Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorstingobango
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011 edited

Jeff's actually a really nice guy...he lent me his cargo trailer a few years back, and I helped him move apartments. I can give him a call

Update: Called Jeff, left a messageI thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011

To add, I do have a bike that I can donate. Not got space to paint it but am in the Central Sq. area.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011

There's already a ghost bike up.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Wait, so did you guys end up doing that ghost bike or not? If not, who did?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

I wasn't involved, and I don't think it was anyone on the forum. All I know is that Tammy posted a picture of it on facebook this morning.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I saw that too. Glad somebody got around to doing it. Maybe it'd be useful to find out who put this up so that efforts aren't duplicated in the future.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:I saw that too. Glad somebody got around to doing it. Maybe it'd be useful to find out who put this up so that efforts aren't duplicated in the future.

And we can piggy back on their clearly superiour organization skills. ;)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^I approve of your Anglican "u".Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011 edited

Photobucket

Explained to my daughter (there on the right) what a ghost bike means. She was very sad and wanted to leave....
    I like her jacket A LOT.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    That picture is kinda the saddest. But your kid is charming, which probably makes it sadder.if you concentrate really hard, you can reverse the flow of the hotdogs
    • CommentAuthorObo

tinyhonkshus:That picture is kinda the saddest. But your kid is charming, which probably makes it sadder.
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

That picture captures a moment I didn't really intend. I kind of wanted her out of the frame but she was transfixed. Many other people were looking on also.
    She's been a cyclist from two; I think that was a shocking moment for her. I didn't plan it, I knew the ghost bike was there but was just passing heading to the river on a ride with her.
    One part of me wonders if I made a mistake, which is pretty easy done in this parenting thing: was this too much? On the other hand, it's education, in a perverse way. Safety is needed and paramount as we know. Maybe illustrates why I'm saying all this safety stuff to her.

Yellow coat is pretty nice. She dresses sharp on a bike....
    i think it was an alright decision. education is education, and something like this is something she should be aware of as a cyclist in boston/any city, no matter the age really. itll probably help he be more safe in riding.
    Not to suggest the exploitation of your kid for everyone's benefit, but that would make a pretty powerful "lookout for cyclists, they're everywhere" PSA image.
    Blobar:Not to suggest the exploitation of your kid for everyone's benefit, but that would make a pretty powerful "lookout for cyclists, they're everywhere" PSA image.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Without graphic details, last night on the way to work I came the closest I've ever come to getting killed on a bike. Someone in an SUV totally blew a red light at about 40mph (Calrendon and St. James). I missed a direct hit by about 2.5 feet. I was totally freaked out for about an hour after I got to work, and not really able to function.

On the way home from work last night, around 4:45am, there was a few patches of fog/mist. One of these patches was at the corner of Mass Ave and Vassar. I had not seen the ghost bike there yet. With the candles, the fog, the all white bike, what happened to my co-worker 2 weeks ago at that very same intersection, and what had happened to me on the way to work, seeing the ghost bike under those circumstances was one of the most chilling and haunting things I've ever experienced. I'm getting a bit freaked out now just thinking about.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Shit man, glad you're safe. there were some fucking stupid drivers out last night.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012

^^ Jesus. It all gets worse and worse. Glad you're OK. Everyone be careful....
    bee:I've volunteered to get chain and a lock. We need:

-bike
    -primer / paint
    -place to prep+paint

What else?

I'm going to shower and eat, and then if nobody has volunteered/found a bike, I'm going to pop by Ferris Wheels and BnB to see if they've got anything. I was going to post on Community Spoke's FB wall to see if they have something, but if you know someone on the CS crew, please get in touch with them.

How are the bikes prepped to keep parts from getting taken off? Couple of tack welds? I suppose some 5 min epoxy in the threads of the bolts etc would do in a pinch.

Let's get this bike up ASAP.

Copying and posting this from the newly started thread....

If we're in a pinch, I have an old 3 spd that could be used, but it's something that's still potentially rideable, so it might not be the best candidate. Bikes Not Bombs might have some junker frames/wheels to slap together...might be worth rolling over there.I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012

Let's avoid rideable stuff for a bit - a couple of months ago FW had a bike sitting in the basement that was in a crash with frame damage and it was never claimed. They had another one which was run over by an 39 bus (fell out of the rack.) If it's still around, that seems poetic.

Headed there in a few. How popular is twitter with people here? #bostonghostbike?Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

found a bike at ferris wheels. Now we need primer/paint etc, volunteers. Should I strip anything off?Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    • CommentAuthorgrev

bee:How are the bikes prepped to keep parts from getting taken off?

strip the bike of pretty much all its superfluous parts: brakes, cables, shifters, etc.not another pitcher!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

K, starting. Still need volunteers, primer, paint, place to paint. I'll be in the basement at ferris wheels pulling stuff; come on by, say you're here to help with the ghost bike.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    just a heads up, there was a ghost bike at this location already for gordon riker. northeastern wanted to remove it because it was causing traffic for pedestrians or something lame like that. iirc it was moved to community bike supply.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Bike's stripped. Still need help and supplies. Anyone?Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    I think the ghost bike around community bike supply was actually for another cyclist who was killed around the same time, by a driver going a crazy speed the wrong way, but I may be wrong. That's a good point though, we don't want to put it in a location where it will be removed immediately. Anyone know how to contact Kristopher Carter, Nicole Freedman's interim replacement? That might help.

I can get primer and paint. Any suggestions from someone who's done it before? One can of white spray primer, one can of white spray paint?I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    white enamel paint.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    bee:Bike's stripped. Still need help and supplies. Anyone?

Where do you plan to paint?I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012 edited

John at Ferris Wheels volunteered his garage, but he's celebrating his birthday, and this is real downer.

Any suggestions? In the meantime, I'm going to wash it to get grease off, and if I can find some scotchbrite or sanding pad, prep it a bit.

If push comes to shove, we can just do it in front of my place (near Arboretum) carefully, out in the grass or something. Doesn't seem to be raining much.

Stingobango - I couldn't figure out how to message you via this forum - check your facebook mail.

I've been asked a few times how I plan on getting it there. I'm thinking the 39 bus via its bike rack. If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Phil's at my place and brought primer and paint. First coat of primer is on- this stuff dries insanely fast, but the bike is, uh, VERY blue. I've got a lock and about 8 feet of chain.

Edit: DONE. Bike's painted and drying on the porch. Thank you, Phil, for your help and paint.

Edit: may not put up the bike tonight. Stay tuned, please.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    Bee: Amazingly quick action and incentive. Big thanks for that effort. You are to be duly commended. While I like the idea of getting it up very quickly, it also might be a good idea to get some PR out as to allow for a larger community showing.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Yeah, also, Phil ran into 'nick' and he suggested waiting until we have a name to put on a sign.

Need someone to make the sign. Any volunteers?Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

^ I think that is wise. Also, her friends might want the opportunity to participate - they might not too, but if she's had bike friends we know they will.
    Rushing at it so quickly eliminates that possibility.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Got in touch with a Globe reporter; he's going to pass along my contact info if their reporter talks with the family or friends.

Edit: ended up asking someone else. Also asked the globe reported not to talk with the family about it so multiple people don't talk with them about it.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    Oh god this thread got posted on Uhub. Prepare for spammers and idiots galore.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012

Whoever posted:

Ghost bike ready to go
    By adamg - 6/2/12 - 8:25 pm#32
    Vote up!
    Volunteers spent today getting an old bike at Ferris Wheels in JP ready for placement at the collision site - they're now waiting to find out the woman's name.

Discussion starts here.

Linked to here

Then put a link to bfixed.

Then I read:

I'm disturbed by the photo of
    By anon (not verified) - 6/2/12 - 9:03 pm#35
    Vote up!
    I'm disturbed by the photo of the very little girl on a bike next to the scene where the cyclist died. Sorry, but I don't think this is appropriate. RIP cyclist.

I took that pic but want to take the image down. It's my daughter and she happened to be in the frame. In a photojournalistic way, I think it was poignant. But even though it's the internet, it was for people here firstly. I don't want to engage with theories from people like the person who made that comment.

Got to say, why did someone post that link to here???
    Saffs:Got to say, why did someone post that link to here???

I'd want that pic taken down, too. (BTW, I thought that was a very moving pic back when I saw it)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

So, we have a name and DOB - who can make the sign?Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

bee:So, we have a name and DOB - who can make the sign?

I think it's great that there is so much support for the loss of a member of our greater community, though I can't help but think that checking with the family of the victim before installing a ghost-bike shrine might be the best course of action."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    I'm with you on that, personally I'd give her family a little time to grieve before people who didn't know her go putting up a ghostbike memorial.
    bee:Yeah, also, Phil ran into 'nick' and he suggested waiting until we have a name to put on a sign.
    that was me, 'mick'

and you need to chill about getting this up so quick, it's not a race, and it should be done right and with the people who know her's knowledge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012 edited

I imagine Bee's heart is in the right place and all... I just reckon it's best to let everything be about the way she lived her life and the people who cared about her for now. I wouldn't be surprised if an impromptu memorial is set up in the near future, there's time for a ghost bike (I'm no expert on the symbolism of a ghostbike, but I figure it's a way of reminding folks that a person on a bicycle was killed there, for now I think people will remember that).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

seanile mick:
    and you need to chill about getting this up so quick, it's not a race, and it should be done right and with the people who know her's knowledge.

I approached someone this morning who knows the family. I believe they have experience in this area and would know when it was appropriate to pass along the message/request. I made it clear that I wanted to respect their wishes.

I'm trying to get everything ready or at least the ball rolling for if/when the family gets in touch. There may be a limited window and short notice; they could be here for a day or a week, tomorrow or next week. Where I've repeated myself, it's because I'm trying to maintain focus in the discussion or encourage people.

By the way: Eric's bike was up in barely 2 days. You all should read the comments from Eric Hunt's father, older brother, aunt, and nephew on BostonBiker.

So. Back on topic: We need a volunteer to make a sign. It doesn't have to be complex, fancy, or time consuming; in 5-10 minutes someone with artistic leanings and access to the right materials could make something that will look far better than I ever could. You can be anonymous if you want to (whisper me.)Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    Eric's was up very quick. The family was moved.

I forget the person's name, but the Ghost Bike on Mass Ave (back in Dec/Jan) was put up quickly, by others, while we floundered to get organized.

Family involvement is great, but I do not think it is *required*.

A sign? Anyone? We must have some people with both durable materials and the art skill on here!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

Phyo's bike was up incredibly fast. I had emailed Nicole Friedman to ask about who to contact re: chaining it there (MIT property? City?) and by the time she responded it was already installed.

Personally I don't quite understand the argument against getting it up fast. The idea of a ghost bike is to serve as both a memorial AND as a reminder. The best time to put up a reminder is when the event is fresh and the most number of people will recognize it for what it is. It would be great to install it when the family is here, but I honestly see no reason/need to have their involvement or even consent before putting it up. The cycling community grieves every time someone dies, and this is our way of expressing that.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    If it were someone people knew I'd say go for it right away, for sure... but I think it's borderline exploitational to take a stranger's life and boil it down to the way in which they died where, I think, it's being done in part to send a message about the dangers faced by bicyclists.

And who fucking cares if someone else put one up first? Again, not a race. When it's framed in that light it goes from borderline exploitational to totally insensitive.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012 edited

If you think ghost bikes are exploitative unless they're done by people who knew the victim, then you're more than welcome to not be involved in their creation.

I think putting up a memorial to someone, which also serves as a reminder that may positively impact people, is unquestionably good.

Edit: You can think it's exploitative to use someone's death as a way to help other people, and you can be bothered by the fact that we care about her death because it happened on a bike. But the fact remains that we are cyclists. And Kelsey died as a cyclist. When someone dies while involved in an activity that is truly at the core of many of our lives, it is not insensitive or inappropriate to care and to respond.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I think it is when you don't give her family and friends a little while to process this. But hey, why not make this all about your community's supposed grief (which in no way compares to the grief of her family and friends).

Don't worry, I will have nothing to do with it.
    Guys....everyone means well in this thread. Please don't let the death of some other cyclist be a moment of division.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.