was going to take a right, the fact that it was 7:30 and people are doing morning things everywhere (aka: brain dead while commuting)...there are just too many "what-ifs" to place blame specifically on one person. Then there's the matter of first hand accounts, which TBH, i think there were few people watching a random bicyclist and a truck on a super busy corner. Vilifying without any good evidence is just as bad as people saying "omg, if she were wearing a helmet/omg they all run red lights/etc."
    I think we can all agree that infrastructure and shipping paradigms that rely heavily on humans never, ever making mistakes is the problem herei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben

smoothness:you guys gotta keep in mind that there are a ton of variables
    Agreed. I also know that after riding across the bridge I can end up flying down Mass pretty fast toward Beacon if the winds are right and no one is in my way.

If she was an experienced bike commuter she may have had a lot of speed coming down the hill off the bridge. And if the truck - which was in the far left lane - had just gotten a green she would likely have kept her momentum to continue through the light, never expecting the truck to turn right across two full lanes of traffic.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

^ This is pretty much exactly how I got slammed into Public Alley 908 last year. Except the driver was taking a left turn across two lanes of stopped traffic.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    nerdo:^Um, but this was a right hook. Meaning the truck driver drove right past the cyclist yet failed to account for her speed, her position, her safety, her life. I have no sympathy to this driver. He failed. He gambled with her life and lost. I don't care whether he knew he hit her or not. He should have known and failed to know. It's his responsibility and he should bear the full brunt of that responsibility.

I'm not pointing blame or excusing anyone, I'm explaining why a driver of an 18-wheeler didn't hear someone hit the truck.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Follow-up question: Can they tell when they've hit a curb?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:Follow-up question: Can they tell when they've hit a curb?

Maybe from the movement of the trailer rocking, but fleshy bags of mostly water are much less likely to rock a trailer than a curb.

I have seen a semi hit a curb so hard a tire blew out and then keep going, so maybe not. Or he just did not care.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I'm not asking because I think it means they should be able to tell when they've hit a person - I'm asking because it's sort of a slippery slope of "trucks are big, they can't feel stuff, chill out" to "he couldn't tell he drove up on the sidewalk, chill out".i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    If the cab hits a curb, you'd definitely feel it. If the trailer hits a curb, you might not, especially if the trailer is air-ride equipped because that's what the air-ride is supposed to do.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I find it inconceivable that the driver could be aware that he ran over a person and would keep going. Perhaps he thought the impact was actually a curb. Although, right now I think we shouldn't speculate until more information is released.

What a terrible and tragic accident though. I hope that we can spread more awareness of the growing problem of bicycle/vehicle collisions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015

I'm still amazed at the number of people in even small cars who will pass you with full visibility and immediately right hook you. People just don't want to acknowledge you exist so they block you out of what they consciously see. Unfortunately it's really up to you to assume all drivers are incompetent, read their minds, and make the right guess. If only there were some way to give people who drive proper training and issue them some sort of license..."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Driver's argument: Bikes don't pay taxes blah blah, bikes should have to get licenses blah blah...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Latest Globe article has an interesting interactive map of area cycling fatalities that confirms this was a right hook accident. Lane positioning of the truck suggests the driver was already in motion while entering the intersection. I have yet to see evidence that the driver was not at fault. I find it somewhat fascinating that so many of you are simply inventing evidence on his behalf.

The Globe article also has this great quote:

Kurmann was the latest casualty in a city that had more cycling fatalities per 10,000 bike commuters than Denver, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C., among cities of comparable size where bicycle travel is common, according to a 2014 study.

Food for thought.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:Lane positioning of the truck suggests the driver was already in motion while entering the intersection

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't understand what saying here - I've never seen anyone enter an intersection while standing still. You mean he wasn't starting from a stop & being overtaken on the inside?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Yes. Sorry, I didn't know how to explain that. He did not come to a full stop before making the turn.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorrobotnation
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2015 edited

Ghost Bike Memorial Service this Thursday, Aug. 20th @ 6:30 PM for Anita Kurmann at the intersection of Mass Ave and Beacon St.
    ^ :(clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015 edited

Intentional hit & run yesterday morning heading from Union into Cambridge on Webster. Scary shit.

From Reddit:

My girlfriend witnessed this on her commute this morning, and I wanted to make sure people keep their eyes open incase they see the driver elsewhere around Boston.

It happened on Webster Ave, between Norfolk and Elm Street around 7:38am. A male driver in a dark blue, gray and black Ford pickup passed my girlfriend and another cyclist and yelled out of the window "You fucking moron cyclist, get off the road!" then accelerated past them and intentionally swerved and struck a cyclist in front of them. The cyclist was taken to a hospital with broken wrist/forearm and possibly other fractures.

Unfortunately no one who witnessed the incident was able to get the license plate of the driver.
    I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

What the fuck. How many tri-color pickups are there? Put out a fucking bolo, this person is a serious public threat. Are cops entirely useless?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

When it comes to protecting cyclists, yes.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Fuck that's on my commute, I'll keep an eye out. Do not think I will tell MF about this.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2015

Good idea.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    surprisefries:Fuck that's on my commute, I'll keep an eye out. Do not think I will tell MF about this.

mine, too. yikes.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015

Letter from the person who was hit by that rager in the pickup"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015

TINSHIFA that letter.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

turns out that guy is a friend of my work neighbor/friend.
    she was telling me about what happened and i was like "I READ ABOUT THAT ON A FORUM"

poor guy had serious surgery on his arm and a new-born to deal with and it's kind of amazing that he has composure about the incident.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Reading that letter got me picturing a revenge flick where the injured cyclist says "I forgive you" right before launching a grenade into the guy's pickup.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I hope the driver falls into a woodchipper dick first.

The best part, though, was the commenter who said that traffic calming measures just make people more aggressive. I was all lolduh that's what happens when massive amounts of entitlement are involved.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

lol, my favorites:

"I think what people are missing here is that the drivers are constantly being asked to make accomodations for bikers, yet too many of the bikers simply refuse to follow simple rules of the road. In my opinion, those who ride with children on their bike the wrong way on a one way street are guilty of child neglect or endangerment. People who are riding bikes now on roads such as McGrath Highway or Mystic Valley Parkway are putting themselves and those driving cars in danger..."

"...One of the main reasons is trying to squeeze too many people onto a street that cannot accommodate them. I have driven on Summer Street with a car beside me, a bike in the bike line on my other side, and another bike (without a bike lane) on the other side of the street. This is a dangerous situation for which drivers cannot be blamed. The other day at rush hour, I watched a man coming out of a one-way street (the wrong way), with 2 young children on the back of his bike. I was about to turn onto that one way street. Who would have taken the blame if those people had been hit and injured? I was almost hit by a car who was to afraid to drive in an empty bike lane, preferring instead to drive into my lane. Most of our roads cannot accommodate bike lanes and it is causing dangerous situations."

"HALP, I NEVER FIGURED OUT HOW TO TELL VAST DIFFERENCES IN SIZE AND VOLUME APART. THOSE BICYCLES ARE FAR TOO LARGE FOR REGULAR CITY STREETS. PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE CAR PARKING LANES AND SUCH.""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Also what the fuck with all the people wanting to ban bikes from McGrath? No push for practical things like functioning street lights and repairing that first train overpass? The only speed limit sign I remember seeing was 30mph, and the only times I felt particularly unsafe were when asshats would go out of their way to buzz me. It's a direct road from downtown to my old house! It has less traffic than Mass Ave! FFS!

West end to my old house by McGrath - 2.5 miles, 3 turns

West end to my old house avoiding 28 - 3.5 miles, 13 turns (13 far, far more hazardous turns and narrower roads)"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:lol, my favorites:

"I think what people are missing here is that the drivers are constantly being asked to make accomodations for bikers, yet too many of the bikers simply refuse to follow simple rules of the road. In my opinion, those who ride with children on their bike the wrong way on a one way street are guilty of child neglect or endangerment. People who are riding bikes now on roads such as McGrath Highway or Mystic Valley Parkway are putting themselves and those driving cars in danger..."

"...One of the main reasons is trying to squeeze too many people onto a street that cannot accommodate them. I have driven on Summer Street with a car beside me, a bike in the bike line on my other side, and another bike (without a bike lane) on the other side of the street. This is a dangerous situation for which drivers cannot be blamed. The other day at rush hour, I watched a man coming out of a one-way street (the wrong way), with 2 young children on the back of his bike. I was about to turn onto that one way street. Who would have taken the blame if those people had been hit and injured? I was almost hit by a car who was to afraid to drive in an empty bike lane, preferring instead to drive into my lane. Most of our roads cannot accommodate bike lanes and it is causing dangerous situations."

"HALP, I NEVER FIGURED OUT HOW TO TELL VAST DIFFERENCES IN SIZE AND VOLUME APART. THOSE BICYCLES ARE FAR TOO LARGE FOR REGULAR CITY STREETS. PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE CAR PARKING LANES AND SUCH."

Real talk fuck people who ride the wrong way down one ways, especially with kids. That is fucking inexcusable.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

One ways make no sense for bikes. Not saying that you should do it with kids but in my perfect world, every one-way would have a reverse-flow bike lane by default.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015 edited

nerdo:One ways make no sense for bikes. Not saying that you should do it with kids but in my perfect world, every one-way would have a reverse-flow bike lane by default.

One of the things I loved about Paris was just about every tiny one way was marked two-way for bikes. We even have a large version in Buffalo where they took what used to be a double side parking with 2 way car traffic, made it one way for cars and made 2 full size bike lanes, including correct-facing traffic lights."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

HeavenWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Whoah, just realized this is one of my coworkers. Damn. What Joe said

joeyfresh:I hope the driver falls into a woodchipper dick first.
    I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Send my regards to him, Phil. Please let him know that he's got a posse at BHCHP.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2015

Note that the idiotic comments on that article are entirely from Johnnie Jazz and Pixie Pocahontas, who regulars on the Somerville Times forum seem to indicate are the same person who regularly trolls cycling articles and makes violent threats.

Weirdly, knowing that actually makes me feel slightly better about humanity.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2015

This sounds just like the one up there, but all the dates are recent?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah, based on the earlier description that looks like a different truck. Fuck, man. That street is a goddamn shitshow but it is the most direct by a sight.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Are yous guys possibly getting Sept 29 and Oct 29 confused?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2015 edited

huh, a few hours ago that referenced a local news story created on 10/30 that said it happened on "Tuesday", but now it just links that guy's letter up there^, so it must be the same one getting an extra round of exposure. Hopefully they catch the fucker."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015

Yeah I got real confused by the most recent article, because it kept referencing "Tuesday" and sounded like it was a brand new incident, yet no one (on UHub or anywhere else) seemed to pick up on the fact that it was a second nearly identical assault.

Guess it was just poor reporting.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015

Just read this post from a friend on Facebook:

Just watched a helmetless young cyclist get smashed and spun around like a ragdoll by a luxury sports car whose driver didn't even bother to tap the brakes and then drove off casually as if nothing happened. Instead of a hit and run, it was like a hit and drive off slowly.
    Turned my stomach. I hope the kid is ok (though I suspect not).

Anybody know any other details?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015

#progress. Fingers crossed for justice.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries